RIP Johnny hockey

Addicted

not that this is the time for this but, “mad is

sad’s bodyguard”. I think that’s why the reaction was what it was when left. He was absolutely adored by this city and it really sucked to see him leave. This fan base will

always love #13. 

• Like 1

Gutted and mortified by this. I loved the player and will enjoy the memories. Life can change in the blink of an eye, a tragic reminder of how precious life can be... hug your loved ones.

My utmost sincerest condolences to the Gaudreau family. This is mortifying news. 

There is no more to be said as to how tragic this news is. My head has been wrapped up in a fog all day at the thought of what his family and friends are going through.

I was brought to tears when I went back today to read the letter that Johnny had penned to us flames fans when he left. He inadvertantly left us with a somber goodbye that speaks so much about the amazing future that was taken from him and his family. 

I will never forget seeing so many young kids (and being around my friends' kids) all in their Gaudreau jerseys and thinking that the 04' cup run team has now seen the changing of the guard. 

His hockey achievements and legacy will always be associated with Calgary. In his letter, Johnny referred to us as part of his family and I hope that one day we are able to host his family in our city so that they can be reminded of the love that was shared, the memories that were made, the people that were inspired and the city that was championed by/because of Johnny (Hockey) Gaudreau. 

You are Forever a Flame. Remembered by all of the hockey world as an outstanding person with outstanding values.

I'm sure learning about my own hockey psyche. The circumstances are catastrophic enough to reach even the hardest heart, regardless of the victim's identity.

Regardless of circumstance, which I wish had not been so heartbreaking tragic, it feels like I'm mourning the loss of a friend.

I don't mean to make this about me, but now I'm sitting wondering how many hockey players would make me feel this way? I doubt the list is longer than 3.

For context, I loved Nirvana when Cobain completed suicide, but personally, it didn't really impact me much.

Johnny feels far more personal. This is day 2 of mourning, and my excitement for the start of the season has currently dissipated.

As much as many said a lot of wayward things when he left us and struggled in Columbus, that was borne of bitterness and resentment. Not real things, just angry rants.

Seeing him on TV at BC, I thought, yeah whatevs, you're not doing that in the NHL. Then I saw him at camp. I was absolutely stunned at the difference of seeing him live.

Then we had the comeback kids with him, Mony and Hudler. Hartley's presser of, "I walk into the dressing room, and it fells like Romper Room". lol

Such a fun season. Down 4-2 heading into the 3rd, "Perfect. Got them right where we want them". Pre-games watching him throw pucks 30' in the air. Sending him to the ASGs and being on the edge of your seat waiting for him to win a skills comp for the flaming C. That TBay game in 2022...jeez...I've always thought Vasy is the pinnacle of goaltending. Johnny pots a hatty with 2 of them coming from below the goal line. Best goalie on earth, and Johnny's living rent-free in his head.

I'm thankful to have witnessed his magic, live, on a great many occasions. I'd say, for me, there are 2 players, him and Datsyuk. What you see on TV does zero justice to what you see live.

My all-time fave, thankfully it happened lots, is when he scored and had that fired-up look like he's ready to fight someone. I feel for the STH, that Johnny tribute video is going to be a very, very hard watch. They'd best have a world of tissue on hand, garbage cans for the spent ones, and be ready to clear out the garbage full of spent tissue before the game even starts.

We're in Columbus Nov. 29th. Columbus is in Calgary Dec. 3rd. We're in Detroit Nov. 27th, so I'll be there as per usual. Columbus, I don't know that I'll be able to watch either game.

Calgary lost an icon. An entirely undeserving family was carpet-bombed. The remaining ripples and reminders will not pass for a very long time. As it should be.

Our only salvation is that we knew him at all. Learned about the family that raised an icon, with impeccable modesty.

• Like 4

I was fortunate enough to have been at game 7 against Dallas. It was an incredible moment. As 2004 gets further and further away, there's a good chance that goal stands up as the biggest Flames goal of the past 20-30 years.

This was my favorite regular season moment. I also went to this game. Went with a Flyer fan buddy. In the final 90 seconds he stood up in anticipation of a Flyer win, then this happened.

