s4xon

Any word yet on whether we're dealing with Ortio or JMac staying up?

My vote is definitely JMac as the backup, and it looks like others feel this way.  Strictly for more consistent and complete development for Ortio, including the Heat's playoff run.

However, I have this horrible feelling that they will call Ortio up and bench him for the rest of the year.  Which would suck, because what's the point of acquiring a 2nd round pick if you need to ruin the development of a top prospect to do it?  But I'll save my whining and bantering...until we know more.

I think that with the Ramo injury, Ortio is the guy for now with MacDonald as the back-up. 

Definitely sorry to see Berra go...but definitely feel vindicated that 2 of the greatest players to ever play the game thought highly enough of our"non nhl caliber goaltender" to cough up a high middle 2nd rounder for him, ..not bad for a over the hill european who doesnt deserve to be here eh?

Totally impressed with Ortio tonight...I agree with burke, if he plays he stays. Ramo#1, ortio getting every 4th start or so.just hope hartley doesnt start running jmac 5 in a row again though

• Like 1

Definitely sorry to see Berra go...but definitely feel vindicated that 2 of the greatest players to ever play the game thought highly enough of our"non nhl caliber goaltender" to cough up a high middle 2nd rounder for him, ..not bad for a over the hill european who doesnt deserve to be here eh?

Totally impressed with Ortio tonight...I agree with burke, if he plays he stays. Ramo#1, ortio getting every 4th start or so.just hope hartley doesnt start running jmac 5 in a row again though

Mikka Noronen once was traded for a 2nd round pick. Just saying.....

Agreed that ortio looked great. I'm most impressed with how poised and confident he looks in the net despite being a rookie. I never felt that same confidence with Berra back there.

I agree with Kehatch. He looked solid with good positioning in his first 2 games. Actually I think he deserved a shut out last night.

If he falters, give him a game to make it up, if not then send him down again. I'm actually pretty stoked about our future between the pipes.

With Ortio I think the Flames should be very cautious with him. We've all seen over the last few years how our goalie situation has really hurt us. We're all expecting the next Kipper and that's just not realistic. I say give Ortio the bulk of the work until Ramo gets back but then send him back down to Abby upon Ramo's return, even if he's playing well. Let him compete for a spot next season and see how it goes. I just don't want to see Ortio go through what our last few goaltending prospects have gone through. For once I'd like to see the Flames develop a player properly and allow him every chance to be successful.

• Like 1

I think Burke made an awesome trade Berra for 2nd pick perfect! With Ortio and Ramo we are good in the net!

Totally agreed! 

Ramo #1 (hurry up and come back Raven! :P

Ortio as backup and playing every 4th or 5th game... Beauty! 

I also agree with some others here as far as that Ortio reminded me of kipper a bit last night :) 

In his presses Burke said they want to give Ortio a shot provide he plays. Plan right now it let Ortio play some and sounded a big like they may even play him a bit more then Ramo. If it doesn't work out they'll send him back down so he can play. Burke was very specific he wants Ortio to play but whether that's in the NHL or AHL is remaind to be seen based on ortios play.

Ortio in 2 games has looked better than Ramo has all season.  To be Ortio should start the rest of the way and Ramo will play every 4 to 5 games.  With goaltending like this, I think the Flames are in for a short rebuild. 

I like the confidence this kid has. He has a very laid back demeanor which is perfect. With the Berra trade, Burke got a great return but also made comments as some of us have that he was comfortable keeping him as well. Stated he seen promise. With the trade value we got back obviously Colorado seen something that most did not. 

Ortio in 2 games has looked better than Ramo has all season. To be Ortio should start the rest of the way and Ramo will play every 4 to 5 games. With goaltending like this, I think the Flames are in for a short rebuild.

I agree on both counts. I think if the flames can channel Burkes history of a big, shocker trade for a top 3 Dman and a top 6/ top line forward the playoffs are not far at all. Getting thoss players is gong to be tough however but I agree that I don't think they are looking at an Edmonton style rebuild and I think the playoffs are a possibility in 2016.

Ortio in 2 games has looked better than Ramo has all season.  To be Ortio should start the rest of the way and Ramo will play every 4 to 5 games.  With goaltending like this, I think the Flames are in for a short rebuild. 

