Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

11 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think once teams start to see their caps too tight the Flames could be a cap dump team if the right player comes along.

not too worried about that if the Flames can manage that.

Yeah, it seems unfortunate now that so many players that teams are looking to dump still have trade protection and many seem to be more willing to be bought out than moved somewhere they don't want to go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Yeah, it seems unfortunate now that so many players that teams are looking to dump still have trade protection and many seem to be more willing to be bought out than moved somewhere they don't want to go.

Do you think there will be a change in the collective agreement league-wide to do something about those trade protections? Seems a bit counter-intuitive and limits the league-wide healthy product.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Do you think there will be a change in the collective agreement league-wide to do something about those trade protections? Seems a bit counter-intuitive and limits the league-wide healthy product.

Well, that's a thing that exists in the CBA and the players absoluiely would not consider giving up.  The cap makes only the top 10% get the top $$.  A player isn't going to settle for lower dollars and have no say in where they go.  The NMC prevents them from being sent to the minors.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

To me this seems more like Pagnotta following what Button said last night. I would imagine that they are exploring the trade market on just about every player on the roster.

I wouldn’t get my hopes up on a Kadri move..that article goes on to say they ok at Kadri as a big part of the roster reset and he likes it in Cgy…personally as much as I never wanted Kadri, what he did for the young players last year I’m very ok with not moving….i kinda get why Cgy sees him as a big part of the reset 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, that's a thing that exists in the CBA and the players absoluiely would not consider giving up.  The cap makes only the top 10% get the top $$.  A player isn't going to settle for lower dollars and have no say in where they go.  The NMC prevents them from being sent to the minors.

I don't think I am advocating for them to make less, just that the NMC be abolished... Maybe there's a work around things like the minors, and that that be a clause that's allowed. But maybe a limit on the amount of teams on the NMC list to be traded to. While seemingly fair to individual players who have "earned it," it's a bit unfair to some of the teams who continue to be cusp teams but would never make it on the list... 

So maybe it's a minimum 16 team list and a most clauses have to have a 20 team list? I dunno, but I get there needs to be some security. The NHL is lucky in that they continue to have guaranteed contracts, whereas some of the other major leagues it is a lot easier to get out from under contracts. 

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don't think I am advocating for them to make less, just that the NMC be abolished... Maybe there's a work around things like the minors, and that that be a clause that's allowed. But maybe a limit on the amount of teams on the NMC list to be traded to. While seemingly fair to individual players who have "earned it," it's a bit unfair to some of the teams who continue to be cusp teams but would never make it on the list... 

So maybe it's a minimum 16 team list and a most clauses have to have a 20 team list? I dunno, but I get there needs to be some security. The NHL is lucky in that they continue to have guaranteed contracts, whereas some of the other major leagues it is a lot easier to get out from under contracts. 

Trade protection is a bargaining chip.  If a team doesn't want to offer one or the player doesn't want one, then it's moot.  The NMC and the dead cap rules exist because there were teams abusing players and sending them down.  

What I was saying about money was that a player may choose to sign for less with a NMC or NTC as the form of stability.  These tend to be family people.  If your family lived in Canada and you get traded to a sh*thole city, that would put you in a bad situation.  It's different if a TDL deal sends you to that city for a couple of months.  

The NHL and NHLPA barely struck a deal and extension without opening up the CBA too much.  The owners would love to talk about it.  As it is, even a NMC and NTC can be waived.  

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Yeah, problem is if you take those what are you willing to give back to the players?  Because it is one thing players won't be happy to eliminate.  It is always for me teams policing themselves, I don't know how the Jake Walman's of the world get these, guy had less than 150 NHL games when he signed that deal.

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

"For awhile"

When it becomes a problem, then it's too late.  

When do you see it being a problem?  Who is getting the money now?  Who do we have now that we need to worry about in a few years?  Even your dream core from the next 3 drafts you won't have to worry about by the end of Kadri's deal.

44 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

What about Marner and  Flames 1st at 9th to Columbus,

flames receive Columbus pick and choose Demidov. 

The Leafs get Andersson and Kadri, and a Flames 2nd rounder. 

