s4xon

36 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Let's see how things are 10 games in.

We agree here. Drawing any conclusions based on this limited of a sample size doesn't provide an argument for or against.

I just don't understand what argument you are trying to make when you talk about all those games, 10 years etc etc and i jsut found it tough to follow what you were saying. That's why I don't understand and found your post too challenging to repond to that's all, I didn't mean to suggest it was a poor post or a poor argument I just found it tough to respond to

. Agree to disagree, and let's see how the rest of the season goes which will provide more discussion points i'm sure. 

At the end of the day, we are both in agreement that the team needs to play better irregardless of who it is that is in the net. I won't fight you on that point becuase I agree the team play needs to get better. I am however, optimistic that it is heading in the right direction under Gulutzan. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Pretty simple, he isn't playing very well.

Not his fault by any means, but to say he isn't part of the problem isn't correct either. Early in the season you are going to have issues and you need your goalie to be there, Elliott hasn't been. 

I get what you're saying, and to some extent agree with you.  But you can't expect anyone - forward, defense or goalie - to be in mid-season form the first couple weeks.  There's going to be rust....and we are giving up way too many incredible chances right now.  Maybe after he finds his groove he stops more of those, but right now those are some very difficult saves to make.  We can't fault the guy for not making highlight reel saves numerous times a night...or period for that matter.  You shouldn't be at a point where you need your goalie to bail you out numerous times every period for lapses in judgement or poor play with the team in front of him.  The problem is the team in front of him have given up such Grade A chances.  You look at a lot of the goals, they are odd man rushes, break-aways, penalty shots, tip ins, deflections off our own players....yes Elliot hasn't stolen any games for us, and among the grade A chances he's faced he's also let in a few softies, and that's on him, but I'm more worried about the players in front of our goalies than the goaltenders themselves.

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Or we could make DL very happy & prorate the season. Canucks go 82-0. :lol:

:wacko:

************************************************************************************

Yes please!

Quick.. do it before our Cali trip.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

It is getting pretty annoying that you cannot have a disucssion about goaltending on this boards. As soon as you criticize the goaltending everyone assumes that means you are letting the players off the hook.

Stop being a homer then.

It's okay Brouwer totally fumbles an easy puck turnover in the O zone, Carolina comes back with speed, Jokipakka's only 4 feet from his goalie, Teravainan (ie not Stajan) gets behind him for a pass AND a couple of whacks, and that's Elliot's fault?

That was YOUR example of one he should've had and he was etc, etc.

Listen to Loubourdias much?

Great. Sink with him.

Was Hartley fired, in part, because of his handling of Bennett?

Isn't looking so bad so far...

When we said that we need to change goaltending, my argument was always that we need to play better as a team otherwise it doesn't matter what goalies we get. 

Johnson played well, sure, but he almost didn't get those points in both games. The Canucks game was probably the best played so far? But still was one we could've lost outright without a point. 

We cant win if the team doesnt play well, I don't care how great your goalie is, even Roy let in how many in a game for Montreal? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

When we said that we need to change goaltending, my argument was always that we need to play better as a team otherwise it doesn't matter what goalies we get. 

Johnson played well, sure, but he almost didn't get those points in both games. The Canucks game was probably the best played so far? But still was one we could've lost outright without a point. 

We cant win if the team doesnt play well, I don't care how great your goalie is, even Roy let in how many in a game for Montreal? 

Elliott has a long enough track record in the NHL to know this will not continue the wrong way. The team IMO is on an extended camp situation until they settle in on their lines and pairings to effectively learn and play these new systems. Way to much over-thinking going on out on the ice.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Stop being a homer then.

It's okay Brouwer totally fumbles an easy puck turnover in the O zone, Carolina comes back with speed, Jokipakka's only 4 feet from his goalie, Teravainan (ie not Stajan) gets behind him for a pass AND a couple of whacks, and that's Elliot's fault?

That was YOUR example of one he should've had and he was etc, etc.

Listen to Loubourdias much?

Great. Sink with him.

Was Hartley fired, in part, because of his handling of Bennett?

Isn't looking so bad so far...

So I question both the goaltending and defence but everyone else wants to give Elliott a pass and I'm the homer?

interesting...

