2024 Free Agency

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't get why they are buying him out.  He's not that muuch overpaid and is still young.

That Seth Jones trade really hasn't benefitted either side.

Boqvist didn't do well with CBJ. Sillinger's only known for getting dumped by that Calgary pop star. All rests on Jiricek now.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't get why they are buying him out.  He's not that muuch overpaid and is still young.

I was thinking same, but then considered he’s a smaller D at 5’11 maybe he’s just not a fit for the team direction going forward. 

all that’s said, buying him out seems odd, seems he would be a positive trade value

22 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Seems the Oil may be looking to move Kane for cap space, 2 x 5.change if take their 2026 first and Kane’s salary if I were Conroy…

by the time Cgy is on the rise in 2 years Edm will be on the slide…solid move for Conroy to make…also Kane can help Protect our younger guys and be a veteran player to fill a RW hole in the line up.

First of all, ew...

Second, Edmonton traded their 2026 first-rounder to Philadelphia. There are conditions, of course, but they're related to whether or not it's a lottery pick, or if Edmonton trades the pick. Now, if I'm the Oilers, that pick is only getting traded if it's an excellent acquisition at the deadline. Trading it as the sweetener doesn't make any sense in my opinion.

Love.

Interesting to see what RFA’s get QO today. Calgary has the following RFA’s:

Forwards:

Dillon Dube (Arb)

Riley Damiani (Arb)

Adam Klapka (Arb)

Jakob Pelletier

Cole Schwindt

Defense:

Nikita Okhotiuk

Yan Kuznetsov

Ilya Solovyov (Arb)

Goalie:

Dustin Wolf

I doubt Dube gets a QO and Damiani might not get one, but everyone else should get a QO.

8 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

First of all, ew...

Second, Edmonton traded their 2026 first-rounder to Philadelphia. There are conditions, of course, but they're related to whether or not it's a lottery pick, or if Edmonton trades the pick. Now, if I'm the Oilers, that pick is only getting traded if it's an excellent acquisition at the deadline. Trading it as the sweetener doesn't make any sense in my opinion.

Love.

It's a crazy condition set where if they trade the 2025 pick again it slide to 2026.  Or if it's 12 or better.  I could see a dumb arse GM trading it and getting caught giving up two top 10 choices.  Because when you fly too close to the sun you get burned.

FLA came out of the SCF loss and remained the same or better.  They added or right sized to have a better team.  EDM went all in for this year and has no way of icing a better team without major overhaul and giving away candy.  They have one line or so and part of a defense.  No money to improve or even stay the same level.  Have to buy out goalie, but that was a given.  Have to lose a few players for losses to have any money to overspend again.  This may be the last year they have any cap room.  Nurse and Bouch/Douche will take up at least 17M.  Bouch/Douche followed the same path as Nurse where he scored a ton of goals and applies with McD on the ice and on PP's.  He probably gets close to $9M.  Like Nurse he was prone to extremely dumb positioning.  The only difference was Ekholm was there to make him look good.

39 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Carolina Hurricanes trade rights to forward Jake Guentzel to Tampa Bay Lightning (msn.com)

This is wild. Friedman mentioned it yesterday. TB's still all-in. Stamkos is likely gone. 

Hedman, McDonagh and Cernak are their only quality NHL D. Pretty glaring weakness there.

trade them Andersson for a first and two seconds lol

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think your underrating Porier, Soloyvov and Grusnikov. 

Quite possibly you are right, but what are they now? None has proven they are bona fide NHLers. I am all for the young ones getting opportunities when they have proven they can. I think we learned a lot from the process last year. Pospisil and Zary got a shot and never looked back, that's proper management and building a winning culture. What concerns me the most is the Monahan, Bennett, and Valmaki days, too soon too early. Injuries and improper development killed these guys. Slow and methodical when the time is right they will show everyone they're ready to make the transition. 

