Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

44 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

The damage with losing transends to everyone. Tell me who is excited to out of pocket hundreds and thousands of dollars to watch a crap team play, or even wanted to watch anyone lose. How do you know won't get a great C or D in the current draft picks we have coming in the next 3 years. For every high draft pick that's won a cup there are 3 that have done nothing. I agree with what your saying just can't see nor do I belive it should happen. I would rather have a 20-21 year old come on to a roster with confidence and a good supporting cast than a green 18 year old and toss all the burden on them to be the saviour of the future. 

The Flames are presented with a unique opportunity to fill a brand new arena with fans even if the team is tanking hardcore mofo... Because new shiney arena and stuff.  Take advantage of that.

But that's aside from the point.  The business aspect shouldn't interfere with the hockey aspect.  It's bad business to put together a losing product but from a hockey perspective, it's a necessary evil because the league rewards the worst team with the top picks.

But again, don't want to spend threads justifying tanking vs not tanking.

Wolf is a dilemma we have to deal with.   We want/need those high picks in the coming years no matter how much you disagree with the concept (it doesn't stop us from drafting Gaudreau's in the 4th round, we can continue to do that) but we also don't want to ruin Wolf while doing it.  He's going to get lit up if we don't add some quality NHL D for this coming season.

In my opinion, acquiring Korpisalo to get lit up instead is the best answer and in return, we get OTT's 7oa.

31 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

One little concern for this team from both a fan perspective and management going forward has to do with next year's  draft and one of Calgary first round picks. My understanding is that it's top ten protected deferring the first rnd pick to the FLA one? Meaning Calgary either has to be bad next year or make the playoffs 🤔 😅

My guess is that they will sign and trade to try and make the playoffs only prolonging the rebuild by losing the '13th' (or something like) overall pick next year😔

I think being bad for one year is in the team's best interest?

Chicago did it,, why not Cgy?🙂

Doubt ownership would be on board 😆

It's a great point.  We want to be bad next season so MTL gets FLA's pick instead.  With Markstrom traded soon, I don't see a problem repeating last season's results.  We have basically the same team that finished the season together.  We were basically 3-7-0 all the way post-TDL.

47 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don't think so, as I think it's just we are already there if that's the case. We have so many holes, and the only thing we don't have are elite players that you get deep in the draft. We are already a bottom 10 team and can be stuck there as the guys are aging out, and it's not like we have a deep prospect pool yet. So, we could be them anyway.

Were already there?  We've missed the playoffs for 13 straight years?  I know you find no joy in even winning a playoff round but I'm sure Buffalo fans would just appreciate a game at this point.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's a great point.  We want to be bad next season so MTL gets FLA's pick instead.  With Markstrom traded soon, I don't see a problem repeating last season's results.  We have basically the same team that finished the season together.  We were basically 3-7-0 all the way post-TDL.

Worth noting in April Markstrom was 0-4 and Wolf was 4-1, Markstrom did have the harder schedule but still had a stinker against Anaheim with 5 goals on 29 shots.  I don't know if I'd go as far as to suggest Wolf won most those games by himself, but end of year Wolf was significantly better than end of year Markstrom and I think we should still anticipate growth, and not cheer against him doing well.

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

FLA if they win drafted Barkov.... but they also have our previous #4 and #6 via trade. We have had top picks, in the past 10 years they all play for different teams now. We also had a exceptional talent in JG 4th rounder. IMHO we have had great players in this organization in the past decade but the wrong individual building it. Thats why I think this draft is important for the Flames, this is your rebuild opportunity. If you can land another top 10 pick, than its up to the scouts to hit it out of the park. If you read between the lines, the Dallas model is where and what I think this organization does

I think it's essentially the same thing. Good players, but it's like you said, the individual traded picks to get someone in the now. Varying degrees of success

41 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think it's essentially the same thing. Good players, but it's like you said, the individual traded picks to get someone in the now. Varying degrees of success

Certainly, there is no proven science to this, making it a difficult trophy to win. I look at it from a different viewpoint. We have some good NHL quality players, we have some not-bad prospects with 8-10 more coming, a possible #1 goalie, plus moving out Marky and Mags 26 million in cap space. Once that's done is Corronato to replace Mags and Wolf to replace Marky your back to 19 roster spots full and a boatload of capital to fill 5 roster spots. IMHO you bring in 4 veterans 2 D and 2 forwards for a 3-4 year window to stay competitive. For me that's the riddle to solve is more intriguing than who we draft. 

