Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think Conroy would want to go for a Toffoli kind of deal with Andersson. Only, he'd get a first and a player to play? Maybe it's more the Hanifin deal? 

The Toffoli trade was a nice win.  But small step forward.  Moving 3 pieces for 10oa could move it forward much faster.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Fun scenario,

Markstrom: I told you last time, don't ever ask me again. You put us through hell. I'll hold my end of the bargain, you can hold up yours, if you're allowed to manage that.

Rumour is, Conroy and Fitzgerald have restarted Markstrom talks.  So, I'm sure Markstrom is still willing to leave Calgary.

If I had to guess (and I have zero insider info), then my guess is that the whole TDL fiasco costed John Bean his job.  Interfering with hockey decisions and blocking progress forward.  He took the fall for what is embarrassing to the Flames organization.  The Flames apologized to Markstrom and both parties are moving forward.

4 hours ago, cberg said:

Also, whatever Markstrom is, what are the other options for the NJD, a team that has all the parts ready to go, which was shown two years ago when they broke out, before the devastating injuries and bad goalie play this past year? 

Well there are others available on the market like Saros, Ullmark, and Gibson.  Saros and Gibson are arguably better than Markstrom.

So what's the ask from NSH, BOS, and ANA?  If it's less than what the Flames are asking then NJD has got their new goalie from them and the Flames miss out on an opportunity to sell high on Markstrom.  We will have to make deals with other teams who value Markstrom for what he is; an aging top 10-15 goalie with 2 years left until retirement.

25 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well there are others available on the market like Saros, Ullmark, and Gibson.  Saros and Gibson are arguably better than Markstrom.

So what's the ask from NSH, BOS, and ANA?  If it's less than what the Flames are asking then NJD has got their new goalie from them and the Flames miss out on an opportunity to sell high on Markstrom.  We will have to make deals with other teams who value Markstrom for what he is; an aging top 10-15 goalie with 2 years left until retirement.

Yes there is competition, but I wouldn’t say they are better than Markstrom.  Younger, and costlier(-$8-8.5mm), it is rumoured, not better.

52 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Rumour is, Conroy and Fitzgerald have restarted Markstrom talks.  So, I'm sure Markstrom is still willing to leave Calgary.

If I had to guess (and I have zero insider info), then my guess is that the whole TDL fiasco costed John Bean his job.  Interfering with hockey decisions and blocking progress forward.  He took the fall for what is embarrassing to the Flames organization.  The Flames apologized to Markstrom and both parties are moving forward.

Not the story I've heard, but its the drama in the Canadian market sells better.  I've heard the issue was NJ flipping on the return once Markstrom agreed to waive.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Not the story I've heard, but its the drama in the Canadian market sells better.  I've heard the issue was NJ flipping on the return once Markstrom agreed to waive.

Ya prevailing rumour was the deal was nixed at a level above Conroy after learning about cap retention.  I doubt Edwards would step in so hard as he's hands off mostly.  So it must be someone between Edwards and Conroy.  And then Bean "steps down"... So I'm just guessing and linking things together.

EyVg59uWgAIjRc5.jpg

8 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Yes but need a player coming back, not a dump but a young player NHL ready or nearly ready…who’s Ott got that may check the player box that we would want? 

OTT wants an upgrade at G and RD but they have cap problems because they already have Korpisalo signed $4-mil x 4.  We have to take back Korpisalo to make it work... Which should help lower OTT's asking price.  Korpisalo was one of the worst G in the NHL at sub .900sv%.

Korpisalo could be the perfect veteran to shelter Wolf over the next 4 years.  It could work out nicely for our re- from a timing perspective.

My offer to OTT would probably include Weegar instead of Andersson because the 7oa costs even more than the 10oa after all.  But maybe we don't need to add Pospisil.

To OTT,

Markstrom

Weegar

To CGY,

7oa

Korpisalo

At 7, there's a small chance that Lindstrom falls there.

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

OTT wants an upgrade at G and RD but they have cap problems because they already have Korpisalo signed $4-mil x 4.  We have to take back Korpisalo to make it work... Which should help lower OTT's asking price.  Korpisalo was one of the worst G in the NHL at sub .900sv%.

