RIP Johnny hockey

Addicted

Just waking up to the news that Johnny and his brother Mathew have both passed away. Sad, sad, news…Johnny was one of my favourites here. Great hockey player, husband, and father to two children. Terrible news.  Deepest sympathies to the Gaudreau family, I can’t imagine what they are going through. 

RIP Johnny….

This is heartbreaking. RIP to Johnny and Matty. Thoughts and prayers to Meredith and the two little ones, as well as the rest of the family. This really sucks.  It’s hard to fathom right now.

It was an absolute pleasure to watch the first eight years of his career. He would bring folks to the edge of their seats. Really special player. Flames fans were lucky to have him. Most importantly though, a genuinely good person that loved his family.

Rest in peace, #13.

Went to be last night and this was just a ridiculous twitter rumor with no basis ..woke up this morning to learn it was confirmed ..    so sad .

We forget many times these people are people .. we talk about them like possessions and commodities ..

I cannot imagine what the family must be going thru.  2 brothers gone , the day before  the sisters wedding .. this puts a capital T on tragedy ..

Well always have his final goal here that electrified a city ..and all the memories . But can only send prayers to those who he Shoujd never be just a memory to. ..his children who are so young they may not ever truly have memories of him.. this family does not deserve this .

RIP.  Saw the rumours last night and had a bad feeling from all the details that were slowly coming in with no sources but yet everything was lining up and no officials came forward to deny the rumours.  So tragic.  Too young.  Condolences to the Gaudreau family.  

Like many I went to bed last night really hoping that this was just some bad reporting and a bit of a social media storm. To wake up today to see it's official is heartbreaking. 

Gaudreau is the most talented and exciting player I've ever seen play for the Flames and while he was here one of their best stories. I remember when they drafted him and I don't mind admitting I wrote him off, until I saw him at camp for the first time. Only player i've ever seen on the Flames that would make you move the edge of your seat every time he touched the puck. I've been fortunate to see a lot of things at the Dome but his OT goal against Dallas is the loudest it's every been for me. I'll never forget that.

To not just see him gone way too soon but to think of this happening as his sister is about to get married and his family is just getting started... is completely heartbreaking. 

RIP Johnny and thank you. Condolences and thanks to the Gaudreau family for raising one heck of a son. Calgary is thinking of you. 

This is an absolute tragedy. I can't say anything better than what has been said in the posts above this one, but my absolute love and best go out to the Gaudreau family. They are beloved in Calgary, and I'm pretty sure that they loved it here, too.

I went to bed quite late following along, and by the time I hit the pillow I was certain that it was true. It had been reported by a number of dubious sources, and I figured, a correction would have come very quickly, but a confirmation would take time. It wasn't looking good.

I watched a lot of games on TV when I lived in Toronto, and Vancouver, and whenever I was home during the season, I'd try to get down to the dome. In 2015, I had a few to choose from, and I got lucky when I picked an absolute banger of a game — probably the best one that season — against the Bruins. Brad Marchand scored on a controversial penalty shot in the third period, and the Dome was agitated. Jiri Hudler sent it to overtime with 1.2 seconds left, and Johnny Hockey scored his hat trick goal in overtime. That place came unglued! I'll never forget it, and I'll never forget all the times that number 13 brought me to the edge of my seat.

Thanks, Johnny, and thank you to the Gaudreau family for raising an absolute beauty.

RIP, Johnny, and Matthew.

All the love.

• Like 1

This is such a tragic event for the Gaudreau entire family. Johnny was the first player that made me to go out and buy my first Flames jersey. I had put off from buying a Flames jersey for so long until he came into town. I've enjoyed his plays with the Flames. I was angry and sad when he left town but I always want him to enjoy his life outside of Calgary. I can't believe that his life got cut so short.

My condolences to the Gaudreau family, there is no word that can describe what the family are going through right now. RIP Johnny and Mathew!

I saw this rumour at 1am EST. I spent the next hours deep-diving. By 3-4am I knew it was true. Nobody, but nobody, can invent this level of tragedy.

Yet this could be anyone on any given day. You don't have to be famous.

My heart, really, really goes out to the Gaudreau family and friends.

