s4xon

Just to clarify it is an AAV of $1.35mill for Hammond.

Hammond is younger, but he has a smaller sample size compared to Ramo, but Hammond's stats through 25 games are unreal; 0.89 GAA and .975sv%.

With Ramo he is what he is, at 29 years old I don't think we will see much more progression in his game. I am OK if we sign him and I am OK if he walks, either way I see him as a short term solution so if we do sign him it better be to a short term deal.

My bad, should have looked closer. It was early this morning before my first coffee. LOL

With the way waivers work, should Ortio be claimed off of waivers, doesn't he have to be on the claiming team's roster? He can't be claimed and then sent to the minors right? If this is the case I would go with Ramo/Hiller again for 1 more year. Let Ortio dominate the A and make a push.

Then again he may make the team out of camp and then we could trade either Ramo or Hiller. My preference being Hiller.

With the way waivers work, should Ortio be claimed off of waivers, doesn't he have to be on the claiming team's roster? He can't be claimed and then sent to the minors right? If this is the case I would go with Ramo/Hiller again for 1 more year. Let Ortio dominate the A and make a push.

Then again he may make the team out of camp and then we could trade either Ramo or Hiller. My preference being Hiller.

That's correct. If a team claims a player on waivers before they could try and send that player down or trade them they have to be offered back to the original teams. Typically you only claim a player on waivers if you intend on him being on your active roster its not a good process for trying to stock talent which is why I agree that the odds of Ortio getting claimed are quite small because I can't see a team needing a goalie at that point in the season enough to put in a claim. Not very likely you go into a season with such an unsettled goalie situation so baring a big injury I just don't see a team needing a goalie bad enough.

That's correct. If a team claims a player on waivers before they could try and send that player down or trade them they have to be offered back to the original teams. Typically you only claim a player on waivers if you intend on him being on your active roster its not a good process for trying to stock talent which is why I agree that the odds of Ortio getting claimed are quite small because I can't see a team needing a goalie at that point in the season enough to put in a claim. Not very likely you go into a season with such an unsettled goalie situation so baring a big injury I just don't see a team needing a goalie bad enough.

Unless your Buffalo , and during your tank process you ended up with another team's 3rd stringer as your #1 guy :)

That happened to the Flames once. That other team's third string turned out to be okay.

Love.

Very true!

At the end of the day I have confidence things will be done right.

Ramo will either be signed, or not signed if what hes able to get UFA makes no sense to us

Ortio will either make, or not make the team out of camp based on his merit, not his contract

Ditto for Hiller..

The best possible tandem available to us will be in net:)

Wasnt that long ago it was Kipper or nothing, we've come a long way!

This isn't one of those cases where a team wants his rights for negotiation.

JBo was a different story, everyone was going to want him. Wideman, a little less, but they wanted him.

Ramo isn't a guy touted as a sure starter. He still has a lot to prove. Someone can wait to negotiate when he gets to UFA.

Does anyone think its possible Ramo might be looking for to much money and BT is just not interested in signing him at that cap hit?

Is it possible we see him go before the draft for a pick for the rights to negotiate early with him?

I believe in one of Ramo's exit interviews he said something to the effect that his priority is to stay in the NHL.

I think he recognizes his situation, goaltending jobs in the NHL are hard to come by and even harder to hold onto. There are a number of options on the UFA market. I have Niemi as the top UFA goalie, and then there a bunch of guys that are all pretty even with Ramo in that bunch with Neuvirth, Enroth, Greiss and a few others.

I think Ramo rather would sit closer to Niemi but above the others you mentioned.

Most of the non-playoff teams have net issues.

I'd think due diligence is monitoring the Ramo situation for those GMs.

I don't even have to scrape the very bottom teams.

The Avs and Dallas, Lehtonen and Varlamov, they HAVE to be considering options for durability in net.

Not having that this year killed them dead.

At the end of the day, I hope we treat our 1a & 1b in that light. Those teams missed the playoffs because goaltending plan b didn't work out.

I believe you have to pay our tandem equally, and I'd have no problem giving him 3 yr term.

If Hiller gets hurt and Ortio struggles, we're scrambling, big time.

I think Ramo rather would sit closer to Niemi but above the others you mentioned.

Most of the non-playoff teams have net issues.

I'd think due diligence is monitoring the Ramo situation for those GMs.

I don't even have to scrape the very bottom teams.

