Stanley Cup Final

41 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I love how romantic people are about the old core now.  I actually in a sad way find it karma, people complained about the core being not good enough from 2019-2021, now its all gone, people got their wish the grass isn't greener and a couple players are now champions.  Tkachuk went to a place with one of the best C's in the league, lets not pretend that giving him a different letter and contract would bring Florida's success here.  And Monahan was never at Barkov's level.

I thought that was when they should have traded some of them. The only thing that was consistent was the inconsistency and they were a one year in and a year out team and when they were in they shut Johnny down and it shut the Flames down. I didn't see them as a Cup team without changes. The Flames had a hard time filling holes and when they thought they did, they didn't perform. I just wanted them to get something for Johnny... 

It is recent, so I get many want to move on, but there are a couple of guys on the Panthers that used to be Flames players, so there are going to be comparisons, and if anything, hoping management uses some of the history to build on their philosophy to improve how they do things. 

1 hour ago, medatswhoP said:

McCrybaby being dissed in the News a fair bit this morning for not accepting the Conn-trophy. (0-pts) in game seven, most ice time and only 2 shots on net it shouldn't have been his anyway.

Classless i.m.o.  accepting it would be an honor still to both his team mates regardless of an individual award after-all its still a "team game" win or lose.  Reasons like this makes me dislike them more.

In the heat of battle I can understand it.  I think it may have been more classy to go and accept it, but I can understand the argument to not go there.  His parents were expecting him to go.  I some ways it shortchanged the fans at the game.  But it's not the most important thing to even win.  It shows you had a great playoffs, but as the losing team it means nothing.  

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Both Gaudreau and Tkachuk wanted long term and obviously, more money.  BT settled on shorter term and less money thinking within that window, the Flames could use the cap savings to fill out the roster and win a Cup.  What's sad is BT used the cap savings on Brouwer, Neal, etc.  And then years later, BT pivots to trying to sign Gaudreau long term but Gaudreau opted to go UFA.

Tkachuk wanted to be captain.  Had Tkachuk been named captain after Gio left, then there's a good chance Tkachuk is still here.

Almost zero IMO. The captaincy was a media driven thing but I honestly don't believe it was a factor at all. It's a simple as Tkachuk wanting to be in the US.

Think we also forget, Treliving was praised at the time for keeping the dollars reasonable. Now he's vilified because for reasons outside his control, players left. 

I agree with learning lessons, Brouwer being the biggest, but let's learn lessons not live in hindsight bias. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, medatswhoP said:

McCrybaby being dissed in the News a fair bit this morning for not accepting the Conn-trophy. (0-pts) in game seven, most ice time and only 2 shots on net it shouldn't have been his anyway.

Classless i.m.o.  accepting it would be an honor still to both his team mates regardless of an individual award after-all its still a "team game" win or lose.  Reasons like this makes me dislike them more.

Trust me I hate the Coilers as much as anyone else. Frantkly I wouldn't have went to get it either. One you just lost the biggest game of your life for the hardest trophy to win, Winning that means absolutely nothing. Secondly, it was Florida's time to celebrate not his, I would have lost more respect for him had he gone out to get personally.

Just now, cross16 said:

Almost zero IMO. The captaincy was a media driven thing but I honestly don't believe it was a factor at all. It's a simple as Tkachuk wanting to be in the US.

Think we also forget, Treliving was praised at the time for keeping the dollars reasonable. Now he's vilified because for reasons outside his control, players left. 

I agree with learning lessons, Brouwer being the biggest, but let's learn lessons not live in hindsight bias. 

I hope we can just let those dogs lay at some point.  They are not here.  Neal and Lucic both gone.  Brouwer gone.  Monahan gone.  

I miss the water-bug skating of Gaudreau and the general pest/scoring of Tkachuk.  We lost the creativity.  Tkachuk was selfish in his antics some nights.  Bennett was frustrating to watch some nights.  Monahan was a nice guy you wanted to have a better end here for.  

We could have all of those guys and still not have close to enough to win the cup.  Missing a #1C.  Our D was good but unable to shut down speed at times.  Markstrom was good for one series and not so good for another.  We didn't have a coach that adjusted.  Nuff said.

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

You think?  Brady was captain in OTT so I think Matthews wanted to be captain as well.  He was never going to be captain in FLA.  

