s4xon

49 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tkachuk's goal was the worst line change I have ever seen.  The Flames had been hemmed in and had the puck deep, but the D waited too long to change.  Turnover results in 2 on 0.  Neither Smith nor Rittich had much of a chance, but Rittich may have stopped it had he been fresh, not wasting away for 5 games.

Right

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You do recall that he has been very good at stopping breakaways in the past.

In some games 2 or 3 of them.

Goalies get beat, we won the game 2-1 just like Smith as in some of the last few games. Why must you keep going on about our goaltending ? No matter how hard you try you will not be setting up the schedule. LOL

While a Smith injury would suck, we could survive it. 

Last year when it happened there were lots of factors at play

-poor coaching

-Rittich was a rookie

-Monahan was severely injured, Rittich could have played well and the team could have missed still

We have a bit of a cushion at the top of the division. Home ice is almost a guarantee. If Smith has to miss any time that's fine, Rittich can just relax and play his game he doesn't need to be a saviour

39 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

-poor coaching

-Rittich was a rookie

-Monahan was severely injured, Rittich could have played well and the team could have missed still

We have a bit of a cushion at the top of the division. Home ice is almost a guarantee. If Smith has to miss any time that's fine, Rittich can just relax and play his game he doesn't need to be a saviour

No. Smith. You don't don't get hurt on those plays. Like last year. How tf do you get hurt on that?

Better not be now, that's lame.

31 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

-poor coaching

-Rittich was a rookie

Timing would be worse now, last year we knew the severity leading up to the TDL.  This year I have a little more faith in Rittich but a lot less in the others.

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

No. Smith. You don't don't get hurt on those plays. Like last year. How tf do you get hurt on that?

Better not be now, that's lame.

That screams long-term injury to me. As someone above noted, Smith looked as flexible as 70s Elvis. He is not stretching because an injury is preventing him from doing so, and he is degrading. He has had some time to recuperate I believe.

9 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

That screams long-term injury to me. As someone above noted, Smith looked as flexible as 70s Elvis. He is not stretching because an injury is preventing him from doing so, and he is degrading. He has had some time to recuperate I believe.

He's had a lot already. Why not?

He can recuperate right off of the roster if he likes.

Wish he'd done it before TDL though, as I've been saying...

• Like 1

Anyone have goaltending concerns moving forward?

Smith has won his last 5 starts, 4 with 2 GA or less and 1 with 4 GA.

Rittich is 2-1-1 and pulled against SJS (2 GA) and had 6 GA against TBL.

Prior to that:

Smith 2-2-1 (one being a relief where he gave up 3).

Rittich 4-0-1

I don't see some of the issues that plagued Smith before he went on the run, but I'm not convinced he has been better than Rittich.

What say you?  Should we still be giving Smith a bunch of starts or is Rittich the main target to get us into and in the playoffs?

There's no free linch here.  If a goalie struggles, he may need to sit.  By the same token, a win streak is a product of the team not just the goalie.  A month ago, we were suggesting that Rittich should start 2/3 of the games for the rest of the season.  Now that has changed or so it seems.

There was a rumor that we were targeting Elliott when Talbot was traded, but Smith's run and Elliott's late return to the roster changed that.

Concern is a strong word but would I say I have complete faith in them going forward? No.

Something that I don't think is receving enough attention is how much the Flames have clamped down defensively recently. In the last 10 games the Flames are top 5 in basically all defensive catogires. Corsi Against, Fenwick against, Shots against, Chances against and high danger chances against at 5 on 5. The high danger chances is huge as well because if there has been an Achilles heel to this team defensively it's been that, so goes to show that they've really played a stingy brand of hockey recently. 

So while the goalie numbers are encouraging I think it's due more to the play in front of them, especially Smith. I still don't love the way Smith is playing but the team in front of him is making their job easier. So not concerned moving forward but i'm also not ready to say Smith is "back". 

I also think its pretty clear that Smith is their preferred playoff starter and if the playoffs were to start tomorrow he'd be the guy. My gut tells me you'll see Smith get more starts than Rittich unless he falters and they have go back to Rittich, but I think Smith is they guy they hope is ready to go for playoffs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Concern is a strong word but would I say I have complete faith in them going forward? No.

Something that I don't think is receving enough attention is how much the Flames have clamped down defensively recently. In the last 10 games the Flames are top 5 in basically all defensive catogires. Corsi Against, Fenwick against, Shots against, Chances against and high danger chances against at 5 on 5. The high danger chances is huge as well because if there has been an Achilles heel to this team defensively it's been that, so goes to show that they've really played a stingy brand of hockey recently. 

So while the goalie numbers are encouraging I think it's due more to the play in front of them, especially Smith. I still don't love the way Smith is playing but the team in front of him is making their job easier. So not concerned moving forward but i'm also not ready to say Smith is "back". 

I also think its pretty clear the Smith is there preferred playoff starter and if the playoffs were to start tomorrow he'd be the guy. My gut tells me you'll see Smith get more starts than Rittich unless he falters and they have go back to Rittich, but I think Smith is they guy they hope is ready to go for playoffs. 

