s4xon

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Been a tough year for Parsons but he’s starting to find some good success. Stopped 100 of his last 106 shots. 
Flames still monitoring his usage coming off a groin injury. 

Good stuff.

Yeah worse defenseman generally means more high-danger opportunities so those numbers are encouraging.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem with this. Talbot is playing well and I think Rittich is going through a slump because the Flames and Peters over played him. 

Nice to see that finally the Flames figured this out and use their backup to help someone through a slump rather than just keep throwing that guy back out there again. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

No problem with this. Talbot is playing well and I think Rittich is going through a slump because the Flames and Peters over played him. 

Nice to see that finally the Flames figured this out and use their backup to help someone through a slump rather than just keep throwing that guy back out there again. 

I agree with this.  He was being used for no good reason.

You can't always just go with the starter because he has won more games.

Look at how the goalies played in losses.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:40 AM, travel_dude said:

I agree with this.  He was being used for no good reason.

You can't always just go with the starter because he has won more games.

Look at how the goalies played in losses.

I'm totally onboard with playing the hot hand right now and I like Rittich, but never understood the insane loyalty and over use the first half of this season.

Ben Bishop (better numbers everything) has play less than Rittich and it's not like we have some unproven backup from the KHL on our roster, because we went out and overpaid for two forwards to get us some scoring help.... Talby should be motivated after the last 2 years in Edmonton, he's got a real chance here to be the 1b (35 games) and if he plays above expectation, should even become 1a (45 games). There are very few Carey Price type goalies left in this league - in actuality not even Carey Price is Carey Price anymore. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WRuCOS said:

I'm totally onboard with playing the hot hand right now and I like Rittich, but never understood the insane loyalty and over use the first half of this season.

Ben Bishop (better numbers everything) has play less than Rittich and it's not like we have some unproven backup from the KHL on our roster, because we went out and overpaid for two forwards to get us some scoring help.... Talby should be motivated after the last 2 years in Edmonton, he's got a real chance here to be the 1b (35 games) and if he plays above expectation, should even become 1a (45 games). There are very few Carey Price type goalies left in this league - in actuality not even Carey Price is Carey Price anymore. 

Talbot didn't gain the trust due to shaky starts.

It took some time to get a win.

The coach is going to lean on the guy he knows first.

It's taken awhile and some shaky play by Rittich has allowed the coach to show some to Tabby.

Well deserved, but we need both going without too much time between starts.

This game is an exception, but I would prefer they use each goalie for about 2 starts before they swap.

50/50 unless one has a real good record against a specific team.

Talbot starting is for two reasons.

Grudge match.

Playing really hot.

I agree to a point, but Geoff Ward made an interesting comment when he took over, discussing Peters and the goalie situation. He said something to the effect that Peters never offered a plan of how the goalies would be used to him. I think that Peters going with the guy he trusted and I feel like Ward doesn't have that same stout loyalty. 

Talby was shaky in a few games, but it's hard to sit for 5 and come in for 1 (on a back to back) when your team is tired. Rittich has been who we thought him to be and that's fine, now it's time to see what / who Talby is, but hopefully they won't do the 5 -1 the other way and keep both goalies in the mix. 

Well deserved.

Just another thing to add to the list of why fans were bitter losing to the Flames.

Talbot seems to have worked really hard to fix the issues he had with his game in EDM.

Though I do think they can make any goalie look bad.

They destroy confidence and ruin careers.

Talbot was best when he first went there, and they actually had vets.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well deserved.

Just another thing to add to the list of why fans were bitter losing to the Flames.

Talbot seems to have worked really hard to fix the issues he had with his game in EDM.

Though I do think they can make any goalie look bad.

They destroy confidence and ruin careers.

Talbot was best when he first went there, and they actually had vets.

There was an article in the Athletic in preseason about Talbot returning to his original goalie coach to try to get back to basics.

That is why Talbot — after staying in Edmonton the past two offseasons — returned to his home town of Caledonia, Ont. The decision would allow him six weeks to get back to basics with his medieval mentor.

Which convinced Sigalet to make the trip to Hamilton, in the name of fostering a relationship with his new goalie and opening the doors of communication with Di Pronio, who’s been shaping Talbot’s game for 22 years

One of my worries when they signed Talbot was he is weak on the high glove side and I thought teams were exploiting it. Gamble was worth it, but I think the fit has been really good here as the Flames are one of the top teams in the league at preventing inner slot shots (the home plate area) that tend to target that glove side. I don't recall many teams/player even being able to target Talbot on the glove side this year. 

Not to take away from Talbot for getting himself back on track but i do think the fit has been really good here too. Didn't see it working this well even if I was ok with the gamble they took. 

18 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

So is this DiPronio guy looking for a job?

It's a tough one with goalies.

I think they get success from a specific coach coming up, then have a different coach that wants to see some changes. Then some of the fundamentals they've relied on start slipping enough to have an impact.