I wouldn't wish this torture on anyone. It stays with you. It changes you.

This is the worst nightmare life can serve you.

RIP Johnny and Matthew.

Blockchain.

They should be shining up right now to be groomsmen for their soon-to-be brother-in-law.

So many views of the most egregious nightmare for so many.

Scars that never heal.

• Like 3

This just adds to the senselessness

County Route 551, close to the fog line of the roadway. Sean M. Higgins, a 43-year-old male from Woodstown, N.J., was traveling north on CR 551 in a Jeep Grand Cherokee behind a sedan and SUV. Higgins attempted to pass the slower-moving sedan and SUV, entered the southbound lanes of travel, passed the slower moving sedan, and attempted to re-enter the northbound lanes of travel when the SUV in front of Higgins moved the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes to safely pass the two pedalcyclist traveling north on the right side of the roadway. Higgins then attempted pass the SUV on the right and struck the two pedalcyclists in the rear. As a result of the collision, the two pedalcyclists sustained fatal injuries. Through further investigation, Higgins was suspected of being under the influence of alcohol, charged with two counts of death auto, and lodged in tha Salem County Correctional Facility. This cras remains an active investigation and no

JH left a mark on this team that will never be forgotten.  Following him after getting drafted, making it to the Frozen 4.  Getting to play with his brother on BC.  Seeing him score in his first NHL game.  Then the start of the season he struggled to find the space he needed.  Finding it just around the time they were considering sending him to the NHL.  Rookie nomination.  Never looking back.  So many fond memories.  My first jersey was one with his name and number on it.  Wearing the jersey during the series against Dallas and the seeing-eye goal in OT.  

I can't even imagine the hurt his true friends are feeling, let alone his wife and kids (Little Johnny), Guy, Jane and his sisters.  I doubt you would find a NHL player that could find anything bad to say about him.  Team USA is lesser with the loss.

Go, Johnny Go.

40 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Touched by all the words out there, but man this one hit me. A brand new jumbotron and this is the first thing we see on it...

It's been hitting me since 1am.

So many awesome memories.

A friend that moved to Texas about 5 years prior called me out of the blue. "I'm in Calgary to visit my dad next weekend, are you around"?

"No. But I'll make it happen. Flames game Saturday night? I have tix, I'll find a 3rd ticket".

So we met late aft Saturday for dinner and drinks.

He said, man, I'm kind of embarrassed, I haven't really been following hockey, because, well, Texas. Who should I watch?

I said, #13 on the Flames, Johnny Gaudreau. He'll be the best guy on the ice.

Puck drop, it goes left between the opponent's red and blue line. Johnny grabs it and goes and snipes. 1-0 Flames. Like, 7 seconds in.

My buddy said, "is that the guy you said"? Yup. That's him alright.

I loved watching the Wings feed when playing Calgary. Mickey Redmond has the biggest man-crush on Johnny that I've ever heard him man-crush. Like, every time Gaudreau's skates touched the ice good 'ol Mickey would just gush.

As for me, I have never seen skating edges like his. Never. Nobody is that fleet of foot.

Absolute legend for me.

27 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's been hitting me since 1am.

So many awesome memories.

A friend that moved to Texas about 5 years prior called me out of the blue. "I'm in Calgary to visit my dad next weekend, are you around"?

"No. But I'll make it happen. Flames game Saturday night? I have tix, I'll find a 3rd ticket".

So we met late aft Saturday for dinner and drinks.

He said, man, I'm kind of embarrassed, I haven't really been following hockey, because, well, Texas. Who should I watch?

I said, #13 on the Flames, Johnny Gaudreau. He'll be the best guy on the ice.

Puck drop, it goes left between the opponent's red and blue line. Johnny grabs it and goes and snipes. 1-0 Flames. Like, 7 seconds in.

My buddy said, "is that the guy you said"? Yup. That's him alright.

I loved watching the Wings feed when playing Calgary. Mickey Redmond has the biggest man-crush on Johnny that I've ever heard him man-crush. Like, every time Gaudreau's skates touched the ice good 'ol Mickey would just gush.

As for me, I have never seen skating edges like his. Never. Nobody is that fleet of foot.

Absolute legend for me.

Is somebody slicing onions?