• Like 1

While I'm not giving Elliot a free pass by any means, because he for sure is not in his Playoff form at the moment .. I find it interesting that 2 goaltenders, who came out of a Great D system  (Andersen and Elliot) are suddenly "not up to form"  but yet our best goaltender in this small sample size is the one who still played well in a situation where he got shellacked every night (Buffalo)

Basically we are again facing the post Kipper reality, the one that says even when we thought he was no longer very good, he was obviously very very good.

Until we get a handle on this new system , unfortunately Goaltender is going to have to bail us out or we lose.. once we hit the point where win even when they take a night off, thats when we will be contenders

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

So I question both the goaltending and defence but everyone else wants to give Elliott a pass and I'm the homer?

interesting...

Cross, I just take issue that any of the Carolina goals he, "should have had".

Your example of the Teravainen goal?? How in boarding does any NHLer not score that one with a couple of whacks at it, right on top of X Goalie?

He played it poorly in super-slo-mo, maybe. But damn. Call him out with that example?

And a breakaway?

I ain't buying. I saw a superb goalie in preseason, I'm sure you did too.

Last guy I'd blame.

Look at our forward roster.

Not good enough.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

That should have been the #1 goal right from the start of the rebuild. 

It obviously wasn't, and we have a lot of catching up to do.

nope, it was pretty much Kipper or bust  at that time.. even i said all along we played him way too much .. 

all i can say with certainty at the moment is that Elliot's contract extension talks are on hold :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

nope, it was pretty much Kipper or bust  at that time.. even i said all along we played him way too much .. 

all i can say with certainty at the moment is that Elliot's contract extension talks are on hold :)

And it's probably fair to say Hartley had what he had in net. Hiller did work for a year, but the position was in turmoil during his tenure.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

And it's probably fair to say Hartley had what he had in net. Hiller did work for a year, but the position was in turmoil during his tenure.

actually things could be about to get interesting.. with #1 goalies dropping like flies, i fully Expect someone to sign Ramo soon.. wont surprise me if he carries somebody , and all we will hear is "why didnt he play like that for us "  LOL

• Like 2

I don't understand why we didn't go with Chad Johnson against the Canes.  Then, win or lose, we play Elliott against his former team, the Blues.  I'm sure that's one game he would be fired up to play.  Now since he lost to the Canes, we have no choice but to go with Johnson and I'm sure Elliott is totally bummed out.

On 15/10/2016 at 2:24 PM, travel_dude said:
4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't understand why we didn't go with Chad Johnson against the Canes.  Then, win or lose, we play Elliott against his former team, the Blues.  I'm sure that's one game he would be fired up to play.  Now since he lost to the Canes, we have no choice but to go with Johnson and I'm sure Elliott is totally bummed out.

I don't understand why we do Anything with goalies lol.

ON A RARE POSITIVE NOTE from me on this lol...   Gillies is Killing it in the AHL.

Back to the complaints....this further confounds the issues of why we signed 3 billion other goalies to play with him down there.

IMHO, he could be up here much sooner than we all think.  But if we can't get our act together with defence, it won't be enough.

24 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

ON A RARE POSITIVE NOTE from me on this lol...   Gillies is Killing it in the AHL.

Back to the complaints....this further confounds the issues of why we signed 3 billion other goalies to play with him down there.

IMHO, he could be up here much sooner than we all think.  But if we can't get our act together with defence, it won't be enough.

Pretty much all of your thoughts here I thought were general understandings on your views?

This is just reiteration. lol

33 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Pretty sure the plan since last season was we needed a stop gap until Jon Gillies is NHL ready.  It's too bad Gillies missed basically all last season on rehab.  Otherwise, he might've already been here now.

They were talking contract extension with Elliott but i hope that doesn't happen at this point.  I'd rather run with Gillies and Johnson next season if we had to.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Pretty sure the plan since last season was we needed a stop gap until Jon Gillies is NHL ready.  It's too bad Gillies missed basically all last season on rehab.  Otherwise, he might've already been here now.

They were talking contract extension with Elliott but i hope that doesn't happen at this point.  I'd rather run with Gillies and Johnson next season if we had to.

A little early for any of that talk.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I don't want to run with Gillies until the team improves the overall team game. It could ruin his confidence if he gets shellacked like we do now. 

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

A little early for any of that talk.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don't want to run with Gillies until the team improves the overall team game. It could ruin his confidence if he gets shellacked like we do now. 

Well ya, i'm talking next season.  We may as well ruin Elliott this year and keep Gillies as far away from this year's team as possible.