s4xon

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Elliott so far these playoffs has a 3.67 GAA and a .887 save %, pretty hard to win when your goalie is putting up numbers like that.

I haven't been sold on Elliott all season and I don't think he should be brought back. There are better, younger goalies out there.

Elliott has to go.  We werent even asking him to steal us a game.  Just asking him to make routine saves.

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Elliott has to go.  We werent even asking him to steal us a game.  Just asking him to make routine saves.

Subtract the Bouma deflection in game 2, the deflection by Bennett/Perry, the high stick, and the bounce off Stone's butt.  Does that change anything?  Two bad goals in each of two games, where we scored 2 and 4 respectively.

Saying that, I don't what they do about goaltending come the summer.  Signing Elliott will cost them a 3rd.  Bishop will cost north of $6m for years to come.  Some younger guys out there that we would need to trade for prior to the Expansion draft, just to get them for a reasonable price.  Are we likely to find a gem like Talbot or Jones?  CJ is not the answer.  

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Some younger guys out there that we would need to trade for prior to the Expansion draft, just to get them for a reasonable price.  Are we likely to find a gem like Talbot or Jones?  CJ is not the answer.  

How do we know CJ is not the answer?. You tell him he is #1 next year and play him 60+ games next year he could very well be the next Talbot or Jones or Anderson.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Subtract the Bouma deflection in game 2, the deflection by Bennett/Perry, the high stick, and the bounce off Stone's butt.  Does that change anything?  Two bad goals in each of two games, where we scored 2 and 4 respectively.

It wouldn't change the fact that Elliot was not very good in Games 2 and 3. He was good in Game 1 but I thought the first 2 in Game 2 were soft/weak and the first two last night were as well. You can give him the benefit of the doubt in certain cases but I think at a minimum he's let in 3 weak goals in the last 2 games. You are not going to win many playoff series with your goalie doing that. 

Lots has gone wrong for the Flames in this series no question, but unfortunately Elliott is on that list too. Not giving you the goaltending you want. 

Flames are 2nd last in 5 on 5  Save %, but yet are bottom 5 in shots against, scoring chances against and high danger scoring chances against. They are dead last in Save % in the playoffs. Going to be very difficult to argue that Elliott has given the Flames good enough goal tending in this series. 

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Saying that, I don't what they do about goaltending come the summer.  Signing Elliott will cost them a 3rd.  Bishop will cost north of $6m for years to come.  Some younger guys out there that we would need to trade for prior to the Expansion draft, just to get them for a reasonable price.  Are we likely to find a gem like Talbot or Jones?  CJ is not the answer.  

For me the OT goal last night was a horrible goal by Elliott. He totally misplayed the original shot. It should have been covered or directed into the corner, kicking out a rebound to the front of the net was the worst thing he could have done in that situation.

There has been a lot of talk that Scott Darling might be the next Talbot. I would take a chance on him before I go back to Elliott, but I think there are still better options out there.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

For me the OT goal last night was a horrible goal by Elliott. He totally misplayed the original shot. It should have been covered or directed into the corner, kicking out a rebound to the front of the net was the worst thing he could have done in that situation.

There has been a lot of talk that Scott Darling might be the next Talbot. I would take a chance on him before I go back to Elliott, but I think there are still better options out there.

Well the position will be wide open for two goaltenders in the offseason. I think the Flames will need to figure out how much the want to spend on goaltending only because we have some skaters that are going to require serious money in the next few years.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Bishop reportedly wanted $7-mil on long term.  I'm guessing that means 5 years at least.  I'm not sold we should go that route unless Gillies busts.  Gillies, if he pans out, wouldn't cost $7-mil for another 5 years.

Plus it was speculated the Flames were on Bishop's no trade list earlier this season.

He himself stated that the numbers being reported were not close to being accurate .. he basically thought he was packing is bags for Calgary then heard we had picked up Elliot , even he doesn't know why it went south 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

It wouldn't change the fact that Elliot was not very good in Games 2 and 3. He was good in Game 1 but I thought the first 2 in Game 2 were soft/weak and the first two last night were as well. You can give him the benefit of the doubt in certain cases but I think at a minimum he's let in 3 weak goals in the last 2 games. You are not going to win many playoff series with your goalie doing that. 

Lots has gone wrong for the Flames in this series no question, but unfortunately Elliott is on that list too. Not giving you the goaltending you want. 

Flames are 2nd last in 5 on 5  Save %, but yet are bottom 5 in shots against, scoring chances against and high danger scoring chances against. They are dead last in Save % in the playoffs. Going to be very difficult to argue that Elliott has given the Flames good enough goal tending in this series. 

