s4xon

Ortio did play well, hopefully Hartley gives him another consecutive start. He played as well as J.Quick last night, not starting the parade yet but Ortio might be worth keeping around

He's definitely worth a run to help decide if he's worth keeping around. Alas, Hartley is apparently undecided. "Always earned, never given" is the mantra, and Hiller has earned his spot on the bench. We have no goalies signed next season. Signing Hiller cannot be a serious consideration. Ramo will not necessarily be ready for puck drop. We need to give Ortio a good run of games and decide whether he can stick in the NHL next year. Or maybe that decision has already been made.

Fair call....  I will edit to "many" ;)   (keep in mind there's several pages of Hiller bashing.  And...from the fall, several pages of Ramo bashing / Hiller cheering)

sorry

No big deal...   I think that unless Ortio has a meltdown (possible) and Hiller gets another shot and really puts a good string together (not likely), Hiller's time in the NHL could be at an end...   I could be wrong, just don't see the Flames, or any other team giving him a contract at 34 years old with his record...   He might be better off trying to get a KHL contract for another season or two...

Hiller's blocker style doesn't do him any favors, and he could/should have made an effort to alter it to maybe more of a hybrid over the last few seasons in my opinion...   But sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks...

All things considered, Ortio did quite well last night posting a .946 SV%, let's hope he can keep it up...   He should now be given a string of games to see if he  can consistently play like he did last night...    Wouldn't that be something if he could take the opportunity, tighten up the rebounds, and turn it up a notch... 

I have limited expectations, but he best case scenario would be, If he can deliver, and he manages to earn another contract, then that could potentially solve part of the Flames goal tending puzzle for next season...   Right now it's a puzzle with pieces missing from the box...

• Like 1

No big deal...   I think that unless Ortio has a meltdown (possible) and Hiller gets another shot and really puts a good string together (not likely), Hiller's time in the NHL could be at an end...   I could be wrong, just don't see the Flames, or any other team giving him a contract at 34 years old with his record...   He might be better off trying to get a KHL contract for another season or two...

Hiller's blocker style doesn't do him any favors, and he could/should have made an effort to alter it to maybe more of a hybrid over the last few seasons in my opinion...   But sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks...

All things considered, Ortio did quite well last night posting a .946 SV%, let's hope he can keep it up...   He should now be given a string of games to see if he  can consistently play like he did last night...    Wouldn't that be something if he could take the opportunity, tighten up the rebounds, and turn it up a notch... 

I have limited expectations, but he best case scenario would be, If he can deliver, and he manages to earn another contract, then that could potentially solve part of the Flames goal tending puzzle for next season...   Right now it's a puzzle with pieces missing from the box...

Right now, it's just an empty box!

Agree pretty much, except that I saw last night that Ortio's rebound control was very, very good.

Agree pretty much, except that I saw last night that Ortio's rebound control was very, very good.

have to disagree a bit there.. he definitely played VERY well, but there a few times he kicked out long rebounds, or if he had received a second shot he was hooped.. but that was my only criticism of him last night 

I think hes definitely earned himself a run like the other 2 got

have to disagree a bit there.. he definitely played VERY well, but there a few times he kicked out long rebounds, or if he had received a second shot he was hooped.. but that was my only criticism of him last night 

Long rebounds or rebounds to the slot.  Which is more dangerous.  With Hiller it's either block everything backed into your net or catch it with the whirlwind glove.  I prefer an active glove.  As for the long rebounds, that is where the team has to become more aware of his style.  Know where to be.

I agree, he played very well, but there were a lot juicy rebounds being kicked out into the slot. Hopefully that is just a result from being a bit rusty and he can clean it up for the next game. I would hope that he gets the next start.

Hartley sounded quite appreciative of Ortio's play last night.

Last night I didn't notice Ortio's tendency to go down on a windup for a shot. That made him very vulnerable top shelf. It was something that bothered me a lot, which made him make awkward saves.

I liked his game last night too.

Ortio had a very good game. The two goals that went in he had no chance on, and you can't fault him for that. 

The going down for a windup shot is an issue, but that's a tendency that can probably be fixed by the goalie coach.

He's earned another game (or few). The only concern is that in the AHL this year he had a great game or two then a horrible game or two. 

If that's what he does in the NHL we have a problem. But if he can be consistently good, or even consistently league average, he's worth signing for next year as a 1A/1B with Ramo or someone we get in free agency. 

Hiller in my opinion should probably ride out the year on the pine unless he's needed for relief, and then head into retirement. After this year, I'd be amazed if he got a contract with any team in the league. 

Howard is going to be hungry for a job, but I can see St Loo taking him, with Elliot on LTIR.

Could also see Babcock taking him, giving the Wings the best deal if Babcock does want him.

I wouldn't be out of the conversation if I'm the Flames.

At least target a decent backup goalie at TDL, I don't mean Howard at that salary.

That's certainly an option no one has suggested yet.

Who might we target?

Hopefully an actual prospect under 21, rather than vets who are "the best goalie not in the NHL"

Thomas Lillie, Denis Godla, Alexandar Georgiyev, Dozens of other goalies who would have been drafted in a do-over.

They're such voodoo, it's extremely feasible to get free-agent prospects worth the investment.

Hopefully an actual prospect under 21, rather than vets who are "the best goalie not in the NHL"

Thomas Lillie, Denis Godla, Alexandar Georgiyev, Dozens of other goalies who would have been drafted in a do-over.

They're such voodoo, it's extremely feasible to get free-agent prospects worth the investment.

I've heard something of Godla, the others, not.  Also, not sure what we need is another <21 prospect, as we have a bunch of those already.

