s4xon

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

They would probably take Smith if the Flames paid for it I would imagine. I can't imagine the price would be much more than a 3rd-4th round pick plus area but they may want something like a 2nd or a better prospect if Smith is in the deal. 

It the cost increases by adding Smith, I would be a bit hesitant.  

Could we deal with having 3 goalies, all of them waiver eligible?

At best, it gives you depth going into the playoffs.

At worst, it's a cap nightmare for the rest of the season, not allowing much unless Stone is put on LTIR.

As well, it leaves a former leader/goalie riding the popcorn circuit.

Doesn't seem as relevant with Rittich playing so well, but things not looking good with Bobrovsky in Columbus. If anyone is still interested....

Apparently Bob was not happy about getting pulled and he and Torts got into it and he refused to come back to the bench. Sounds like this is essentially a 1 game suspension.

No interest in Bob anymore. Love watching him play, but he has really soured me this year. I get he wants to test the UFA market as is his right. But his attitude has been brutal all year reportedly. I could understand if he was on a team like Ottawa but he’s in Columbus on a team with a legit chance to win a cup.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

No interest in Bob anymore. Love watching him play, but he has really soured me this year. I get he wants to test the UFA market as is his right. But his attitude has been brutal all year reportedly. I could understand if he was on a team like Ottawa but he’s in Columbus on a team with a legit chance to win a cup.

Youre forgetting the Torterella affect. Games where he was left in too long, games pulled early... 

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Youre forgetting the Torterella affect. Games where he was left in too long, games pulled early... 

True maybe he is just tired of Torts fair.

I'm still not interested as he will be very expensive to acquire and Markstrom and Varlamov for example have better save%, and this guy wants 10.5x7...

33 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm still not interested as he will be very expensive to acquire and Markstrom and Varlamov for example have better save%, and this guy wants 10.5x7...

Ya that’s a lot.

its scary because look at the Price contract. Never know that someone will get injured but the  price contract will hurt if he can’t turn it around.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:28 PM, MAC331 said:

The one thing nobody is mentioning which can be very important is Smith being supportive of Rittich. We often hear about the value of mentorship and I believe we have that throughout this team. I wouldn't be to worried about leaving things the way they are now.

Trade deadline in mind.. Rittich fell apart last year when Smith was gone.. This year.. Smith is still around and plays a seemingly important role in Rittich's mental make-up.. Maybe what we should really be looking for rather than a back-up.. is a competent emergency number 3 guy as our farm team goalies are crappin the bed this year

5 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

Trade deadline in mind.. Rittich fell apart last year when Smith was gone.. This year.. Smith is still around and plays a seemingly important role in Rittich's mental make-up.. Maybe what we should really be looking for rather than a back-up.. is a competent emergency number 3 guy as our farm team goalies are crappin the bed this year

Maybe it is Smith who is actually the goalie whisperer 

11 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

I wonder that too.

Smith could put all of this to bed by getting focused...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Bring in a backup and replace Sigalet with Smith.

You guys spend way to much time on the effects of a Goalie coach at this level. There is nothing Sigalet can do to help Smith with his lack of confidence. He has to play through it but he has to play some games.

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Varly is messed up right now.  No idea if he's injured still or is having a Smith year.  I would need to see him regain the net in COL before I even considered him next season.  I don't think it's a good idea this year TDL.

13 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

Rittich is a different player this year.  They mismanaged his starts and then expected him to turn into a starter overnight.  He was not put into the role until the season was slipping away.  We went from a strong January to post-All Star break of losing 6 in a row.  Yes in 4 of those we got a loser point.  This season, he was treated more like a 1b than a backup.  They ran with Smith for awhile, but used Rittich to balance the starts.  I have confidence that he has adjusted to the role of a goto guy this season.  His best starts were on the road, but he is managing to keep us in games at home now too.

The biggest concern I have is the team plays less concerned about preventing high-danger shots in front of Rittich.  At least it seems that way.  They get pretty lax.  It's almost like they expect him to make those saves.

I think we need a backup in case Smith can't get back into form.  Burn the extra roster spot.  McBackup would be ideal because he can play cold.    TBH, I think as long as they only give Smith single games he will be fine as a goalie.  3 in a row for Rittich, play Smith, then another 3 in a row for Rittich.

Gonna guess Smith starts against the Yotes.

Rittich has played 3 in 5 this work week and 4 games in 6 days. He also had that scary collision. Couple days off after the Arizona game before the buffalo game. Give him a little rest. Smith also played well against Arizona earlier this season

Sunday- Smith

Wednesday-Rittich

Friday- Smith

Saturday-Rittich, and also start him in the Carolina game

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Agree with this. 

I'll agree with it unless we lose.  :) 

I get it.  We need to manage Rittich's workload.

Especially where he is getting run over a bit too much these days.

What concerns me is that they haven;t gone to Smith sooner.

Does that mean they don't have confidence or he hasn;t looked good in practice.

I would like to see the team play their best defensive game ever in front of him.

Give him a game to work with.

If he can;t win with that, I don't know what to say.  

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would like to see the team play their best defensive game ever in front of him.

I would really like to know what is going on with Smith. The problem seems to be confidence given his net behaviour. How does a guy that competitive lose his confidence at 36? 

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I would really like to know what is going on with Smith. The problem seems to be confidence given his net behaviour. How does a guy that competitive lose his confidence at 36? 

I find myself getting the feint smell of opossum at times.

Other times, I think he's a good advisor for Rittich because he knows world class shooters all too well.

Good chats with Rittich.

Maybe it's just me, but that looks like a great relationship.

Dubnyk would have ridden off into the sunset if not for one guy.

Rittich's play has been sensational at times, only normal to think Smith is doing an amazing job passing the job off, as was the intent.

How about that angle? lol

• Like 2

16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I'm sure you will find something. LOL

13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I find myself getting the feint smell of opossum at times.

Other times, I think he's a good advisor for Rittich because he knows world class shooters all too well.

Good chats with Rittich.

Maybe it's just me, but that looks like a great relationship.

Dubnyk would have ridden off into the sunset if not for one guy.

Rittich's play has been sensational at times, only normal to think Smith is doing an amazing job passing the job off, as was the intent.

How about that angle? lol

I see a good situation evolving not one to be overly concerned about.

40 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Maybe every contender worries about goaltending in the cap era. Smith's play has me concerned about this year.

Somewhat I guess but I think he should be able to still provide some good starts and allow Rittich adequate rest. I think we all agree he is no longer the starter. Also I don't think we should be giving up assets for simply another back up unless either of these two gets long term injured.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I'm sure you will find something. LOL

Considering that Rittich is 6-0-1 in his last 7 starts, we need Smith to steal a game now and then.

The team plays better defensivel in front of him, yet he manages to give up weak goals.

TBH, I do know what to say.  If Smith can't get a win with limited starts, then we need one that can.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Considering that Rittich is 6-0-1 in his last 7 starts, we need Smith to steal a game now and then.

The team plays better defensivel in front of him, yet he manages to give up weak goals.

TBH, I do know what to say.  If Smith can't get a win with limited starts, then we need one that can.

I'm not sure what the interest would be  but the Leafs are going to have goalie issues again soon enough. When both Anderson and Sparks are back someone will have to go down to the A. By that time Hutch will have played enough times to need to clear waivers first, and I think so would Sparks. I'm not sure how long Anderson is out for but this situation should be coming up before the TDL.