This one was incredible to see live as well. This was on the 10 game winning streak.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I was fortunate enough to have been at game 7 against Dallas. It was an incredible moment. As 2004 gets further and further away, there's a good chance that goal stands up as the biggest Flames goal of the past 20-30 years.

This was my favorite regular season moment. I also went to this game. Went with a Flyer fan buddy. In the final 90 seconds he stood up in anticipation of a Flyer win, then this happened.

This one was incredible to see live as well. This was on the 10 game winning streak.

Shrink the McDavids and Austins down to his size, he was hands down the best player on earth.

I was sad when #13 went to free agency a few years ago, as he was a class act, but how could you argue with a "Family First" move? Now, we all lost him to a selfish act that will leave a legacy of pain. The Gaudreau family will have a forever hole in their lives from so much loss. If you drink, please call for a ride. Sleep well, Knight of the Ice! I hope the Flames will wear an exceptional #13 patch this year.  We are all Flames/Blue Jackets fans today.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm sure learning about my own hockey psyche. The circumstances are catastrophic enough to reach even the hardest heart, regardless of the victim's identity.

Regardless of circumstance, which I wish had not been so heartbreaking tragic, it feels like I'm mourning the loss of a friend.

I don't mean to make this about me, but now I'm sitting wondering how many hockey players would make me feel this way? I doubt the list is longer than 3.

For context, I loved Nirvana when Cobain completed suicide, but personally, it didn't really impact me much.

Johnny feels far more personal. This is day 2 of mourning, and my excitement for the start of the season has currently dissipated.

As much as many said a lot of wayward things when he left us and struggled in Columbus, that was borne of bitterness and resentment. Not real things, just angry rants.

Seeing him on TV at BC, I thought, yeah whatevs, you're not doing that in the NHL. Then I saw him at camp. I was absolutely stunned at the difference of seeing him live.

Then we had the comeback kids with him, Mony and Hudler. Hartley's presser of, "I walk into the dressing room, and it fells like Romper Room". lol

Such a fun season. Down 4-2 heading into the 3rd, "Perfect. Got them right where we want them". Pre-games watching him throw pucks 30' in the air. Sending him to the ASGs and being on the edge of your seat waiting for him to win a skills comp for the flaming C. That TBay game in 2022...jeez...I've always thought Vasy is the pinnacle of goaltending. Johnny pots a hatty with 2 of them coming from below the goal line. Best goalie on earth, and Johnny's living rent-free in his head.

I'm thankful to have witnessed his magic, live, on a great many occasions. I'd say, for me, there are 2 players, him and Datsyuk. What you see on TV does zero justice to what you see live.

My all-time fave, thankfully it happened lots, is when he scored and had that fired-up look like he's ready to fight someone. I feel for the STH, that Johnny tribute video is going to be a very, very hard watch. They'd best have a world of tissue on hand, garbage cans for the spent ones, and be ready to clear out the garbage full of spent tissue before the game even starts.

We're in Columbus Nov. 29th. Columbus is in Calgary Dec. 3rd. We're in Detroit Nov. 27th, so I'll be there as per usual. Columbus, I don't know that I'll be able to watch either game.

Calgary lost an icon. An entirely undeserving family was carpet-bombed. The remaining ripples and reminders will not pass for a very long time. As it should be.

Our only salvation is that we knew him at all. Learned about the family that raised an icon, with impeccable modesty.

For sures.  Johnny was trending his way to breaking most of Jarome Iginla's franchise records so he's got a very special place here.  Wish he stayed.  He was our window to win.  He will always be remembered here.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

That was the biggest Flames goal since Martin Gelinas.

Tough 24 hours! Some of the hardest days of life. Lost my nephew to 2 double lung transplants the same day as Johnny passed, just hours later! Heard the news while at his bedside. 

I was sad to see Johnny go. It was hard when I got that info. Life is short and some go way too soon. And to lose two brothers, two sons and two parents like that, is tragic. I feel for his family! Which include close friends and family, fans too. They're a part of them all. They had a lifetime of love to give to the world. He was all class. Loved how much family meant to him. In the end, that is what is important.

Such a good player too. One of the best in the game. No amount of draft picks and players can replace the impacts he's had. Much love to the family and to the hockey community. We already all miss you. There is a hole in my heart! 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Tough 24 hours! Some of the hardest days of life. Lost my nephew to 2 double lung transplants the same day as Johnny passed, just hours later! Heard the news while at his bedside. 

