Western Conference Playoffs

conundrumed

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Dallas is so well constructed. Hintz being back is huge for them. Edmonton's played really well, can't take that away from them. When it was 2-0, all I could think was, "yeah, get ready for Dallas".

Just a really deep, well-coached team. So many options of who might be the scoring threat. They start running around in the O-zone being total chaos, you lose coverage.

I'm not sure how the Oilers, Rangers or Panthers can stop them in the O-zone when they're going. They've had, like, 12 almost goals out of chaos and jamming the net alone.

It's crazy how good they are. Also, sad that it looks like they'll be this for a few years. Stupid pinnacles.

Hate the Oilers all you want, but that Blockchaining team, jesus christ. They're everyone's problem.

I couldn't believe Dallas the start of the second period. There is not a team that could stop them the way they played in the first 10/15 min of the second. They were flying and Edm. had no response until they slowed the game down. Dallas could very well win the cup this year.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I couldn't believe Dallas the start of the second period. There is not a team that could stop them the way they played in the first 10/15 min of the second. They were flying and Edm. had no response until they slowed the game down. Dallas could very well win the cup this year.

If they continue that the first period tonight we’ll certainly see Mcdavid go into maniac mode and the coach overplaying his top guns, as per usual.  That is not a successful strategy and one of the main reasons Oilers can’t break through.  It’s a team game, what are the rest of the guys doing?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sak22 said:

Well the problem for them is basically tick tock, if not this year they have 12 million (assuming Campbell is bought out) and only have 7-5-1 signed for next season, then its only 1 more cheap year of Bouchard and decisions to make on Leon if he doesn't extend, and not much coming up for them.  I give them credit for how they've played this year, but a lot of the window got wasted before they realized they needed to change. 

I knew it was bad, but boy howdy that is really bad.  Time for Kenny to take his mess elsewhere.  They could buy out Soup but then they have 13m to sign 7F, 2D and 1G.  Can't afford the guys that they gave up a first for.

There was so much time left at 2-0, but Dallas had Edmonton on the ropes. They let them back off the mat. The first oilers goal was a really poor rebound surrendered by Oettinger.

The PP for Dallas is so bad. Gave up the go ahead goal. It may cost them game four 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would have expected a really good effort from Dallas tonight but nope. They slept through that period. 

Could easily win this game but their so hot and cold. 

Tanev injury doesn’t help, but agree, they are losing the skating battle and not getting much offensive push.  At the same time, Edmonton playing a solid, balanced game…

18 minutes ago, cberg said:

Tanev injury doesn’t help, but agree, they are losing the skating battle and not getting much offensive push.  At the same time, Edmonton playing a solid, balanced game…

The Oilers have been the better team in this series 

This game might cost Dallas the series. Edm has been giving them fits all series and save for about 2 periods have been the better team. 

I’d be worried if I were a stars fan.

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

This game might cost Dallas the series. Edm has been giving them fits all series and save for about 2 periods have been the better team. 

I’d be worried if I were a stars fan.

It’s been pretty even, as the 2-2 results indicate.  If Tanev is out, that is a huge blow.  Seeing as Dallas was favoured, kudos to Edmonton.

Dallas depth will be tested if Tanev is out, I don't know who the next man up is its surprising as is to see this much of Petrovic.  Oilers really shut them down once they tied it, and a lot of self inflicted wounds on Dallas side, Suter running over his goalie for the first goal really changed the tide in the game.  Dallas needs to turn this around otherwise the cup will either be won by the Flames biggest rivals or 2 players who took an enormous crap on the organization.  

18 minutes ago, sak22 said:

the cup will either be won by the Flames biggest rivals or 2 players who took an enormous crap on the organization.  

As George Carlin would say, "when my beer nuts turn to cotton balls..."

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I hope DAL wins the Cup so we have more proof that drafting #1 overall is not required to win the Cup.  FLA and EDM went through hardcore full rebuilds.  NYR won the lottery to draft Lafreniere.

And Edmonton didn't?  You sure they would be in the same spot now with Dylan Strome or Mitch Marner instead of McDavid?

Florida did draft high, but thats also not a team design that people intend when they talk about rebuilds, they currently only have 3 players that they drafted.  Florida has discovered many diamonds, I'd love if the Flames could find a Verhaeghe or a Forsling, instead we gave them a Bennett. 

29 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Florida did draft high, but thats also not a team design that people intend when they talk about rebuilds, they currently only have 3 players that they drafted.  Florida has discovered many diamonds, I'd love if the Flames could find a Verhaeghe or a Forsling, instead we gave them a Bennett. 

