Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I didn’t read that at all in the article. The article basically is talking about Huska trying to figure what Huberdeau needs to get back to being an elite player. At the end of the article there was speculation from the writer that if things don’t turn around soon for Huberdeau that Calgary might look to move him, but that they aren’t there yet.

Thats what I was getting at…it’s hinted at they may be considering options for later…

my take is Huska was basically getting a read from Hubie to see if he’s willing to give it another year, and if it’s not better for him, if he may be open to a trade…

definite no trade this year but it’s very odd to have a coach put that much time and attention on a player, unless there is more going on…I’m kinda wondering if it was partly to see if he may need some

time away, kinda like Kylington had?  

not a bad thing if he dose…use the 10mil in cap space to take on a couple of bad 1 year contract for some teams nab a few more picks or prospects and who knows have a better Hubie in a years time

2 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Thats what I was getting at…it’s hinted at they may be considering options for later…

my take is Huska was basically getting a read from Hubie to see if he’s willing to give it another year, and if it’s not better for him, if he may be open to a trade…

definite no trade this year but it’s very odd to have a coach put that much time and attention on a player, unless there is more going on…I’m kinda wondering if it was partly to see if he may need some

The coach normally wouldn’t be the one visiting the player to gauge interest in a trade that would be the GM.

It isn’t out of the norm for a coach to visit his players during the offseason and especially his star players. The Flames need Huberdeau to return to some semblance of his former self. I think the coach just did the visit to show Huberdeau that he is willing to work with him to get him back to his former self.

I think top pairing D is certainly a major need, if Utah wants to be a playoff team.

And if Andersson wants to go to a team on a potential upswing, which I wouldn't blame him for, then there could be base for a trade. You also have a decent history of trades with the exCoyote Franchise.

Could we trade him straight up for the 6th overall? If Utah still sees him as the guy from the 21-22 and 22-23 season, then I think yes. Otherwise we might add something or making it a bigger deal imo.

50 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Does Andersson get us 6th overall?

People are screaming how bad we need D and you suggesting trading Anderson?

im ok with 6 OA for Anderson and there are a lot of hockey “insiders” not that that means anything, that believe Anderson is a legit top pair and definitely top 4 d…for whatever that’s worth 

I am not suggesting we give Andersson away by any stretch and I wouldn’t trade him to trade him, but with 2 years left on his deal and at a good cap hit you have to at least look at the possibility of moving him for the right return. If you can turn Andersson into a top 10 pick then that’s the type of return you look for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I didn’t read that at all in the article. The article basically is talking about Huska trying to figure what Huberdeau needs to get back to being an elite player. At the end of the article there was speculation from the writer that if things don’t turn around soon for Huberdeau that Calgary might look to move him, but that they aren’t there yet.

Some big leaps here by the writer I think.  Is it unusual to check in with a player during the summer?  Maybe, but you don't want to be totally disconnected from the player and realize later that he ignored training because he was PO'd.  And maybe there's some areas of his game that the coach wanted him to work on, like skating and edges.  Or stickhandling or shooting.  

The player almost never wanted to shoot, so maybe they talked about that part.  Strangely enough, when he was in close he could score.  He just rarely did that.

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

not a bad thing if he dose…use the 10mil in cap space to take on a couple of bad 1 year contract for some teams nab a few more picks or prospects and who knows have a better Hubie in a years time

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The coach normally wouldn’t be the one visiting the player to gauge interest in a trade that would be the GM.

It isn’t out of the norm for a coach to visit his players during the offseason and especially his star players. The Flames need Huberdeau to return to some semblance of his former self. I think the coach just did the visit to show Huberdeau that he is willing to work with him to get him back to his former self.

Huska mentioned he does a couple of check ins during the offseason with all his players to get their summer progress updates. Apparently Huska was in Montreal anyway, so instead of doing it over the phone he asked to meet over dinner. He said as a coach it's a good way to connect with his players, work with them as people and not as "I'm your boss" bla bla bla... I didn't read that as an are you happy here kind of thing, and if I remember correctly, he even alluded to the fact conversations are different all the time from season ending meetings opposed to mid off season meetings because the initial negativity of the season is distanced...

