s4xon

A continuation of shuting out the Americans (30 saves) in the semi-finals of the WHC?

And who posted by far the best Sv% and GAA of the 2013 WHC? A guy named Reto Berra (that's ahead of Mike Smith, Enroth, Pavaelc, Dubnyk, Gibson, Markstrom, etc., etc.)

And a guy at 24 who posted the 4th best Sv% on a defensively weak NL-A team?

Yeah, the stats from his early twenties aren't great, but he has proven he can play with the big boys on a few occassions. And the trend is positive. Which is encouraging.

Agreed.  I am not high on any of our goalies other then GIlles.  And he is a long shot still.  But I am encouraged by Ortio, Berra, and Brossoit and what they are doing in their respective leagues.  

Berra has looked fine.  He has made some saves where the puck should have went in and he has let in very few softies.  He looks technically good.  And as you say the team plays in front of him.  

Given the types of teams he has had to play, the quality of the Flames, and our state of injury he is doing VERY well.  

Agreed.  I am not high on any of our goalies other then GIlles.  And he is a long shot still.  But I am encouraged by Ortio, Berra, and Brossoit and what they are doing in their respective leagues.  

Berra has looked fine.  He has made some saves where the puck should have went in and he has let in very few softies.  He looks technically good.  And as you say the team plays in front of him.  

Given the types of teams he has had to play, the quality of the Flames, and our state of injury he is doing VERY well.  

Based on look and feel, Berra is #1, followed by Ortio (great stats in AHL, but it is the AHL), and Brossoit.

I'm not writing off Ramo yet.  He has shown some good skills, some ok stuff, and some really bad stuff.  Depending on how the coach draws up starts, he could fare a lot better.  I'm not a big fan of the "play the hot hand", because here is how it is being used:

- Play a guy, if he wins he starts next game, if he loses but doesn't totally suck or you can blame the team, he starts next game

- Above doesn't hold true if a back-to-back game

What you end up with is a guy plays 2-3 games (more for Joey) and in the meantime, the other goalie cools off.

I would prefer that goalies are matched to the team they play against.  It will take a bit of effort to figue this out.  Take the win/loss/good try out of it.

Based on look and feel, Berra is #1, followed by Ortio (great stats in AHL, but it is the AHL), and Brossoit.

I'm not writing off Ramo yet.  He has shown some good skills, some ok stuff, and some really bad stuff.  Depending on how the coach draws up starts, he could fare a lot better.  I'm not a big fan of the "play the hot hand", because here is how it is being used:

- Play a guy, if he wins he starts next game, if he loses but doesn't totally suck or you can blame the team, he starts next game

- Above doesn't hold true if a back-to-back game

What you end up with is a guy plays 2-3 games (more for Joey) and in the meantime, the other goalie cools off.

I would prefer that goalies are matched to the team they play against.  It will take a bit of effort to figue this out.  Take the win/loss/good try out of it.

I am not writing off Ramo either.  But he is right there with Backlund and Baertschi as guys the coaching staff have on short leashes.  Berra was clearly Hartley's guy from the get go and will be given every chance to be successful. 

Yup. Clear. Like by miles. And it's not just Berra, but how the team plays in front of him. If we had Gio back in the lineup like Ramo had the advantage of, the stats wouldn't even be in the same ballpark.

A continuation of shuting out the Americans (30 saves) in the semi-finals of the WHC?

And who posted by far the best Sv% and GAA of the 2013 WHC? A guy named Reto Berra (that's ahead of Mike Smith, Enroth, Pavaelc, Dubnyk, Gibson, Markstrom, etc., etc.)

And a guy at 24 who posted the 4th best Sv% on a defensively weak NL-A team?

Yeah, the stats from his early twenties aren't great, but he has proven he can play with the big boys on a few occassions. And the trend is positive. Which is encouraging.

He was great in the world cup.  Very impressive.

Whether or not there is a positive trend, I'd say that's fairly inconclusive.   I would argue his best year was 2011.

Anyway, we'll all see soon enough.