DAL exactly did this.  Let's hope it alone can win the Cup and can bypass the #1 overall requirement.

56 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I hope DAL wins the Cup so we have more proof that drafting #1 overall is not required to win the Cup.  FLA and EDM went through hardcore full rebuilds.  NYR won the lottery to draft Lafreniere.

I just hope they GET to the finals so we get their 2026 3rd rder. Then I don't give a Satoshi Nakamoto about any of it. We've lost every "condition" thus far.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

DAL exactly did this.  Let's hope it alone can win the Cup and can bypass the #1 overall requirement.

Not really a requirement, in the cap era 6 teams have won without having their own #1 pick, while 5 have won with their own #1.  Of the 3 #1's remaining only 1 I would say is crucial to their teams success.  One is a second pairing D-man and the other is a 2nd line winger who is having his breakout this postseason, but is still 4th on his team in scoring.

48 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I just hope they GET to the finals so we get their 2026 3rd rder. Then I don't give a Satoshi Nakamoto about any of it. We've lost every "condition" thus far.

While we are waiting… our multiple Apple and Cherry trees are finally in full bloom, which is great.  This morning I got up and noticed we had a small flock of Cedar Waxwings on the trees engorging themselves on the flowers.  I love those birds, they are so beautiful, but after a half hour or so, after they decimated about 50% of the flowers, I went out and scared them off.  Now, back to our regular hockey programming…

32 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Not really a requirement, in the cap era 6 teams have won without having their own #1 pick, while 5 have won with their own #1.  Of the 3 #1's remaining only 1 I would say is crucial to their teams success.  One is a second pairing D-man and the other is a 2nd line winger who is having his breakout this postseason, but is still 4th on his team in scoring.

Extend that to #2 overall as well (because sometimes you tank hardcore but only get the 2nd overall pick).  I believe only STL and VGK have won Cups without a 1st or 2nd overall pick.

Bottom line is it's hard to win the Cup.  You can't just draft #1 or #2 overall.  You also have to do everything else right.  But it's so rare that teams can do everything else right and bypass picking #1 or #2 overall.

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Extend that to #2 overall as well (because sometimes you tank hardcore but only get the 2nd overall pick).  I believe only STL and VGK have won Cups without a 1st or 2nd overall pick.

Bottom line is it's hard to win the Cup.  You can't just draft #1 or #2 overall.  You also have to do everything else right.  But it's so rare that teams can do everything else right and bypass picking #1 or #2 overall.

Well Boston's #2 came from Toronto sucking, but Seguin was basically depth on that 2011 team who was healthy scratched for good portions of the playoffs.  Look up Bobby Ryan's impact on the 2007 Ducks.  And the Wings definitely didn't have a top pick of their own back in 2008.  Not arguing the quality that can come from there, just arguing it being a requirement, just because you picked there doesn't mean you needed to pick there to turn the ship or that the players picked there are as vital to the teams success as other pieces.  Take away the 3rd rounder who only wanted to play for them, the 4th round goalie or undrafted winger UFA and what are the Rangers, probably middle of the pack.  Now picture that team without their #1 and #2's, still great IMO.

17 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Well Boston's #2 came from Toronto sucking, but Seguin was basically depth on that 2011 team who was healthy scratched for good portions of the playoffs.  Look up Bobby Ryan's impact on the 2007 Ducks.  And the Wings definitely didn't have a top pick of their own back in 2008.  Not arguing the quality that can come from there, just arguing it being a requirement, just because you picked there doesn't mean you needed to pick there to turn the ship or that the players picked there are as vital to the teams success as other pieces.  Take away the 3rd rounder who only wanted to play for them, the 4th round goalie or undrafted winger UFA and what are the Rangers, probably middle of the pack.  Now picture that team without their #1 and #2's, still great IMO.

It's absolutely possible to win without picking #1 or #2.  It's just so rare and so, DAL can hopefully add more evidence to that argument.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Vegas had Eichel

42 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's absolutely possible to win without picking #1 or #2.  It's just so rare and so, DAL can hopefully add more evidence to that argument.

I think the Kings were closest. Doughty was 2nd overall, high, but built through trade with Philly and then getting Carter. But they were basically built with really good top6 players, Kopitar was 11th.

i also think of that Boston team, Belanger and Kreji very good centers but not drafted high, both in the second round. Marchand was 3rd round. 

1 hour ago, cberg said:

Vegas had Eichel

they also had extraordinary circumstances where they got to pick mid-tier players from every team and also have some high draft choices. Just looked, and they only had one lol, #6. 

55 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Not their own pick, which we were discussing.