DirtyDeeds

Monahan staying the right choice?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Monahan staying the right choice?

Squeaky wheel gets the grease JJ.

5783a394b6bb558b8dc6d80bf2040c8c.png

8f898370d5bbb9a3d7aaa8102669078e.png

HF has no rating yet.

All things Sean Monahan here. Just don't put him so high on your expectation pedastal that he likely won't be able to fulfill those expectations.

Think he will make the team this year? That would be a tall order for a 6th overall pick.

Is he destined for #1C or do you think he tops out as the #2C? Of all the projections I have seen he tops out as a solid #1 C. Only a few project him as a tops #2C.

I also mentioned in the Captain thread I expect him to be our captain in a couple/few years.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm expecting something between an Eric Staal and a Jordan Staal.  I want to see superior two-way game and be dependability in all game situations. I'd like to see him consistently turn innocent cycles into scoring chances.  I'd like to see him dominate physically on both ends of the ice.

I believe he'll get a 9-game tour of the NHL and then get sent back to the OHL.  I REALLY want to see him traded to a team that has more offensive upside and/or would like to see the Ottawa 67's trade for some scoring help to play with Monahan.  Another season without good linemates may slow his offensive development.  He was drafted with huge untapped potential due to being a one man show with the 67's.  Just imagine what he can do with a Jon Drouin-type on his wing.

I think expectations are enormous.  Rightfully so. 

Monahan is probably closer to NHL ready than I thought when the flames took him. His hockey IQ is fantastic and be already understands positioning at a pretty high level but what I really like about him is he is very creative about using his body to protect the puck and his ice but he can create off of that even with passes to himself. He is going to be tough to contain down low and I think for sure he gets a 9 game addition but don't be surprised if he makes the team. I agree with people that I'm a bit hesitant to send him down to the 67s given the state they are. I'd love to see him at the world juniors but I don't want to see him play on a struggling team again.

I too seen him in between the Staals. I think his floor is jordan Staal and if he can get a bit better acceleration he can get closer to Eric Staal.

HockeyFuture is a lazy website, and Calgary will be graded almost last compared to the other teams. 

Regardless, I think Hockey's Future is going to give him an 8.0 B, so same grading as Baertschi. 

In my opinion, he's destined to be a two way first line center. I think he's going to win some individual player trophies in his career. 

I have read comparisons that have him compared to the Staals, Mike Richards, Patrice Bergeron and Zach Parise. If he can turn out like any of those guys I will be one happy camper. Those are the type of elite players you win with.

I think he will get his 9 game look see with the big club and will be judged from there. I think Ottawa has some good young offensive talent coming this year that would help him if he did get sent back. Travis Konecny was the 1st overall pick in the OHL draft this year, he should help. They passed over Sean Day who was given exceptional status to draft Konecny so I am guessing he must pretty good.

The only burn here, of course, is that he's not actually projected to be a first-line center.   At least, not by consensus.

Of course, that doesn't mean he won't surprise.  He sure looked good in camp.

I'm keeping my expectations tempered.  I'm hoping for an extremely, extremely strong, two-way 2nd-line center.  One of the top 2nd-line centers in the league.   If he becomes a first-line center, even better.

From my admittedly limited knowledge of the prospects (like most I read reports & blogs but don't fly around to scout them) I would have been happy with either Nurse or Monahan so was fine with this pick. (It might have been the better choice as D take longer to develope & top centers are hard to come by unless you deal with Homer :mellow: )

It's hard to project kids this young so I'll just say what my hopes are given the write-ups. I'm hoping for a 2 way center who doesn't look out of place on either of the 1st or 2nd lines depending on who you are facing. If you caught on that I want a Mike Richards type give yourself a gold star.

The guy is 18 so I'd like 2 years in the OHL ( on a better team), time on TC in the WJC & possible roster spot in Abby if the Heat have a longer run then his junior team. In 2 years I figure he'll be too good to send down.

If Ottawa looks to be as weak as they were we could give him protected minutes in the NHL & still lend him to TC for the tournament as that's where leaders emerge.

I want him developed right as I have seen so many good players that could have been great (IMO) ruined by impatient teams.

From my admittedly limited knowledge of the prospects (like most I read reports & blogs but don't fly around to scout them) I would have been happy with either Nurse or Monahan so was fine with this pick. (It might have been the better choice as D take longer to develope & top centers are hard to come by unless you deal with Homer :mellow: )

It's hard to project kids this young so I'll just say what my hopes are given the write-ups. I'm hoping for a 2 way center who doesn't look out of place on either of the 1st or 2nd lines depending on who you are facing. If you caught on that I want a Mike Richards type give yourself a gold star.