But it's part of a combination of disrespect.  The whole Muzzin/Gio thing where Gio had to sit Tkachuk down and tell him the team doesn't have his back every shift of every game, etc.  and BT not locking up Tkachuk long term when many teams did so with their young players... And then not naming Tkachuk the captain after Gio left.  It all adds up.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You think?  Brady was captain in OTT so I think Matthews wanted to be captain as well.  He was never going to be captain in FLA.  

But it's part of a combination of disrespect.  The whole Muzzin/Gio thing where Gio had to sit Tkachuk down and tell him the team doesn't have his back every shift of every game, etc.  and BT not locking up Tkachuk long term when many teams did so with their young players... And then not naming Tkachuk the captain after Gio left.  It all adds up.

If the captaincy was so important to him why did he want to be traded to Florida where he wasn't going to be the captain? In fact every destination he asked for had an establish captain.

You can always make things add up when you buy into a a conspiracy type logic. Look at it logically and I think you'll find just how many holes there are in that idea. 

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

IMHo there were multiple factors in their wanting to leave, Sutter mentioned Covid not being able to see family, and being lonely. I for one was not a Trevling fan, but will give credit to him in some areas. If you look at the players he drafted or traded for how many not only played in this year's playoffs but were effective players it is quite a long list. Lindholm, Matthew, Tanev, Bennett, Big Z, Monahan, Fox( they did draft him), Hanifin, may have forgotten some but these were guys a few years back that were all on this club. Many will blame the coach, others the GM, and some the players. However this club for some reason couldn't get it to gel. 

Matthew leaving was a hard blow, but the way he left was classy. He allowed the club to recoup some assets for him as he left. In that trade, I thought Jeesh won that trade by a landslide, but in CGY fashion it's been a failure, to say the least. IMHO what FLA didn't see in Hubie and Weegar they gained with Matthew. Strange how Matthew drags you into the battle FLA relished it, our club didn't back when Chucky was first coming up. 

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hope we can just let those dogs lay at some point.  They are not here.  Neal and Lucic both gone.  Brouwer gone.  Monahan gone.  

I miss the water-bug skating of Gaudreau and the general pest/scoring of Tkachuk.  We lost the creativity.  Tkachuk was selfish in his antics some nights.  Bennett was frustrating to watch some nights.  Monahan was a nice guy you wanted to have a better end here for.  

We could have all of those guys and still not have close to enough to win the cup.  Missing a #1C.  Our D was good but unable to shut down speed at times.  Markstrom was good for one series and not so good for another.  We didn't have a coach that adjusted.  Nuff said.

Agreed.  I get seeing some of those guys lift the cup makes us think what could have been but honestly what was here wasn't going to be good enough. Give the Flames back Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Bennett and I still don't think they stack up to Colorado, Dallas, Edm or Florida.

As Sak said, many got what they wanted and a new core is on it's way so let's focus on that. If we want to discus lessons learned then let's do it, but the conversation tends to lead to a a bit of conspiracy style stories that don't really serve much purpose. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Actually, I think I’m one of very few people that said:

1.Sign Chucky long term

2. we will regret moving Monahan

3. we will regret moving Bennett 

4. we should have traded JH a season or two before he bolted

5. we should have him hard after Reinhart 

6. We should have gone hard after Stone 

of those my only miss was Stone…that’s one that would have been a bad move due to injuries…cause unlike LVK…Cgy don’t circumvent the cap.

anyway that’s all in the past time to push forward.  So with that in mind…let’s see how I do over the the next 5-7 years…

1. Draft Tij and groom him to be the next Captain, he’s the guy to be the face of the franchise in 3-4 years but don’t rush him or hold him back just let him do his thing, much how they did with Monahan and Chucky.

2. move Hubie even at a loss and retention, long term gain for short term pain…too much for too little.  Nice guy seems to have a strong work

ethics but he’s like oil in water here…maybe a hockey trade or just bite the bullet and use a draft pick and eat salary either way not a fit now or later.

3. Trade  Manji…love the guy and if we still had the majority of the old core I would say keep, but he’s not a fit moving forward and not what we want in a veteran leader in 3-4 years.

4. Trade Weegar, as much as I love the guy, if we were 3-4 years ahead of where we are now I’d be saying make him the team C…unfortunately he’s too old to keep as a vet in 2-3 years from now.

5. Keep Anderson, he’s the veteran D in 2-3 years perfect age and as good a D as you want to have as a key leader moving forward.

6. Trade Kadri, simply put we are holding him back from another cup run and he won’t get that here…gotta do good for the player sometimes and this is that one…I feel Ott would be a great spot for him.

