Connor Mcdavid Watch

jjgallow

It seems that every year there's @ least 1 player that comes out of nowhere.

An example is last year's #17 pick Travis Sanheim. Went from unranked to #167 among NA by midterm & #53 by draft time in NHL Central Scouting rankings. Others had him higher (Craig Button put him #8) but he was a virtual unknown only a year before. What happened is the summer before he had a growth spurt (height & weight) so started the 2013-14 season with a new body (his twin brother hasn't had that yet & is still a smurf).

He's a Manitoba boy so there was a fair bit about him in the local papers in the week before the draft. Some of you may reacall me talking about him when we were discussing who'd be a good pick with our 2nd or 3rd pick.

Rather than pin our hopes on tanking for a kid that's been touted as "The Next 1" for a few years & is 50/50 to bring junior #s to the NHL I prefer to compete & have the scouts look for the late bloomer that keeps improving but could be available where we draft. Shea Weber was that kind of late bloomer & was a steal in the 2nd round.

That was a good call FF.   And I don't think anyone wants to see the team tank at this point.   Maybe last year, or the year before, it was a discussion.  But we're on the upswing of the rebuild now, and I think everyone is in agreement that we need to build a winning culture.

That said, we're going to suck this year and there's nothing we can do about it.  We're just too weak and innexperienced in too many important areas.  We'll get killed down the stretch.  And that's okay.  It's also okay if we don't finish last.  We all want to see an honest effort.

I honestly like the new drafting rules.  Anyone in the bottom 10 (we'll be there) will have at least a fun chance of getting McDavid.  And, quite honestly, a handful of other projected superstars.  It will just be a great draft.  Whether we get McDavid or not.

With regards to late-bloomers:   I agree with you in prinicipal, but not in our circumstance.

In the case of our rebuild, we do not have enough time too develop a late blooming defenseman.  Even "ready to go" defensemen are late-bloomers compared to forwards.   

In our rebuild, the forward-line is on the upswing.  Offensively, we are on the upswing.  We have a long way to go, but we'll be peaking long before a late-blooming 2015 defenseman can help us in the playoffs.

We need to trade for an existing defensive prospect, imho.  Possibly two of them.   Either at the trade deadline, or at the draft, or both.

In Fact...if we Don't get McDavid, I think there is a legimate arguement to be made for trading away our 2015 pick for an existing elite defensive prospect.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And...to be completely honest, I think we've been over-achieving a bit. As you say, we are just a few key injuries away from relying mostly on AHL rookies. Is that supposed to improve our rank?

Last year we were over-achieving, everyone was expecting us to go down this year. Now we are over-achieving again. Especially the prospects coming in and putting lots of effort on the ice.

I believe the expectation in the locker room is to make the play-offs, not only to compete for a spot and everyone buys into it.

That is how you have success.

Last year we were over-achieving, everyone was expecting us to go down this year. Now we are over-achieving again. Especially the prospects coming in and putting lots of effort on the ice.

I believe the expectation in the locker room is to make the play-offs, not only to compete for a spot and everyone buys into it.

That is how you have success.

It might be, and if that happens, great.   But we're almost certainly going to get killed down the stretch.   We are just one injury away on defense from finding out first-hand how much depth we lack there.   Our forward lines are looking strong, and maybe we even have a bit of depth up front now.   But we lack players in their prime.   It is composed of players in their final years, and young inexperienced players.  Both will get worn down through the stretch.

Our goaltending isn't always going to be as good as it's been early on either...we know that too.

Anyway...I'm not trying to be a pessimist (even if it seems that way).   The truth is I'm really happy about our start.  People need to be realistic about it though.  

And back to Connor McDavid, the intention of this thread is not to undermine the Flames success.  It is simply a thread about Connor McDavid.  That's why it's not even in the Flames' section.  It's in the general NHL section, where it should be.   Please don't feel offended or assume that anyone on here wants the Flames to tank, because that's not the case at all.

It might be, and if that happens, great.   But we're almost certainly going to get killed down the stretch.   We are just one injury away on defense from finding out first-hand how much depth we lack there.   Our forward lines are looking strong, and maybe we even have a bit of depth up front now.   But we lack players in their prime.   It is composed of players in their final years, and young inexperienced players.  Both will get worn down through the stretch.

Our goaltending isn't always going to be as good as it's been early on either...we know that too.