C’mon, seriously? Kadri, Anderson, 9oa and 2nd rounder for 4oa(Demidov)? Beyond Ridiculous!!!!! Sure, getting Demidov could be a great thing, not for certain, and not likely effective in building a complete team.  Even if he is Kucherov 2.0, that is far, far from enough for the team to be successful.  9oa could in the same way of thinking be Iginla 2.0, and not doing that trade means we’d be keeping 3 pieces that would help the team on their own or traded down the road.  I might give 2 pieces for 4oa(Anderson and 2nd rd) but that is it…

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cberg said:

C’mon, seriously? Kadri, Anderson, 9oa and 2nd rounder for 4oa(Demidov)? Beyond Ridiculous!!!!! Sure, getting Demidov could be a great thing, not for certain, and not likely effective in building a complete team.  Even if he is Kucherov 2.0, that is far, far from enough for the team to be successful.  9oa could in the same way of thinking be Iginla 2.0, and not doing that trade means we’d be keeping 3 pieces that would help the team on their own or traded down the road.  I might give 2 pieces for 4oa(Anderson and 2nd rd) but that is it…

When I looked at it after, I was like OHHHH That's a lot, but was just trying to figure out how it would work. 

In Previous message I put out a Weegar and our first for the 4th... That was my original ask opinion.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

When I looked at it after, I was like OHHHH That's a lot, but was just trying to figure out how it would work. 

It’s a tough one.  I’d love to get Demidov but you’ve got to remember the 9oa will also be an excellent player and the adds are just for the difference, which is all theoretical at this point.  Even leaving out the 9oa, isn’t a top pairing RS D on a great contract extremely valuable on its own?  Anderson plus another prospect or couple seconds should be in the ballpark, I’d think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cberg said:

It’s a tough one.  I’d love to get Demidov but you’ve got to remember the 9oa will also be an excellent player and the adds are just for the difference, which is all theoretical at this point.  Even leaving out the 9oa, isn’t a top pairing RS D on a great contract extremely valuable on its own?  Anderson plus another prospect or couple seconds should be in the ballpark, I’d think.

You're right, getting 9th overall and Marner would be a big one. I think the Flames would need more than that in that scenario... I don't see it happening. but dreaming! Dream on Rob2

8 minutes ago, cberg said:

This... Is exactly why I think tonight could be an extremely busy night..

Everyone in the top 10 is gonna get a great player ..but.. it's so fluid many gms will have that one fit that they want over all the rest.. and most will be different .

Will they go all in to get that player ?

If they miss on him will they take a deal to move down cuz they view the rest as similar ? . The first so called Riser could set off a chain reaction..

16 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

This... Is exactly why I think tonight could be an extremely busy night..

Everyone in the top 10 is gonna get a great player ..but.. it's so fluid many gms will have that one fit that they want over all the rest.. and most will be different .

Will they go all in to get that player ?

If they miss on him will they take a deal to move down cuz they view the rest as similar ? . The first so called Riser could set off a chain reaction..

Yeah, if teams focus on 1-2 specific players instead of a group, that could make things very interesting.  There have already been 3 trades to move up, we’ll see shortly.

Ottawa is an interesting team. Shane Pinto is a guy who would make a lot of sense for the Flames. A 6’3” RHS center, 23 years old. Put up 27 points in 41 games. Would be a good fit as a 2nd line center.

The other name that is interesting is Josh Norris. I have heard his name floated once or twice. His cap hit is $7.95m for 6 more years. He is 25 years old. That being said, Stutzle is the number 1 center in Ottawa, and Norris has only played 58 games over the next 2 seasons. So I can see a situation where they keep Pinto as their number 2 center and move Norris to help them elsewhere.

I think Norris would make a lot of sense for Calgary.

57 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Nick Robertson has requested a trade from the Leafs. If you can get him for a late round pick, go for it, otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

32 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Ottawa is an interesting team. Shane Pinto is a guy who would make a lot of sense for the Flames. A 6’3” RHS center, 23 years old. Put up 27 points in 41 games. Would be a good fit as a 2nd line center.

The other name that is interesting is Josh Norris. I have heard his name floated once or twice. His cap hit is $7.95m for 6 more years. He is 25 years old. That being said, Stutzle is the number 1 center in Ottawa, and Norris has only played 58 games over the next 2 seasons. So I can see a situation where they keep Pinto as their number 2 center and move Norris to help them elsewhere.

I think Norris would make a lot of sense for Calgary.

Norris, now making $9.5M, Norris?  I don't know man.

35g in 66 games sounds good, but only 20 assists.

And that was his best season by a wide margin.

And a Covid season, so may of the same teams.

Yes, he hasn't played muc last 2 years.

The injury concern is there for me.

Robertson is a tad bit small for my liking.

He is not his brother.

Cheap add yes, but not really liking the size.

Undersized wingers, unless they are special, are a concern for me.

Just my opinion.  There are things to like about each player.