The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

2 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

How much carbon emissions will a $15-billion refinery produce?  

- The Sturgeon refinery will be very efficient and have a low environmental impact compared to other refineries that were buil 40+ years ago.  The oil and gas industry does a poor job of selling this type of improvement.  The environmental groups always seem to win the PR battles. 

I am not sure but, yeah, I believe the Sturgeon will work out quite nicely for carbon emissions in comparison to what is done now.

Yes, definitely over-simplified, but if we have cheap gasoline or diesel we won't have to ship it far.   If we have all the byproducts, we're the natural home to about 100 other industries.  with oil production and refineries all in one spot with no shipping costs inbetween, we would be incredibly competitive.

13 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

The government has  'The current federal and provincial governments have both'  lost control of 'given away' the approval process for oil and gas infrastructure 'in a misguided and ill-thought-out attempt to buy more votes through marxist ideology and a marxist concept of ecological civilization while trying to get us to buy in on their supposed concept of something they call social license,'  The courts and special interest groups now control the process. 'The notion of supposed social licence has proven to be nothing other than a very expensive failure that has only served to cause an accelerated downward spiral of debt for the province and the entire country'.

I did a little bit of editing to your post...   I agreed with what you posted...   I just felt it deserved to be expanded to better reflect the unnecessary hardship being imposed on us by clueless idiots that care more about social engineering to further their agenda, and imposing their unrealistic ideals on us than actually working on viable solutions that work towards reducing pollution with a more realistic approach...

How do we get past this?  I wish I had a solution.  

With just a signature on a document to exercise the right under the constitution for the sake of what is obviously in the best interest of the county, Junior Trudope could have already initiated construction of the pipeline(s) long ago...   But he is obviously too busy virtue signalling and trying to protect votes in an attempt to stay in power while he hopes no one notices what he is doing to massively increase national debt...   Junior sure doesn't have a problem using the same kind of powers he could use to get pipelines built in order to force a carbon tax that has already been proven to have no actual positive effect on reducing pollution on large masses of people that do not want it...   He will continue to grant carbon tax exemptions to the big polluters in the East while he squeezes (steals) everything he can elsewhere including businesses and families that can least afford it, because he needs the money to try and buy more time to continue his efforts to remodel the country into his vision of dystopia...

The new slogan is "He never will be ready"...   

The only viable solution I can see is to vote junior out, and dump his lapdog Nutley to the curb as well...

6 hours ago, Carty said:

I did a little bit of editing to your post...   I agreed with what you posted...   I just felt it deserved to be expanded to better reflect the unnecessary hardship being imposed on us by clueless idiots that care more about social engineering to further their agenda, and imposing their unrealistic ideals on us than actually working on viable solutions that work towards reducing pollution with a more realistic approach...

With just a signature on a document to exercise the right under the constitution for the sake of what is obviously in the best interest of the county, Junior Trudope could have already initiated construction of the pipeline(s) long ago...   But he is obviously too busy virtue signalling and trying to protect votes in an attempt to stay in power while he hopes no one notices what he is doing to massively increase national debt...   Junior sure doesn't have a problem using the same kind of powers he could use to get pipelines built in order to force a carbon tax that has already been proven to have no actual positive effect on reducing pollution on large masses of people that do not want it...   He will continue to grant carbon tax exemptions to the big polluters in the East while he squeezes (steals) everything he can elsewhere including businesses and families that can least afford it, because he needs the money to try and buy more time to continue his efforts to remodel the country into his vision of dystopia...

The new slogan is "He never will be ready"...   

The only viable solution I can see is to vote junior out, and dump his lapdog Nutley to the curb as well...

If Sheer promises to sign the pipeline into law using the Notwithstanding Clause, I will promise to vote Conservative next election despite my disdain for proselytizing religious extremists, racists, and sexists that always seem to find a way to enter the tent. 

I don't think I could vote for the hateful closet case over Notley. She has done a reasonably good job IMO. She became Premier well after oil prices had plummeted and royalties were decimating the province. No way this province comes out of that unscathed. Nobody blamed Lougheed for oil plummet #1. She implemented the carbon tax, but that is really just a redistributive sales tax, and it will be retained should Prince Aladdin stay in power next year. I say he gets a minority next time.

I believe in climate change and efforts to reduce our carbon footprint. It seems to me that there are easier ways to go about addressing the problem myself. Without the US being on board for reals, there is little point.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

One option very seldom talked about is LNG cars.  China and Japan already have this along with LNG gas stations.  LNG plants are less destructive than oil refineries.  Gas pipelines are more receptive to the general public and likley to pass regulatory hurdles.

I never understood why that never took off. Didn't propane and natural gas gain some prominence in the 1990s, and then quickly fade away?

15 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

If Sheer promises to sign the pipeline into law using the Notwithstanding Clause, I will promise to vote Conservative next election despite my disdain for proselytizing religious extremists, racists, and sexists that always seem to find a way to enter the tent. 

You are willing to vote Conservative and side with what you call extremists only if the Conservatives act undemocratically and abuse their power?

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

You are willing to vote Conservative and side with what you call extremists only if the Conservatives act undemocratically and abuse their power?

Using the NWC for a good reason? Yeah. Sometimes, you have to pick the lesser of two evils.