Front page updated.  Brossoit out, and Roy in..... -_-

Sooooo..now that brossoit is gone...where do we feel Roy fits in the pecking order? Personally I think this means jmac gets cut loose soon somehow..late round pick or something

Mac is still above Roy.  Roy doesn't fit this team's needs going forward.  He's struggling to keep up at the ECHL level, therefore retains last place.  Mac can at least win NHL games.

Front page updated.  Brossoit out, and Roy in..... -_-

Mac is still above Roy.  Roy doesn't fit this team's needs going forward.  He's struggling to keep up at the ECHL level, therefore retains last place.  Mac can at least win NHL games.

1.21 gaa and .96 sv% his last stint in the echl is struggling??

And yes hes ahead of him progress wise but it now means hes gotta go..roy to back up ortio in ahl..gotta ve some goalie we can send to Alaska instead?

1.21 gaa and .96 sv% his last stint in the echl is struggling??

And yes hes ahead of him progress wise but it now means hes gotta go..roy to back up ortio in ahl..gotta ve some goalie we can send to Alaska instead?

Actually in Roy's last stint in the ECHL was 2.81 GAA and .911 SV% which was the playoffs of the year you're quoting.  Not exactly great numbers. And his numbers so far this year in the AHL are even worse.

I've only ever watched Roy at the world juniors but I wasn't impressed with his play then. Having watched Brossoit on many occasions in the dub and memorial cup I thought he is a good athlete with a great frame frame for goaltending. He has a lot to learn but I've seen improvments over time so that leads me to believe he has some potential.

Edmonton got the better goaltender in this trade.

I actually think Roy and Brossoit are very comparable. Both are very athletic goaltenders with good ceilings but both seen to lack the intangibles to name them too end goalies. I'd give the edge to Brossoit because he is a bit younger but I think overal the two of then are pretty similar.

DEC     GA     SA     SV     sv%         TOI     

L            6       15      9       .600         39:50

L            4        21     17     .810         59:46

L            3         21     18    .857         38;00

W           1        21     20     .952         59;58

w            4        24     20     .833         60;00

L            5        27     22     .815         58;52

1         3       2     .667         26;41

L             2        29     27    ,931         62;24

5        14      9     .643         35;40

3         11      8     .727         40;00

W           0         29     29   1.000        60;00

L            3         34     31     .912        63;49

L            5         36     31     .861        64;28

L            1         28     27     .964        58;46

W           2         25     23     .920        59;29

L           3           24    21      .875        59.32

L           2          37     35      .946        59;04

W          3          36    33       .917        63;58

L           3          24    21       .875        59;58

L           4          28    24       .857        59;02

L           3          30    27       .900        62;04

L           2          20    18       .900        47;43

Gotta go to work, but Reto ain't Kipper.   Kipper's worst year isn't what attracted us to him.  It's what made him available so Sutter could acquire him.  Kipper had stellar stats every single year prior, going back a decade.

Reto has never had good stats, and his performance so far this year in the NHL is just a continuation of that.   

There is No comparison.

Did  I ever say that Reto is Kipper?  I know you love stats. Took a year when Kipper was the same age as Reto. So you say kipper always had great stats. If I was to look at those stats I listed above I do not see Stellar stats. If you look at the year before that they are about the same when you look at them game by game.  So why is it that Reto has no good stats. They looked pretty good to me when i look at them from the last couple seasons and the world cup last year.

If you only want to compare stats from the NHL you have to be fare and compare stats from the same body of work. ( age, how many games,)  Trying to compare a young goalie to a 10 year vet is not doing it fairly.

Kipper was never considered a starting goalie in the NHL till he came to Calgary. A potential starter yes   but not a starter.  

What people get tired of is after every game you have such a doom and gloom aspect to your comments. Not to mention you lay the blame on 1 guy.  There are 20 guys dressed every game as well as the coaches.

Reto has yet to let a bad goal in that was a easy save to make.  

It is cool you have passion and a opinion. What isn't cool is throwing a guy under the bus without giving an apropiate amount of time to show what he has.

no.

As a rule, I don't argue with posters who quote themselves and then start every post off with an insult.

As much as I would love to tear your arguement to shreds, it's not worth the time taken to write the response.