Korpisalo could be the perfect veteran to shelter Wolf over the next 4 years.  It could work out nicely for our re- from a timing perspective.

My offer to OTT would probably include Weegar instead of Andersson because the 7oa costs even more than the 10oa after all.  But maybe we don't need to add Pospisil.

To OTT,

Markstrom

Weegar

To CGY,

7oa

Korpisalo

At 7, there's a small chance that Lindstrom falls there.

Korpisalo would be an unwanted Cap dump that would lessen the package value, and remove any need to upgrade to Weegar from Anderson.  Even Marstrom and Anderson for 7pm would be a stretch, I’d probably want some young prospect coming back…

3 hours ago, cberg said:

Korpisalo would be an unwanted Cap dump that would lessen the package value, and remove any need to upgrade to Weegar from Anderson.  Even Marstrom and Anderson for 7pm would be a stretch, I’d probably want some young prospect coming back…

Yeah I’d be ok with Markstrom and either Weegar or Anderson for that package from Ott but yes definitely a prospect would need to be added taking Korpisalo on 

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Mmm there are 3 key parts that I think outweigh Bos, Nas and Anh…

1. Broudeaur is very high on Markstrom, and he’s part of the NJD executive team 

2. NJD is looking for something significant to move the 10th OA…so that right there tells

me needs to be a package deal that checks off a bunch of boxes for NJD

3. From the Combine, NJD’s GM has said they are looking for a goalie, a forward with grit and scoring and at least another D.

Bos has only one asset that can meet this. And honestly I don’t think NJD will offer much more than Holtz for a goalie which I’m not sure Bos has interest in.

Nas seems pretty solid, I’m not positive they move Saros at all, but if they do they are looking for a haul, and NJD is again probably not offering more than Holtz…and again I don’t think Holtz is enough for Nas 

Anh is the wild card, Gibby I’m not sure he’s really on the same level as Markstrom, but again I’m not sure what else Anh has that they may be with part

with…they do have some prospects but I’m not sure they want to move them or take back a player like Holtz they seem more inclined to take prospects and picks vs gambles on a guy like Holts.

enter Cgy they have youngish players that fit into NJD’s window, and they have all the key pieces to accommodate NJD’s wish list…which is significant enough for the 10 OA…I think the real issue may be Cgy wants Mercer badly in a return which could work for NJD but…

enter Ott, 7th OA is better than 10 OA and probably cost less to get 

tough one to call.

im hoping we land another top 10, ideally id like to see Mercer, id accept Holtz with Mercer and the 10OA and we draft Tij and a D in the top 10

id Be ok with an Ott deal that would land us Tij and A D in the the top 10 too, but obviously the chance to have Mercer is definitely better.

should be fun, but please draft Tij if at all possible 🤞🙏

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Anh is the wild card, Gibby I’m not sure he’s really on the same level as Markstrom, but again I’m not sure what else Anh has that they may be with part

Anaheim is loaded with picks, prospects and cap space. Fellow Lambton County resident Pat Verbeek (and former teenage teammate lol) can do whatever he likes. Gibson at $6.4 x 3 is whatevs. He can trade him or not.

2 things, he's supposed to be Detroit's Asst. GM, but this Satoshi Nakamoto happens on the regular to Detroit. lol

Secondly, for the full rebuild crowd, watch Anaheim. This will be you.

I have no doubt that Verbeek is going to crush it for longterm success, but they are in, what, year 4 now (2 for Verbeek)?

Get used to dire straits. There is no such thing as a "quick" rebuild, or multiple 1st rd picks speeding it up.

That doesn't happen.

21 hours ago, sak22 said:

this aligns with what I’ve heard as well. 

I do think and have heard the flames were too quick to ask Markstrom to waive (thus his media comment) but I have heard NJ got cold feet on the retention ask and then once retention was off the table the quality of the offer went down substantially. That’s why despite being close it never got done. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Markstrom from what's indicated would waive to get to Devils, not sure OTT is a contending team and he waives to go there, and TO forget it, I got something else Trevling can sniff on. Could Marky be had with some retention for the 1st don't think so, may have to add a little, Marky and  Pelts with 1 million retained may get you the 10A. Marky Kylington F prospect ( Scwindt, Pelts)  for 10A and Holtz something along those lines. 