The guy is 18 so I'd like 2 years in the OHL ( on a better team), time on TC in the WJC & possible roster spot in Abby if the Heat have a longer run then his junior team. In 2 years I figure he'll be too good to send down.

If Ottawa looks to be as weak as they were we could give him protected minutes in the NHL & still lend him to TC for the tournament as that's where leaders emerge.

I want him developed right as I have seen so many good players that could have been great (IMO) ruined by impatient teams.

I agree with Crusty.

I've already seen enough from dev camp that he's best in the OHL right now.     For those who had him on this season's Flames roster, I would suggest not.    He is clearly a special player.  For his Age.   I'd also like to see him have a breakout year in the OHL, which he hasn't had yet.   And experience as a leader, in the playoffs (WJC, OHL, etc).

Even then, there's no rush.   If he forces his way onto the Flames roster, so be it.  But the next planned stop should be the AHL, where he establishes himself as a leader at the professional level, and, finally, the Flames.

I do believe that we could see him in a Flames uniform this year, but I hope not.

At the end of the day, I could see him making the club out of the gate.  Since he's to go back to the O on a poor team, if they can shelter him on the big club then his development should be fine.  Just as long as he is actually NHL ready, 3rd line sheltered mins where he can make mistakes and learn at an NHL level can work wonders depending on the personality of the player.  Monahan is the typ who should do just fine in that situation.

My major issue is if they can actually shelter him, not much to keep him on the 3rd line, Backs? possibly can handle the 1st line role this season, but that is a huge roll of the dice.  Who's next Knight?  Again, same issue, he needs sheltered mins too so that really only leaves us with Stajan, and he is in NO way a top line guy he struggles to keep 2nd line.  Though, I guess they can roll Stajan then Backs followed by Monahan and Knight.  

In an ideal world Monahan is our #1 Ctr followed by Backlund then Knight and Bouma or Reinhart.  Still, all of them need at least a year to develop with no more than 3rd line duty for Monahan and Knight, Backs (provide he maintains or keeps developing) is a decent 2nd line pivot.  My gut tells me Monahan will start and end as our #1 Ctr though, really there is no competition in the likes of stajan, Backlund or Knight.

that really only leaves us with Stajan, and he is in NO way a top line guy he struggles to keep 2nd line.  Though, I guess they can roll Stajan then Backs followed by Monahan and Knight.  

In an ideal world Monahan is our #1 Ctr followed by Backlund then Knight and Bouma or Reinhart.  Still, all of them need at least a year to develop with no more than 3rd line duty for Monahan and Knight, Backs (provide he maintains or keeps developing) is a decent 2nd line pivot.  My gut tells me Monahan will start and end as our #1 Ctr though, really there is no competition in the likes of stajan, Backlund or Knight.

It depends what we're trying to accomplish this season.  Stajan can most definitely log 20-minuttes a game.  He's very solid defensively and rarely lets the other team score on him. His downside is his lack of offense but I have no problems with Stajan on the top line.... but you just got to define what kind of top line we want.

I doubt we can build an offensive top line in the first place so if Stajan logs big minutes with Cammalleri and Stempniak, then so be it.  Cammy is the offensive guy.  Stajan and Stempniak are the dependable two-way hard working guys.  It could work for 20-minutes a game. It won't dominate offensively though.

I don't want to see them rush Monahan.  Really want him to get a 9-game stint and then head back to juniors to dominate.  There, he will get first unit PP, PK, 5-on-5, and everything.  Hopefully the 67's give him one or two linemates to work with and convert on scoring chances.

Since he's to go back to the O on a poor team, 

Iggy played on a poor team and lead them deep into the playoffs before jumping to the NHL.

I think Monahan could do the same with another year of growth.  More importantly, I'm not so sure that the 67's will be a poor team.

Dante Salituro is a true talent (2014 draft, I believe?) and will be challenging Monahan for first-line center.  He's not actually going to succeed, but they will have two extremely well-centered lines.

They have a number of wingers coming back a year older as well.  

Assuming Monahan returns, I think they'll be one of the better teams.  Maybe not a powerhouse, but very respectable.

Iggy played on a poor team and lead them deep into the playoffs before jumping to the NHL.

That year the Kamloops Blazers finished 4th in the WHL hardly a poor team. They had at least 7 players go on and play in the NHL, not to mention they had TSN reporter Ryan Rishaug. Iginla didn't even lead the team in points that year.

