Tyler Wotherspoon Signed

Good for Wotherspoon.  He's definitely a part of our future, he was one of the bright spots on the Canadian team this year at the world Jr's.

Great that we got him signed. He has really shown improvement over the last season, and impressed me at the world juniors. Anyone know if we will be able to get Gaudreau signed soon or if he is continuing with his school?

I would hope Gaudreau continues with school.  He's on a path of success.  He's getting the best development possible, much more than Abbotsford would provide. And at the expense of Boston College, not the Calgary Flames.

I would hope Gaudreau continues with school.  He's on a path of success.  He's getting the best development possible, much more than Abbotsford would provide. And at the expense of Boston College, not the Calgary Flames.

Im not sure about that... He is a top 3 finalist for the Hobey Baker, and was Hockey Easts player of the year, not to mention dominating in almost every category one could expect of him. What more does he really have to accomplish at that level? I would much rather get him over here, put him on the heat to finish the season out and get him working out with some of the team trainers to build some more muscle on that frame.

Im not sure about that... He is a top 3 finalist for the Hobey Baker, and was Hockey Easts player of the year, not to mention dominating in almost every category one could expect of him. What more does he really have to accomplish at that level? I would much rather get him over here, put him on the heat to finish the season out and get him working out with some of the team trainers to build some more muscle on that frame.

You also have to ask Johnny Gaudreau whether he wants to finish his college degree or make the shift to pro. It is not just about the Flames here. There's a reason he went the education route, albeit being a smaller player, he may have known that was his best way to the NHL. But he did go education. Maybe he elects to stay in school. What if he doesn't make it to the NHL?

Shouldn't this thread be in the Signings section?

Yeah he is dominating, he's a winner, and has accomplished much at his level, but you need to remember he's only a sophomore.  Development isn't just winning awards and titles.  He can gain weight on his frame playing with people around his age and with similar skill level, even though he is at the top of the charts.  I also consider the NCAA to be on par with the AHL in terms of development.  The only difference is accessability of the player. 

Not much has come from Abbotsford in terms of developed players other than Brodie, a little with Backlund, but he hasn't been lights out for the Flames.  2 years will only further Johnny's development. No need to rush him, the rebuild won't be overnight.

As for Wotherspoon, the kid has the opportunity to develop further in the A.  That is what option is available to him.

Yeah he is dominating, he's a winner, and has accomplished much at his level, but you need to remember he's only a sophomore.  Development isn't just winning awards and titles.  He can gain weight on his frame playing with people around his age and with similar skill level, even though he is at the top of the charts.  I also consider the NCAA to be on par with the AHL in terms of development.  The only difference is accessability of the player. 

Not much has come from Abbotsford in terms of developed players other than Brodie, a little with Backlund, but he hasn't been lights out for the Flames.  2 years will only further Johnny's development. No need to rush him, the rebuild won't be overnight.

As for Wotherspoon, the kid has the opportunity to develop further in the A.  That is what option is available to him.

Thats why I would rather have him with the heat though... He would be able to work with the team trainers on certain training aspects (adding muscle) as well as to adding certain aspects of his game - you have much more control over his development and what he is working on if he is with the Heat as opposed to if he is with BC. An added bonus is the fact that maybe he is able to develop some chemistry with some other prospects - something that makes the transition to the big club a little easier. I also think that the AHL is a step up from the NCAA... but thats just me.

Either way I think is good, and I agree with you in that it certainly wouldn't hurt to have him develop another year with BC. I just personally think he is ready to make the jump. I guess in these kind of situations patience usually wins out, and I wouldn't be surprised if he spends another year with BC. Especially since he may be wanting to finish his education, as Robin pointed out above.

Im in agreement with you about Wotherspoon though. He should play with the Heat to close out the season, and hopefully take them on a long playoff run. I think its too big of a jump for him to go from WHL --> NHL as some people in another thread were insinuating. Needs to be another stepping stone there.

Do you mean Brodie? Because i think the last thing the flames should do is develop our players in the same manner as the worst defenceman on the team...

Babchuk had a good year with the help of a little baby-sitting. Both his production and his plus/minus flattered him hugely and earned him a 5 million dollar contract with an NMC!

Do you mean Brodie? Because i think the last thing the flames should do is develop our players in the same manner as the worst defenceman on the team...

If you want to develop him like Brodie, you gotta have him in the AHL. Maybe some call-ups to see what it's like. How many years did Brodie play in the A? Obviously, Babchuk didn't amount to anything. I don't see Wotherspoon going the same way as Babs. 

How does Babs get a NMC? 

• 2 weeks later...

Babchuk had a good year with the help of a little baby-sitting. Both his production and his plus/minus flattered him hugely and earned him a 5 million dollar contract with an NMC!

errrrr... so? I still don't think that wotherspoon should be treated like babchuk was. Miles apart in potential, skill set, development curve, etc... Really don't think thats the right approach to take. If i had to compare Wotherspoon to a current defenceman on the team it would probably be gio.

If you want to develop him like Brodie, you gotta have him in the AHL. Maybe some call-ups to see what it's like. How many years did Brodie play in the A? Obviously, Babchuk didn't amount to anything. I don't see Wotherspoon going the same way as Babs. 

How does Babs get a NMC? 

Well yeah, thats completely fine. I don't think that Wotherspoon should be with the Flames next season, I would prefer him spend a season in the AHL. In answer to your question, Brodie played 1 year in the AHL before being put up with the Flames. I would like to see the same kind of opportunity/development given to Wotherspoon.

• 11 months later...

It's nice to see a kid progress with every game he plays. Tyler has been impressive, He's playing Butler out of a job imho.

Such a smart player, his vision is underrated as far as i'm concerned, seems to have stepped up his physical game as well. Possibly an  Ears 2.0 in the making with better skating ability.

Colour me impressed. 

I felt simply from the prospects tournament that he has all of the tools to be a stalwart stay-at-home dman. You can tell the D fundamentals are very solid, positioning, reading the play, how to cover guys harrassing your net. I've always felt dmen that have that aspect of their game nailed down are vastly underrated because they do nothing flashy. But they don't have to, because they play their position so well. They don't get themselves in trouble very often so you rarely hear their name in a telecast.

I'm certain he's going to reach the point of seldom ever making a mistake, and that is difficult for opponents to play against.

Well the news doesn't look good for Wotherspoon.  According to Steinberg, he is injured, and may be shut down for the season.  Breen has been recalled by the Flames and Cundari has been recalled by either the Heat or Flames; the tweet is a little confusing why there are two recalls.

Well the news doesn't look good for Wotherspoon.  According to Steinberg, he is injured, and may be shut down for the season.  Breen has been recalled by the Flames and Cundari has been recalled by either the Heat or Flames; the tweet is a little confusing why there are two recalls.

Season ending shoulder injury, requires surgery. I feel sorry for the kid, He was doing great and it was a matter of time until he was back with the heat for the play-off run, sad he has to miss it all after all his hard work this year.

Archived