All well and good, but are they on a development curve that brings them to the NHL any sooner than Gillies or MacDonald?  If it a free signing, then sure, add them to the list.  Saves a draft pick in 2016 or 2017.  

Those three in particular a pretty small for the NHL.

One quick search one guy I found is Dominik Furch. He is 25 has a .940 save % (according to eliteprospects.com, but their save % is always wrong). Currently playing in the KHL where almost every goalie has good stats.

I also don't agree with the idea of brining in more goalies in the low 20s right now unless they are a clear upgrade to Gilles or Macondald and IMO none of those are. You only have so many spots for guys to play and you need Gilles and Macdonald to play alot and they will ahve Schneider in a couple more seasons. There is enough depth for the Flames to choose from and there is definetly a risk of having too many goalie. I'd rather see them go with a later round pick int he next draft or two and stagger the development then waste a contract and bring in a FA who still needs development time. 

All well and good, but are they on a development curve that brings them to the NHL any sooner than Gillies or MacDonald?  If it a free signing, then sure, add them to the list.  Saves a draft pick in 2016 or 2017.  

IMHO, we need players younger than Gillies.  MacDonald is a bit of a crap shoot at best at this point.  He's struggled to find the next level.

Gillies is more ready than many of us think, imho.   And so is Ortio.   For the NHL. 

The last thing we need is to bring in new ways to slow their development.

Good to see that Ortio gets the start tonight...   He earned it...

Show us what you got Joni...

cb128e96e192a225db6c2e013ee5d2ef.png

The contrast of "we need to bring in a young goalie" to "Ortio is starting tonight".....

is becoming more apparent on this thread...

finally..

I also don't agree with the idea of brining in more goalies in the low 20s right now unless they are a clear upgrade to Gilles or Macondald

You didn't agree with that several years ago either, when we brought in Hiller, Ramo, etc., and I wanted us to build up our prospect pipeline more.

Now you want to pay Way more for some of those same goalies you didn't want (meanwhile the ones that Really turned out...we can't even afford),

And you still don't agree with working on our pipeline...

The only kind of veteran worth getting is one that can win a Stanley cup.

We can't afford any of those...I'll say it right now.

But we can easily afford to sign 3-5 prospects. 

You raise a good point about the spots.   We can only afford to have one in the AHL, really.  But we can have unlimited goalies in US College, and Europe, and Junior.   Most of the goalies suggested have places to develop in already (ie., SM Liiga, etc).

also,

If Ortio and Gillies turn out, we could be needing another young AHL prospect as early as next year.

And, if they really don't turn out....  same thing.

Long story short:    The NHL pairing of Gillies and Ortio may be closer than we think.

When thinking of future moves, we should be thinking of that.

Those three in particular a pretty small for the NHL.

One quick search one guy I found is Dominik Furch. He is 25 has a .940 save % (according to eliteprospects.com, but their save % is always wrong). Currently playing in the KHL where almost every goalie has good stats.

Godla's small, the other two are 6 feet.  That's just fine, imho.  Only slightly below average.  That doesn't make them below average goalies.  

Some of these guys would be first round draft picks if they were a couple inches taller.  Yet, we have many living examples in the NHL that show they can have just as much success, without being "prototypical".  "Prototypical" is nice, when you have a top 10 pick.  The rest of the time, it's expensive, and wasteful.

I listed goalies by performance, and age.  Such a bad thing, are we absolutely sure?  These guys are out-performing everyone else in their draft class, for the most part.

Sure, the NHL has veered towards taller goalies.

But does that make them better?  A lot of goaltending comes down to whether opportunities are given.

Tim Thomas did ok.  Once he was finally given a chance.

Jonas Enroth (5'10) has the 7th best save percentage in the NHL, but he's stuck in a backup role.  Should he be?

Jaroslav Halak, Khubodin, Tokarski,

I dunno, Gaudreau's kinda smallish took, but he worked out.   There may be some missed opportunities in the smaller goalie prospect pool.

You didn't agree with that several years ago either, when we brought in Hiller, Ramo, etc., and I wanted us to build up our prospect pipeline more.

Now you want to pay Way more for some of those same goalies you didn't want (meanwhile the ones that Really turned out...we can't even afford),

And you still don't agree with working on our pipeline...

The only kind of veteran worth getting is one that can win a Stanley cup.

We can't afford any of those...I'll say it right now.

But we can easily afford to sign 3-5 prospects. 

You raise a good point about the spots.   We can only afford to have one in the AHL, really.  But we can have unlimited goalies in US College, and Europe, and Junior.   Most of the goalies suggested have places to develop in already (ie., SM Liiga, etc).

also,

If Ortio and Gillies turn out, we could be needing another young AHL prospect as early as next year.

And, if they really don't turn out....  same thing.

Long story short:    The NHL pairing of Gillies and Ortio may be closer than we think.

When thinking of future moves, we should be thinking of that.

Please do list all of these goalies I was not for acquiring that went on to bigger and better things....

Plus maybe you also missed the part of my post where I said that I actually want the Flames to draft a goalie in the next season or two so that they may have another prospect in the pipeline. I've said before, IMO you should be drafting/acquiring a goalie at least every 2 drafts to keep that pipeline flowing. 

I'm confused by what you are getting at here. Are you suggesting we sign Godla as a prospect and then leave him over in Europe to develop? First of all, he is under contract so the only time you could negotiate with him is the offseason, not mid season, when he doens't have a contract and even if you did he would have to agree to be loaned back overseas if he didn't make the team. If he doesn't, then you have to find a spot for him in NA, so logistically its not going to work to sign 3-5 more goalie prospects all over the world plus you then have 3-5 contract spots wasted becuase even if they are loaned to Europe they count as one of your contracts.

If it were as easy as signing someone just to have their rights while they played in Europe, then for sure, but it isn't.