Stanley Cup Final

The East and West playoffs are over. Probably time for a SCF thread.

I think this is a nightmare final for Flames fans. 

Should be a really good final. Florida is playing some incredible hockey. They’ve just ran into some incredible goaltending.

If Florida can score on the PP. I like their chances. The 94% penalty kill is the biggest reason Edmonton is still playing. I think the advantage goes to Florida at 5 on 5.

• Like 1

I'm still a fan of Bennett.  And Tkachuk left us professionally unlike Gaudreau.  And we got good value return for trading Tkachuk.  I don't hold any grudges there.

If I had to pick a team to cheer for then I'm cheering for FLA to win.

It's an interesting series to look at.  I don think florida has played better hockey in the playoffs because I don't think i've seen a team make it to the finals quite like the Oilers have (as in not actually playing that great). But a few interesting things to me:

This it he first time in the playoffs the OIlers are going to play a team that can match their high end skill. McDavid, Drasaitl and Bouchard have been head and shoulders above every team but I don't think that's the case with Tkachuk - Barkov - Ekblad. 

I think both teams have excellent top 6s but forward depth is only ok. Small edge Florida there I'd say. 

Both are not the deepest on D but I do think Florida has a slight edge here. 

I'd normally save Bob over Skinner easily but both have had their ups and downs in the playoffs. Not sure there is a clera edge here. 

I think I give Florida the edge because I think what Dallas wasn't able to do, forecheck hard and wear down Oilers D, is what Florida excells at. I agree with Brewcrew that as long as Florida's doesn't take a huge L in the special teams column I do think they win this series but I wouldn't say i'm overly confident about it. 

I'm for sure cheering for Florida though. I have no issues with the players that left and would happily watch them all raise the cup. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's an interesting series to look at.  I don think florida has played better hockey in the playoffs because I don't think i've seen a team make it to the finals quite like the Oilers have (as in not actually playing that great). But a few interesting things to me:

This it he first time in the playoffs the OIlers are going to play a team that can match their high end skill. McDavid, Drasaitl and Bouchard have been head and shoulders above every team but I don't think that's the case with Tkachuk - Barkov - Ekblad. 

I think both teams have excellent top 6s but forward depth is only ok. Small edge Florida there I'd say. 

Both are not the deepest on D but I do think Florida has a slight edge here. 

I'd normally save Bob over Skinner easily but both have had their ups and downs in the playoffs. Not sure there is a clera edge here. 

I think I give Florida the edge because I think what Dallas wasn't able to do, forecheck hard and wear down Oilers D, is what Florida excells at. I agree with Brewcrew that as long as Florida's doesn't take a huge L in the special teams column I do think they win this series but I wouldn't say i'm overly confident about it. 

I'm for sure cheering for Florida though. I have no issues with the players that left and would happily watch them all raise the cup. 

I think Florida has sneaky good D depth.

Gustav forsling in particular has been great for them and they have Montour and Ekblad as well.

3 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Gustav forsling in particular has been great for them and they have Montour and Ekblad as well.

Fair. I've liked Mikkola in the games i've watched too. 

To give context I think more in terms of what you normally see in the finals I think the depth/quality isn't as great but your right they've had some players step up. OEL too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I am trying to think of what EDM D do well.  Score on the PP.

On the PK, it seems to be a lot more of the F pressuring the other team.

Notably, I have been wrong in most of my predictions, except for FLA.

Hard to cheer for a team that has Kane and Perry.

Assuming I would ever cheer for the Oilers.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Let's hope Perry continues the trend of Cup Final losses 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They clog up the neutral zone/middle of the ice, keep everything outside and they've been really efficient at getting pucks to open areas and being in a good spot to exit the zone. 

It's really simple, but they are playing it well. 

Barkov is my fave NHL player, Lomberg also, for different reasons. One is undeniably the best all-around player, and remarkably humble. The other had to fight his way in with every fibre and an absolute firecracker attitude-wise.

They can win, begrudgingly. I don't like Tkachuk or Bennett, whether they were Flames or not.

But I love those 2 and have tons of respect.

So that's it. No skin in the game, don't really care. Quite a few buddies out there are lifelong Oilers fans, so I'd be happy for them.

What I think will happen is McDavid and Draisaitl are going to be having nightmares about Barkov's stellar game with and away from the puck. Dude is every coach's wet dream.

33 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Barkov is my fave NHL player, Lomberg also, for different reasons. One is undeniably the best all-around player, and remarkably humble. The other had to fight his way in with every fibre and an absolute firecracker attitude-wise.

They can win, begrudgingly. I don't like Tkachuk or Bennett, whether they were Flames or not.

But I love those 2 and have tons of respect.

So that's it. No skin in the game, don't really care. Quite a few buddies out there are lifelong Oilers fans, so I'd be happy for them.

What I think will happen is McDavid and Draisaitl are going to be having nightmares about Barkov's stellar game with and away from the puck. Dude is every coach's wet dream.

This is a fair assessment of Barkov.

He is quietly this generation's Bergeron with more offensive flair. 

Big fan as well.

All I can say is what is with the schedule 2 days for each travel period, I guess it doesn't help that the NBA also has too many 2 day breaks and they don't want to play on the same day, but so many days where neither will be playing.  Can't they just end this lousy season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sak22 said:

All I can say is what is with the schedule 2 days for each travel period, I guess it doesn't help that the NBA also has too many 2 day breaks and they don't want to play on the same day, but so many days where neither will be playing.  Can't they just end this lousy season.

Exactly. A 7 game series would end 3 days before the draft. I will be at beach parties. lol We don't bring TVs to beach parties.

