s4xon

Ortio was not great for two games. He was good. He kept the team in the game and gave them a chance to win.

If we play him the remainder of the season and he plays pretty much the same level then I would consider keeping him for a backup role. 20 or so games is what most teams expect to get from a backup goalie and it is a bonus if that backup gives them good enough goaltending to give the team a chance to win.

On a side note: I have been one of the first and most vocal on the Flames needed to find a #1 goaltender.

I want to say I am not asking for an elite goaltender although that would be awesome if we could get one. Of course if the elite goaltender is elite I would give up some picks or prospects... because he would be worth it. There are only 5-6 true elite goaltenders so expecting to get one is near impossible.

This #1 goaltender I want does not have to be elite. Just good enough to play well for around 60 games.

There are presently 26 goalies that are at or above league Save % avg. Surely we can find 1 consistent goalie capable of playing at this level or higher(.916)

0c342fd9f795e17a0e25dc6796512ebc.png

Ortio was not great for two games. He was good. He kept the team in the game and gave them a chance to win.

If we play him the remainder of the season and he plays pretty much the same level then I would consider keeping him for a backup role. 20 or so games is what most teams expect to get from a backup goalie and it is a bonus if that backup gives them good enough goaltending to give the team a chance to win.

On a side note: I have been one of the first and most vocal on the Flames needed to find a #1 goaltender.

I want to say I am not asking for an elite goaltender although that would be awesome if we could get one. Of course if the elite goaltender is elite I would give up some picks or prospects... because he would be worth it. There are only 5-6 true elite goaltenders so expecting to get one is near impossible.

This #1 goaltender I want does not have to be elite. Just good enough to play well for around 60 games.

There are presently 26 goalies that are at or above league Save % avg. Surely we can find 1 consistent goalie capable of playing at this level or higher(.916)

0c342fd9f795e17a0e25dc6796512ebc.png

It's kind of funny looking at that list.  Only a few jump out for me that might even be available:

• Elliott (going on 31 - plays on a good team)
  • Allen (future in STL)
  • Andersen
  • Bishop (about the best we could hope for - established, huge, very good)
  • Hellebuyck
  • Varly

After that, it gets kind of foggy for me.  Can't get em or don't want em.

That's twice as many games as it took the Flames to banish him last year, after 5 straight wins.

The point is, some people on here seem to be more concerned with the distinct possibility that they were wrong about him, than being happy that he had two great games.

A whole let of energy is being used up defending positions on him, rather than saying "hey, kid had a great game".

Maybe they all see something I don't.  It couldn't possibly be ego-related.

Or that you know maybe people need 2 games before declaring someone is now an NHLer goalie and that they were right. THe amount of goalies and players that can play well for a few NHL games is extremely long, the ones that can stay is much shorter and that's the next test Ortio needs to pass. No one is routing against the guy but that doesn't mean people can't be skeptical, it's not an indictment it's just pointing out things you want to see him correct.

It's kind of funny looking at that list.  Only a few jump out for me that might even be available:

• Elliott (going on 31 - plays on a good team)
  • Allen (future in STL)
  • Andersen
  • Bishop (about the best we could hope for - established, huge, very good)
  • Hellebuyck
  • Varly

After that, it gets kind of foggy for me.  Can't get em or don't want em.

I think you can cross Allen and Hellebuyck off that list, I don't see any scenario where they are available. Hellebuyck is to Winnipeg as Gillies is to Calgary, except further along. Allen is the future in St. Louis. 

Elliot is a tricky guy to pin down, he has put up great numbers in St. Louis, but I just see him as a guy that you can run with for 50+ games.

Of the other 3 my picks in order would be Varlamov, Bishop then Andersen.

I think you can cross Allen and Hellebuyck off that list, I don't see any scenario where they are available. Hellebuyck is to Winnipeg as Gillies is to Calgary, except further along. Allen is the future in St. Louis. 

Elliot is a tricky guy to pin down, he has put up great numbers in St. Louis, but I just see him as a guy that you can run with for 50+ games.

Of the other 3 my picks in order would be Varlamov, Bishop then Andersen.

Let's face it.  Anybody could be made available.  All it takes is a horrendous playoff, cap or internal cap issues, difficulty signing (like Hamilton was ), winning a draft lottery, etc.

Andersen or Bishop are my two picks in no particular order (due to cost).

Let's face it.  Anybody could be made available.  All it takes is a horrendous playoff, cap or internal cap issues, difficulty signing (like Hamilton was ), winning a draft lottery, etc.

Andersen or Bishop are my two picks in no particular order (due to cost).

Fair enough.

Do you see those two as being cheaper than Varlamov, or do you not see Varlamov as a legit option?

Just curious, I see the arguments against Varlamov, I just see him putting up very good numbers the last few years, this being a down year, on one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Fair enough.

Do you see those two as being cheaper than Varlamov, or do you not see Varlamov as a legit option?

Just curious, I see the arguments against Varlamov, I just see him putting up very good numbers the last few years, this being a down year, on one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Goalies are voodoo.  Goalie value is even harder to predict.  Varly's consistency probably make him cheaper to obtain, but I don't think COL is ready to move on (who else do they have).  

Bishop is the only one in the Eastern conference.  All the others are in the West.  Might have to pay extra with the division, not as much extra for the Central.

REalistically, there are not many starters that are available.  Lots of backups that might be, but are they starters or Schrivens?

