The Official Monahan Thread

DirtyDeeds

Monahan staying the right choice?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Monahan staying the right choice?

Monahan was injured in practice today. Took a shot off his ankle, needed assistance to leave the ice. Per Roger Millions: https://twitter.com/RogMillions

Typical Calgary prospect.

Colbourne was already rumoured to be drawing in tonight due to some bangs and bruises, with Millions suggesting Stajan may also sit. 

Down Stajan and Monahan after game 1? And who was complaining about us having too many centres?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stajan comes as no surprise after the way he played last night.  He's as soft as they come.  Can't wait until they part ways with him at the end of the year.  Unless, of course, they extend him....which I don't see Burke having any part in.

Monahan played a decent game last night.  He's still a little timid out there, and needs some confidence. Only with time. Hopefully his ankle can be taped and he's good to go for the game.  As far as Stajan being out of the lineup, this only pushes Colborne and Monahan up the totem pole.  I wouldn't mind seeing more minutes for Mono.

Stajan comes as no surprise after the way he played last night.  He's as soft as they come.  Can't wait until they part ways with him at the end of the year.  Unless, of course, they extend him....which I don't see Burke having any part in.

Monahan played a decent game last night.  He's still a little timid out there, and needs some confidence. Only with time. Hopefully his ankle can be taped and he's good to go for the game.  As far as Stajan being out of the lineup, this only pushes Colborne and Monahan up the totem pole.  I wouldn't mind seeing more minutes for Mono.

I thought Monahan was over his head for most of the night.  He made a few smart plays.  One that resulted in a goal.  But overall I thought he was underwater.  

That isn't a big deal in his NHL debut.  But if he doesn't see real progress over the next few games then the Flames should be sending him back to junior.  

I thought Monahan was over his head for most of the night.  He made a few smart plays.  One that resulted in a goal.  But overall I thought he was underwater.  

That isn't a big deal in his NHL debut.  But if he doesn't see real progress over the next few games then the Flames should be sending him back to junior.  

Agree.  His speed isn't up to par either.  A few of the Washington 3rd liners were leaving him in the dust on a regular basis.

However, this was only his first gig.  We'll have to see what happens in his next 8 cups of coffee.

Agree.  His speed isn't up to par either.  A few of the Washington 3rd liners were leaving him in the dust on a regular basis.

However, this was only his first gig.  We'll have to see what happens in his next 8 cups of coffee.

I agree with this.  I do question whether he should be on a line with Baertschi and Jones.  Jones is trying to rebound and Baertschi has many of the same issues that Monahan has.  

I agree with this.  I do question whether he should be on a line with Baertschi and Jones.  Jones is trying to rebound and Baertschi has many of the same issues that Monahan has.  

The preaseason games where Monahan was at his best, was between 2 vets.  I don't have as much a problem with Jones, as Mono playing with Baertschi.  Jones has the speed and the size to give Monahan the support he needs.

Baertschi needs to pick up his game, and Monahan IMO isn't the answer.  He's got some chemistry with Backlund.  They've always been a sort of 1/2 punch on a line together. 

Put Monahan on the 2nd line and let the vets take some of the pressure off him to ease him into the game a little more.  Not so much coddling the kid, but more so acclimation to the level of the NHL.

The preaseason games where Monahan was at his best, was between 2 vets.  I don't have as much a problem with Jones, as Mono playing with Baertschi.  Jones has the speed and the size to give Monahan the support he needs.

Baertschi needs to pick up his game, and Monahan IMO isn't the answer.  He's got some chemistry with Backlund.  They've always been a sort of 1/2 punch on a line together. 

Put Monahan on the 2nd line and let the vets take some of the pressure off him to ease him into the game a little more.  Not so much coddling the kid, but more so acclimation to the level of the NHL.

I agree with this.  If you want to see what the kid is made of you don't stick him with young guys who are trying to find their games as well.  Play him with established players and watch him go.  If the plan is to only give him the 9 games then give him every opportunity to succeed.  What's the harm?  If he struggles then you shelter his minutes and send him back to Junior.  If he excels in a top 6 role then you reward him with a permanent spot.  Seems like a no brainer to me.

Well it looks like Baertschi and Monahan did okay last night.  It just seems weird to me that Hartley avoided that pair like the plague in preseason and then threw them together for opening night.  Put good on them for figuring it out.  

I thought Stempniak was a great guy to put with the two of them.  He was really good with the rookies last season.  If they are going to keep Baertschi and Monahan together I like Stempniak on the wing. 