Game 2 - 2 bad ones, 3 scored in total.

Game 3 - 2 bad ones, 5 in total.

I think we both agree that he can't continue to do that in the playoffs, but I also don't think he was the reason we lost.  4/8 goals in two games were bad bounces or deflections.  Maybe Talbot or Bernier stops them, or maybe not.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

When was the last time CJ has looked good?  Feb.24th against the Panthers?  Two games earlier against the Pengies?

Perhaps they should look past goaltending for the answer.

I think you go with your best option at this stage and this is Elliott. I agree that some have to quit blaming the goalie for every loss. I was watching hockey highlights on Sportsnet this morning and there are a lot of groaner goals happening to "top goalies" claimed to be better than our Elliott. We need a full team effort to turn this around.

Elliott has had his chance and he has blew big time. His weak goals have cost us two of three games.

I am actually leaning towards Gillies at this point, but it has to be anyone but Elliott, what's Brent Krahn doing today?

19 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Elliott has had his chance and he has blew big time. His weak goals have cost us two of three games.

I am actually leaning towards Gillies at this point, but it has to be anyone but Elliott, what's Brent Krahn doing today?

Maybe they should sit Bouma and Stajan.  After all, Bouma took the penalty that caused the GWG in game 1.  He deflected the GWG in game 2.  Perhaps they should sit Dougie.  His 3 penalty performance set up the loss in game 1.  Or JH for not shooting point blank in two games.

(sarcasm off)

I like Gillies, but he is getting ready for the AHL playoffs.  He will get the majority of starts, if not all.  Why put him in a situation where he would be trashed by fans for being garbage after a loss.  The team has made far more mistakes than Elliott did.  

EDIT - Funny, but Gillies is working a little extra with the Flames goalie coach.  That is weird, considering I thought he was with the Heat, not in Calgary.  Maybe they are getting him ready to face the Ducks in Anaheim.  That would be something they wouldn't expect.

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe they should sit Bouma and Stajan.  After all, Bouma took the penalty that caused the GWG in game 1.  He deflected the GWG in game 2.  Perhaps they should sit Dougie.  His 3 penalty performance set up the loss in game 1.  Or JH for not shooting point blank in two games.

(sarcasm off)

I like Gillies, but he is getting ready for the AHL playoffs.  He will get the majority of starts, if not all.  Why put him in a situation where he would be trashed by fans for being garbage after a loss.  The team has made far more mistakes than Elliott did.  

EDIT - Funny, but Gillies is working a little extra with the Flames goalie coach.  That is weird, considering I thought he was with the Heat, not in Calgary.  Maybe they are getting him ready to face the Ducks in Anaheim.  That would be something they wouldn't expect.

At this point what else do we have to lose? Let's see if Gillies has some Matt Murray in him.

Elliott let in two stinkers in game two, I am not going to blame him for the GWG in game two, but he clearly wasn't tracking the puck on that goal which was a bit concerning to me. The second goal in game three was bad, he was out of position for the third goal regardless if it was a high stick or not, the OT goal was flat out terrible, he just can't direct that towards the slot. That is  way too many questionable goals, especially in the playoffs.

I'm not happy with Elliott either but at this point I think there is zero doubt who gives you the best chance to come back in this series and that is Elliott, no question.

The only reason you start Johnson is to hope he catches what he did in November. I like the odds of Elliott having a bounce back game more than I like the odds of Johnson going on a tear. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

At this point what else do we have to lose? Let's see if Gillies has some Matt Murray in him.

Elliott let in two stinkers in game two, I am not going to blame him for the GWG in game two, but he clearly wasn't tracking the puck on that goal which was a bit concerning to me. The second goal in game three was bad, he was out of position for the third goal regardless if it was a high stick or not, the OT goal was flat out terrible, he just can't direct that towards the slot. That is  way too many questionable goals, especially in the playoffs.

I am not a soothsayer, but I find it funny that Gully decided to sit Bouma and Stajan.  I like the energy of Lazar and Freddie.  It's not like the 4th line will be that meaningful, but I do like the pressure that they can bring.  I think it's less on Stajan, but the two have been invisible mostly.  Bouma has lost a step and Stajan is getting run over every shift.  

As for Gillies, I think they are just taking advantage of the break and getting him into some Flames-led practices.  

One of Elliott's biggest problems this year has been between the ears when he doesn't get any action. He looked bad last night because he didn't see enough pucks. 

We we need someone who can play in all situations. I get it's tough when you're not warm, but come on, just make some saves!