50 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Certainly, there is no proven science to this, making it a difficult trophy to win. I look at it from a different viewpoint. We have some good NHL quality players, we have some not-bad prospects with 8-10 more coming, a possible #1 goalie, plus moving out Marky and Mags 26 million in cap space. Once that's done is Corronato to replace Mags and Wolf to replace Marky your back to 19 roster spots full and a boatload of capital to fill 5 roster spots. IMHO you bring in 4 veterans 2 D and 2 forwards for a 3-4 year window to stay competitive. For me that's the riddle to solve is more intriguing than who we draft. 

Could you please further define what you mean by "stay competitive"?  Because what you suggest could possibly get us back to 8/9/10 in the Conference very fast.  And... That's about it.  If that's all you are suggesting then I don't see how anyone is onboard with that.

If you are suggesting Wolf replaces Markstrom, Coronato replaced Mange, then sign 2F and 2D and the Flames window to win the Cup opens "for 3-4 years"... Bro, I'm into the Pole Shift Theory too but the sun still rises from the East every morning.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Could you please further define what you mean by "stay competitive"?  Because what you suggest could possibly get us back to 8/9/10 in the Conference very fast.  And... That's about it.  If that's all you are suggesting then I don't see how anyone is onboard with that.

If you are suggesting Wolf replaces Markstrom, Coronato replaced Mange, then sign 2F and 2D and the Flames window to win the Cup opens "for 3-4 years"... Bro, I'm into the Pole Shift Theory too but the sun still rises from the East every morning.

I am not saying we are 4-5 pieces away from a cup, I am indicating we are 4-5 add-ons from moving it from very poor to respectable with the optimistic hope that the scouts hit home runs on the prospects in 3-4 years to move it to a next level. 

There are no indicators we won't spend 24 Million to get new players, the question is on who , that's going to be more intriguing than the draft IMHO

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

I am not saying we are 4-5 pieces away from a cup, I am indicating we are 4-5 add-ons from moving it from very poor to respectable with the optimistic hope that the scouts hit home runs on the prospects in 3-4 years to move it to a next level. 

There are no indicators we won't spend 24 Million to get new players, the question is on who , that's going to be more intriguing than the draft IMHO

Tanking is not intriguing at all.  It's just a necessary evil.

Basically, you want to fish for franchise altering talent drafting in the 12-18 range and I want to do it in the top 4.  Right? Essentially, before we springboard to contender status, where do we want to spend our time?

I can respect your opinion on this because it is more intriguing to be honest and it feels better.  But bruh, the stats and history isn't on your side.  Franchise altering talent is easier found when drafting very early.  There are no guarantees anyway, right?  Many teams never get out of the basement and at the same time, many teams get stuck in the middle for decades.  Both suck.

But again, just play the percentages.  More franchise altering talent is found in the top 4 than in the 12-18 range.  Hold your nose for 2 to 4 years.  Short term pain for long term gain.  On the other hand, if you simply want to squeeze into the playoffs once every three years and try to be a Cinderella team, then your way is better.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Tanking is not intriguing at all.  It's just a necessary evil.

Basically, you want to fish for franchise altering talent drafting in the 12-18 range and I want to do it in the top 4.  Right? Essentially, before we springboard to contender status, where do we want to spend our time?

I can respect your opinion on this because it is more intriguing to be honest and it feels better.  But bruh, the stats and history isn't on your side.  Franchise altering talent is easier found when drafting very early.  There are no guarantees anyway, right?  Many teams never get out of the basement and at the same time, many teams get stuck in the middle for decades.  Both suck.

