s4xon

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

So...guess we're running with Rittich and Wolf...

Week to week...like 4 to 6 of them...

And the good news is that it's his right hand, which means that he should still be able to play guitar without too many modifications. I have broken a couple of fingers, and been able to make the splint work as a guitar slide. The only time it was ever really a problem was when it was my thumb because I couldn't push off the back of the neck.

Love.

• Haha 1

With Wolf being a prospect that plays a ton, should we not worry about the "break him in slowly" part?

For me, I'd be willing to give him Markstrom's role as starter. As I said, he's been playing the majority of his team's games for 5 years now and counting. He's won all the hardware he possibly could by playing a lot, so....play him a lot?

This isn't based on 1 game, but that playing a lot is his normal rhythm. I was thinking it would kind of be a bummer to bring him up as a backup, because you never get a read if he only gets random games once every 10 days.

Has to be one of the most decorated goalies to enter the league. I get the "only 22" argument, but I question relevance.

Why not give him a chance to take the starter's role? We already know what Vladar is, a solid backup.

You don't know without a fair look. If he needs more time, fair enough. "Ruining confidence" is just an excuse, he's not a 12yo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

With Wolf being a prospect that plays a ton, should we not worry about the "break him in slowly" part?

For me, I'd be willing to give him Markstrom's role as starter. As I said, he's been playing the majority of his team's games for 5 years now and counting. He's won all the hardware he possibly could by playing a lot, so....play him a lot?

This isn't based on 1 game, but that playing a lot is his normal rhythm. I was thinking it would kind of be a bummer to bring him up as a backup, because you never get a read if he only gets random games once every 10 days.

Has to be one of the most decorated goalies to enter the league. I get the "only 22" argument, but I question relevance.

Why not give him a chance to take the starter's role? We already know what Vladar is, a solid backup.

You don't know without a fair look. If he needs more time, fair enough. "Ruining confidence" is just an excuse, he's not a 12yo.

I fully agree with this. I was happy to see him start last night. Couldn't stand the media who was suggesting they should go back to Vladar because he has a good first period and deserved a bounce back. 

No offence to him but as you say we know what Vladar is and we know it's not good enough to be a starter. Why not roll with a guy you think might be able to start. 

Perfectly logically to me and it's why I'm not worried about Markstrom's injury. It's a great chance to see what Wolf can do. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The next 3 games will see Wolf at least once.  I think we saw what Wolf is.  I think he's good enough to face 2 of the next 3 teams.  You are correct that we know what Vladar is.  He's a backup, at time great, at times not so much.  Wolf has always been a starter and should be replacing the starter.  That's how teams get awesome goalie pairs.  We saw it one year only with Marky/Vladar but it's never been close to that in the other years.  

That's all just related to using him during this injury relief situation.  The other thing is figuring out whether you even need to keep Vladar.  You use Vladar more now and all you do is have another question mark.  What do I do with 3 goalies.  Wolf is going to require waivers at some point and unles we know what he can do, we are just left wondering again.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The next 3 games will see Wolf at least once.  I think we saw what Wolf is.  I think he's good enough to face 2 of the next 3 teams.  You are correct that we know what Vladar is.  He's a backup, at time great, at times not so much.  Wolf has always been a starter and should be replacing the starter.  That's how teams get awesome goalie pairs.  We saw it one year only with Marky/Vladar but it's never been close to that in the other years.  

That's all just related to using him during this injury relief situation.  The other thing is figuring out whether you even need to keep Vladar.  You use Vladar more now and all you do is have another question mark.  What do I do with 3 goalies.  Wolf is going to require waivers at some point and unles we know what he can do, we are just left wondering again.

Not this season. Has 76 more games to go on his exemption. 

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

ya, I think Noodles said it last week on the Barn Burner, he was a starter until he wasn't. Every nhl goalie was a starter. Maybe to your point, when you take them out of the role they change. 

Rinne might be one of the rare goalies who was just as good as the starter in their team as a jr aged goalie. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is dumb IMO. Wolf should be starting tomorrow and then adjust for the back to back next week. 

Well thanks for ruining my Friday...this IS dumb. This is going to annoy the crap out of the fanbase. If Vladar happens to falter, hopefully they take it out on Huska and not him.

*maybe Vladar's in the starter net to have the shooters accustomed to a typical goalie and not a lateral-moving bullet.lol

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Would be kinda crazy if Wolf doesn’t start tomorrow.

I would start Wolf tomorrow and in Denver. Vladar in Vegas.

Buddy of mine (Oiler fan) went to the game last night. Said it was crazy how much the crowd already loves Wolf.