Concern may be the wrong word to use about the usage.  Team playing better in front.  Check.

I have more concern about Smith's ability to maintain this level of work.  He got burned out to the point of injury last season.  He looks like he is one awkward save away from a "mystery 3rd period absense" or outright injury.  Two years in a row and he makes a routine save against the same team and gets injured.  This year he says it's nothing and appeared to work through it.

BP is fortunate, he has managed his goaltenders to date in a way that he can now turn to either one at any time. He is not going to burn a goalie out heading down the stretch. I see the work load getting split 60-40. Smith likely gets the 60 but I think that could change any time. I don't see a concern, that left with the TDL. What I see now is a bandwagon, time to get on and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CheersMan said:

BP is fortunate, he has managed his goaltenders to date in a way that he can now turn to either one at any time. He is not going to burn a goalie out heading down the stretch. I see the work load getting split 60-40. Smith likely gets the 60 but I think that could change any time. I don't see a concern, that left with the TDL. What I see now is a bandwagon, time to get on and enjoy the ride.

What a surprise from the preseason when we were all worried Smith would start too many.

Rittich has been superb, as has Smith, at not letting this turn into a controversy and a distraction.

All the talk now has turned to us and TBay being the 2 teams that can beat you 2-1 or 7-6.:)

Is it just me, or are subdivision builders like Shane Homes a key player in destroying Calgary's housing market?

For $10/save.

In '94 I bought a beautiful 4 level split in Cambrian Heights for $160,000. Mainly retired, older community, gorgeous view of the city out our dining room window.

25 years later, it's likely worth a million.

Call it supply and demand all you like, a lot of people got rich exposing the demand side. By '99-01, real estate spiraled out of control.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Is it just me, or are subdivision builders like Shane Homes a key player in destroying Calgary's housing market?

For $10/save.

In '94 I bought a beautiful 4 level split in Cambrian Heights for $160,000. Mainly retired, older community, gorgeous view of the city out our dining room window.

25 years later, it's likely worth a million.

Call it supply and demand all you like, a lot of people got rich exposing the demand side. By '99-01, real estate spiraled out of control.

Welcome to Vancouver! It’s insane!

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Welcome to Vancouver! It’s insane!

House broke? I feel for you.

Beautiful place, but wow, that's prohibitive on the finances.

I had a lot of friends there, now just a couple.

The others were totally house-broke.

Hadn't taken a holiday in half a decade-type thing.

That's not living.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

What a surprise from the preseason when we were all worried Smith would start too many.

Rittich has been superb, as has Smith, at not letting this turn into a controversy and a distraction.

All the talk now has turned to us and TBay being the 2 teams that can beat you 2-1 or 7-6.:)

It's been a bit of an unexpected roller coast ride thus far, I think we would all welcome smooth track here on in, but with a quarter season to go chances are we see a few bumps yet. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Compilation of Fenruary's best saves by both goalies:

It's been a combined tandem effort. One falters, the other picks up the slack, and like Conundrum mentioned, they seemingly get along and support one another.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

House broke? I feel for you.

Beautiful place, but wow, that's prohibitive on the finances.

I had a lot of friends there, now just a couple.

The others were totally house-broke.

Hadn't taken a holiday in half a decade-type thing.

That's not living.

Sort of. I was getting out of art school as the market started to slowly ascend. I had to die to make it and that wasn’t happening.... so I got a job to start pay off student debt and by that was done, the market was out of reach!

i couldn’t make a save! Well not enough to...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

Sort of. I was getting out of art school as the market started to slowly ascend. I had to die to make it and that wasn’t happening.... so I got a job to start pay off student debt and by that was done, the market was out of reach!

There are a lot of nice towns that like nice people.:)

Circling back to goaltending....

Who do you think should get the start on Iggy night?

The list of games upcoming:

MIN

TO

VGK/ARI

VGK

NJ

NYR/WPG

Makes sense that Smith should get the start Saturday, due to him being a long time NHL player.  Faced Iggy many times.  Performance-wise, they had very similar results against Minny.  The other 7 games is either based on previous records or hot hand.  TO, Smith won.  VGK, Rittich won one and lost one, but had no maore than 2 GA in each.  ARI have been all Smith wins with 2GA or less.  NJ was a Rittich win.  NYR was a Rittich win.  WPG have both been Rittich wins.

Ideally, you go Smith (MIN), Rittich(VGK), Smith(ARI), Rittich(VGK), Rittich(NJ), Smith(NYR), Rittich(WPG). 

23 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Makes sense that Smith should get the start Saturday, due to him being a long time NHL player.  Faced Iggy many times.  Performance-wise, they had very similar results against Minny.  The other 7 games is either based on previous records or hot hand.  TO, Smith won.  VGK, Rittich won one and lost one, but had no maore than 2 GA in each.  ARI have been all Smith wins with 2GA or less.  NJ was a Rittich win.  NYR was a Rittich win.  WPG have both been Rittich wins.

Ideally, you go Smith (MIN), Rittich(VGK), Smith(ARI), Rittich(VGK), Rittich(NJ), Smith(NYR), Rittich(WPG). 

Game 1 - Smith

Check.