But again, just play the percentages.  More franchise altering talent is found in the top 4 than in the 12-18 range.  Hold your nose for 2 to 4 years.  Short term pain for long term gain.  On the other hand, if you simply want to squeeze into the playoffs once every three years and try to be a Cinderella team, then your way is better.

I would suggest we only need look at recent history to see the difference between tanking and evolving while being competitive ..

With the caveat that management and coaching need to avoid certain mistakes ..

After the Iggy trade we were a pile of steaming mess ...

We drafted Monahan ..uncovered Johnny ..

We had a coach that pushed players to overachieve..  the comeback kids made the playoffs and bumped Vancouver ..Ferland excited us .. Kari freakin Ramo was a wall..

That team lost to Anaheim ..never had a chance really.. but the games were exciting ..

Mistakes were made in the upper levels reacting like we were close .. Instead of just augmenting and moving the evolution.. we overpaid the Boumas.. signed the Elliot's ..etc .. Gulutzen should never have been hired ..  but even he made the playoffs ..a bit more excitement ..   then more overreaction to where we really were ..

But still we evolved .. the Carolina trade was a major event .. chucky entered the fold .. we signed a real goalie for the first time since kipper ..got a real coach.. 

That team that beat Dallas and then lost to Edmonton finally WAS close .. the window WAS open..In spite of the management errors along the way 

A healthy Monahan and Tanev.. another year of growth , and a few tweaks and I fully believe it's us in the finals right now .. 

But the team imploded from within and Johnny lit the fuse .. 

My point in all this .. is even when we were growing.. making and missing the playoffs .we were competitive..there was no tanking..just evolution . Always a belief that we were a playoff team even when we werent .. 

. And the best we had was a #5 draft pick .( I exclude Bennett cuz I still firmly believe he was still going to be gone ) 

Just avoid the panic errors and rush mistakes and you shave years off of the time it took to get there..

I will take that road over what a Buffalo has endured every time 

52 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I would suggest we only need look at recent history to see the difference between tanking and evolving while being competitive ..

We had a coach that pushed players to overachieve..  the comeback kids made the playoffs and bumped Vancouver ..Ferland excited us .. Kari freakin Ramo was a wall..

That team lost to Anaheim ..never had a chance really.. but the games were exciting ..

Mistakes were made in the upper levels reacting like we were close .. Instead of just augmenting and moving the evolution.. we overpaid the Boumas.. signed the Elliot's ..etc .. Gulutzen should never have been hired ..  but even he made the playoffs ..a bit more excitement ..   then more overreaction to where we really were ..

But still we evolved .. the Carolina trade was a major event .. chucky entered the fold .. we signed a real goalie for the first time since kipper ..got a real coach.. 

That team that beat Dallas and then lost to Edmonton finally WAS close .. the window WAS open..In spite of the management errors along the way 

A healthy Monahan and Tanev.. another year of growth , and a few tweaks and I fully believe it's us in the finals right now .. 

My point in all this .. is even when we were growing.. making and missing the playoffs .we were competitive..there was no tanking..just evolution . Always a belief that we were a playoff team even when we werent .. 

. And the best we had was a #5 draft pick .( I exclude Bennett cuz I still firmly believe he was still going to be gone ) 

Just avoid the panic errors and rush mistakes and you shave years off of the time it took to get there..

I kinda agree, they did absolutely rush that core.  Far too often they brought in and over paid for Vets that didn’t fit and or cost too much in acquisition and cap hit for very little ROI.

On that note, holding on to players past 30 is not wise.  If you do they need to be guys like Jarome and Gio were…always top notch shape and in their early 30 still were forces.

mid 30’s time to move them unless your talking Crosby or lidstrom types which are unreadably rare.

as I see things every player worth anything more than a bag of pucks should on the move over the next 2 years…  Less Weegar he’s clearly the intern C after Backlund.

unfortunate for Flames fans Cgy has had no luck with our conditions on picks but…maybe get Draft luck, and manage to land Tij…that would be ideal, with Weegar as C to mentor him as a C over the next few years.

between Weegar on ice leadership and Jarome in the advisor role that’s a good start for leadership.  And it starts with leadership.

if at all possible Conroy should try his best to land a few more Firsts this year and next…even 2026 would be good we need a young core of players moving into 2027 with a pile of good prospects in the minors.

