Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

22 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The infatuation with Dawson Mercer echo chamber is nothing short of fascinating. We ripped Sharangovich already. The better of the 2. Is Dawson Mercer going to really explode here soon? What am I missing?

I don't know that he is going to pop but I'm a big fan of Mercer. I just think he does everything well, he competes hard, wins battles, does the little things you need to win. I think he is a potential future captain.

Reminds me a lot of Travis Konecky 

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

39 and hasn't been very good for the last 3-4 years

37. Had like 2 amazing months and then was a below avg starter after that. If those 2 are what you want to point out that we should keep him and we could still ahve a good starter, i'm not sure they are proving your point. If you can't find better than those guys to be your starter, you've got a problem in your hockey ops IMO. 

I get the point there is no guarantee Markstorm 2 years from now just suddenly sucks and i'm not making that point either.  The probability that Markstrom is going to be a good starter when he is a UFA is not in his favor. Why play the odds?

I prefer those odds vs Vladar and Wolf. I much, much, much prefer removing Vladar any way necessary. We've maneuvered cap space, added picks and prospects yet still want to throw all caution to the wind on goaltending. Absolute suckers for punishment. Wolf should have been the backup this year. HAVE to do it next year now because we waited. Very very few goalies walk into a seat successfully and I'll be downright shocked if Wolf is Vasilevsky. You have to fight through a lot for that seat. Vladar isn't much fight.

And I don't see a Plan B. Plan A is only as good as Plan B.

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

We trapped ourselves with the three-headed goalie monster again this year, lose a Byron for what? Haha but still, we risk a good year of Wolf development under Markstrom for a guy who will never be a starter and is an average to poor overpaid backup. Sutter ruined Vladar...

Or the guy was good enough to give a look, but was he ever a top prospect?  The guy played 48 games in 2017-2018, 32 the next year, 26 the next, and then 23, hard to project how someone will be at the highest level when they've never handled a full workload at the lower levels consistently.  Sure great AHL numbers in seasons where he only played 25 and 10 games, it was worth a gamble and he has been a solid backup but I don't get that he was ruined because he was just overrated here to begin with.

• Like 1

LA strangely quiet.

Talbot with Rittich as an emergency loan after getting the AHL boot.

Both are UFA's.

I am surprised that LA hasn't even thought about a goalie upgrade.

Don't love the assets they would be (possibly) willing to trade.

Maybe Turcotte and Kalyiyev and a 1st.

Not near the equivalent from NJ.

But they are a playoff team with ?? in nets.

3 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Or the guy was good enough to give a look, but was he ever a top prospect?  The guy played 48 games in 2017-2018, 32 the next year, 26 the next, and then 23, hard to project how someone will be at the highest level when they've never handled a full workload at the lower levels consistently.  Sure great AHL numbers in seasons where he only played 25 and 10 games, it was worth a gamble and he has been a solid backup but I don't get that he was ruined because he was just overrated here to begin with.

I don't get why we paid him so much!

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

LA strangely quiet.

Talbot with Rittich as an emergency loan after getting the AHL boot.

Both are UFA's.

I am surprised that LA hasn't even thought about a goalie upgrade.

Don't love the assets they would be (possibly) willing to trade.

Maybe Turcotte and Kalyiyev and a 1st.

Not near the equivalent from NJ.

But they are a playoff team with ?? in nets.

Supposedly were looking to bring Toffoli back, but lost out the Jets.  Maybe something still to come?

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Unless a big surprise happens, we may be keeping the 2025 Vegas pick.

I am sure that as soon as I post this, they will use their first.

Still 3 hours to go, and we know there is always a swarm of trades in the last 30 minutes....

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Unless a big surprise happens, we may be keeping the 2025 Vegas pick.

I am sure that as soon as I post this, they will use their first.

I want to see us keeping this pick i.m.o.

Toffi as a Jet im surprised.

2 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

I want to see us keeping this pick i.m.o.

Toffi as a Jet im surprised.

Agree with the 2025 1st, not too far into the future.  Although if 2026 it is unprotected...

5 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Me neither

we should have put him/Vladar on Waivers a month ago/yesterday. Called up Wolf and keep him up. Get Wolf nhl games and views on how Markstrom does the rest of the year. 

the team obviously isn't thinking the same way Conundrum is.

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't know that he is going to pop but I'm a big fan of Mercer. I just think he does everything well, he competes hard, wins battles, does the little things you need to win. I think he is a potential future captain.

