The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

16 hours ago, Pyromancer said:

SInce when is it up to the people of Calgary? Is he directing these comments at the Flames or the City?

No tax dollars should go to this unless a generous return is guaranteed back to the city.

Edmonton got a new arena in the same economic conditions, the city participated and is already reaping the benefits of revitalization in the area, and that benefit to the city and it's tax base will only continue to grow...

Just now, Carty said:

Edmonton got a new arena in the same economic conditions, the city participated and is already reaping the benefits of revitalization in the area, and that benefit to the city and it's tax base will only continue to grow...

Didn't they have a portion of the Game and Entertainment revenue set to go back into the governments pockets?

27 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Bettman's job is to maximize revenues for the NHL. A new building in Calgary, which is definitely needed IMO and does not meet standards, means move money for the NHL. Bettman is doing his job. 

How does 18,000 people in a new building make more $'s for the NHL than 18,000 in an older building?  Just curious.

12 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

How does 18,000 people in a new building make more $'s for the NHL than 18,000 in an older building?  Just curious.

In comparison to new arenas and from a revenue perspective, the Saddledome lags behind in their premium seats, luxury boxes and the amenities. Dome has a smaller lower bowl than most and fewer luxury boxes which obviously come at a more premium price. That and newer="better" and therefore they can charge more. Not to mention it also would likely increase the franchise value which is very important to the NHL.

that also ignoring the revenue aspect of concerts etc that are currently being missed but i'm not so sure how much of that the Flames would actually see because it would be a City owned building. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

In comparison to new arenas and from a revenue perspective, the Saddledome lags behind in their premium seats, luxury boxes and the amenities. Dome has a smaller lower bowl than most and fewer luxury boxes which obviously come at a more premium price. 

that also ignoring the revenue aspect of concerts etc that are currently being missed but i'm not so sure how much of that the Flames would actually see because it would be a City owned building. 

When they renovated the Dome they removed several rows in the upper portion of the lower bowl in favour of new luxury box seats.  I'm sure this was done because the box seats bring in more money.  The Dome now has two layers of luxury box seats, one in the lower bowl and one in the second level.  I'm not sure I buy your reasoning.  Yes we have a small lower bowl, not sure how this effects seat prices in the middle bowl.

23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Didn't they have a portion of the Game and Entertainment revenue set to go back into the governments pockets?

Basic summary :   http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/how-the-edmonton-arena-deal-was-done

More detail:   http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-city-council-approves-deal-to-build-new-nhl-arena/article7662188/

and:   http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-city-council-passes-new-arena-deal-1.1307767

2 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

When they renovated the Dome they removed several rows in the upper portion of the lower bowl in favour of new luxury box seats.  I'm sure this was done because the box seats bring in more money.  The Dome now has two layers of luxury box seats, one in the lower bowl and one in the second level.  I'm not sure I buy your reasoning.  Yes we have a small lower bowl, not sure how this effects seat prices in the middle bowl.

Well they have 1 layer of luxury boxers and a 2nd row of boxes with 4 stuck in the corners. They can only charge luxury prices for the lower boxes and they don't even fully wrap around the whole arena. They are short a good 4-5 boxes they could add in a new arena, which is a lot of revenue as those boxes are pricey.

either way its not my reasoning its the Flames. Whenever they speak of a new arena they always mention that they are behind the newer arenas in their ability to charge more premium prices because of the smaller lower bowl and being short on luxury boxes. They made it better than they use to be, but they are still behind what new arenas are building. 

45 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Nothing will happen until the NDP are gone and this Province returns to some level of prosperity.

Don't think they will wait that long.

The West Village proposal is dead but they are actively working on Plan B  and the city is engaged in that process. 

33 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

I understand it as more of a maintenance savings thing than a ticket sales thing.  

Like for example, if the roof of the new building is a giant solar panel, then the arena would be partially "off grid" generating excess energy on off days where it can sell energy back to Enmax and make money.  This would be in addition to using virtually no power from Enmax to begin with.  Not saying that that's the plan but the old dome is highly inefficient based on engineering best practices in the 80s.  New buildings are going to be LEED certified now. 