34 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I kinda agree, they did absolutely rush that core.  Far too often they brought in and over paid for Vets that didn’t fit and or cost too much in acquisition and cap hit for very little ROI.

On that note, holding on to players past 30 is not wise.  If you do they need to be guys like Jarome and Gio were…always top notch shape and in their early 30 still were forces.

mid 30’s time to move them unless your talking Crosby or lidstrom types which are unreadably rare.

as I see things every player worth anything more than a bag of pucks should on the move over the next 2 years…  Less Weegar he’s clearly the intern C after Backlund.

unfortunate for Flames fans Cgy has had no luck with our conditions on picks but…maybe get Draft luck, and manage to land Tij…that would be ideal, with Weegar as C to mentor him as a C over the next few years.

between Weegar on ice leadership and Jarome in the advisor role that’s a good start for leadership.  And it starts with leadership.

if at all possible Conroy should try his best to land a few more Firsts this year and next…even 2026 would be good we need a young core of players moving into 2027 with a pile of good prospects in the minors.

I believe your older players should be your placeholders and role models.

I look at Trevor Lewis last year ..perfect role on the 4th line ..valuable to the kids that played with him..and brought leadership..and mentorship ..you need that 

We had bad voodoo with signings ..hindsight is an evil beast but nobody saw James Neal falling off a cliff .. Brouwer was a good signing..but the swiss army knife role Gully played him in was stupid.. he was a 3rd liner at best in a defensive role and they played him like a first liner ..

I was trying to think of a post mortem summary on Treliving... He had many positives .. I believe his downfall came to 2 things ..  couldn't hire coaches ..and wouldn't make the final push to close the big deal.

I'll give him a pass on Peters cuz I think he would have had success if the past didn't come up.. but our 2 best coahes that pushes this team forward were Hartley, who he inherited ..and Sutter who many believe was forced on him 

Again I don't blame him for any signing.. they made sense ..the ones that went bad were those that nobody saw coming like Neal.. even Elliot made sense at the time 

But he either didn't hire or didn't fight to hire real coaches .always trying to uncover the next undiscovered guru .

They could make a unsolved mysteries show on Huberdeau.. nobody and I mean NOBODY can explain his drop off the cliff .. the theme after that deal was how Florida got fleeced ..they were calling it the "Summer of Brad" ...  Can't blame it on Sutter ..he sucked this year too .. awaken Huberdeau and we are a playoff team as we sit now 

How many deals didnt happen because he wouldn't add that last domino.. missed out on stone due to valimaki... Missed on Eichel (spending who you believe ) for not including Johnny or chucky ..now we have none of those players and lost 2 of them for nothing 

This team ..right now .. I feel is about 5 years ahead of what we had In 2014 when Monahan stepped on the ice as a rookie..

More depth.. more remaining skill.. more prospects in the pipeline and about to add maybe 8 more in the first 4 rounds ..maybe more if the Marky deal is good 

Use it right..coach it right  and we are an exciting relevant team when we step on the ice in the new building ..we don't need to get worse ..we already are poised to be better

And speaking of older players ...Monahan I would totally target in UFA ..bring him home .. there's your #1 center for the next year or so 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Well firstly, last time we had Giordano to start the rebuild and that's what largely made it all possible.  He enters Norris-level almost immediately once he became captain.  This time, no one.

Secondly,  I'm not saying to not do all that.  But merely, spend the 2-4 years in the top 4 first.  And then after we got the new core, then evolve upwards and onwards.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Well firstly, last time we had Giordano to start the rebuild and that's what largely made it all possible.  He enters Norris-level almost immediately once he became captain.  This time, no one.