7. Re-up Kuzy and Shar both are perfect to be leaders in 3-4 years.

8. Trade Backlund, in the last year of his new deal, send him to a contender much like kadri…now with that he’s not a good leader too soft, he needs to up before the young guys start taking regular time on the roster.  I have always said Backlund is a great 3rd line C good enough to long stints on 2nd line when needed but he’s not a 2nd line Ctr and on the same note he’s not a great C but a great A for sure, I kind like him to Bumble Bee in the transforms great foot soldier and can fill in as 2nd in command, likeable but just not the #1 guy.  Now though, he’s a bit on the slower side age is catching up still a reasonable 3rd liner but not for the $$$ on a 2 year deal, so moving him at TDL to a contender makes sense for him and the team in 2 years.

9. Coleman, send him to Dal let

him have a crack at the cup…

5 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

of those my only miss was Stone…that’s one that would have been a bad move due to injuries…cause unlike LVK…Cgy don’t circumvent the cap.

Pretty sure he wasn't signing here, so no it wasn't really a miss.  Maybe he makes a difference in 2019 playoffs, but hard to believe him alone gets the team the cup.

One thing about McDavid accepting the award, he could have congratulated the Oilers for winning the Cup and sharing just how hard it is to win, knowing he just lost it, and he could have addressed the fans and congratulated them too. 

It doesn't surprise me that he will get vilified for it as he is a bit of a cry baby anyway, many of the Oilers are, yet they're one of the cheaper teams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

1.Sign Chucky long term

anyway that’s all in the past time to push forward.  So with that in mind…let’s see how I do over the the next 5-7 years…

1. Draft Tij and groom him to be the next Captain, he’s the guy to be the face of the franchise in 3-4 years but don’t rush him or hold him back just let him do his thing, much how they did with Monahan and Chucky.

2. move Hubie even at a loss and retention, long term gain for short term pain…too much for too little.  Nice guy seems to have a strong work

ethics but he’s like oil in water here…maybe a hockey trade or just bite the bullet and use a draft pick and eat salary either way not a fit now or later.

3. Trade  Manji…love the guy and if we still had the majority of the old core I would say keep, but he’s not a fit moving forward and not what we want in a veteran leader in 3-4 years.

4. Trade Weegar, as much as I love the guy, if we were 3-4 years ahead of where we are now I’d be saying make him the team C…unfortunately he’s too old to keep as a vet in 2-3 years from now.

5. Keep Anderson, he’s the veteran D in 2-3 years perfect age and as good a D as you want to have as a key leader moving forward.

6. Trade Kadri, simply put we are holding him back from another cup run and he won’t get that here…gotta do good for the player sometimes and this is that one…I feel Ott would be a great spot for him.

8. Trade Backlund, in the last year of his new deal, send him to a contender much like kadri…now with that he’s not a good leader too soft, he needs to up before the young guys start taking regular time on the roster.  I have always said Backlund is a great 3rd line C good enough to long stints on 2nd line when needed but he’s not a 2nd line Ctr and on the same note he’s not a great C but a great A for sure, I kind like him to Bumble Bee in the transforms great foot soldier and can fill in as 2nd in command, likeable but just not the #1 guy.  Now though, he’s a bit on the slower side age is catching up still a reasonable 3rd liner but not for the $$$ on a 2 year deal, so moving him at TDL to a contender makes sense for him and the team in 2 years.

Sounds like a good and reasonable plan.  I would be tempted to keep Weegar and trade Anderson, though your thoughts re age are correct.  👍 That would be 6 new vet moves this year, between today and TDL.

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

1.Sign Chucky long term

I don't regret moving Monahan, only that we gave up a 1st rounder to move him. I'd have moved him and Johnny sooner, but, I'd also have liked the Flames to have tried Johnny and Tkachuk, or Tkachuk and Bennett earlier. 

38 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

One thing about McDavid accepting the award, he could have congratulated the Oilers for winning the Cup and sharing just how hard it is to win, knowing he just lost it, and he could have addressed the fans and congratulated them too. 

It doesn't surprise me that he will get vilified for it as he is a bit of a cry baby anyway, many of the Oilers are, yet they're one of the cheaper teams. 

Sounds like taking the spotlight before they bring out the Cup.  I think it's dumb to even award it to a member of the losing team.  How are you the MVP if you lost?  They don't want it.  They came for another cup and would only be okay if they won it as well.  If anything, the only reason they made it to the finals and game 7 was Skinner.  Not entirely accurate, but he saved their bacon and allowed a goal to stand as the winner in 15 games.  Even a 8-1 game meant that you stopped enough to allow the other team to make desperate plays.

