2025 NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The Flames are going to be very much focused on what FLA is like this year.  One thing I wasn't aware was that if FLA's pick is top 10, it goes to Philly (or kept by FLA).  That sets up a worse case scenario of Flames having 2nd overall and losing it to MTL.  I know you can't control where other teams end up in the draft, but if they were crapping the bed ad we were looking to be 5th overall or worse, we might have to do something about it.  Can't guarantee a 1st overall (MTL can't take it), so the only other option is to make the pick worse for MTL.

I'm inclined to think FLA is at least a 11th overall or better, so this should not play into things.

Philly's condition was if it was a top 10 in 2024 they got the 2025.  Since it wasn't they got Florida's 1st this past year, which they traded to Edmonton.  That trade is complete now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The Flames are going to be very much focused on what FLA is like this year.  One thing I wasn't aware was that if FLA's pick is top 10, it goes to Philly (or kept by FLA).  That sets up a worse case scenario of Flames having 2nd overall and losing it to MTL.  I know you can't control where other teams end up in the draft, but if they were crapping the bed ad we were looking to be 5th overall or worse, we might have to do something about it.  Can't guarantee a 1st overall (MTL can't take it), so the only other option is to make the pick worse for MTL.

I'm inclined to think FLA is at least a 11th overall or better, so this should not play into things.

Well, firstly FLA isn't going to crap the bed that bad.

Secondly, if they do, then it would be next year's 1st going to MTL lotto unprotected.

45 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well, firstly FLA isn't going to crap the bed that bad.

Secondly, if they do, then it would be next year's 1st going to MTL lotto unprotected.

My point was a 2nd overall finish onward for us and a FLA top 10 drafting results in us losing our pick this year.  1st overall for us in 2025 would move it to 2026 in that scenario.  My understanding of the trade conditions is that only the 1st overall is protected.  

It's an unlikely scenario but key injuries can turn a team into a lotto team.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I was totally thinking the same thing just now

giphy.webp

5 hours ago, sak22 said:

Philly's condition was if it was a top 10 in 2024 they got the 2025.  Since it wasn't they got Florida's 1st this past year, which they traded to Edmonton.  That trade is complete now.

Quoted and bolded for clarity. The Philly-Florida trade is completed. Off the books. No longer in play. No longer relevant. 

Stop bringing up Sam O'Reilly. He's dead to me. lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I know we aren't supposed to say bad things about BT but until that mess of a pick is sorted and it could have a massive effect on the team for years to come, from his bad choices. I'm not miffed he traded a 1st, but it should have been lotto protected.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I know we aren't supposed to say bad things about BT but until that mess of a pick is sorted and it could have a massive effect on the team for years to come, from his bad choices. I'm not miffed he traded a 1st, but it should have been lotto protected.

Blockchain BT. lol Daddy's little rich kid got talked in circles on conditions that he didn't seem to understand due to his man-crush on Kadri.

He's TML GM, so screw him even more. Cold and no lube.

19 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I hope the Flames can grab another 1st in this upcoming draft. Maybe even two. Likewise for the 2026z

How? Coleman? We can't have literally nobody at D, not sure how we can trade Andersson or Weegar.

We did pretty good on the smoke-damaged furniture sale. You're getting way too greedy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I hope the Flames can grab another 1st in this upcoming draft. Maybe even two. Likewise for the 2026z

I also think you are being a bit greedy, but I am cool with hoping.   What Might be feasible is 2026 or 2027 picks because future picks are usually discounted, and I am cool with that as they are very good drafts.  I thinks.

It would be possible but would require a full gutting.   Our top D.   Rasmus.   Other players, like Kozmenko etc.     

It could involve retention.  And then yeah Kadri would have value.    

It could involve reviving a player's career and then flipping them at tdl.

It's possible.   Unlikely but possible 

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Blockchain BT. lol Daddy's little rich kid got talked in circles on conditions that he didn't seem to understand due to his man-crush on Kadri.

He's TML GM, so screw him even more. Cold and no lube.

How? Coleman? We can't have literally nobody at D, not sure how we can trade Andersson or Weegar.

We did pretty good on the smoke-damaged furniture sale. You're getting way too greedy.

