s4xon

32 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

If he was retiring, sure ..he's playing somewhere next year.

Gotta be honest, I really hope he takes a pay cut and re signs..if only to watch this board light up 😎

Imagine the board's reaction to a bidding war for him. 

12 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Imagine the board's reaction to a bidding war for him. 

only if we win it :)

in all seriousness, I 100% believe Smith is BT's #1 target for signing .. it will come down to dollars and Smith himself. Similar to Stone in the sense of , go check the market and then we'll talk . 

I'll even add to this , why a big part of me believes Smith is back next year 

He leaves for only one of 2 reasons 

1. he's offered considerably more than we are willing to pay 

2. Hes offered a starting job -- which is also the only way #1 happens 

Hes at the stage of his career where its not about the payday , its about winning 

name me one  remotely contending team that needs a starting goalie..maybe Columbus?

Hes an ultra competitive guy , he knows how close we are , its like unfinished business

BT WILL makes an offer .. will depend on the market and Smith himself 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

in all seriousness, I 100% believe Smith is BT's #1 target for signing .. it will come down to dollars and Smith himself. Similar to Stone in the sense of , go check the market and then we'll talk . 

Hes at the stage of his career where its not about the payday , its about winning 

name me one  remotely contending team that needs a starting goalie..maybe Columbus?

Hes an ultra competitive guy , he knows how close we are , its like unfinished business

I think ewwwwwwww and then realize the other options aren’t there. 

Smith was good in the playoffs. But I feel like last year was his last kick at it. 

Id only sign him to 1yrs and reassess the next year. 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

If you listen to BT, he talks about a deal and situation that makes sense or both sides.

What else is hoing to say.

He talked the same way about Brouwer last June.

Finding a fit.

Makes sense for both sides.

Another year older.

Possibly another 2017/18 season with him on board.

BT is going to find whayever he can and maybe he gets it right.

He'd be re-signed if he was going in that direction.

Rittich is the focus for re-signing.

And Tkachuk.

And Bennett.

Plus the RFA's.

A trade or UFA singing for a backup is a stronger possibility than Smith taking $1.7m 

He's not spending $6m if it includes Smith.

This isn;t a hatred of the guy, just been there done that.

2 seasons without overall success and our #1 still hasn;t played a minute of playoffs.

Strange, because I could have sword that he had a really good season.

But, I digress

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If you listen to BT, he talks about a deal and situation that makes sense or both sides.

Finding a fit.

Another year older.

And Tkachuk.

And Bennett.

Plus the RFA's.

A trade or UFA singing for a backup is a stronger possibility than Smith taking $1.7m 

2 seasons without overall success and our #1 still hasn;t played a minute of playoffs.

But, I digress

Oh I do agree, I wasn't clear , if he resigns it's to be #2 with Rittich getting the nod as the #1. This is definitely Rittichs time to take over .

Keep in mind too, Rittich was playing injured so that likely had a big part of him not getting a start. As well, as I mentioned previously as much as some fans beat on it , the team wants the puck playing factor 

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Oh I do agree, I wasn't clear , if he resigns it's to be #2 with Rittich getting the nod as the #1. This is definitely Rittichs time to take over .

Keep in mind too, Rittich was playing injured so that likely had a big part of him not getting a start. As well, as I mentioned previously as much as some fans beat on it , the team wants the puck playing factor 

Perhaps that's something they re-evaluate this summer.   I hope so.

Overall, I can think of very few games where overplaying the puck won the game, while the number of losses caused by same is easier to point out.  Probably equals out, so my point is why bother.

Which of the SCF final teams employed that strategy.

Spoiler alert.  NONE.

During the season, I think BP was blinded to needing it to win games.

After reflection and depending on what they have as a starter/backup combo, that could be done here.

If Rittich struggles with it, why force it on the goalie.

His confidence is far more important than some ideals.  

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Finding a fit.

Another year older.

And Tkachuk.

And Bennett.

Plus the RFA's.

But, I digress

i'm okay with Smith resigning... only if he's allowed to use a fishing net instead of a trapper.. His glove hand is so slow , he's have a heard time catching a bowling ball

I think the Flames won’t re-sign Smith, he wants to be a starter, and most likely Rittich will be getting a 3 year deal this summer (2 years walks him right to UFA). I think a team like Philly with a young goalie like Hart or even Edmonton where he could be the guy would be better fits

I think they need to be careful when resigning Rittich, yes he had an amazing year but does that mean it will continue? I would sign him to a bridge deal to see if he can continue his success then talk about a bigger deal. There is not a lot of options that are out there to replace Smith in FA. But we do need to have a 1B since we will not have a clear cut #1.  

3 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

What Calgary may do is Not resign smith Make rittich 1a then gillis 1b

That is possible, but I would suggest that they don't go throught the summer assuming Gillies will make the cut.

Last year, we had Rittich and Gillies as possibles for the NHL backup.

We know how that ended up.

Expecting a guy to go from a handfull of NHL starts and playing all of last season in the AHL to a backup capable of a 1b role is unlikely.

Rittich was slated for 25 starts last year and won the job by Smith crapping the bed early.