Anyway, I don't like the guy myself.  I don't think much different about him as a result.    

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I don't regret moving Monahan, only that we gave up a 1st rounder to move him. I'd have moved him and Johnny sooner, but, I'd also have liked the Flames to have tried Johnny and Tkachuk, or Tkachuk and Bennett earlier. 

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think Bennett and Tkachuk only work with certain players.  Tkachuk worked with JG because he was able to control the play for most of the shift with his zone entries and creativity.  Then again it's almost impossible to say what we would look like with the 3 ex Flames.  Maybe Tkachuk would have developed differently with Bennett.  

Lost in the Tkachuk, Bennett and Lomberg winning, Matthew Phillips also won the Calder Cup last night, didn't factor much into the Bears postseason but good for him winning a championship.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

If the captaincy was so important to him why did he want to be traded to Florida where he wasn't going to be the captain? In fact every destination he asked for had an establish captain.

You can always make things add up when you buy into a a conspiracy type logic. Look at it logically and I think you'll find just how many holes there are in that idea. 

Again, cumulation of everything.  He wasn't going to be captain here anyways along with all the other stuff with BT playing hardball with star players, etc.  So, may as well go somewhere with nicer weather where he ain't going to be captain anyways but there's a better chance to win the Cup.

All I'm saying is, if he was already the captain, then I think there's a good chance he's still here.  I'm not saying the only reason he left was because he wasn't captain.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think Bennett and Tkachuk only work with certain players.  Tkachuk worked with JG because he was able to control the play for most of the shift with his zone entries and creativity.  Then again it's almost impossible to say what we would look like with the 3 ex Flames.  Maybe Tkachuk would have developed differently with Bennett.  

That one time Lucic - Bennett - Dube was our best line in the playoffs, they didn't stick with it.  We never gave Bennett any consistency.  It was the opposite of what you should do if you wanted to develop a kid properly.  Just kept tossing him around the lineup and gave him no security.  Changing his role on the team every month.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Again, cumulation of everything.  He wasn't going to be captain here anyways along with all the other stuff with BT playing hardball with star players, etc.  So, may as well go somewhere with nicer weather where he ain't going to be captain anyways but there's a better chance to win the Cup.

All I'm saying is, if he was already the captain, then I think there's a good chance he's still here.  I'm not saying the only reason he left was because he wasn't captain.

Hindsight is such a fickle female dog most times.

Tbh , chuckys story is the only one I actually believed . He was serious end of season when he said he saw himself being back.. then he chatted with teams during the legal tampering period and realized he was making a decision on the long term prime years of his career. We see how he loves his family.  He's an American .. he made a life decision . To Me it was never about Calgary .it was about the nesting to be close to where he wants to live his life .. he didn't choose Florida ..he merely told Tre that was one place he'd choose ..and why not? Upcoming team.. live in Florida .. 

Could we have extended him longer before ?  Sure ..only to have time leave when his trade value was likely much lower and he was older . Hate that he made that decision but I fully respect and tip my cap to how he handled it .. 

People forget . Just one year before people , fans , experts ,  were concerned we'd be saddled having to qualify him at $9M ..and nobody considered him a $9m player ..he hit a new level that final year ..

Johnny . Sure could have just given him his $10m the season before ...who was gonna do that ??? Let's be serious here .. he was about as bad as he's looked in Columbus and they're hating that contract right now 

Interested to see what the full list of injuries ends up looking like.

I’ve seen reports that Draisaitl had some broken fingers and broken ribs. McDavid has an abdominal injury that may require surgery. Not sure the credibility of the reports. The Draisaitl injuries check out though, there was a shot of him on the bench with fingers taped together. The rib injury was said to be in game 1 against the Canucks. That was also the game he left for a while in pain after taking a hit. 

Something that I feel often gets overlooked when teams make these deep playoff runs, is the recovery for the players. When you have to rehab an injury all summer, you’re just trying to get healthy again, you can’t train or address anything to improve your game in the coming season. Another reason why it’s so hard to get to this point in the season.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

That one time Lucic - Bennett - Dube was our best line in the playoffs, they didn't stick with it.  We never gave Bennett any consistency.  It was the opposite of what you should do if you wanted to develop a kid properly.  Just kept tossing him around the lineup and gave him no security.  Changing his role on the team every month.

