s4xon

11 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Both McElhinney and Pickard on waivers. I guess we will see how much faith Treliving has in Rittich. We will see if he makes a claim. 

Personally I think either is an upgrade. 

I could get behind a claim of either, although I don't think it happens only because of the logjam it would create in our crease.r 

I'm of the opinion I could care less  how well Smith plays in the preseason > he has his job , his focus is to win games that matter . Preseason to him is a warm up session .. try new things .. get the brain in shape . If hes not stretching that extra inch to make the highlight save I'm not too worried.

I will admit tho , to being a little worried about the backups. Rittich was left here to get the work, he knew he was competing .. he knew Gillies was a potential to take his job away .. and he played really 3 really good periods ..  not sure hes earned the right to just Flip the switch..

but .. that being said , its his to lose

not gonna lie tho , the prospect of swapping him out for McIlheney is intriguing .. except for the fact it woudl likely mean Parsons goes back to the E.. which isnt ideal now 

I will say this tho , if Smith goes down , Id think he has a pretty short leash to run the ship..      

That being said, my gut says he will do just fine 

52 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I could get behind a claim of either, although I don't think it happens only because of the logjam it would create in our crease.r 

If they go with another goalie instead of Rittich that is a pretty clear indicator he doesn't have a future with the Flames, especially with Gilles/Parsons in the system and Rittich with another year.  My guess is Rittich is loaned to another club, waived and then traded for future considerations, or they mutually agree to terminate the contract and Rittich goes to Europe. Maybe he is traded for another AHL goalie who can play in the ECHL (similar to the Kulak deal).  It is possible (though unlikely) that he is claimed.  

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

Both McElhinney and Pickard on waivers. I guess we will see how much faith Treliving has in Rittich. We will see if he makes a claim. 

True,

Personally I prefer the Flames take Pickard as a 35 year old McElhinney backing up 36 year old Smith doesn't make me feel really secure.

10 hours ago, MAC331 said:

THX for pointing that out Capt Obvious. Our back ups the ones we have need to play in order to know what we have in them and not be judge by last season behind a messed up team. How do you find the next Kipper if you don't give players the chance ?

That is the ceux of the issue.  The Flames can't afford to lose a few games trying out unproven goalies.  They need to make the playoffs, and in order to do so they need good goaltending.  There is no wiggle room to develop goalies at the NHL level this year.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, kehatch said:

If they go with another goalie instead of Rittich that is a pretty clear indicator he doesn't have a future with the Flames, especially with Gilles/Parsons in the system and Rittich with another year.  My guess is Rittich is loaned to another club, waived and then traded for future considerations, or they mutually agree to terminate the contract and Rittich goes to Europe. Maybe he is traded for another AHL goalie who can play in the ECHL (similar to the Kulak deal).  It is possible (though unlikely) that he is claimed.  

Completely agree.

Also I seem to remember an article last season about Rittich shortly after his call up, he said something along the lines of (not an exact quote by any means) “what am I doing here, so far from home.” When asked about starting last season in Stockton. I would imagine he would want to go back home if he was sent to the minors this season

2 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

That is the ceux of the issue.  The Flames can't afford to lose a few games trying out unproven goalies.  They need to make the playoffs, and in order to do so they need good goaltending.  There is no wiggle room to develop goalies at the NHL level this year.  

Good for you thx for your thoughts I happen to disagree with everything you said here.

1 hour ago, The_Snowbear said:

do you need to Cause Friction with every user on the forums Mac Seems that is all you like doing here or that is your intention

Yes that is my whole purpose for being here, disagreeing with others that think other people are not up for the challenge to improve upon the last season and their lives this season. I like to challenge amateur opinions from some who claim they "just" know certain players are not good enough yet or for their team. I like to challenge posters that think a back up like Pickard or McElhinney will save us all the way to a SC should Smith go down with injury. I like to challenge people that think Backlund is nothing more than a defensive forward. More than anything I like to see the players we have challenged to succeed and not pushed back when I think they are ready to show they can take up the challenge.

Disagreeing with People and Just outright Causing Friction Are 2 entirely different thing people disagree all the but that is all you do you never never can agree on anything that is ever said point being always Causing Friction... There is a Time when it is ok To dispute but there also a time when you back Off and say Hey i have said my Peice iam Finished Not Let it Drag on 30 years because your to Stubborn To Back Down

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

McBackup claimed by Carolina and Pickard claimed by PHI.