I think someone's just grumpy he dropped Monahan before last nights game :P

I am absolutely amazed at how well Monahan is playing.    

Not for a second does that change my view that he needs to go back to junior, though.   In fact, I want him to go back to junior more than ever now.   I very strongly believed that he was projected to be a 2nd liner.   Now I'm wondering if he could be a 1st line center.

But the best way to find out is to develop him in that role.  

I thought Stempniak was a great guy to put with the two of them.  He was really good with the rookies last season.  If they are going to keep Baertschi and Monahan together I like Stempniak on the wing. 

Agree here.

The idea about putting Monahan with 2 veterans "I think" will take away from his game. I like the fact that playing with Baert and Stemp the three can start forming a chemistry for the future. This very well could be our #1 line to build off of. Keep it up Hartley.

Give him his nine games first. 

That's his audition period, and so far - while he might be a little timid - he's playing well enough to earn him that third C roster spot, but if that's all he's earned during those nine games he needs to go back to Juniors to play more than eleven minutes a game.

I think someone's just grumpy he dropped Monahan before last nights game :P

Naw, I'm just wondering if John Tavares disappeared off the face of the planet.  :P

Monahan was still on my bench during the game.  I dropped him after.  Bolland was too good to pass up.

My preference for sending him down was because I wondered how he would keep up his offensive confidence if playing more of a third line role and focusing more on the defensive side, as most young players do. After last night and the goal he scored I can see he is certainly not lacking in confidence as that goal took a lot of patience and confident to pull off. Based on his play alone I think he stays, but I'd still like to see him get released for the world juniors.

My preference for sending him down was because I wondered how he would keep up his offensive confidence if playing more of a third line role and focusing more on the defensive side, as most young players do. After last night and the goal he scored I can see he is certainly not lacking in confidence as that goal took a lot of patience and confident to pull off. Based on his play alone I think he stays, but I'd still like to see him get released for the world juniors.

Yes, I tend to agree.  He looks ready for the NHL.  He is making some rookie mistakes, but he will learn quickly.  I would like to see him move up to 2nd line with Backs moving up to #1C.  Move Colborne up to #3C and see how he does with increased minutes.   

To be honest I don't really see how they can send him back to Junior.  What kind of message would that send to him?  Hey kid you wow'd our socks off, put up points and did everything we asked of you buuuuuuuuuut.........

That would be so detrimental to his development and would send the wrong message throughout the franchise to our other up and coming prospects.

To be honest I don't really see how they can send him back to Junior.  What kind of message would that send to him?  Hey kid you wow'd our socks off, put up points and did everything we asked of you buuuuuuuuuut.........

That would be so detrimental to his development and would send the wrong message throughout the franchise to our other up and coming prospects.

Exactly.... The question is IF he is actually send back what can he really learn from junior devision that he wont from NHL? The mistakes he is making right now can only be improved by playing in NHL division he wont learn that from Junior. The only thing he is missing is the NHL experience.

I am starting to come around to keeping him.  It seems like he has the build to survive in the NHL.  He is still under water at times, but he is getting ice time on a line with skill players.  So far he is producing.  That said I reserve judgement for the rest of his 9-game audition.  It isn't uncommon for rookies to fall off after the first few games.  I think if there are any doubts you send him down.  You won't hamper his development by sending him down.  You might if he stays up.   

I just don't think there is anything else for him to develop in Junior that can't be developed with the Flames. When it comes to playing he shows a very high hockey IQ and hasn't looked out of place. As I said earlier I think it would send the wrong message to send him back, especially to as bad of a team as the 67's. I'm calling it right now that he stays.

I just don't think there is anything else for him to develop in Junior that can't be developed with the Flames. When it comes to playing he shows a very high hockey IQ and hasn't looked out of place. As I said earlier I think it would send the wrong message to send him back, especially to as bad of a team as the 67's. I'm calling it right now that he stays.

Outside of the occasional generational player (i.e. Crosby) there is always room for a 18 year old to develop in junior.  I get that the 67s aren't a great team.  But he has developed there to this point.  Plus, chances are he gets traded.  There will be no point for the 67s to hold onto a guy they know is only going to be with them for the season.  Plus the Flames will press for a trade.  

I agree that if he continues to play the way he is playing the Flames will have to give him a spot.  He will have earned it.  But if he falters (and he very well could) than junior is the place for him IMO.  

Archived