Upgraded HVAC, water efficient systems, high efficiency lights throughout (LED lights or equivalent), refrigeration, automation to cut down labor costs, WiFi ready, etc.

20,000 toilet flushes per sold out event, natural gas usage in Calgary's winter, I mean, that monthly Enmax bill must be dreadful.

56 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I understand it as more of a maintenance savings thing than a ticket sales thing.  

Like for example, if the roof of the new building is a giant solar panel, then the arena would be partially "off grid" generating excess energy on off days where it can sell energy back to Enmax and make money.  This would be in addition to using virtually no power from Enmax to begin with.  Not saying that that's the plan but the old dome is highly inefficient based on engineering best practices in the 80s.  New buildings are going to be LEED certified now. 

Upgraded HVAC, water efficient systems, high efficiency lights throughout (LED lights or equivalent), refrigeration, automation to cut down labor costs, WiFi ready, etc.

20,000 toilet flushes per sold out event, natural gas usage in Calgary's winter, I mean, that monthly Enmax bill must be dreadful.

They may lose some revenue from the Heroin Beer being replaced by Labatts or Coors or Bud or whoever gets the deal.

On 3/16/2017 at 2:02 PM, MAC331 said:

Nothing will happen until the NDP are gone and this Province returns to some level of prosperity.

Totally. Remember how the previous provincial government was so eager to help in much more prosperous days?

In case you forgot, I found the old thread. Here it is: 

One of the passionate posts from a previous regular/future GM says this: 

On a side note, something we can both be mad about. Most of us as Albertans know that we have by far the richest province and we have to pay billions of dollars in equalization payments to the other provinces each year. Our province decided not to help us fund new arenas. Fine but the Quebec is willing to give a large portion of the arena costs to the City of Quebec for a new arena. They are using the money we give them in equalization payments for a new arena. Now that p!sses me off.

And this stranger says: 

This is Alberta,Canada.The economic engine of the new world.Calgary and Edmonton both deserve world class facilities for their teams.Actually, both these buildings should set a new standard for world class.Whatever it takes get it done.This nice guy stuff is getting old.We deserve the best.!!

Additionally, I found this ten year chart of daily oil prices. It's not perfect, and I understand that, but it's pretty accurate to the ebbs and flows. Here you go: http://www.macrotrends.net/2516/wti-crude-oil-prices-10-year-daily-chart

The thread that I cited above was started on August 14th, 2012. The price of oil was $95/barrel. The thread was killed on April 9th, and the price of oil was $93/barrel. 

I wonder what the hell that has to do with the NDP? When they came into power in April of 2015, the price of oil was less than $50/barrel, bottomed out less than a year later in February of 2016, and has slowly recovered back to where it was when they took office. 

I realize that things are really tough in Alberta right now, and I realize that a lot of people are rightfully pissed off. Furthermore, I didn't vote in the last provincial election in Alberta, and I wouldn't have voted NDP if I had, but politics aside, these comments are becoming difficult to read. You might as well blame it on the rain.

Love.  

• Like 1

It appears Calgary Next is dead. Last tweet Sept of last year:

9d570399494b5fe7a3fe0954ad2c9abd.jpg

Last week Fan960 said something like weekly talks behind closed doors at city hall.... What the hell does that mean? Lets bring the talks out into public where the people involved have to say what they mean and can't hide anymore. If Calgary Next is not what the people want then find something they will want... quick. We need a field house.. Actually we need a few fieldhouses... We need a new rink....We need a new stadium most of all.. let's not forget about that.

Lets get the Provincial Government to commit too some of that Carbon tax money in new energy efficient buildings. They don't seem to have any problems spending our money elsewhere...(this years budget debt)

I am really disappointed in the mayor and his stance since day 1. Calgary Next is obviously not one of his concerns, yet he wants to put billions into his pet projects like moving the transit lines underground(billions). Or spending all the newly saved project money(hundreds of millions) on other projects...