Secondly,  I'm not saying to not do all that.  But merely, spend the 2-4 years in the top 4 first.  And then after we got the new core, then evolve upwards and onwards.

And now we have Weegar and Anderson.. no disrespect or discredit to Gio but Weegar can easily be that..he's another that's getting better the older he gets .

And that's the other issue with that strategy..this team is not bad enough now to be a top 4 pick team .. and with the kids we already have coming in the pipeline were only getting better .. definitely not worse 

And speaking of Gio.. and hindsight... And to discredit all those who still think " the flames knew about Dube all along "...  Do you really think if the flames had any clue about Dube they'd have protected him and not Gio in the expansion draft ? 

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

And now we have Weegar and Anderson.. no disrespect or discredit to Gio but Weegar can easily be that..he's another that's getting better the older he gets .

And that's the other issue with that strategy..this team is not bad enough now to be a top 4 pick team .. and with the kids we already have coming in the pipeline were only getting better .. definitely not worse 

We are no doubt at a fork on the road.  We can absolutely choose tank for the next 2-4 years and we can absolutely try a fast turn around like we did last time.  And it all hinges on what Conroy does with the $20-mil cap space this summer.

Tank = weaponized it and take on bad contracts in order to gain picks and prospects.

Competitive = offer Sam Reinhart $15-mil x 7 and outbid everyone else.

Which way?  ...if I had to guess, two things:

1. The fact we haven't extended Mange, Sharangovich, and Kuzmenko suggests to me the Flames are open to be sellers again at TDL.  The Sell Option is on the table (which is a wise move, IMO).  We are not retaining and building further with this group.  We are hunting for picks and prospects.

2. John Bean, former CEO, was a huge advocate for the exact path you are suggesting we take and oversaw the last rebuild with Giordano/Gaudreau.  Because it's the business path.  It's the fiscal path.  It's more sustainable.  It sells more tickets.  And now he's gone.  Here's to hoping we are going to take a hockey-first approach instead now.  A change of philosophy from the very top.

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We are no doubt at a fork on the road.  We can absolutely choose tank for the next 2-4 years and we can absolutely try a fast turn around like we did last time.  And it all hinges on what Conroy does with the $20-mil cap space this summer.

Tank = weaponized it and take on bad contracts in order to gain picks and prospects.

Competitive = offer Sam Reinhart $15-mil x 7 and outbid everyone else.

Which way?  ...if I had to guess, two things:

1. The fact we haven't extended Mange, Sharangovich, and Kuzmenko suggests to me the Flames are open to be sellers again at TDL.  The Sell Option is on the table (which is a wise move, IMO).  We are not retaining and building further with this group.  We are hunting for picks and prospects.

2. John Bean, former CEO, was a huge advocate for the exact path you are suggesting we take and oversaw the last rebuild with Giordano/Gaudreau.  Because it's the business path.  It's the fiscal path.  It's more sustainable.  It sells more tickets.  And now he's gone.  Here's to hoping we are going to take a hockey-first approach instead now.  A change of philosophy from the very top.

I get what you're saying..but I see it going somewhere in the middle ..  I think we'll take a run at Reinhart ..but not stupidly.. Conny has already said he plans to be active in free agency but with certain goals in mind ..(eg Talbot if Marky goes )..maybe a Brett Pesce..I totally expect them to try and bring Monahan home 

I can see us taking on some bad contracts ..but for players who can serve a purpose ..full some holes we have that make us better

Too soon to read into those 3 player ..they can't even make them an offer until July 1..but if I had to speculate, I think mange is on the block..they'll work hard to resign Yegor and kuzemenko will play Into the season and if the sniper holds to his form..then try and resign..if unsigned by tdl he'll be flipped 

And forgot to add... Bean was a mouthpiece for Edwards.. new CEO won't change that 

24 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I get what you're saying..but I see it going somewhere in the middle ..  I think we'll take a run at Reinhart ..but not stupidly.. Conny has already said he plans to be active in free agency but with certain goals in mind ..(eg Talbot if Marky goes )..maybe a Brett Pesce..I totally expect them to try and bring Monahan home 