Where am I going to go? I was a federal NDP supporter since Broadbent, but the NDP and Liberals have been taken over by back to feudalism, hippie extremists. They need committees of 14 people to belabour simple issues over a period of 10 years because they obsess over the ethnic, gender, and regional composition of the committee. The Greens are the home of one issue extremism. That leaves me holding my nose voting Conservative. Either that, or just don't bother voting. I had considered the Marijuana Party, but junior took care of them. Good thing. I might need some if he is re-elected.

We need a new fiscal conservative, social liberal party in this country. None of the existing ones are like that right now.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

One option very seldom talked about is LNG cars.  China and Japan already have this along with LNG gas stations.  LNG plants are less destructive than oil refineries.  Gas pipelines are more receptive to the general public and likley to pass regulatory hurdles.

You may be right, but don't forget that the public/environmental groups shutdown the MacKenzie Valley gas pipeline.  Gas pipelines aren't a sure thing.  

Do you mean compressed natural gas (CNG) cars?  That is a little different than LNG.  

3 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

You may be right, but don't forget that the public/environmental groups shutdown the MacKenzie Valley gas pipeline.  Gas pipelines aren't a sure thing.  

Do you mean compressed natural gas (CNG) cars?  That is a little different than LNG.  

Ya i was thinking LNG.  But CNG is even better.

5 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

And what has that got to do with the Flames and the new arena

We just got bored listening to Nenshi and King babble without really getting anything done to work towards getting a new arena built...

Just think of it as a commercial break...   :)

So how does this relate to the arena...

Well, the right, doesn't see the point in creating massive debt Literally for entertainment

The left, well, isn't really known to help out corporations.  Except for nationalizing them (cough cough that recent pipeline buy, and now the railcars).

If we want a new arena we need our economy to do better.  Do we really need a new arena?  Is another serious question.  The "need" for an arena has mostly been described as a technical need, from non-technical business types.

So, if we Must have an arena, imho two solutions lol:

1.  Build a refinery

2.  Nationalize the flames

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

CBC released a story today about an arena design presented to council by the Flames. Why did they hire an architect from Detroit to design it? Surely, architecture is sufficiently advanced in Canada that we can design arenas.

Not sure how those processes work but could it have been an open tender? Interested firms submit rough drafts and the most favorable ideas proceed to the more advanced stages? At the current stage of negotiations does it even make sense to have a full architectural submission?

The only news I get about the subject is from here so if theres been any real progression in talks disregard the above nonsense.

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

CBC released a story today about an arena design presented to council by the Flames. Why did they hire an architect from Detroit to design it? Surely, architecture is sufficiently advanced in Canada that we can design arenas.

Tender process is open and fair.

We can't just say, ooops you are not from Alberta.

In fact, you can't even count out firms from BC and Sask in favor of AB firms.

I like the way DET designed their building.

It doesn't have to look like an oil stain to be iconic.

Build the best design for the fans and users, then worry about the outside look.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Tender process is open and fair.

We can't just say, ooops you are not from Alberta.

In fact, you can't even count out firms from BC and Sask in favor of AB firms.

I like the way DET designed their building.

It doesn't have to look like an oil stain to be iconic.

Build the best design for the fans and users, then worry about the outside look.

They don't have to put it out for tender though. They can just chose whoever they want to design their building. They only have to follow such rules should they decide to make it a competitive bid. 

They don't have to put it out for tender though. They can just chose whoever they want to design their building. They only have to follow such rules should they decide to make it a competitive bid. 

My bad, thought it was the city.

Regardless, the last thing I want is a building that is built outside in.

The Saddledome was a gimmick, which is fine, but you don't need it to become an iconic place to play.

Make the experience better.

Make the footprint condusive to build supporting things.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

My bad, thought it was the city.

Regardless, the last thing I want is a building that is built outside in.

The Saddledome was a gimmick, which is fine, but you don't need it to become an iconic place to play.

Make the experience better.

Make the footprint condusive to build supporting things.

I was just thinking to what Peeps said some time ago about how much the local economy might benefit from a new arena. He claimed that we don't build enough in Canada and would see few benefits. So, when I noticed that the Flames acquired a Detroit architecture firm, I thought that was something that could be done in Canada or Calgary. After the negativity surrounding CalgaryNext, the election, and the charity inquiry, I would assume that any positive news from the Flames, such as using a Canadian architecture firm, would be welcomed. 

I was just thinking to what Peeps said some time ago about how much the local economy might benefit from a new arena. He claimed that we don't build enough in Canada and would see few benefits. So, when I noticed that the Flames acquired a Detroit architecture firm, I thought that was something that could be done in Canada or Calgary. After the negativity surrounding CalgaryNext, the election, and the charity inquiry, I would assume that any positive news from the Flames, such as using a Canadian architecture firm, would be welcomed. 

I've been to both Little Caesar's and Roger's Arena a few times each. LCA is far superior. So please, hire out of Detroit.

Doesn't mean locals don't build it. Architecture is 2 dozen people designing. Calgary surveyors, geologists, builders etc etc.

Requiring $30/hr to carve out a meager living in Canada doesn't help business though. Canada is exxxpensive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, cross16 said:

City has finalized it's 50 year plan for Victoria Park and given some insight into what the area can look like with a new Events Center and no Saddledome

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/victoria-park-saddledome-arena-council-1.4972389

Good looking plan.  Let's hope the Flames also buy into the plan and want to make the new arena their new home.