41 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Another interesting thing about this series is it's going to be the furthest distance travelled in NHL history. It's the most southern based team against the most northern based team. 

So the 2 day travel period makes sense to me. 

• Like 1

Fla wins, Bettman will not let a Canadian based team win, no need for a Canadian team to win cause Canadians are hockey fans for life, USA teams need to win to keep the fan bases and revenues up.

guarantee shades of 2004 for the Oil in 2024…wait for it… 

51 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Fla wins, Bettman will not let a Canadian based team win, no need for a Canadian team to win cause Canadians are hockey fans for life, USA teams need to win to keep the fan bases and revenues up.

guarantee shades of 2004 for the Oil in 2024…wait for it… 

Wait... do you suppose that it was Bettman that injured Dwayne Roloson in 2006?

Will Gary be lacing them up to thwart McDavid?

Love.

• Haha 3

No matter how upset I am at Tkachuk for leaving Calgary, I still can't cheer for the Oilers.

At best, this is probably the second last chance for Edmonton to win the Stanley Cup with their current core, and even that is very iffy.

They're still stuck with another 3 seasons of Campbell at $5M per and another of Neal's Buy-Out at $1.9M.

The Oilers have 10 UFAs and 2 RFAs that need new contracts for 2024/2025.

Granted, it is only the bottom 40% of their roster, but Edmonton will need to sign at least 9 players with only $9.7M in Cap Space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

No matter how upset I am at Tkachuk for leaving Calgary, I still can't cheer for the Oilers.

At best, this is probably the second last chance for Edmonton to win the Stanley Cup with their current core, and even that is very iffy.

They're still stuck with another 3 seasons of Campbell at $5M per and another of Neal's Buy-Out at $1.9M.

The Oilers have 10 UFAs and 2 RFAs that need new contracts for 2024/2025.

Granted, it is only the bottom 40% of their roster, but Edmonton will need to sign at least 9 players with only $9.7M in Cap Space.

I agree. It’s so hard to get to the finals. It’s even harder to get back. Speaking objectively, Edmonton better make good on this opportunity. They don’t come around that often.

Florida getting to the final in consecutive years is really impressive. Hard to do. I look at a Colorado. Incredible team, they’ve only got to the final once with that core. Same with Ovi and the Caps.

Back to the Oilers. I think they buy out Campbell. Six years of dead cap. They have not drafted well at all and they’re really going to feel the effects of that. Because they traded Reid Schaefer less than a year after picking him, they’re essentially going three seasons without a 1st round pick. It doesn’t matter if they win 4 more games, but if they don’t there’s gonna be some attrition. You need young players on ELC. Draisaitl will be getting 15m. Bouchard is a year away. He’s going to get 10 at least. They bridged him and he’s exploded. He has zero reason to take less than Nurse.

3 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Wait... do you suppose that it was Bettman that injured Dwayne Roloson in 2006?

Will Gary be lacing them up to thwart McDavid?

Love.

Lol but no, the officiating will be slanted…maybe even another non goal that’s clearly a goal…wit form it…

35 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Lol but no, the officiating will be slanted…maybe even another non goal that’s clearly a goal…wit form it…

There isn’t a commissioner in any sport who would fix to have a final with Florida over New York, even Dallas over Edmonton.  Last year’s final wasn’t a great ratings success for the league and this likely won’t be either outside of Canada.   The league would always take better ratings over appeasing the biggest bandwagon market North America.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The Edmonton Oilers are now "Canada's Team". It's official. TSN and Sportsnet experts tell me so.

I am really hating this angle. The cup lives in Canada full time why the heck should we care if a "Canadian team" wins it?

The national angle to this is stupid. No Boston Pizza I am not going to go and have a beer with Oiler fans to "try something different" so a Canadian team might win a cup. who the heck cares. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I am really hating this angle. The cup lives in Canada full time why the heck should we care if a "Canadian team" wins it?

The national angle to this is stupid. No Boston Pizza I am not going to go and have a beer with Oiler fans to "try something different" so a Canadian team might win a cup. who the heck cares. 

What bugs me about those commercials is they exclude 2004, 2006 and 2007 but have Toronto 2002 conference finals and Edmonton 2017's 2nd round (weird that that one is more painful than 2006).  I think people need help if they are damaging their tv's after games to begin with but more so it is only 2nd or 3rd round.  

In '04 I remember being pissed that Calgary became "Canada's Team." As Flames fans we lived through the rough times, cheered them either way. I was a fan who loved they had a no die attitude, tried all the time. I didn't fully go into a critical fan until about 5 years after '04. But the fans who didn't live or die with the team, I felt didn't deserve to be a part of the glory we had to wait patiently for. 

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

In '04 I remember being pissed that Calgary became "Canada's Team." As Flames fans we lived through the rough times, cheered them either way. I was a fan who loved they had a no die attitude, tried all the time. I didn't fully go into a critical fan until about 5 years after '04. But the fans who didn't live or die with the team, I felt didn't deserve to be a part of the glory we had to wait patiently for. 

What I didn't mind about the '04 Flames, or the '06 Oilers being "Canada's Team" is that they were both underdogs, both likeable, and legitimate hard-working lunch-pail teams. I could get behind that.

That said, the '11 Canucks, and the '24 Oilers are contemptible at best. I also refuse to go drink beer with Oilers fans at Boston Pizza. I like Chucky, and Benny, and I'd rather they win the Cup. Maybe the correct protest would be to arrive at the pub in my #19 Flames jersey.

Love.

• Like 1