• Like 1

I think we need another center if possible. Wennberg, or Roslovic on short term deals would make some sense. Stephenson would be a really good pick up to play 2nd line center, but I am going to guess that he will be sought after.

I still would bring in Jost as a guy who can be a depth center and provide some leadership to the Wranglers.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Debrusk, Duclair and Sprong would all make sense as wingers. Duclair and Sprong can probably be had on short term deals. I wonder about Mantha on a short term deal.

I'm thinking Mantha might be looking for a one year deal to up his value.

He never did what WAS or VGK wanted.

One year high dollar would be a risk but only from salary side.

Big winger maybe creates some space for Sharky or Huberdeau or Zary.

I admit I only know him from stats this last few years.

He could be in for a turnaround season.

And a TDL asset to trade.

My first UFA priority is C.

Unless we can find one in a reasonable trade.

37 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Quite possibly you are right, but what are they now? None has proven they are bona fide NHLers. I am all for the young ones getting opportunities when they have proven they can. I think we learned a lot from the process last year. Pospisil and Zary got a shot and never looked back, that's proper management and building a winning culture. What concerns me the most is the Monahan, Bennett, and Valmaki days, too soon too early. Injuries and improper development killed these guys. Slow and methodical when the time is right they will show everyone they're ready to make the transition. 

they looked great! Zary and Pospisil... I think they still have to prove they can do it every year, but agree, that's how development needs to happen.

edited in:

I agree with the process, that some guys we threw in to the NHL back then when we could have developed them more. I was one that thought just because Monahan and Bennett could  play some ways in the NHL they did... but they needed a bit of a slower route to round out their games. 

I just read Eric Francis' article.

Ok, apparently Marchessault is Huberdeau's buddy. could he be had on a 4 year term? 

He mentions Duclair as well. 

a name he questioned was Giordano... be kind of interesting if he ends his career here and transitions into the front office. I don't want it, but then thinking of a guy who could be a player in the role of Player Development to mentor the kids on professionalism's. 

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Let's do Debrusk, Marcheseault, and a D... 

Marshmallow is gonna get paid.

Was underpaid for his time in VGK.

His new deal is the reason they can't afford him.

For this team at the start of last season it would have made sense.

In two years it may make sense.

If we did a one year deal with the understanding he was going to a cup fave.....

I diybt he wants that.  He is looking for the payday he never got.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Columbus buying out Boqvist. I would be looking at him in free agency. 

good age range but I think the wrong type of defender for Calgary. They can move the puck from the back end but they don’t defend well. Unfortunately Boqvist just adds to that problem 

38 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I just read Eric Francis' article.

Ok, apparently Marchessault is Huberdeau's buddy. could he be had on a 4 year term? 

He mentions Duclair as well. 

a name he questioned was Giordano... be kind of interesting if he ends his career here and transitions into the front office. I don't want it, but then thinking of a guy who could be a player in the role of Player Development to mentor the kids on professionalism's. 

Don't give any term.  2 years max.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

and no one is suggesting hand them all spots. But signing multiple veterans for 2-3 play years to block the spot I don’t think it smart either. 

there’s a middle ground 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

and no one is suggesting hand them all spots. But signing multiple veterans for 2-3 play years to block the spot I don’t think it smart either. 

there’s a middle ground 

Ya agreed.  I think tmac70 is too focused on winning games and protecting the confidence of Wolf.  

IMO, we aren't winning with or without the 4-vets... We will just lose 1-goal games instead of 2-to-3-goals.  But we still going to lose a lot.

Open the roster spot and dangle the carrot.

If we didn't have Vladar, I'd be interested.

What confuses me, we just traded Mangiapane to create a top9 spot for a young guy (Coronato or Pelletier).  And now we have on the wing

Huberdeau - Sharangovich

Kuzmenko - Pospisil

Coleman - ?

Why would we add a couple of top9 wingers in FA? That doesn't really make sense to me, unless we trade another winger.