I think there is a round where a scrub line looks like your best line.

Genius or just circumstance.

It reminds me of Janmark and Holloway etc.

Were the Oilers best players on certain nights.

But that was maybe FLA underplayed them and gave them space.

Or fell too often.

I agree that the coaching carosel worked against some players.

But he was wildly inconsistent.

And got in the doghouse taking dumb penalties.

He never drew them.

I think he saw himself as Gilmore and was not tough or talented enough to fit that role.

I dunno at this point.  We either remember the good or the bad or the Lomberg.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Hindsight is such a fickle female dog most times.

Tbh , chuckys story is the only one I actually believed . He was serious end of season when he said he saw himself being back.. then he chatted with teams during the legal tampering period and realized he was making a decision on the long term prime years of his career. We see how he loves his family.  He's an American .. he made a life decision . To Me it was never about Calgary .it was about the nesting to be close to where he wants to live his life .. he didn't choose Florida ..he merely told Tre that was one place he'd choose ..and why not? Upcoming team.. live in Florida .. 

Could we have extended him longer before ?  Sure ..only to have time leave when his trade value was likely much lower and he was older . Hate that he made that decision but I fully respect and tip my cap to how he handled it .. 

People forget . Just one year before people , fans , experts ,  were concerned we'd be saddled having to qualify him at $9M ..and nobody considered him a $9m player ..he hit a new level that final year ..

Johnny . Sure could have just given him his $10m the season before ...who was gonna do that ??? Let's be serious here .. he was about as bad as he's looked in Columbus and they're hating that contract right now 

That's all aside from the fact I think he would've stayed if he was captain.  

It's probably meant to be that he left at the end of the day.  But I'm just saying.

In fact, we should've gave Gaudreau and Tkachuk the max term 8-years the moment we had the chance.  Pay for potential.  That's the way to do it for a small market team. 

OTT was doing it right if you ask me.  They hit Tkachuk, Stuztle, Chabot, and Sanderson with 8-year deals with only 1-year of stats.  Doesn't mean Gaudreau or Tkachuk leave eventually but at least we get max term from them.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

That's all aside from the fact I think he would've stayed if he was captain.  

It's probably meant to be that he left at the end of the day.  But I'm just saying.

In fact, we should've gave Gaudreau and Tkachuk the max term 8-years the moment we had the chance.  Pay for potential.  That's the way to do it for a small market team. 

OTT was doing it right if you ask me.  They hit Tkachuk, Stuztle, Chabot, and Sanderson with 8-year deals with only 1-year of stats.  Doesn't mean Gaudreau or Tkachuk leave eventually but at least we get max term from them.

But I mean , was he captain material at the time ? Monahan was still here ..but on ir.. I think that's the real reason Sutter never named one ..cuz Monahan was his guy.. 

In all hindsight I believe it was Johnny that lit the fuse .. saw him decide to (in his mind ) put family first and pull the plug..made him think what his options were .. but he took the high road and let the team maximize his departure 

There's been rumors and speculation , but no facts... If we could ever find out what really went down in that TO dressing room after the puck flip incident we'd have a way better idea what went into everyone's decision 

Another rumor was we could have closed the Eichel dewl by including Tkachuk and /or Johnny.. even not knowing the future , we erred not pulling the trigger there 

8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

But I mean , was he captain material at the time ? Monahan was still here ..but on ir.. I think that's the real reason Sutter never named one ..cuz Monahan was his guy.. 

In all hindsight I believe it was Johnny that lit the fuse .. saw him decide to (in his mind ) put family first and pull the plug..made him think what his options were .. but he took the high road and let the team maximize his departure 

There's been rumors and speculation , but no facts... If we could ever find out what really went down in that TO dressing room after the puck flip incident we'd have a way better idea what went into everyone's decision 

Another rumor was we could have closed the Eichel dewl by including Tkachuk and /or Johnny.. even not knowing the future , we erred not pulling the trigger there 

IMO, and from what I've heard by people I trust, Tkachuk was offered in the Eichel deal. The Knights countered by including Tuch and that is the player the Sabres really wanted because the Sabres didn't think Tkachuk would stay with them long term. Why the whole captain thing doesn't make sense because there were already rumblings behind the scenes that Tkachuk wants wanting to pick his next destination.

The Flames were leverage in the Eichel deal. They tried hard and they offered probably the better package but it didn't include what the Sabres truly wanted. 

• Like 1