I'm in Ontario, it's permeating beyond just me invested in Flames news. My buddies know him because we watched his first call up. Now they seem to text me whenever they hear his name.lol

I have little doubt that he may get sensationalized as more audiences see him. He's something people really haven't seen before. I myself have never seen a goalie so lightning fast in the crease, it's almost a spectacle.

I'm not sure why you'd hold him back from a mgmt perspective, fans will turn rabid, or you're selling more tickets. It's a pretty obvious choice, imho. You didn't sit Zary or Pospisil after successful, "prove it", auditions, not sure why you'd move the goalposts for Wolf. Unless you enjoy a venomous fanbase.

The bonus is he'll always remind me not to run out of any or all of...

Products_in_Field.jpg?w=600

And I still have my favourite book from Gilroy, just a different cover...

51Uzr4rbC7L._SX342_SY445_.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Same goalie coach as last year.  What do you really expect to be different?

Not suggesting don’t play Vladar. They have a back to back coming up so he’ll for sure play. 
but a young goalie who is your hope for the future os coming off a strong game. Priority should he getting him to build off it not trying to squeeze a mid round pick out of some team. 

On 12/9/2023 at 12:38 AM, conundrumed said:

I'm in Ontario, it's permeating beyond just me invested in Flames news. My buddies know him because we watched his first call up. Now they seem to text me whenever they hear his name.lol

I have little doubt that he may get sensationalized as more audiences see him. He's something people really haven't seen before. I myself have never seen a goalie so lightning fast in the crease, it's almost a spectacle.

I'm not sure why you'd hold him back from a mgmt perspective, fans will turn rabid, or you're selling more tickets. It's a pretty obvious choice, imho. You didn't sit Zary or Pospisil after successful, "prove it", auditions, not sure why you'd move the goalposts for Wolf. Unless you enjoy a venomous fanbase.

It's a curious thing.  Pretty much it's excitement to finally see our prospects play.

Wolf is special.  With the D settled down, he could pitch shutouts.

Funny how Pospisil was sat, although it may be illness.

Almost like the regulars will never sit no matter how poorly they play.

Honestly, I haven't seen poor games by any of the kids.

They make mistakes and learn.

An off game for them is as good as a normal game for some.

Lindholm has off games and does nothing.

Huberdeau may just sit some games for the good he does.

Mangiapane is 50/50 for good bad.

Others have more bad than good, but I won't go there.

As much as Vladar shows up good, we might as well trade him for a decent offer.

I don't think he has starter in him.

And that's the only reason why he's playing 20+ per season.

For when we need a starter or Markstrom retires, whichever comes first.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It's a curious thing.  Pretty much it's excitement to finally see our prospects play.

Wolf is special.  With the D settled down, he could pitch shutouts.

Funny how Pospisil was sat, although it may be illness.

Almost like the regulars will never sit no matter how poorly they play.

Honestly, I haven't seen poor games by any of the kids.

They make mistakes and learn.

An off game for them is as good as a normal game for some.

Lindholm has off games and does nothing.

Huberdeau may just sit some games for the good he does.

Mangiapane is 50/50 for good bad.

Others have more bad than good, but I won't go there.

As much as Vladar shows up good, we might as well trade him for a decent offer.

I don't think he has starter in him.

And that's the only reason why he's playing 20+ per season.

For when we need a starter or Markstrom retires, whichever comes first.

i dunno if that teaches them. For me, I'm ok if they sit. I'd like a vet to as well to say, you have a bad game you sit. I get there is supposed to be respect but I think respect should be earned and there have been so many bad games by vets they should have lost that earned respect.

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

there have been so many bad games by vets they should have lost that earned respect.

I'd argue that it would create the toxic locker room environment that we're tired of hearing about. Sad, but true.

I believe they mentioned it was illness pregame, and Vladar also wasn't 100% due to illness. Pospisil could also be a little banged up, but he hasn't been playing particularly well either. I'm fine if he sits, not worried, it's a big adjustment. A very small number of a special few just walk into this league with no need for patience.

Pospisil will be fine and doesn't need to be hurried.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully Marky spent IR time reviewing his past few games. He stayed in his net last game. Regardless of the play-the-puck result, it looks to me like it affects his crease play in that he's moving too much when he's going out of his crease too often.

Looked great last game. Forget the puck play, that's the job of the 5 skaters.

Hoping this is a trend that he saw and is fixing. Any risk below 80-20 is too high, just stop whatever play/breakaway results from not playing a 60-40 chance.

I've always championed that he's a great goalie, but just stay in your crease where the puck's always in front of you.

• Like 2