Toronto took a big gamble and will have to hope their guy can take the reins.

Is one of Elliott or Neuvirth injured? Or would they be available in trade? Neuvirth would be a very solid backup.

38 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Is one of Elliott or Neuvirth injured? Or would they be available in trade? Neuvirth would be a very solid backup.

"Neuvirth is injured again, with a lower body injury that, when we last saw him skate from the ice, seemed groin related. And it's because Lyon too also came up with a lower body injury at an inopportune time for both him and his career."

Once they get him back, they just return him to the Leafs, assuming he hasn't solidified his spot.  They also have Lton and Stolarz.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Okay guys, let's get back to discussion.  Opinions are great, and none are any less valid.

We all support the same team.

Goalies are voodoo.

I say that BT target a real #1 goalie. Bobrovsky's name keeps coming up. Man, if we were to get a solid goaltender, we could be contenders IMO.

17 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I say that BT target a real #1 goalie. Bobrovsky's name keeps coming up. Man, if we were to get a solid goaltender, we could be contenders IMO.

We have a solid goaltender, his name is Mike Smith. A few posters on here think the world is falling in on MS, but it isn't.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

We have a solid goaltender, his name is Mike Smith. A few posters on here think the world is falling in on MS, but it isn't.

That's good and well and I agree. If he would stop overplaying the puck, everything would be cool.

There's a difference between confident and arrogant.

Smith playing dman should be a shock move, not the norm that it is.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

McBackup claimed by Carolina and Pickard claimed by PHI.

Toronto took a big gamble and will have to hope their guy can take the reins.

I am curious how the Leafs got themselves into that situation.   It surprises me that they couldn't have traded one or both of those guys for a draft pick or two this summer.  Maybe they simply didn't care.

Luckily we already have two potential backups who are ready to improve upon their lives.  I hope that after reading a few self help books they will be leading the Flames victory lap after game seven of the Stanley Cup finals.  

On 10/1/2018 at 5:16 PM, kehatch said:

they were both claimed today

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

That's good and well and I agree. If he would stop overplaying the puck, everything would be cool.

I think we've both been saying the same things for some time.

Let the D move the puck.  

I get mad when I see him play the puck out an  it comes back in within about 10 seconds.

If I wanted that, I would have been suggesting keeping Bart-man for those 75 foot passes to nobody along the glass.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

There were times last year when I thought MS handled the puck too much because it got me out of my seat.  I would consider him "confident", because he does it well, maybe the best in the game. Not many coaches would complain about having an extra dman back there to help defend while giving you options with the transition game.  Coaches like options.   

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think we've both been saying the same things for some time.

Let the D move the puck.  

I get mad when I see him play the puck out an  it comes back in within about 10 seconds.

If I wanted that, I would have been suggesting keeping Bart-man for those 75 foot passes to nobody along the glass.

Don't remember you complaining last year when Smith was the team MVP before going down to injury with a 23-16-6 record, 2.51 GAA, and a 0.921 SA%. Maybe watch MS over the next few games to get the story straight in your head again, your memory seems to have gotten foggy.

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

There were times last year when I thought MS handled the puck too much because it got me out of my seat.  I would consider him "confident", because he does it well, maybe the best in the game. Not many coaches would complain about having an extra dman back there to help defend while giving you options with the transition game.  Coaches like options.   

Don't remember you complaining last year when Smith was the team MVP before going down to injury with a 23-16-6 record, 2.51 GAA, and a 0.921 SA%. Maybe watch MS over the next few games to get the story straight in your head again, your memory seems to have gotten foggy.

i think something we aren’t thinking about is the idea that MS might’ve been a bit injured before the supposed injury. We don’t really know. Everyone plays through little / small nagging injuries. Maybe he wasn’t. But many criticized his numbers the week or two leading up to the injury.

7 hours ago, CheersMan said:

I know you don't want to admit he has any faults.  You fail to recognize any connection between his playing with the puck and scoring.  It's so much fun to watch him freeze the puck behind the net against a forward.  Love those clearing shot along the glass.  Doesn't he have 2D and 3F to work with?  Why exactly does he have to do anything other than track and stop the puck when it's shot behind the net.  

Perhaps you need to watch what happens after Smith doesn't just leave the puck to the defense.  Not just the immediate impact of him clearing the zone.  He wants to make a pass to the D-man?  No problem.  He wants to fire the puck along the boards?  We had Bart-man that could do that.