The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

5 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

But.....but...... my sandals are made of hemp, I ride my bike to the protests, and I get my groceries at Whole Foods! If no one listens to my outrage then what do I have left?

I hear the sarcasm, but I will answer as if you were one of the hypocrites...   The hemp your sandals are made of were grown with a petroleum based ammonia fertilizer, diesel powered equipment was used to harvest it, and different petroleum sources were used to process the materials......   Your bikes tires and all the plastic and vinyl on it are also petroleum based...   So are the roads that you like to ride on...    :lol:

As for what you have left, unless you want to go build a lean-to in the woods (don't use nylon rope to make it) and live off the land (without using any petroleum based products),  you are pretty much screwed...   and don't build a fire to stay warm, as that will only further contribute towards climate change...   :ph34r:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Has there Been Any News on the Arena Negotiations

Well, there is.

The city has a plan (includes city owning the arena).

They are due to engage with the Flames to give their proposal.

It's not a take-it-or-leave-it one, just the framework on how it could be structured.

It removes the insurance and property tax from the Flames, so they would just be a tenant.

26 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

im sure in some form or another .. the amount the Flames ante up could be considered rent , or something along those lines 

I'm actually pretty optimistic about this new round of approach 

So in paying rent, who gets the concession income and ticket sales? 

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Probably up for discussion, but I suspect that the Flames are leasing the building for all Flames related events, which includes ticket revenue and concessions.

Any tickey levy CRL would probably go to the city.

So, essentially the same style of deal as they currently have? 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I would expect , that Flames will get control of the building management .. so they would end up with Concessions , tickets etc.. but I can see parking still being City or Stampede board 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wanted to give a breif update a Friend of mine close to Ken king so knowing the negotiations says without involvement of nenshi Arena negotiations are moving alot smoother then they were originally

That being said These are  Sad times as that same Friend also told me that Ken King is Extremely ill and he would be suprised if he makes it the year with his health status

18 hours ago, cross16 said:

City council was updated today that City and Flames are talking and talks have been productive. 

The economy in Calgary and Alberta is getting worse by the month.  I would venture to guess that in 6 months, Calgary and Alberta will be in deeper recession than we are now.  Couple that with Nenshi's mishandling of business taxes and suddenly the whole city is sensitive to where tax dollars are going.  It's not looking good here.

On 6/29/2019 at 8:12 AM, The_Snowbear said:

Wanted to give a breif update a Friend of mine close to Ken king so knowing the negotiations says without involvement of nenshi Arena negotiations are moving alot smoother then they were originally

That being said These are  Sad times as that same Friend also told me that Ken King is Extremely ill and he would be suprised if he makes it the year with his health status

That is very sad.  I always liked Ken King as  a person, and I hope this is bad info (no offense) or that he beats the odds.   Good man.

• 2 weeks later...

Proposal coming Monday. Not done, but apparently deal is close

Edit: Someone actually calling it a tentative deal that council would need to approve to make it a done deal

A negotiating team for the city is close to reaching a deal with the Calgary Flames on building a new arena to replace the NHL team's aging home rink, a council member says.

Coun. Ward Sutherland told CBC News there is a proposal ready to present to city council on Monday.

"It's not a deal at this particular point, there's still lots of steps to go through. It's really a proposal and we'll be giving an update," Sutherland said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-flames-new-arena-deal-1.5217783?cmp=rss

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Twiiter not working but sounds like a 6PM press conference/availability has been called and both Nenshi and King will be in attendance. 

I want to hear from Nenshi about this one. How do you start from "We are not dedicating any city resources, including land to this venture ..." to [Kermit the Frog voice] "We are pleased to announce a stupendous collaboration that benefits everyone ..."[/Kermit the Frog voice]. 

And the news conference about the arena is delayed for some reason.

3 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Looks promising.

It is rather amusing on the surface. They discuss this since 2007, explicitly for the last few years with a lot of dirty laundry aired, and the answer to the problem is 50/50. I understand that it is more complex than this.