I was sad to see Johnny go. It was hard when I got that info. Life is short and some go way too soon. And to lose two brothers, two sons and two parents like that, is tragic. I feel for his family! Which include close friends and family, fans too. They're a part of them all. They had a lifetime of love to give to the world. He was all class. Loved how much family meant to him. In the end, that is what is important.

Such a good player too. One of the best in the game. No amount of draft picks and players can replace the impacts he's had. Much love to the family and to the hockey community. We already all miss you. There is a hole in my heart! 

Damn man. So sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Condolences.  Hope all is good.

43 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

So sorry to hear this man.  Not fair at all.  Condolences to you and your familly.

• Like 1

I was just reading back to when Johnny filed a trademark application in the US and Canada for the "Johnny Hockey" nickname.

I recall many keyboard warriors, particularly from that giant drug consumption facility 3 hours north of Calgary, and that other one devastating our southern Pacific coast, calling him selfish, greedy, etc...etc...etc...

Of course, the opposite was true. He was just trying to end shady mfers like them from exploiting him and that nickname for profit.

A stand-up cat like him probably hated that nickname. Imagine just how brutally your buddies would be playing it up. lol Had to be embarrassing.

16 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I was just reading back to when Johnny filed a trademark application in the US and Canada for the "Johnny Hockey" nickname.

I recall many keyboard warriors, particularly from that giant drug consumption facility 3 hours north of Calgary, and that other one devastating our southern Pacific coast, calling him selfish, greedy, etc...etc...etc...

Of course, the opposite was true. He was just trying to end shady mfers like them from exploiting him and that nickname for profit.

A stand-up cat like him probably hated that nickname. Imagine just how brutally your buddies would be playing it up. lol Had to be embarrassing.

To be fair, it was his agent that filed it.  The need for it was exactly as you described, especially coming out of the NCAA.  Back then there were t-shirts with Gaudreauby and a stylized drawing of him on his edges.  People making money off him.  But, he was so shy about having that much attention.  I remembered watch his interviews back then and after he started killing it in the NHL.  He looked like he wanted to do anything but talk about himself.

The home openers in several NHL arenas are going to be tear-jerkers.  He left a hole in many hockey hears with his passing.  No amount of tributes will fill that hole.  

On 8/31/2024 at 4:53 PM, conundrumed said:

From what I remember, the reason Johnny did it was because one day he saw someone where a "Johnny 'F@#$&!G' Hockey" shirt and thought maybe it's best to keep his branding clean.  But ya, he never trademarked and then tried to make any money off it.  He just didn't want his branding to go off the deep end.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

From what I remember, the reason Johnny did it was because one day he saw someone where a "Johnny 'F@#$&!G' Hockey" shirt and thought maybe it's best to keep his branding clean.  But ya, he never trademarked and then tried to make any money off it.  He just didn't want his branding to go off the deep end.

So you're saying I may have taken the opportunity to slag Edmonton and Vancouver?

Hmmm...you could be correct. lol

When are you firing off the pool invites for this season?

If I were you, I'd start promoting it now, a few weeks ahead of invites. Just saying.

I'm tired of narrowly being a top 10 finish. I'm ready for, like, 26th. Just one ahead of @Mike_Oxlong, and 2 ahead of you. lol

Wouldn't pain me to finish ahead of Kyle Dubas' mom either. Sorry, I meant @Zirakzigil.

13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

So you're saying I may have taken the opportunity to slag Edmonton and Vancouver?

Hmmm...you could be correct. lol

When are you firing off the pool invites for this season?

If I were you, I'd start promoting it now, a few weeks ahead of invites. Just saying.

I'm tired of narrowly being a top 10 finish. I'm ready for, like, 26th. Just one ahead of @Mike_Oxlong, and 2 ahead of you. lol

Wouldn't pain me to finish ahead of Kyle Dubas' mom either. Sorry, I meant @Zirakzigil.

Good call.

Our Yahoo hockey pool has been renewed.  If anyone is interested to join this year, then please let me know.

On 8/31/2024 at 3:41 PM, robrob74 said:

So sorry to hear this robrob. My condolences. 

• Thanks 1