DirtyDeeds

Monahan staying the right choice?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Monahan staying the right choice?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

He stays and plays the year out on the main squad. Normally I would say that he'd go back after the 9 games and he still very well could, but he's just such a smart player. IMO he was NHL-ready last year, it was just a question of whether or not he'd actually be able to make a major contribution in an NHL capacity; now, I have no doubt he can play in a top-9 role, it's just whether or not we want him dominating the OHL or playing in a pro system with all the benefits of being around the development staff. Both ways have their pros and cons.

A 40-point season would not be out of range for him right now, and best case scenario is he plays his way into the Calder discussions, but anything above 30 points would be a success.

I'd like to predict that he'll stay with the Flames but I'd like to see how he plays in the regular season against real NHLers during the regular season. So, I think he should start the season with the Flames and depending on how he does the first 9 games, then the decision is made. But right now he's definetly pushing for a regular spot.

He's an NHL player. Whether the OHL is better for his development, I don't know. But he is ready to play NHL minutes today.

I agree with this. He is ready to play in the NHL but I'm still not convinced that is what is best for him. I think he can handle a top 9 role defensively but i worry about his offensive game at the NHL level. Right now I see a player who is playing like he is afraid of making a mistake and it serving him weld defensively but limiting his offence.

I agree with this. He is ready to play in the NHL but I'm still not convinced that is what is best for him. I think he can handle a top 9 role defensively but i worry about his offensive game at the NHL level. Right now I see a player who is playing like he is afraid of making a mistake and it serving him weld defensively but limiting his offence.

If he's playing like this while scared, I can't wait to see how he plays when he's got some confidence.

I agree with Cross he is the start of the foundation for the rebuild of the franchise, I would not want to rush him. I say the 9 games he stays and unless he really WOWs everybody in those 9 games then send him back to JR's to continue his development. He has been solid this preseason but the WOW factor has not been there and that could be him over thinking at times. If they rush him either he steps up and plays great or he loses confidence if he has bad games or get's hurt. See Carolina's Jeff Skinner #7 draft pick who came in like gangbusters but his point total's have been going down the past 2 years after winning the Calder (Yes I did the math for him playing a 82 game season last year and the year before) either injury's got to him or confidence issues either way hasn't looked the same since his rookie year and if that happens to Monahan then we will start looking at a Edmonton style rebuild over multiple years of top 10 draft picks and many years of losing. 

I agree with Cross he is the start of the foundation for the rebuild of the franchise, I would not want to rush him. I say the 9 games he stays and unless he really WOWs everybody in those 9 games then send him back to JR's to continue his development. He has been solid this preseason but the WOW factor has not been there and that could be him over thinking at times. If they rush him either he steps up and plays great or he loses confidence if he has bad games or get's hurt. See Carolina's Jeff Skinner #7 draft pick who came in like gangbusters but his point total's have been going down the past 2 years after winning the Calder (Yes I did the math for him playing a 82 game season last year and the year before) either injury's got to him or confidence issues either way hasn't looked the same since his rookie year and if that happens to Monahan then we will start looking at a Edmonton style rebuild over multiple years of top 10 draft picks and many years of losing. 

To be fair to Monahan I don't think he has a lot of wow factor to his game.

He should stay. He deserves to stay. He is NHL ready now. He is great defensively at such a young age, it's scary to think how good defensively he will become as he continues to mature. He is physically and mentally mature enough to play in this league right now. Sending him to a weak OHL team will not help his development.

I'm not the least bit concerned about his offensive production. I believe he will put up solid numbers. With that being said, I don't picture him being a huge point producer at the NHL level anyway. I see him as a Patrice Bergeron (not a huge offensive producer, but can rack up points. More noticeable in the face-off dot and for defensive ability). He will be a crucial part of this rebuilding team moving forward. 

I think we should be happy with the fact that he's had a great training camp, and look forward to a great junior season from him.

There is very little he can actually offer the Flames this season, despite how well he's played for his age.

If we want a top-6 player out of him, the we should put him in a league where he'll be getting first-line minutes.