That year the Kamloops Blazers finished 4th in the WHL hardly a poor team. They had at least 7 players go on and play in the NHL, not to mention they had TSN reporter Ryan Rishaug. Iginla didn't even lead the team in points that year.

If only Hnat Dominchelli panned out :'( 

Iggy's first season with the Kamloops Blazers was 93/94, Iggy had 6 goals and 23 assists in 48 games, and the Blazers won the Presidents Cup (now the Ed Chynoweth Cup) and the Memorial Cup...  

During Iggy's second season with the Blazers he had 33 goals and 38 assists in 72 games, and the Blazers won both the Presidents Cup and the Memorial Cup again...

In his third and final season with the team he had 63 goals and 73 assists in 63 games, and the Blazers were eliminated in the West Division final...

Iginla didn't even lead the team in points that year.

That is true...   In 95/96, future Flame Hnat Domenichelli beat Iggy's point total of 136 with 59 goals and 89 assists for a total of 148 points...

Also Darcy Tucker of the Blazers had more points (140) than Iginla in 93/94, and both Darcy Tucker (137 points) and Hnat Domenichelli (114 points) of the Blazers had more points than Iggy in 94/95...   So Iggy did not lead the team in points in any of the three seasons he had with the Blazers...

As a sidebar, another interesting fact is that in 94/95 Daymond Langkow lead the league in points with 140 while playing for the Tri-City Americans...

Honestly I think there is not much to be learned for Sean on the Ottawa 67's. He has already had 3 seasons with them. Sending him back just because we have a log jam here, isn't the thinking I want to see from the Flames.

He was told he would have the opportunity to make the Flames. We have another rookie camp and that western prospects tournament along with preseason and 9 games to find out if he is ready to make this jump.

Honestly I think there is not much to be learned for Sean on the Ottawa 67's. He has already had 3 seasons with them. Sending him back just because we have a log jam here, isn't the thinking I want to see from the Flames.

He was told he would have the opportunity to make the Flames. We have another rookie camp and that western prospects tournament along with preseason and 9 games to find out if he is ready to make this jump.

I completely agree. If he is ready then he deserves a spot, if he isn't ready then send him back. Point being there is still plenty of time to decide.

It depends what we're trying to accomplish this season.  Stajan can most definitely log 20-minuttes a game.  He's very solid defensively and rarely lets the other team score on him. His downside is his lack of offense but I have no problems with Stajan on the top line.... but you just got to define what kind of top line we want.

I doubt we can build an offensive top line in the first place so if Stajan logs big minutes with Cammalleri and Stempniak, then so be it.  Cammy is the offensive guy.  Stajan and Stempniak are the dependable two-way hard working guys.  It could work for 20-minutes a game. It won't dominate offensively though.

I don't want to see them rush Monahan.  Really want him to get a 9-game stint and then head back to juniors to dominate.  There, he will get first unit PP, PK, 5-on-5, and everything.  Hopefully the 67's give him one or two linemates to work with and convert on scoring chances.

While in other years i'd tend to agree 100% with everything you said here, the bolded area is the issue, I very much doubt he will get that with the 67s.  Moreover, if he has it he has it, why send him down if he can play at the NHL level.  Majority of scouts say he's one of the most NHL ready at this traft gone by so I doubt we are rushing him.  Further, sending him back to Jr could, in actual fact slow his development just as much or more than rushing him, particularly given he's one of the most NHL ready from his draft class. 

I agree, holding a guy back can hinder development just as much as rushing them. Further, many scouts have said he's one of the most NHL ready of his draft class too, so in the end if he's ready play him.

While in other years i'd tend to agree 100% with everything you said here, the bolded area is the issue, I very much doubt he will get that with the 67s.  Moreover, if he has it he has it, why send him down if he can play at the NHL level.  Majority of scouts say he's one of the most NHL ready at this traft gone by so I doubt we are rushing him.  Further, sending him back to Jr could, in actual fact slow his development just as much or more than rushing him, particularly given he's one of the most NHL ready from his draft class. 

I agree, holding a guy back can hinder development just as much as rushing them. Further, many scouts have said he's one of the most NHL ready of his draft class too, so in the end if he's ready play him.

I completely agree. If he is ready then he deserves a spot, if he isn't ready then send him back. Point being there is still plenty of time to decide.

There's a difference between playing 4th line NHL minutes and 1st line CHL.  One is going to help him become a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL and one is going to help him become a 1st line player in the NHL. 