If we move Marky that's great but you better have a viable alternative in UFA market to obtain some form of better D to protect your goalie. 

As some of us have been wondering, BUF is in a hurry to make it back to he playoffs.   It's been 13 years if I'm not mistaken and they simply have no appetite to draft and wait 2-5 years for this pick to make an impact.

Do the Flames have what BUF is looking for?  Can we make the best offer?

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

As some of us have been wondering, BUF is in a hurry to make it back to he playoffs.   It's been 13 years if I'm not mistaken and they simply have no appetite to draft and wait 2-5 years for this pick to make an impact.

Interesting…I’d rather get Ott’s 7th vs NJD’s 10th…maybe move someone to Buf for their 11th? Not sure who’s that could be but having 7th, 9th 11th and what’s Vcr’s 28th? That’s not bad…may even be able to package the VCR with one of the other picks do a 2 for 1 to move higher? 

16 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm not sure we can.. closest thing to impactful would be Yegor , and I think they see him as a piece they want to resign and keep . Kuzmenko I don't think starts the conversation..and we definitely aren't moving any kids..

Sounding more like a bidding war has begun on Markstrom.. Ottawa, NJD and Toronto all interested ..and think all 3 are teams Marky would accept ..

Toronto seems like a non starter for me ..late pick ..they don't really have extra pieces unless you can use him as a foundation for a Marner trade , which I don't see happening.. Marner , a first and Knies for Anderson and Markstrom ? Dunno 

Ottawa has the #7.. but not much of else.. unless you take a chycrun and be prepared to flip him at tdl if you can't sign him.. 

But does look promising to end up with another top 10 pick which in itself would be a coup 

I would be surprised if Markstrom is interested in Ottawa at all. They were worse than the Flames last year. In theory, they should be a good team, it hasn’t happened. Especially in that division, Markstrom could stay put and have a similar chance at the playoffs. Which is to say, not a great one.

Calgary would have to take on 4yrs of Korpisalo as well. Theres also some form of trade protection with Korpisalo, which likely includes Calgary. 

5 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would be surprised if Markstrom is interested in Ottawa at all. They were worse than the Flames last year. In theory, they should be a good team, it hasn’t happened. Especially in that division, Markstrom could stay put and have a similar chance at the playoffs. Which is to say, not a great one.

Calgary would have to take on 4yrs of Korpisalo as well. Theres also some form of trade protection with Korpisalo, which likely includes Calgary. 

Dunno..I think you could make the same argument fr Ottawa as NJ..they had brutal goaltending..they have the horses to open the window .. and new coach could also make a difference in selling it to Markstrom 

Zero interest in taking korpisalo back too 

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Dunno..I think you could make the same argument fr Ottawa as NJ..they had brutal goaltending..they have the horses to open the window .. and new coach could also make a difference in selling it to Markstrom 

Zero interest in taking korpisalo back too 

I just think Markstrom has all the say. Living minutes away from Manhattan must be more appealing than Ottawa, I would think. Unless he absolutely wants to be traded, I just struggle to see it as a fit. Can’t blame the Sens for trying though.

I kinda think it’s NJ or bust. Toronto is a really logical fit, but does Murray Edwards want to help out BT? I think we found out the past season the answer is no. 

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

I just think Markstrom has all the say. Living minutes away from Manhattan must be more appealing than Ottawa, I would think. Unless he absolutely wants to be traded, I just struggle to see it as a fit. Can’t blame the Sens for trying though.

I kinda think it’s NJ or bust. Toronto is a really logical fit, but does Murray Edwards want to help out BT? I think we found out the past season the answer is no. 

Oh I totally agree NJ is the hot spot ..and the likely winner ..but these other viable deals should push Them to jump the offer .. they for sure have the best pieces to offer ..

Also it's been debunked multiple times that Murray did not scuttle that deal.. the deal was essentially done and njd circled back and wanted retention included ..which prompted Calgary to ask for more ..

Hence the gm making that "Ransom" statement