The only thing i quated of myself where the numbers that kipper had in his year that he was 26.  For Proof and a reminder since you obviousley never looked at them.  Are they good?  IMO some yes  and some no.  That is the point  Kipper at 26 years old was not great every night.

You can try and argue my post all you want but the problem is you really can't.  My post is that you throw our goalies under the bus after every loss stateing that they are not good enough. I just get sick of hearing you bash these guys on 3 games of work. Then you state that they will never be a NHL starter.  I am fine if you say you do not like Reto or Karri. that is your opinion and choice. But I think your are short sighted if you think you can tell who is and who is not a potential starting goalie in the NHL after a few games.

Have you watched the games or just look at the score sheet at the end?

I am liking what Berra is offering right now. He's technically sound, makes the occasionally great save, and (most importantly), hasn't allowed those back-breaking, momentum-killing softies we've seen from Ramo and MacDonald so far this season.

Even when Minnesota scored 5 against him, he couldn't really be faulted for them. Those goals weren't scored on bad rebounds or from bad angles; they were power play goals or goals caused by poor defensive coverage etc.

He doesn't have to be Kiprusoff. Teams don't need elite goaltenders to win. But they do need somebody reliable and so far, so good for Berra. I am hoping for an Antii Niemi/Corey Crawford-esque goaltender to develop out of him. His effort seems strong and given the Flames are a weak team, especially defensively, it's quite heartening to see him play the way he has despite the adversity of playing for a rebuilding team.

• Like 1

We lost this trade big time I watch some games with Brossoit once I learned we had him in the system I believe he was going to be a big part of our future and was going to be a first star most night with the flames trading him is going to bit use in the u know what. Peaple seem to think he was good only because of who he had in front of him but alot of nights he would stop 35-40 shots and they were tuff ones to stop as well Oiler Management are laughing there faces off at us and who ever desided this was good for the flames should be fired. This was a mistake and we will be hanging over Calgary for yrs to come another st louis trade. And of course just my opinion.

Joni Ortio was credited for the win, stopping 19 of 22 shots. Ortio has now won all five of his starts with Abbotsford.

Close 4-3 Game, Ortio comes up big, so does a pleasant suprise with micheal ferland waking up finnaly with a 2 goal night.

Sophomore goaltender Jon Gillies (South Portland, Maine) earned his sixth win of the season for the Friars making 31 saves in the game. 

Janko with 2 Goals in a comeback 4-2 win.

We lost this trade big time I watch some games with Brossoit once I learned we had him in the system I believe he was going to be a big part of our future and was going to be a first star most night with the flames trading him is going to bit use in the u know what. Peaple seem to think he was good only because of who he had in front of him but alot of nights he would stop 35-40 shots and they were tuff ones to stop as well Oiler Management are laughing there faces off at us and who ever desided this was good for the flames should be fired. This was a mistake and we will be hanging over Calgary for yrs to come another st louis trade. And of course just my opinion.

Brossoit faced inferior competion.

He has proven zero facing better competition.

Where was he last year for the WJC?

Cut....

We tend to glorify our prospects...

Ortio just stopped 45 shots last night for his 6th straight win....amazing.

He's currently the 5th best save percentage in the AHL.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_goalies&subType=1&season_id=43&tournament_id=0&leagueId=4&division_id=-1&confId=0

Rookie of the year looks like it's between him and Jon Gibson.

Now That is something to be excited about.  Go Ortio!

In my opinion this was a straight up trade of Horak for Smid. The tenders were throw ins. Looking at in that light, we won that trade hands down.

In my opinion this was a straight up trade of Horak for Smid. The tenders were throw ins. Looking at in that light, we won that trade hands down.

They also wanted Brossoit...   They are already promoting that part of the trade on their main page...   

c5b427460d74e7b11b3c073d902423c7.png

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=691220&navid=DL|EDM|home

They also wanted Brossoit...   They are already promoting that part of the trade on their main page...   

c5b427460d74e7b11b3c073d902423c7.png

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=691220&navid=DL|EDM|home

I'm thinking watching him with the Oil Kings kind of influenced that. But that Oil Kings team was stacked! I doubt even Patrick Roy in his best days could turn that Oiler team around.