s4xon

I've enjoyed the very slow introduction of Ramo this year. I felt this should be an adjustment year rather than throwing him to the wolves.

It seems like he's getting better and more comfortable.

Perhaps next year we have Ramo and Ortio backing up. I get the "have to play Ortio in the A". But I feel it's time to advance him in a backup role and being around the big club.

Let's face it, he made Berra redundant and his progression has been outstanding.

I've enjoyed the very slow introduction of Ramo this year. I felt this should be an adjustment year rather than throwing him to the wolves.

It seems like he's getting better and more comfortable.

Perhaps next year we have Ramo and Ortio backing up. I get the "have to play Ortio in the A". But I feel it's time to advance him in a backup role and being around the big club.

Let's face it, he made Berra redundant and his progression has been outstanding.

But you risk a regression of both goalies by not playing them enough. Look at the debacle in Toronto…

How many games do you play them, split it? 45 games for one goalie and 37 for the other? I suppose there will be injuries. 

I wonder how Ortio will be once teams realize he leaves the upper part of the net pretty wide open? He's a bit of a smaller goalie when it comes to todays goaltenders. I guess it's something we will find out?

Ramo with the shutout last night! Love the way this guy plays!

Kipper-ish?

Kipper-esque?

Kippery?

Watching him play lately reminds me of the saves Kipper DIDN'T make.  He still has some work to do, but I think Ramo has progressed to the point of being the bonafide starter for next year.  Nobody told him we should be tanking for a better draft pick, though. 

Kipper-ish?

Kipper-esque?

Kippery?

Watching him play lately reminds me of the saves Kipper DIDN'T make.  He still has some work to do, but I think Ramo has progressed to the point of being the bonafide starter for next year.  Nobody told him we should be tanking for a better draft pick, though. 

A little early to compare him to Kipper.

We can hope lightning strikes twice & another team's cast-off becomes a great goalie for the Flaming C though.

I really had few expectations about our 'keepers going into the year. I was happy we hedged our bets by keeping Joey Mac.

I will say that the more I see of Ramo the more impressed I am.

Keep in mind we only have a small body of work to judge by but I do feel more confident about him now.

I try to be really careful in trumpetting goalies. Karlsson was the next big thing. So was Berra. Some are over the moon over Ortio from a small sample size.

But Ramo seems to be sustaining things. He has elite numbers since returning from injury. In fact, his stats for the entire season are very respectable.

He is definitely making a case to be the number one next season.

A little early to compare him to Kipper.

We can hope lightning strikes twice & another team's cast-off becomes a great goalie for the Flaming C though.

I really had few expectations about our 'keepers going into the year. I was happy we hedged our bets by keeping Joey Mac.

I will say that the more I see of Ramo the more impressed I am.

Keep in mind we only have a small body of work to judge by but I do feel more confident about him now.

Just being hopeful really.  Ramo does make some better saves than Kipper, but I am not suggesting he is the 2nd coming.  He is just making his case for being the starter.  He has stole some game recently, though.

Hartley has handled Ramo beautifully this year. He has allowed him to adapt to the NHL slowly but in a competitive environment. Every position on this team has been a competition, if you want it then you have to earn it! Ramo has earned that job and his teammates look relaxed and comfortable when he's in net. We need to look no further for our future #1 goaltender, Ramo is here and his backups are here as well. Thanks Jay!

But you risk a regression of both goalies by not playing them enough. Look at the debacle in Toronto…

How many games do you play them, split it? 45 games for one goalie and 37 for the other? I suppose there will be injuries. 

I wonder how Ortio will be once teams realize he leaves the upper part of the net pretty wide open? He's a bit of a smaller goalie when it comes to todays goaltenders. I guess it's something we will find out?

I can't argue that you might be right. I won't say Ortio should be the back up next year and can understand why you give him another year in the A.

An alternative is to use him in a backup role with the big club, not 1A/1B. Ortio started the year in the ECHL, we saw pretty quickly he didn't belong there. He's been stellar in the A.

It's a case of a goalie we underrated as a prospect perhaps, and he has proven himself this year to the point of making the JBo acquisition of Berra redundant. Ortio provided it to turn into a 2nd, yay.

Unless we intend on resigning JoeyMac, we need a backup. I just don't understand this fear we have of making our best prospect goalie a backup on the big club. A backup isn't exactly time off because of little playing time. He still has to be sharp and ready every night, while seeing the stellar goalies in the bigs every night and how they do it.

Give and take.

Is there a regression component? Sure. But I believe it's a case by case assessment, not an ever-present alarm as it can seems be treated too often.

His weaknesses are points worked on with the coaches, which looks to me like timing adjustments. Small is fine when you take away space properly. Kipper was small. Ortio is talented, just needs to stay aggressively at the top of his crease imo.

The Scneider comparison, not quite what I was going for, just trying to throw it out there for discussion. Van's pretty wayward with goalie's, I don't hope for that. Skilled goalie to push our starter, and there just in case.

Or Joey Mac is all I was thinking, who immediately gets leapt by Ortio should our starter falter or worse, is all I'm thinking.

Well, Ramo has played himself into the to 25 for GAA and SV% for the season.  Not bad at all considering the start, this is quite the accomplishment.  

Hope he picks up 2014/15 season where he ends 2013/14.

All and all, he's looking to be a fine replacement for Kipper.

Ortio named to 2013-14 AHL All-Rookie Team

CALGARY, AB -- Abbotsford Heat goaltender Joni Ortio has been named to the American Hockey League’s 2013-14 All-Rookie Team.

In his first full season of hockey in North America, Ortio has helped fuel Abbotsford’s return to the Calder Cup Playoffs after compiling a 24-8-0 record in 34 appearances. The 22-year-old’s 24 wins places him sixth overall among goaltenders while his 2.37 goals against average is eight-best. Ortio's .924 save percentage was also third overall among goalies.

Coaches, players and media in each of the league’s 30 member cities vote on the award. Previous goaltenders to receive the honour include current NHLers J.S Giguere, Cam Ward, Jaroslav Halak, Jimmy Howard and Eddie Lack.

Ortio also marked the 2013-14 campaign with his National Hockey League debut, posting a 4-4-0 record with a 2.51 goals against average and .891 save percentage in nine appearances.

The native of Turku, FIN was originally drafted by the Flames in the sixth round (No. 171) of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

The Scneider comparison, not quite what I was going for, just trying to throw it out there for discussion. Van's pretty wayward with goalie's, I don't hope for that. Skilled goalie to push our starter, and there just in case.

Or Joey Mac is all I was thinking, who immediately gets leapt by Ortio should our starter falter or worse, is all I'm thinking.

Oh I meant before the debacle. Lol

That was a mess.