Anyway...I'm not trying to be a pessimist (even if it seems that way).   The truth is I'm really happy about our start.  People need to be realistic about it though.  

And back to Connor McDavid, the intention of this thread is not to undermine the Flames success.  It is simply a thread about Connor McDavid.  That's why it's not even in the Flames' section.  It's in the general NHL section, where it should be.   Please don't feel offended or assume that anyone on here wants the Flames to tank, because that's not the case at all.

We are not old anymore JJ. Go look again. Prime age is 25-30. We have 8 forwards and 3 D in that age range.

7c8b99084ce0c49f0260f860ebab8e8e.png

our oldest player is 33..

To win, you don't need the best players, you need the best team.

Best example:

Germany won the Soccer WC, not with the best players, but with the best team. Lots of players were still light injured (like day to day) or needed time to get back to their potential, but still they won the WC as a team.

There have been no Star-Players like Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Robben in the team. A good coach can achieve anything, if he is able to form a team. So far that is what Hartly is doing pretty well.

By the way, if the Flames play that way until the end of the season and are not able to get into the playoff but fought until the last game, IMHO they have earned to win the lottery for the 1st overall pick, even if the chances are very slim.

The changes in the draft are better but more changes need to take place. Teams that continuallly finish in the bottom 6 of the league year after year should not be allowed to pick inside the top 6. if analitics and large in the leaue than how is it not possible to weight a scale on who SHOULD not be alloed to pick in the top 6.

From 2009 -2010 season to 2013- 2014 season, I took the bottom 6 teams over those years and gave points in reverse, 6 points for 30th and 1 point for 25th.

EDM  21 points

FLA 18

NYI 10

IMHO these teams should automatically move to the 12th, 13th, 14th picks. You have organizations that don't benefit from getting the best player. Teams don't tank they have organizational or management problems.EDM, FLA for example keep drafting BPA but costantly finish at the bottom, they should not be allowed to pick until they show improvements outside of the bottom six for at least 2 years.

+1

I don't support the Flames intentionally trying to be as bad as Buffalo. I think it's disgusting that obvious tanking like this is allowed. Time will tell if Buffalo can overcome the losing culture they have introduced, but they certainly have done a good job in stockpiling future assets. I am cheering against them out of principle.

But it is what it is. We have a better chance (by far) of winning the lottery this draft (even from the 17 spot) then we do of finding a player like McDavid outside of the top 5. Wishing it were different and being morally opposed to tanking doesn't change that.

Personally I am just not overthinking it. The Flames are fun to watch and we have prospects worth getting excited over. Wishing we were worse isn't any fun. And if it isn't fun then what's the point?

To win, you don't need the best players, you need the best team.

Best example:

Germany won the Soccer WC, not with the best players, but with the best team. Lots of players were still light injured (like day to day) or needed time to get back to their potential, but still they won the WC as a team.

There have been no Star-Players like Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Robben in the team. A good coach can achieve anything, if he is able to form a team. So far that is what Hartly is doing pretty well.

By the way, if the Flames play that way until the end of the season and are not able to get into the playoff but fought until the last game, IMHO they have earned to win the lottery for the 1st overall pick, even if the chances are very slim.

There's hockey-off topic,

And then there's soccer off-topic.

what is soccer?

Where are we? 

Does McDavid play soccer? 

What day is it?

The changes in the draft are better but more changes need to take place. Teams that continuallly finish in the bottom 6 of the league year after year should not be allowed to pick inside the top 6. if analitics and large in the leaue than how is it not possible to weight a scale on who SHOULD not be alloed to pick in the top 6.

From 2009 -2010 season to 2013- 2014 season, I took the bottom 6 teams over those years and gave points in reverse, 6 points for 30th and 1 point for 25th.

EDM  21 points

FLA 18

NYI 10

IMHO these teams should automatically move to the 12th, 13th, 14th picks. You have organizations that don't benefit from getting the best player. Teams don't tank they have organizational or management problems.EDM, FLA for example keep drafting BPA but costantly finish at the bottom, they should not be allowed to pick until they show improvements outside of the bottom six for at least 2 years.

Buffalo is pretty good at decimating their team for picks and prospects. They trade a top player for a lesser player, and then turn around and flip that player for picks. They get rid of their #1 goalie. They seem to get away with this every year.