Give the kid 9 games and see if he can handle top 6 minutes.  If not, then send him back to the CHL for further top 6 development.  Give him top 6 minutes, situations and let him succeed as a top 6 guy.

There's a difference between playing 4th line NHL minutes and 1st line CHL.  One is going to help him become a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL and one is going to help him become a 1st line player in the NHL. 

Give the kid 9 games and see if he can handle top 6 minutes.  If not, then send him back to the CHL for further top 6 development.  Give him top 6 minutes, situations and let him succeed as a top 6 guy.

Sure, but remember quality vs quantity counts too, which, is the point many of us are driving at.  Players need to be challenged, there is absolutely no point in him playing 20+ mins in the OHL and not being challenges, I'd argue 5-10 in the NHL of challenging mins is worth way more than 20+ in the OHL (quality of players faced).  Again, provided he can actually handle that level of competition.

NHL ready is NHL ready regardless if a guys is 18 or 25 it really doesn't matter just as long as they are able to compete at that level and are physically able to handle it.  If Monahan can then he should be given the time at the NHL level, regardless of the line he slots into he'll eventually develop and progress.

Thing of the matter is, he is ready the only real question is how ready is he, 3rd line, top line, who knows?  At the end of the day many of our fans are so nervous with rookies because of decades of an over reliance on old vets, this needs to stop and let the youth fully take over.  To draft and acquire prospects and young talent is not good enough, they need the opportunity to play at the NHL level.  A good recent example of this team stunting young players is Horak and Byron, both were just getting to the point where they needed NHL level competition but then cam here and were back to the AHL which provided limited to no competition for them, their development stalled because if this.  Now last year Horak took a big step forward, why?  easy answer, he was getting quality mins at the NHL level to challenge him to improve.

Now back Monahan,the other consideration to sending him back to the 67's is we really do not want to expose him to the loosing mentality, put him and other young guys who are ready to play NHL in the main club, then let them play and learn,  Sure they will loose but every win and every loss they will either learn something or build confidence to fuel the desire to win more and they will grow as a team.  Look at Chi as a recent example of team commitment to youth, they simply gave them the opportunity to play.

I know this is a long winded way to simply state:

He's NHL ready,let him play.

Sure, but remember quality vs quantity counts too, which, is the point many of us are driving at.  Players need to be challenged, there is absolutely no point in him playing 20+ mins in the OHL and not being challenges, I'd argue 5-10 in the NHL of challenging mins is worth way more than 20+ in the OHL (quality of players faced).  Again, provided he can actually handle that level of competition.

NHL ready is NHL ready regardless if a guys is 18 or 25 it really doesn't matter just as long as they are able to compete at that level and are physically able to handle it.  If Monahan can then he should be given the time at the NHL level, regardless of the line he slots into he'll eventually develop and progress.

Thing of the matter is, he is ready the only real question is how ready is he, 3rd line, top line, who knows?  At the end of the day many of our fans are so nervous with rookies because of decades of an over reliance on old vets, this needs to stop and let the youth fully take over.  To draft and acquire prospects and young talent is not good enough, they need the opportunity to play at the NHL level.  A good recent example of this team stunting young players is Horak and Byron, both were just getting to the point where they needed NHL level competition but then cam here and were back to the AHL which provided limited to no competition for them, their development stalled because if this.  Now last year Horak took a big step forward, why?  easy answer, he was getting quality mins at the NHL level to challenge him to improve.

Now back Monahan,the other consideration to sending him back to the 67's is we really do not want to expose him to the loosing mentality, put him and other young guys who are ready to play NHL in the main club, then let them play and learn,  Sure they will loose but every win and every loss they will either learn something or build confidence to fuel the desire to win more and they will grow as a team.  Look at Chi as a recent example of team commitment to youth, they simply gave them the opportunity to play.

He's NHL ready,let him play.

If he is up I hope he stays on merit.

I think some of us (me included) have seen players that are close but not quite ready pushed into the lineup too early (GM showing off the shiny new pick because he has nothing else) & becoming a bit gun shy so they never hit their potential.

Being the best player on the '67s probably won't help developement but many of us are hoping he's traded in the OHL to a team that will. Regardless, TC time @ the WJC will.

Your suggestion to fill the roster with youngsters Monahan, Horak & Byron) to let them play & that losing will teach or build confidence can go 2 ways. What you suggest or it could just inure them to losing.

Sure there is. But more then likely the first line minutes in the CHL will be with guys that are worse then the 4th line guys on the Flames. If his options are the 67s or sheltered minutes on the Flames he should stay with the Flames. Different story if the 67s are willing to trade him.

Archived