s4xon

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

My concern with Parsons is the mental side of his game.

They need to work with him to keep him focused on the prize.

At least in Stockton, he will get about 50% of the games.

Last year they let Gillies go on runs (no matter how bad he was).

The ECHL is only good to get a bunch of games in.

Who knows what goalie coaching is like in Kansas.

The new goalie coach for Stockton, will be spending about a week out of every month in Kansas. At least that's what Kevin Woodley said on the radio the other day.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

The new goalie coach for Stockton, will be spending about a week out of every month in Kansas. At least that's what Kevin Woodley said on the radio the other day.

So, do you think it's better to split games fairly evenly between Parsons and Zag in Stockton or send one guy to the ECHL to play a bunch and the guy in Stockton splits with Gillies?  My preference would be even splits in Stockton and loan out Gillies.  I don't get why they are trying to salvage a guy that hasn't shown improvement.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

They replaced the guy in Stockyard, er I mean Stockton.

I'm still hoping that they replace the guy in Calgary...   If they want to be nice and still give him a job, maybe he could be head goaltending scout...   In Botswana...

36 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Good work out of Talbot. His last 2 appearances were solid. He looks like he’s ready for the regular season. When’s his first start? Can’t imagine they let him sit the first 5 games until the b2b in SJ, maybe at home against LA.

Good news for sure. Got better every game.

As for starts, I guess that will depend on how Rittich is playing and how many starts the org has planned for Talbot. If the are looking at more of a 1A 1B scenario then I agree against LA, and maybe even against Vancouver game 2. But if they are giving Rittich the chance to be a legitimate starter, and he is playing well, my guess is game 6 against San Jose

34 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

What kind of leash should we put on this goaltending tandem?

I think we are in fine shape. Ritter looks big and real good, has some confidence and comfort with a two year deal. I think he has a chance of running away with it. Talbot looks good too, proven talented goaltender who will push and maybe pass Ritter, he will steal wins and maybe the starters job as well. I think we will see a 50-50 split unless one guy dominates. Great competition, they'll figure it out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lou44291 said:

I’m thinking Rittich starts our season and Talbot starts the first away game (haven’t looked at schedule). Peters is going to “warm up” the fan base to Talbot before he plays him at home methinks. 

He's going to let him build confidence before he gives him big tests.

He knows what Ritter can do, and so far Ritter looks uber confident.

Talbot's focus looks good.

No distractions like he had up north.

Ritter is going to have to battle to keep the starter titles, even if BP doesn;t annoint him that way.

I think we are set up better than last year.

Ritter was a question mark coming into last season.

Smith was too, but was given the net to begin with.

Maybe Talbot doesn;t return to great, but we just need him to be better than Smith was last year. 

The biggest positive that I have observed this pre-season has to be Rittich. He looks cool and collective back there while maintaining position. The two that got by him this evening...….well not many are stopping those except the dmen doing there job in front of him. The starter position looks to be Ritters to lose. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CheersMan said:

The biggest positive that I have observed this pre-season has to be Rittich. He looks cool and collective back there while maintaining position. The two that got by him this evening...….well not many are stopping those except the dmen doing there job in front of him. The starter position looks to be Ritters to lose. 

That's a good thing.  Having the starter and backup get ramped up for regular season.

Rittich making saves in the pre-season like it was a playoff game.

Talbot improving as the games went on.

I haven't noticed any real weaknesses from their play.

No "glove side high", no "low blocker", no real tendency to give up bad rebounds.

8 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

But... but.... the Oilers are 2-0 lol, they had to score 6 to beat a bottom 3 team in the league 

Good luck scoring 6 on a regular basis.

All the talk of Smith's puckhandling and how it saves the team 160 hits per year.

Hrudey said that Smith would give up about 10-12 of these chances in a year, so they already are through 20% of them.

2 in 2 games is more like 82 of them.

The Oilers should win about 7 games in October (much like they do every season).

The fact that they play the majority against non-playoff teams will help them think they are on the tight track.

How long before the fans tire of the antics.

How long before Smith blames someone else.

So, is this considered the hot hand they want to use to pick the starter?

Interested to see who starts Tuesday, originally it felt like a good spot to get Talbot into a game, against a team we should beat. Maybe the Rittich shutout changes that though. Either way I think Talbot plays 1 of Tuesday or Thursday, then in SJ on the second half of the b2b. I seem to recall BP saying he doesn't want either of his goalies sitting on the bench too long to start the year, can't see Talbot not starting until the SJ game then. And I should reiterate Rittich has been fantastic, I'm just curious how they use Talbot, can't leave him too long without playing like they did with Lack

55 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Interested to see who starts Tuesday, originally it felt like a good spot to get Talbot into a game, against a team we should beat. Maybe the Rittich shutout changes that though. Either way I think Talbot plays 1 of Tuesday or Thursday, then in SJ on the second half of the b2b. I seem to recall BP saying he doesn't want either of his goalies sitting on the bench too long to start the year, can't see Talbot not starting until the SJ game then. And I should reiterate Rittich has been fantastic, I'm just curious how they use Talbot, can't leave him too long without playing like they did with Lack

I don't think it really matters who gets what game.

Yes, Talbot needs to play soon.

But he's no Lack.

We've had mixed results against LA and DAL.

Rittich lost to DAL in OT and I knew it bugged him because of the hit.

They probably have a schedule for the starts.

Maybe it gets adjusted every once in awhile, but mostly it's set.

In general, I would say don't give Rittich the next start just because he gets a shutout.

That never worked once for Smith; he lost every next game after a shutout.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think it really matters who gets what game.

Yes, Talbot needs to play soon.

But he's no Lack.

We've had mixed results against LA and DAL.

Rittich lost to DAL in OT and I knew it bugged him because of the hit.

They probably have a schedule for the starts.

Maybe it gets adjusted every once in awhile, but mostly it's set.

In general, I would say don't give Rittich the next start just because he gets a shutout.

That never worked once for Smith; he lost every next game after a shutout.

I think we should work horse Rittich. It's his next step. Talbot's his backup.

Rittich's ready. I've been drooling over his fundies since his A days.

He can be a Vezina candidate, imho.

45 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I was wondering if that’s how you go, or go about it in Kippers Vezina season. I think he played a portion of the season but was damn good. The other years I think he could’ve been better if we trusted a backup more, I think. Kipper had a habit of bouncing back, but I feel he could’ve had greater numbers with a bit of rest.

but like you, I see great fundies in this guy, and like you, saw it since we first got to see him ever in the NHL.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I wouldn't say full on workhorse, but definitely a starters load (60 games or so). That gives him 3 out of every 4. If he starts to falter we can cut him back to 2 out of every 3 or so (or even just 1 out of every 2, if he falters and Talbot heats up at the same time).  I don't want to work him quite the way we did Kipper (who was doing 70+ games a year and seemed to just be too tired for playoffs).

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm just wondering what makes sense for him.

He's primed to have a great year, but the team also has to help him out.

And we do need two goalies with similar results.

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I was wondering if that’s how you go, or go about it in Kippers Vezina season. I think he played a portion of the season but was damn good.

Kiprusoff played 74 games in his Vezina season (05/06)...

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The other years I think he could’ve been better if we trusted a backup more, I think. Kipper had a habit of bouncing back, but I feel he could’ve had greater numbers with a bit of rest.

With the exception of his first, and then final season (knee injury), the least number of games he played was 70, and that was in (11/12)...   and for that season his numbers were not much different than his Vezina winning season...   There was only a 0.02 difference (less) in SV%, and 0.28 (higher) in GA...

• Like 1