I think by then, maybe even they could have had talks about where Andersson is with the future plans. Is he a Flame for life. I wouldn't mind that. But like all other players, and I know Conroy only said this to save face on the franchise, that he only wants players who want to be in Calgary. So it all depends on Andersson re-signing or wanting to re-sign.

Conroy needs to know by the TDL who wants to stay that have options to re-sign by July 1. It seems a bit rough trying to make deals around July 1. So it's TDL or someone really wants him at the draft. 

so really, it's Coleman and possibly Andersson, and I don't know if Kadri is a piece someone would want. With the Cap gone up, his contract is tolerable.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I also think you are being a bit greedy, but I am cool with hoping.   What Might be feasible is 2026 or 2027 picks because future picks are usually discounted, and I am cool with that as they are very good drafts.  I thinks.

It would be possible but would require a full gutting.   Our top D.   Rasmus.   Other players, like Kozmenko etc.     

If a team thinks Coleman is a missing link at the TDL? Depends on how much they'd want him.

We need to know if Andersson wants to re-sign, so it's dependant on that.

combo of players might get something???  But ya, just hoping.

• Like 1

Just now, robrob74 said:

If a team thinks Coleman is a missing link at the TDL? Depends on how much they'd want him.

We need to know if Andersson wants to re-sign, so it's dependant on that.

combo of players might get something???  But ya, just hoping.

Ya it's a bit of a catch 22 because if Kuzmenko and Mantha are both 35-G scorers who can fetch a 1st at the deadline, then that means the Flames might be playoff bound.  

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya it's a bit of a catch 22 because if Kuzmenko and Mantha are both 35-G scorers who can fetch a 1st at the deadline, then that means the Flames might be playoff bound.  

Sharangovich just had 30 too.

Coleman had a career year with a bunch...

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Trading of the 30 year olds would be a good strategy all around...

Coleman, Kadri, do you squeeze a first out of that?   With salary retention?    

If they wanna ensure high draft picks just trade Rasmus

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Mantha's never hit 30 in a season not sure why this is the year he gets 35.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sak22 said:

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Quoted and bolded for clarity. The Philly-Florida trade is completed. Off the books. No longer in play. No longer relevant. 

Stop bringing up Sam O'Reilly. He's dead to me. lol

My bad for believing Flames-centric blogs.  Misinformed by bad reporting.  So we really only have to worry about FLA tanking this season and ending up top 10.  Not much worry of course.

Don't worry about Sam O.  Oilers seem to manage to screw up players that seem to be on the way to developing into NHL players.  Let me guess.  He's a London Knights player?  Only place the Oilers scout.

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

In the 60 games we may have him for.

His highest was 25 goals, which, ironically, is around the age that he began declining.

His best seasons were from 2018-2020, also years where the Wings were bottom 5 each year.  Surprising that the People didn't realize, but I guess when you don't have the lottery on your side and in consecutive years teams that should pick in the 10-15 range jump into the top 2 and 3, its easy to forget how bad a team is.

14 minutes ago, sak22 said:

His best seasons were from 2018-2020, also years where the Wings were bottom 5 each year.  Surprising that the People didn't realize, but I guess when you don't have the lottery on your side and in consecutive years teams that should pick in the 10-15 range jump into the top 2 and 3, its easy to forget how bad a team is.

I will never buy lottery tickets on my Detroit visits. lol

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Trading of the 30 year olds would be a good strategy all around...

Coleman, Kadri, do you squeeze a first out of that?   With salary retention?    

If they wanna ensure high draft picks just trade Rasmus

Trues, Andersson is our best bet to land another 1st.  RHS RD always have ballooned values at the TDL.  One additional year left at a fair cap too.

13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

In the 60 games we may have him for.

His highest was 25 goals, which, ironically, is around the age that he began declining.

the Toronto game, concussion in the fight.  followed by more concussions and now weird eardrum/balance issues.  Should send him to Crosby's guy.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/12/2024 at 9:08 PM, jjgallow said:

At this moment, I could care less about next draft.  Major changes have already been made and new faces brought in. Results could possibly range from solid playoff team to top three draft position.  Talk to me after Thanksgiving, when we’ll pretty much know where we stand.