The other day when Gary Bettman was in town next day our mayor said he had greater concerns like starving out of work people.... Huh????????  A depressed economy is a great time to start a capitol expenditure like Calgary Next.... Employs people, circulates money to supporting companies and feeds the newly employed....

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

It appears Calgary Nest is dead. Last tweet Sept of last year:

9d570399494b5fe7a3fe0954ad2c9abd.jpg

Last week Fan960 said something like weekly talks behind closed doors at city hall.... What the hell does that mean? Lets bring the talks out into public where the people involved have to say what they mean and can't hide anymore. If Calgary Next is not what the people want then find something they will want... quick. We need a field house.. Actually we need a few fieldhouses... We need a new rink....We need a new stadium most of all.. let's not forget about that.

Lets get the Provincial Government to commit too some of that Carbon tax money in new energy efficient buildings. They don't seem to have any problems spending our money elsewhere...(this years budget debt)

I am really disappointed in the mayor and his stance since day 1. Calgary Next is obviously not one of his concerns, yet he wants to put billions into his pet projects like moving the transit lines underground(billions). Or spending all the newly saved project money(hundreds of millions) on other projects...

The other day when Gary Bettman was in town next day our mayor said he had greater concerns like starving out of work people.... Huh????????  A depressed economy is a great time to start a capitol expenditure like Calgary Next.... Employs people, circulates money to supporting companies and feeds the newly employed....

The most recent stuff I heard was centered around Victoria Park.  The 2nd choice.  And it seems that a venue that could revitalize an area, put people to work, and draw investors is exactly the type of project that a city should be involved in.  EDM committed millions in known and hidden deals, but it's not going to sink the city.  

Calgary Next is dead yes, the flames have been told to look at plan B and they currently are drawing up plans and talking to the city about what that would look like. Plan B is building on the grounds where the saddle dome currently is but that's about the only option the flames have unless they wanted to build it well outside the downtown core, which is a horrible idea. 

And Calgary next was a good 2-3 years away from being shovel ready so it wasn't going to boost the economy anytime soon. Calgary Next is dead because ken king completely mismanaged the project. If you want to blame anyone, blame him. 

Edit: it's also been suggested that the reason it's moved behind closed doors is the Olympic bid. A successful Olympic bid may allow for the money from various levels of government to build it so they want to hold off on that process until they know the outcome of that. A bit far fetched imo but I have heard that

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Calgary Next is dead yes, the flames have been told to look at plan B and they currently are drawing up plans and talking to the city about what that would look like. Plan B is building on the grounds where the saddle dome currently is but that's about the only option the flames have unless they wanted to build it well outside the downtown core, which is a horrible idea. 

And Calgary next was a good 2-3 years away from being shovel ready so it wasn't going to boost the economy anytime soon. Calgary Next is dead because ken king completely mismanaged the project. If you want to blame anyone, blame him. 

Edit: it's also been suggested that the reason it's moved behind closed doors is the Olympic bid. A successful Olympic bid may allow for the money from various levels of government to build it so they want to hold off on that process until they know the outcome of that. A bit far fetched imo but I have heard that

What do you think of that design? 

Is the see through dome a good idea? 

Why orange? Should use red as a base colour. 

53 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

What do you think of that design? 

Is the see through dome a good idea? 

Why orange? Should use red as a base colour. 

Ken king said the renderings they put out there were very rough and the end product was to be different so I wouldn't read into they much. I didn't love the translucent roof no, but they were designing A multi use facility not just an arena so I'm not sure what the benefits would have been. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

Ken king said the renderings they put out there were very rough and the end product was to be different so I wouldn't read into they much. I didn't love the translucent roof no, but they were designing A multi use facility not just an arena so I'm not sure what the benefits would have been. 

I would prefer to see an Arena only complex near or on the Stampede grounds again on the East end. The West site would be good for a Football/Soccer complex.

17 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Maybe it's time for a new mayor, one that has vision, one who can lead, one who can solve problems.

As depressing as this news is, I agree that Ken King and the Flames brass could have done a much better job handling the entire proposal.