7a6fcc0a328f9c8d442b17a4004c57d2.png

6698eef162e83568dbf9d8f31b48ce2b.png

And this is why I voted yes, NHL ready?  Seems to be, if so he'll stay.  The key is has he played better than most of the other Ctrs on the team, this has been the guiding principal both Feaster and Hartley have set.  Accordingly, I'd say the kid has been one of the top 3 Ctrs every game so by all accounts that places him on the Flame roster this season.

I dunno watching him play he plays timid for sure, that is a good word but he also plays small if that makes sense.  It looks like he's not just worried about making a mistake but more he's worried he's going to get hurt.  I don't doubt it's a hell of a jump when he starts playing at NHL speed and size and it's in his head at least subconsciously from what I am seeing on the ice.

The kids 6'2" and just shy of 190 pounds, and he plays like a lanky tall guy.  He's probably used to physically dominating the guys he plays against and now he's out on the ice where he's far closer to average.  I think he'd be served best with a solid stint in the minors for the year working on adding about 20 pounds of solid muscle.

Now so far the Flames history says that he'd get 6 or 7 early games, drop down and then get called up near the end or in case of an injury.  Burke's in the mix now though so history might not be the best judge.

I won't be surprised to see him stay but honestly that one more year treating it like an extended off season + training camp really could make a BIG difference on how his first 2 or 3 years in the NHL play out.

I dunno watching him play he plays timid for sure, that is a good word but he also plays small if that makes sense.  It looks like he's not just worried about making a mistake but more he's worried he's going to get hurt.  I don't doubt it's a hell of a jump when he starts playing at NHL speed and size and it's in his head at least subconsciously from what I am seeing on the ice.

The kids 6'2" and just shy of 190 pounds, and he plays like a lanky tall guy.  He's probably used to physically dominating the guys he plays against and now he's out on the ice where he's far closer to average.  I think he'd be served best with a solid stint in the minors for the year working on adding about 20 pounds of solid muscle.

Now so far the Flames history says that he'd get 6 or 7 early games, drop down and then get called up near the end or in case of an injury.  Burke's in the mix now though so history might not be the best judge.

I won't be surprised to see him stay but honestly that one more year treating it like an extended off season + training camp really could make a BIG difference on how his first 2 or 3 years in the NHL play out.

I actually heard that he was closer to 200 lbs, if not over. If you watched the game last night then you'd see that while he may not be noticeable at first, he is definitely making an impact and deserves to be on the team. He is head and shoulders ahead of alot of the other players who will be on the team.

Also don't forget he is 18 so he could go to the Heat rather than back to the OHL.

No he can't go back to the heat. Also, he turns 19 a week into the regular season.

He stays and plays in the WJ's unless by some weird chance the Flames are in the midst of the playoffs race.  

This.

There's nothing for him in Ottawa so he's best served working with the Flames coachs & trainers while still using the WJC experience to play against his own age group.

In this case what I think happens matches what I'd like to see.

It seems that Monahan has past another test.

– The Calgary Flames announced today that they have reduced their training camp roster by four players. Forwards Michael Ferland, Corban Knight and Max Reinhart have been assigned to the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League while defenceman Keegan Kanzig has been returned to the Victoria Royals of the Western Hockey League.

Not sure I agree with the demotions but at least Abbey should be competitive.

I actually heard that he was closer to 200 lbs, if not over. If you watched the game last night then you'd see that while he may not be noticeable at first, he is definitely making an impact and deserves to be on the team. He is head and shoulders ahead of alot of the other players who will be on the team.

No he can't go back to the heat. Also, he turns 19 a week into the regular season.

Well I watched the games and he was playing well but he did play "small" then again against that Yotes game the whole fricking team looked kinda small .... *shrug*

As for not going to the Heat, why can't he go there (he's never played for them so it wouldn't be going "back").  My understanding of the AHL rule is that a player has to be 18 by September 15 of any given season to be eligible to play.

From what I can tell he didn't sign a one way deal of any kind and should be age Eligible unless the OHL and AHL have some sort of side agreement on player movement and ages.

Archived