I agree with this, And i'm glad everyone is finnaly getting to see Ortio for the beast that he is, I knew he was going to push past Ramo/Berra so I never really paid any attention to them. 

It would kill me if Ortio only stayed up to play every 4 to 5 games, this kid needs in the net period.

It doesnt matter if its on the Heat or the Flames, He needs to be starting.

He said before in a interview with the Heat awhile back, that he performs better in those big games(play-offs, ect)

That poise and confidence this kid has does not falter.

I'm really looking forward to watching him and the Heat make a deep push, once this flames season is over alot of kids are heading back to the Heat for the play-offs, and we couldnt ask for much more.

I agree on both counts. I think if the flames can channel Burkes history of a big, shocker trade for a top 3 Dman and a top 6/ top line forward the playoffs are not far at all. Getting thoss players is gong to be tough however but I agree that I don't think they are looking at an Edmonton style rebuild and I think the playoffs are a possibility in 2016.

I think the harder we "tank" this year, the faster we will bounce back.  Someone like Reinhart/Bennet can offer more immediate impact compared to a Draisailt. 

I think the harder we "tank" this year, the faster we will bounce back.  Someone like Reinhart/Bennet can offer more immediate impact compared to a Draisailt. 

And I was just thinking "Hey! We are only 13 points out of a wildcard spot!" 

Stranger things have happened you know.  :P

• Like 1

There were a few moments in last night's game where he looked so poised, calm, and confident that he reminded me of Kipper.  Great showing by Ortio...hope it continues.

I remember reading somewhere that Kipper and Ortio had the same goaltending coach in Finland. If that's the case, then we can infer where that demeanor has been nurtured. Great showing by him and the rest of the team against the Sens :)
  • Like 2

With Ortio I think the Flames should be very cautious with him. We've all seen over the last few years how our goalie situation has really hurt us. We're all expecting the next Kipper and that's just not realistic. I say give Ortio the bulk of the work until Ramo gets back but then send him back down to Abby upon Ramo's return, even if he's playing well. Let him compete for a spot next season and see how it goes. I just don't want to see Ortio go through what our last few goaltending prospects have gone through. For once I'd like to see the Flames develop a player properly and allow him every chance to be successful.

^ what he said lol 

I think we play Ortio until Ramo comes back, then send Ortio back down to play good minutes in the AHL and hopefully lead the team well into the Playoffs. That kind of pressure is better for his development. 

I didn't see the game, but watched the replays on this site. I feel like his side to side movements aren't as fluent as Ramo's but maybe that's age and position? Not bringing him down, but being that he's still young and developing, given the way he's playing, it's a good sign. Hopefully he continues to develop and get better. 

I like his demeanour most of all. The fact he is so laid back about his approach makes for a hard as nails attitude. 

• Like 1

People should keep in mind that Berra looked good early. It's a good start, but the mob will turn quickly if it goes south. Which is why I think you move Ortio down of he falters.

I think it is good to give Ortio some games to know what the NHL is like and then get season ending assignments on what he can work on to improve. Send him down for the playoff push and get him some meaningful games.

Roy didn't look that great against the Griffins. He looked more like a back up goalie. Anytime the Griffins were in the Heat zone I never felt comfortable as he looked pretty shaky and out of position. With that said, the Heat did lose in the shoot out...

I think it is good to give Ortio some games to know what the NHL is like and then get season ending assignments on what he can work on to improve. Send him down for the playoff push and get him some meaningful games.

Roy didn't look that great against the Griffins. He looked more like a back up goalie. Anytime the Griffins were in the Heat zone I never felt comfortable as he looked pretty shaky and out of position. With that said, the Heat did lose in the shoot out...

Times I have watched Roy he has looked okay. He seems to need some work on his high side both glove and blocker. I have seen a bunch of goals top corners just over his shoulders. This could be due to him dropping into the butterfly too early as well. 

Times I have watched Roy he has looked okay. He seems to need some work on his high side both glove and blocker. I have sen a bunch of goals top corners just over his shoulders. This could be due to him dropping into the butterfly too early as well. 

I don't know whether he has played most of his career in the ECHL, but, maybe it could be a timing issue as well if he is dropping too soon. I get he is a work in progress, as is Ortio. Things are looking up with Ortio though. Mind you, two games are a small sample size and you can never tell with these things.