• Like 1

The last thing we need is to buy a goalie this trade deadline. For what it will cost and with the limited choices it is not worth it.

We have a #1 goalie in Ramo and maybe we are starting to see glimpses of a backup in Ortio emerging.

Most on here think BT can go out and buy us a #1 LOL we wont acquire a #1 with any of our UFAs so a valuable piece (or more) will have to be moved. Even if we find a #1 can we afford him next year?

And what would a #1 do for us the rest of the season? Probably get us a pick at draft in the 8- 10 range instead of the 5-6 range.

Ramo #1 with Ortio backup next season.

• Like 2

I think both Ramo and Ortio are questionable. Ramo has a serious injury that generally takes about 9 months to properly heal. That takes us way past free agency and it is a big gamble. Ortio's performances have been exceptional in the last two games. By exceptional, I mean they have been an exception in terms if his performance over the course of the season. His save percentage has been below .90 in both NHL and AHL. Our goaltending situation is bad. But I agree we need to be cautious before acquiring a goalie at the deadline. I would be happy to make a move for a good young back up goalie who is ready to step up, either as backup or starter, for the right price. I just can't see a deal out there. Getting our goaltending sorted out before next season is a massive task and a huge priority...

I think both Ramo and Ortio are questionable. Ramo has a serious injury that generally takes about 9 months to properly heal. That takes us way past free agency and it is a big gamble. Ortio has been exceptional in the last two games. By exceptional, I mean they have been an exception in terms if his performance over the course of the season. His save percentage has been below .90 in both NHL and AHL. Our goaltending situation is bad. But I agree we need to be cautious before acquiring a goalie at the deadline. I would be happy to make a move for a good young goalie who is ready to step up, either as backup or starter, for the right price. I just can't see a deal out there. Getting our goaltending sorted out before next season is a massive task and a huge priority...

I think both Ramo and Ortio are questionable. Ramo has a serious injury that generally takes about 9 months to properly heal. That takes us way past free agency and it is a big gamble. Ortio's performances have been exceptional in the last two games. By exceptional, I mean they have been an exception in terms if his performance over the course of the season. His save percentage has been below .90 in both NHL and AHL. Our goaltending situation is bad. But I agree we need to be cautious before acquiring a goalie at the deadline. I would be happy to make a move for a good young back up goalie who is ready to step up, either as backup or starter, for the right price. I just can't see a deal out there. Getting our goaltending sorted out before next season is a massive task and a huge priority...

I would say at this point our goaltending situation is wide open. Ortio with some good play over the remainder of the season can keep himself in the conversation, we need two. This is all I see for now.

We definitely don't go after a goalie until the season ends. Otherwise we'll be paying out the nose. 

Free agency if you can find a 4-5 mil player who's an improvement on Ramo, for a 2-3 year term, then sure, definitely go for it so long as we don't break the bank on a trade (UFA would be ideal, but a limited crop). 

Ortio if he keeps his play league average the rest of the season has earned the backup for next year. But that's still an IF. 

Really we won't have closure on the goalie issue until the end of the season and what direction we take. 

• Like 1

Not a good night by Ortio against Ottawa. Followed his MO though. A number of beautiful athletic saves and then he got flustered and gave up a bunch in a flurry. Ortio looks fantastic for a period/game or two and follows that up with a stinker.

He seems to struggle to track the puck, especially when there is traffic or a lot of activity. That leads to poor positioning. Like Hiller he has a tendency to go down too early. He also needs to work on his rebound control.

Hopefully the Flames give him next game. I want to see if he can respond. There is no reason not to at this point and he was very good for 7 periods or so and I think he has earned another game.

Not a good game by Ortio but I think you go back to him for sure. See how he responds.

He plays too low and goes down too quick. Got him out of position on 2 of the goals. Couldn't push off properly for the 2nd goal and then let's in one short side.

I don't really think he is any worse than Hiller.  Definitely quicker reflexes.  No point in ever playing Hiller again.

• Like 3

Ortio had 8 straight good periods followed by a stinker. 

Right now he's a slightly better option than Hiler, but his consistency is definitely a problem. Had a couple go in on him that maybe shouldn't, but of the 10 goals against him in the last 3 games, I would say you can only fault him on 4 of them (3 tonight). 

Going down too early is definitely the problem with his style. Rebounds are big, but that's a problem with most young goalies, that alone wouldn't be a problem. 

Still say he's a better choice than Hiller. 

• Like 1

Looking towards next season, I can't believe we resign Hiller. I don't think we can sign Ramo due to his injury and our lack of depth makes it too great a risk, especially with limited rewards. If Ortio/Poulin get resigned, I believe it will be for back-up or call-up, as Ortio has been inconsistent this year and diesn't aplear to have earned a lot of trust and he was called up before Poulin. We are at square one. Going into free agency in this situation is scary. This is why I believe Treliving will be looking into possibilities now.

Looking towards next season, I can't believe we resign Hiller. I don't think we can sign Ramo due to his injury and our lack of depth makes it too great a risk, especially with limited rewards. If Ortio/Poulin get resigned, I believe it will be for back-up or call-up, as Ortio has been inconsistent this year and diesn't aplear to have earned a lot of trust and he was called up before Poulin. We are at square one. Going into free agency in this situation is scary. This is why I believe Treliving will be looking into possibilities now.

That is what is key for me. Right now they have Ramo as a plan B. But after July 1 they may not. Not sure this gets done before the TDL. But I do think Treliving at least tries to do something St or before the draft.