49 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's a tough one with goalies.

I think they get success from a specific coach coming up, then have a different coach that wants to see some changes. Then some of the fundamentals they've relied on start slipping enough to have an impact.

I bet confidence goes Away  with it too.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Big Save Dave is now a NHL All Star.

Just added to the roster.

I think he deserves more kudos than he’s been given. He had basically kept the Flames in it most of the season. He’s had a few rough games lately, but he’s been really good and mostly the only spark on a team where the team has looked bad two-thirds of the time. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think he deserves more kudos than he’s been given. He had basically kept the Flames in it most of the season. He’s had a few rough games lately, but he’s been really good and mostly the only spark on a team where the team has looked bad two-thirds of the time. 

agreed. 

short term memory remembers he’s let in 3 goals in the first period 3 out of his last 4 starts

long term memory reminds us we wouldn’t have been remotely close to first place in the division if Rittich didn’t bail out the team in games we had no business winning. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I see Rittich is getting the start tonight and on some level I get it, give him a chance to rebound after a rough start. My issue is that since Dec. 1 Rittich has a .900 save %. He has been extremely inconsistent start to start. 

In the same time frame Talbot has put up a .932 save % in 9 starts and 2 relief appearances.

It's time to give Talbot more of the starts till Rittich shows he can be more consistent.

At this point we just need wins and Talbot has been better and gives the team a better chance to win game. 

I don't really get the reluctance to use Talbot more in this stretch.

29 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I see Rittich is getting the start tonight and on some level I get it, give him a chance to rebound after a rough start. My issue is that since Dec. 1 Rittich has a .900 save %. He has been extremely inconsistent start to start. 

In the same time frame Talbot has put up a .932 save % in 9 starts and 2 relief appearances.

It's time to give Talbot more of the starts till Rittich shows he can be more consistent.

At this point we just need wins and Talbot has been better and gives the team a better chance to win game. 

I don't really get the reluctance to use Talbot more in this stretch.

I agree Talbot should be getting more starts. I think tonight’s game has more to do with getting Rittich to refocus on what’s next and not to continue to stew in the past (last game). Maybe give him an opportunity to get his confidence back. 

Despite the loss and everything, Talbot has earned the respect of his peers and feels pretty good about his effort last game. It would be good to have both goalies feeling good moving into that stretch of tough opponents. 

Again, I agree with you that Talbot has earned more starts as well. I’m thinking this is more a strategic move than anything else, and I’m ok with that for tonight. 

Think it's worth pointing gout that since Dec 1st the Flames are in the bottom 5 in the league in Coris against, Fenwick against, Shots against and scoring chances against. Rititch has been inconsistent sure but let's not absolve the team in front of him. 

Talbot's had a good run but I still think it makes sense to view Rittich as the starter. have zero problems with him going back in the net tonight and to see the Flames continue to use 2 goalies. Not like Talbot was great coming out of the all star break. 

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Think it's worth pointing gout that since Dec 1st the Flames are in the bottom 5 in the league in Coris against, Fenwick against, Shots against and scoring chances against. Rititch has been inconsistent sure but let's not absolve the team in front of him. 

Talbot's had a good run but I still think it makes sense to view Rittich as the starter. have zero problems with him going back in the net tonight and to see the Flames continue to use 2 goalies. Not like Talbot was great coming out of the all star break. 

Yes to that.

I don;t mind using Talbot, but there are certain games when you need to go back to the starter.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn’t mind BT extending Talbot. He has really bounced back after a tough season last year.

The Flames haven’t had a tandem this good in ages. Probably since the Kipper era, but even then it wasn’t really a tandem. 

I wonder if he would be willing to stay at his current cap hit at 2.75 on something like a 2 year extension. Young family, can’t imagine he would be too crazy about moving, yet again.

On the farm, Gillies is having a nice year, but he’s probably not an NHLer. Zagidulin I bet is one and done in NA. Parsons still a long ways away. Wolf still 3 years away at best 

6 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I wouldn’t mind BT extending Talbot. He has really bounced back after a tough season last year.

The Flames haven’t had a tandem this good in ages. Probably since the Kipper era, but even then it wasn’t really a tandem. 

I wonder if he would be willing to stay at his current cap hit at 2.75 on something like a 2 year extension. Young family, can’t imagine he would be too crazy about moving, yet again.

On the farm, Gillies is having a nice year, but he’s probably not an NHLer. Zagidulin I bet is one and done in NA. Parsons still a long ways away. Wolf still 3 years away at best 

I wouldn’t be opposed to an extension either, but he was pretty bad for the first few months so I’d definitely have no interest in giving him more but absolutely an extension for 1-2 makes sense, he’s recently been playing well enough to earn his current salary...but I’d say we need to save some bucks for a Rittich raise too...