Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

Just so hard to see the makings of a deal with Cgy-Toronto on Kadri. I do think he'd waive to go there and would agree he'd make a lot of sense for the Leafs. 

Don't see how they get it done under the cap though and I don't see how Calgary extracts a lot of value out of it. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Just so hard to see the makings of a deal with Cgy-Toronto on Kadri. I do think he'd waive to go there and would agree he'd make a lot of sense for the Leafs. 

Don't see how they get it done under the cap though and I don't see how Calgary extracts a lot of value out of it. 

Leafs need to spend the cap on D.  Not sure why Tavares at 33 is too old but Kadri at 33 is exactly what they need.

But I would trade Kadri just to get out of his contract.  We all know it's going to get brutal in about 3 years.

Also, Kadri signed as UFA.  He's literally found money so don't need to extract max value.  Just take whatever we can and call it a day.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Leafs need to spend the cap on D.  Not sure why Tavares at 33 is too old but Kadri at 33 is exactly what they need.

But I would trade Kadri just to get out of his contract.  We all know it's going to get brutal in about 3 years.

Also, Kadri signed as UFA.  He's literally found money so don't need to extract max value.  Just take whatever we can and call it a day.

Dont' think its an age thing so much as a style. Tavares is having to be played on the wing quite regularly to get his offence going. Kadri gives them the natural center to put behind Mathews. Also i'm sure they would want Calgary to eat some cap so they could get a more affordable player. 

Age risk is there for sure which is also why I don't agree with Button that Toronto should be that aggressive.  

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Dont' think its an age thing so much as a style. Tavares is having to be played on the wing quite regularly to get his offence going. Kadri gives them the natural center to put behind Mathews. Also i'm sure they would want Calgary to eat some cap so they could get a more affordable player. 

Age risk is there for sure which is also why I don't agree with Button that Toronto should be that aggressive.  

Don't retain cap.  Better to take on Reeves for 2 years instead.

The Flames are already retaining on Markstrom so they only have 2 more retentions left.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Don't retain cap.  Better to take on Reeves for 2 years instead.

The Flames are already retaining on Markstrom so they only have 2 more retentions left.

I don't see the motivation for the Leafs unless there is cap retention 

29 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The only trade that makes sense for both money and partial value is:

To TOR

Kadri 5x$7M remaining

To CGY

Marner 1x $10.9M ($8.025M actual of which $7.25M is signing bonus)

Reeves 2 x $1.35M

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The only trade that makes sense for both money and partial value is:

To TOR

Kadri 5x$7M remaining

To CGY

Marner 1x $10.9M ($8.025M actual of which $7.25M is signing bonus)

Reeves 2 x $1.35M

This is a popular one but it's a really bad deal for the Leafs and one I don't think Marner would say yes to. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is a popular one but it's a really bad deal for the Leafs and one I don't think Marner would say yes to. 

I know.  Really, value wise, Ras going helps to make it closer in value, but the cap issues make it now work.  If CGY the only deal that Marner is asked to waive for, then he might consider it.  Less pressure here...Maybe.  I would think there would be a host of teams wanting Marner, but BT is likely wanting Kadri over any form of logical return.

I mentioned I saw a proposal for Kadri + Anderson for Marner and a 1st. I also mentioned that Marner most likely has no interest in CGY, so flip him to the Devils, OTT, Carolina or some destination he wants for another first and some prospects. Taking Reeves back isn't going to kill us either as mentioned before if Conroy removes Kadri and or Anderson than I believe it's a rebuild for sure. 

If it does happen.

First rounders

9, 22, 28 and what every Marner brings you.

10 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I mentioned I saw a proposal for Kadri + Anderson for Marner and a 1st. I also mentioned that Marner most likely has no interest in CGY, so flip him to the Devils, OTT, Carolina or some destination he wants for another first and some prospects. Taking Reeves back isn't going to kill us either as mentioned before if Conroy removes Kadri and or Anderson than I believe it's a rebuild for sure. 

If it does happen.

First rounders

9, 22, 28 and what every Marner brings you.

I don't think a player like Marner gets the 1st as well.  Not unless we were retaining 50% of both and even then I doubt it.  

One thing to note about Marner current deal.  He gets his signing bonus this summer so Toronto would be unlikely to trade him after he gets paid that SB.

Just now, JTech780 said:

You can’t trade Kadri just to trade him. It has to be a deal that makes sense. The cap isn’t issue for them and most likely isn’t going to be an issue for awhile.

I would also be surprised if this is driven by genuine interest in Kadri and rather hey can we take advantage of a team in a retool situation and try and get a quality player for less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

To me this seems more like Pagnotta following what Button said last night. I would imagine that they are exploring the trade market on just about every player on the roster.

Yeah i stopped following the FourthPeriod. Very Eklund like where he throws out anything and everything he hears. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I would also be surprised if this is driven by genuine interest in Kadri and rather hey can we take advantage of a team in a retool situation and try and get a quality player for less. 

i liked Kadri last year and his attitude, and would be happy to keep him on and to mentor the coming players.

• Like 1

Just now, robrob74 said:

i liked Kadri last year and his attitude, and would be happy to keep him on and to mentor the coming players.

I don't disagree. Now if someone is willing to give the Flames good value i'm listening but i'm skepitcal that would happen. 

There's probably more value in keeping him than trading him. Not to mention, the Flames are starting to flirt with the cap floor. Going to need to keep some money around. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't disagree. Now if someone is willing to give the Flames good value i'm listening but i'm skepitcal that would happen. 

There's probably more value in keeping him than trading him. Not to mention, the Flames are starting to flirt with the cap floor. Going to need to keep some money around. 

I think once teams start to see their caps too tight the Flames could be a cap dump team if the right player comes along.

not too worried about that if the Flames can manage that.