25 starts is reasonable for a backup if your starter can play 59 games.

I doubt they project Rittich for that many, so Gillies would need to play closer to 40 games.

He's not ready.

The Flames are more likely to sign a guy they can expect to play 40+ games.

Talbot, Lehner, Varly, Mrazek and others fit that bill.

Cost will be a big factor, so they probably want to stay under $3m, unless the guy is a winner and can play 50+ games.

Or the trade option is also there.

Smith may be an option, but they are just looking at it because of loyalty.

He doesn't fit the bill anymore.

He wants to play 60 games and be paid like a starter.

He wants to be the playoff hero.

His decline is obvious and the Flames need to look at better options.

Looks like Mrazek will be on the market as the Canes dont feel they can get a deal done.  I'm guessing he wants true #1 starter status and get paid accordingly.  Considering how both the team and Mrazek performed last year either the Canes are being stingy with the offer or Mrazek is being greedy.

Yeah but td Couple thing play into this 1 if he doesnt make the cust he now is officially going waivers to be sent down unlike lastyear so if we dont keep him up we lose a goalie 

cause his contract turned into one way next season so you dont want him claimed for free either also with the cap being what it is suppose to be that doesnt give calgary alot breathing room to manaeuver another through free agency

11 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Yeah but td Couple thing play into this 1 if he doesnt make the cust he now is officially going waivers to be sent down unlike lastyear so if we dont keep him up we lose a goalie 

cause his contract turned into one way next season so you dont want him claimed for free either also with the cap being what it is suppose to be that doesnt give calgary alot breathing room to manaeuver another through free agency

Goalies get waived the first day of the season all over the league.

Far better ones have gone unclaimed.

Gillies may be a cheap claim, but there are far too few available spots in the NHL for a team to take a chance once the season starts.

McBackup was claimed because he had good stats.

Binnington wasn't claimed even with his AHL record.

Gillies contract is completely gone off the cap if he gets demoted (waived and sent) to the AHL.

It doesn't have any negative cap issues with it.

It looks like McElhinney is also testing the FA market. He would be fine as a backup and if Gilles or Zagidullin beat him out at camp, then he could be waived, likely claimed by another team and therefore no cap hit. Unless the Flames are going after a true Starter to be the starter with BSD as backup, then I would rather look at a short term 1b / 2 goalie to let Rittich see what he can really do and see what we really have in our prospects. 

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

It looks like McElhinney is also testing the FA market. He would be fine as a backup and if Gilles or Zagidullin beat him out at camp, then he could be waived, likely claimed by another team and therefore no cap hit. Unless the Flames are going after a true Starter to be the starter with BSD as backup, then I would rather look at a short term 1b / 2 goalie to let Rittich see what he can really do and see what we really have in our prospects. 

I think all last season did for Rittich is proved he can play at the NHL level. Whether he is starter material or back up he has certainly earned his part in any dual. Personally I feel he would definitely be able to handle his share of games in a back up role and we all know you have to be prepared for injuries. The starter I would target is Mrazek at 4.5M on a 5 year term.

Admittedly I'm not a big Talbot fan and the last two years I saw him have a major issue with his glove hand last year. Think he was the worst goalie in the league, and it wasn't close, in shots above his glove hand. Feel it's a weakness that was exploited and not confident the flames can fix it. 

That being said this was a goalie who was an upper end backup in New York and then a Vezina calibre goalie when he was the starter in Edmonton. He got completely overplayed and mis managed by a desperate and incompetent franchise, playing behind a mess of a defence. Now his numbers did a big slide so there isn't a lot to suggest he will turn it around other than gut feel.  So while I'm not a fan myself,  a short term deal and a bit of a bet on a return to that level is not exactly a bad idea. Could live with a 1-2 year deal under 3 mill AAV. 

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

Admittedly I'm not a big Talbot fan and the last two years I saw him have a major issue with his glove hand last year. Think he was the worst goalie in the league, and it wasn't close, in shots above his glove hand. Feel it's a weakness that was exploited and not confident the flames can fix it. 

That being said this was a goalie who was an upper end backup in New York and then a Vezina calibre goalie when he was the starter in Edmonton. He got completely overplayed and mis managed by a desperate and incompetent franchise, playing behind a mess of a defence. Now his numbers did a big slide so there isn't a lot to suggest he will turn it around other than gut feel.  So while I'm not a fan myself,  a short term deal and a bit of a bet on a return to that level is not exactly a bad idea. Could live with a 1-2 year deal under 3 mill AAV. 

i'm more of a fan of turning the net around backwards and having the other team bank the puck in off the board for a goal than ever seeing Smith in net here again.. I have to disagree with you about Talbutt having the worst glove hand.. Smith is so slow on his glove side.. he couldn't catch time even if it stopped

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

I would still like to see the Czech connection in our net, Mrazek and Rittich. Everyone wanted to see a rebound from Mrazek, well it happened. Rittich proved he can handle a NHL net last season but I don't think we anoint him a #1 starter immediately. If the Flames want to win a SC over the next 3 season cheaping out on Goaltending isn't the way to go about it.