Reminds me a lot of Travis Konecky 

Which is great and I know he's young, but he plays 3rd line RW. So he's not getting C reps and not facing the other team's best. If he was at C I'd understand that maybe he'll never overcome the phenomenal Hischier or Hughes. But his C is normally Haula.

So why is everyone under the impression that Mercer would be a great top 2C? None of that has happened so far.

Yet that's the guy that everyone is crowing for. There's likely 20 guys hiding in or around the league that are equal.

Example, why is Nashville so effing good right now? Dawson Mercer's are around, why can't we get away from NJ? Buffalo really, really needs a goalie. As does Ottawa, maybe Detroit, Toronto, Carolina, LA, of Markstrom's calibre if we trade him. Maybe he won't waive for some, but options at least. If you're going to waive for Newark frigging New Jersey where wouldn't you waive for.

Then if ours becomes a nightmare, don't say that I didn't warn you. lol

19 minutes ago, sak22 said:

If my recall is correct, it was the goalie coaches that loved Vladar is why we acquired him.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Which is great and I know he's young, but he plays 3rd line RW. So he's not getting C reps and not facing the other team's best. If he was at C I'd understand that maybe he'll never overcome the phenomenal Hischier or Hughes. But his C is normally Haula.

So why is everyone under the impression that Mercer would be a great top 2C? None of that has happened so far.

Yet that's the guy that everyone is crowing for. There's likely 20 guys hiding in or around the league that are equal.

Example, why is Nashville so effing good right now? Dawson Mercer's are around, why can't we get away from NJ? Buffalo really, really needs a goalie. As does Ottawa, maybe Detroit, Toronto, Carolina, LA, of Markstrom's calibre if we trade him. Maybe he won't waive for some, but options at least. If you're going to waive for Newark frigging New Jersey where wouldn't you waive for.

True, there may be many other options, especially in the Summer.  I'd think that LAK might be a TDL option though, to help them push through to the playoffs.

Just now, conundrumed said:

If my recall is correct, it was the goalie coaches that loved Vladar is why we acquired him.

he was a good add and had good mechanics, but have we ruined him? JJ would think we run goalies... 

There was talk of him becoming a starter and BT gambled we would be getting a bargain from an inflated contract. 

7 minutes ago, cberg said:

True, there may be many other options, especially in the Summer.  I'd think that LAK might be a TDL option though, to help them push through to the playoffs.

Kaliyev + Turcotte or Clarke doesn't give them enough cap.

They are the only F that they might trade, as they don't help a cap run with their relative struggles.

At the very least they might have to add another contract.

At least that's the way I see it.

EDIT - forgot Rittich was an emergency loan, so dropping him maybe does it.

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I actually think Mercer is more of a winger personally. 

And NMC is a pretty big factor for many of those team.  I have no problem moving off of NJ and Mercer if you are going to get more but IMO you won't. I don't even think your going to get Mercer for him because if you could, Markstrom would likely be a Devil by now

• Like 2

So Toffoli with 50% retention got a 2025 2nd and 2024 3rd (will almost certainly be higher than #80).  I remember the good old days when Sharangovich was a nobody and had we held onto Toffoli until the deadline it was a guaranteed 1st plus a top prospect.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

The infatuation with Dawson Mercer echo chamber is nothing short of fascinating. We ripped Sharangovich already. The better of the 2. Is Dawson Mercer going to really explode here soon? What am I missing?

We're building the 2026/27 team post-retool.  Is Markstrom still here for that?  Well, no.

That's all we need to consider.

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We're building the 2026/27 team post-retool.  Is Markstrom still here for that?  Well, no.

That's all we need to consider.

But can he help Wolf become a bonafide #1? Is that worth considering? Or are we looking for, "the best goalie not in the NHL" again, if things go south?

41 minutes ago, sak22 said:

So Toffoli with 50% retention got a 2025 2nd and 2024 3rd (will almost certainly be higher than #80).  I remember the good old days when Sharangovich was a nobody and had we held onto Toffoli until the deadline it was a guaranteed 1st plus a top prospect.

Yeah but... so... if... when...

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952p66sl88jfxqsky9glv8

• Like 1

I really hope the Flames didn't overplay their hand here...

That's a really curious move for the Devils though. Allen isn't great and is signed for next year too. Really odd what the Devils have done here