The Avs and Dallas, Lehtonen and Varlamov, they HAVE to be considering options for durability in net.

Not having that this year killed them dead.

At the end of the day, I hope we treat our 1a & 1b in that light. Those teams missed the playoffs because goaltending plan b didn't work out.

I believe you have to pay our tandem equally, and I'd have no problem giving him 3 yr term.

If Hiller gets hurt and Ortio struggles, we're scrambling, big time.

We can’t have 2 goalies each making 4.5, someone has to go.  We had an excellent completion between the two but neither goalie stood above the other.  They each played equally well and poorly at times.  Rather than letting Ramo hit UFA and losing an asset, BT could take advantage of the situation by trading Hiller and resigning Ramo.  Another two year deal would be ideal.  We still end up with only one of Hiller or Ramo but we bring in an addition piece with a Hiller trade.  With all things being equal I think we should go with the younger Ramo.

• Like 1

We can’t have 2 goalies each making 4.5, someone has to go.  We had an excellent completion between the two but neither goalie stood above the other.  They each played equally well and poorly at times.  Rather than letting Ramo hit UFA and losing an asset, BT could take advantage of the situation by trading Hiller and resigning Ramo.  Another two year deal would be ideal.  We still end up with only one of Hiller or Ramo but we bring in an addition piece with a Hiller trade.  With all things being equal I think we should go with the younger Ramo.

Well said.

I'm a little confused, not that it takes much these days lol, but teams can't offer contracts or extensions until July 1st right?

Well said.

I'm a little confused, not that it takes much these days lol, but teams can't offer contracts or extensions until July 1st right?

The Flames have until July 1 to pony up and try to get a deal done with Ramo.  If no deal can be made by then, he becomes a FA on July 1 and all teams will be able to negotiate with him at that point.

As far as I know you only can offer contract extensions during the last year of a contract. That is the reason why Gio can only be signed to an extension after July 1st, when the last year of his contract beginns.

This is a different situation.  Gio still has a year remaining on his deal.  My understanding is that the NHL allows teams to extend contracts up to 1 yr prior to expiring.  July 1 of this year is 1 year prior for Gio.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say Ramo could do 6M over three years. Although, he hasn't really had played enough games to be considered a starter. I am giving him the biased benefit of the doubt thinking he's worth a bit more than a back-up, but not a starter. Although, I admit, I don't know what back-ups are getting these days. 

That's 2M/year of course, just in case anyone thought I was giving him 6M/year. 

I'd say Ramo could do 6M over three years. Although, he hasn't really had played enough games to be considered a starter. I am giving him the biased benefit of the doubt thinking he's worth a bit more than a back-up, but not a starter. Although, I admit, I don't know what back-ups are getting these days. 

That's 2M/year of course, just in case anyone thought I was giving him 6M/year. 

Well, he already had a 2 year contract paying 2.6m and 2.9m as an NHL "rookie".  I can't see him signing for less as a backup, but the market will set his price.  We will see if the Flames hedge their bets and sign him with Ortio still recovering.  Injuries to Ramo and Ortio late in the season really messed up the starting/backup job for next year.  So did Hiller's underwhelming performances in the playoffs.

I think that Ramo's contract was a bring him to NA contract. He was a tad overpaid and unproven. But you're right, the market will determine what he is worth. 

He was signed to be a starter out of the KHL, where he was a starter.  He played 1a/1b minutes in two years.  His body of work is greater than most of the backups out there.  If he gets an offer, it will be for a starter job.

Ya, but what are backups paid? 

He definitely was not a starter. He started a lot of games, but he didn't get full time starter minutes. 

I am a Ramo fan and I prefer him over Hiller. 

I don't know what he's worth, I just think it's somewhere between an average starter and a back-up right now because that's what he played. 

He didn't earn a starter role. He was lights out, and then at times, not very good, and in between those games he was average. 

Ya, but what are backups paid? 

He definitely was not a starter. He started a lot of games, but he didn't get full time starter minutes. 

I am a Ramo fan and I prefer him over Hiller. 

I don't know what he's worth, I just think it's somewhere between an average starter and a back-up right now because that's what he played. 

He didn't earn a starter role. He was lights out, and then at times, not very good, and in between those games he was average. 

In 2013/14, he played 40 games.  That was with the Berra and MacDonald love-affair early that season.  40 games is pretty close to being considered a starter.

In 2014/15, he played 34 games, which was partly due to being injured twice. 

These are not typical backup numbers.