I can see us taking on some bad contracts ..but for players who can serve a purpose ..full some holes we have that make us better

Too soon to read into those 3 player ..they can't even make them an offer until July 1..but if I had to speculate, I think mange is on the block..they'll work hard to resign Yegor and kuzemenko will play Into the season and if the sniper holds to his form..then try and resign..if unsigned by tdl he'll be flipped 

And forgot to add... Bean was a mouthpiece for Edwards.. new CEO won't change that 

Without overpaying stupidly, I don't see how Reinhart would choose the Flames.  He will have lots of choices this summer to teams that have better chances to win.

And that goes for many UFAs this summer.  Flames are not an attractive team to play for right now.  Why would Pesce and Monahan come here?  Only an overpay would do it and it's just not worth it.  Just go through the pain of a top 4 pick.  We can trade Weegar or Andersson to make it happen.

Good point about the 3 UFA forwards.  We will see come this summer if Conroy will extend them.

In terms of Bean, perhaps Edwards doesn't want to tank in a rebuild.  We do have a new arena coming in a couple of years and the financial landscape changes with that.  But at the very least, there's hope we go in another direction with Bean gone.

Big time buyer beware on Reinhart.

Just about doubled his career high in goals. Shot around 9% hire than his career shooting percentage. Scored 27 of his 57 on the PP.

Florida can probably keep him at a reasonable number. If he leaves, it’s gonna be a bad corneas. He’s a good complimentary player, not a driver. He’s a 50-60pt player on a bad team, like when he was in Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Big time buyer beware on Reinhart.

Just about doubled his career high in goals. Shot around 9% hire than his career shooting percentage. Scored 27 of his 57 on the PP.

Florida can probably keep him at a reasonable number. If he leaves, it’s gonna be a bad corneas. He’s a good complimentary player, not a driver. He’s a 50-60pt player on a bad team, like when he was in Buffalo. 

Yups.  Like Kadri basically.

But to those who say we will get back to the playoffs via UFA, go look at the UFA list and tell me who is going to get the job done for us?  Who would sign here when they have better options?

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yups.  Like Kadri basically.

But to those who say we will get back to the playoffs via UFA, go look at the UFA list and tell me who is going to get the job done for us?  Who would sign here when they have better options?

I will say this is a bad year for big name UFAs. plenty of space fillers who likely wont be in high demand , or old and wont command a long term deal 

Personally id like us to target Talbot(again assuming no Marky), Duclair and Monahan-- I can see Mony liking a return-- he drops right back into a 1c role and PP1 

25 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I will say this is a bad year for big name UFAs. plenty of space fillers who likely wont be in high demand , or old and wont command a long term deal 

Personally id like us to target Talbot(again assuming no Marky), Duclair and Monahan-- I can see Mony liking a return-- he drops right back into a 1c role and PP1 

Er, I don't know that Monahan would be a #1.  Maybe he would be getting a lot of passes from Huberdeau, but he isn't a play driver.  

Just now, travel_dude said:

Er, I don't know that Monahan would be a #1.  Maybe he would be getting a lot of passes from Huberdeau, but he isn't a play driver.  

he would be on this team...   Mony thrived with Johnny , should match well with Hubie-- not to mention add some D to that line... Duclair and Hubie have chemistry 

30 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

So how exactly is this plan going to work better than drafting in the top 4 next year?  What's the end game here?  It's better to be 9th worst in the NHL than the 3rd worst?  What's the difference when we are not going to be able to get UFAs that will make a key difference?

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So how exactly is this plan going to work better than drafting in the top 4 next year?  What's the end game here?  It's better to be 9th worst in the NHL than the 3rd worst?  What's the difference when we are not going to be able to get UFAs that will make a key difference?

anyone you draft is 2-3 years away ..  this keeps us competitive while the kids develop.

if we were tanking then yes .. but we're not ..we know that.. the prime directive is make the playoffs whether some like it or not