I think the NHL has a responsibility to look at the year-end sellers and enforce trades a bit better. Or penalize a team for intentionally icing an inferior team. It gives the fans nothing for their dollar, puts a win in another team's win column (that maybe changes a team's chances at the playoffs), and makes the NHL draft look like a joke.

Buffalo is pretty good at decimating their team for picks and prospects. They trade a top player for a lesser player, and then turn around and flip that player for picks. They get rid of their #1 goalie. They seem to get away with this every year.

I think the NHL has a responsibility to look at the year-end sellers and enforce trades a bit better. Or penalize a team for intentionally icing an inferior team. It gives the fans nothing for their dollar, puts a win in another team's win column (that maybe changes a team's chances at the playoffs), and makes the NHL draft look like a joke.

We did the same when we deicded to rebuild. Buffalo has an inferior team this season yes, are they in the front runner for McDavid yes. When you look at Buffalo's  prospects they are very deep ranked # 1 NYI is ranked #7th  EDM and FLA are not even in the top 15.

My point is Buffalo is beign judged by the timimg of their rebuild. McDavid will be a super star in the league, do I have an issue with Buffalo getting him, No, I do however have a HUGE issue with clubs like EDM, FLA and NYI being given a shot despite their past records.

We did the same when we deicded to rebuild. Buffalo has an inferior team this season yes, are they in the front runner for McDavid yes. When you look at Buffalo's  prospects they are very deep ranked # 1 NYI is ranked #7th  EDM and FLA are not even in the top 15.

My point is Buffalo is beign judged by the timimg of their rebuild. McDavid will be a super star in the league, do I have an issue with Buffalo getting him, No, I do however have a HUGE issue with clubs like EDM, FLA and NYI being given a shot despite their past records.

All of Edmonton's prospects skipped the developement steps & were NHL for lack of better. Hence, few prospects of note.

Buffalo holding their's back keeps them bad until they get that savior named McDavid.

They roam the same seabed full of sewage as others but were smart enough to develope their other picks in winner enviroments while waiting rarther then throw the fans a new shiny 1 every year.

Bodog odds recently decreased from 100-1 to 50-1 to win Stanley Cup.

sportsclubstats has us at 78.5% to make playoffs & 5.5% to win Stanley Cup.

The odds are long & it's very early in the season but I kind of like the fact they defy the premature prognostications of the media which had the Flames in front of the line for the McDavid-Eichel-Hanifan sweepstakes. :)

I think past 30 games will be interesting for us. We're pretty young, especially considering the IR. I expect we'll hit some pretty rough patches, but I didn't suspect us to be in sweepstakes regardless.

I'm not a Feaster fan, but I can't deny that I don't know anyone else that was looking to bring Hartley back. Certainly not Burke or Sutter.

Last year we gained reputation for being a team that doesn't quit. My only concern was that fading. So far...NOT!

I'm really beside myself with what Hartley's been able to do with our roster. And can't say enough about Hiller providing a ton of stability to offset our D being weak, to our D being very mobile.

Both of our goalies are proving they can keep us in most games. Because Hiller has done this over a season, quite often in the past, I don't see that changing. He's taken a world of pressure off of Ramo and has been our MVP thus far. Not just by playing solid net, but by answering some huge team question marks that would have us being a lot worse.

To look at any team right now, Calgary has to be the biggest surprise in the league. IMO, Hiller is the frontrunning league mvp right now for how his addition has been mammoth for Calgary.

THN has an article comparing this year's Flames to last year's Avs.

Friedman in 30 Thoughts sees the Flames (& Jets) as playoffs bound.

It's bandwagonning methinks. Sustaining the pace is a big question so I'll stay in baited breath.

One thing I know about 1 goal games, from way back to Edmonton sending CuJo to the leafs...

1 goal games are the difference in goaltending. Look at our 1 goal games last year. Solid goaltending turns more of those games from losses to wins. Our G last year was inconsequential chaos for the most part.

What an extraordinary signing Hiller is turning into. I always liked Hiller as a goalie, but I never expected the difference he's currently making...in my wildest dreams.

• 1 month later...

Funny how a bit of time changes everything:

McDavid's playing in the WJC tommorrow:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/mcdavid-in-team-canada-lineup-sunday-vs-sweden/

And the Flames, meanwhile, are flirting with 500 and basically, like it or not, in the McDavid/Eichel hunt:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20142015&sort=points&type=LEA

Archived