I like how Huska is with players, but I dunno if his systems are the one for this group... I think it is why Savard didn't stick as Hash Rate Coach/ 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I am not suggesting we give Andersson away by any stretch and I wouldn’t trade him to trade him, but with 2 years left on his deal and at a good cap hit you have to at least look at the possibility of moving him for the right return. If you can turn Andersson into a top 10 pick then that’s the type of return you look for.

im feeling greedy, how about a #6 and a 2nd rounder...

Maybe 6 is better than the first we gave up for Hamonic and Hamilton, but those D better two 2nds as well. So I would like that extra bit. 

Just now, robrob74 said:

is the 6th overall equivalent to or more than or less than the 1st and two 2nds for Hamilton or Hamonic,?

So I’m a little un clear, are you looking for a comparable return as Hmmer and Hamilton if we move Anderson?

if so I’d suggest your probably in the right ball park…except the only thing is this is a heavy D draft so that may lower Anderson’s value ATM…I’d suggest he’s gonna have a much higher return a few weeks after UFA when teams miss out on drafting and signing the D they were hoping to get…just kinda my angle on it…having said that, the X factor is maybe some teams are in need that D now so drafting is not in their time frame, that could work at the Draft in our favour, just not sure?!

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I would do Mangiapane and Andersson for the 6th overall, but for some reason I don't wanna rid the 28th pick in the deal.

Honestly I’d do Anderson straight for 6 OA but not+

id do 28th + a second and a 3rd for 6 OA but not+

Manji easily lands a 2nd maybe more  if he has a good start 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

So I’m a little un clear, are you looking for a comparable return as Hmmer and Hamilton if we move Anderson?

if so I’d suggest your probably in the right ball park…except the only thing is this is a heavy D draft so that may lower Anderson’s value ATM…I’d suggest he’s gonna have a much higher return a few weeks after UFA when teams miss out on drafting and signing the D they were hoping to get…just kinda my angle on it…having said that, the X factor is maybe some teams are in need that D now so drafting is not in their time frame, that could work at the Draft in our favour, just not sure?!

yes, the comparable. For me, Andersson "should" have a lot of value. He is in his prime, is fully developed, right shot, good value contract for two years. The new team would have the rights to sign him next July to an extension.

13 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Honestly I’d do Anderson straight for 6 OA but not+

id do 28th + a second and a 3rd for 6 OA but not+

Manji easily lands a 2nd maybe more  if he has a good start 

28th + a 2nd + a 3rd doest get you the 6th not even close. Chicago gave up a 2nd to move from 20 to 18.

I doubt you get a 2nd for Mangiapane, even if you retain. Maybe a 3rd with retention at the deadline but a 4th is more likely.

• Haha 1

So one thing I have noticed is many of these kids are great with the media very impressive by comparison to 10-15 years ago.

Tij is amazing in the media, he’s definitely got capacity and face of franchise qualities…100% like his dad that way. To be clear he’s not the same style but every bit as good but in his own way.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

28th + a 2nd + a 3rd doest get you the 6th not even close. Chicago gave up a 2nd to move from 20 to 18.

I doubt you get a 2nd for Mangiapane, even if you retain. Maybe a 3rd with retention at the deadline but a 4th is more likely.

No way you get less than a second for Manji at TDL…no way, though yes retention may be needed. 

having said that, retention may be needed even if he rebounds to start the season and is tracking at 20 goals on the season, retention is probably part of it…most deals seems to now but that’s the cap world, more often than not a team adding at TDL needs retention and this year seems to be retention and 3rd party brokers to make trades… just the way it is now, so

much so I hadn’t mentions it cause I just figured if moving Manji it would at TDL and retention would have to be done.

as for the 28th+ I had mentioned yes i totally agree, my point was more to emphasize 28th + Anderson is over pay, that’s undervaluing Anderson…

29 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

No way you get less than a second for Manji at TDL…no way, though yes retention may be needed. 

having said that, retention may be needed even if he rebounds to start the season and is tracking at 20 goals on the season, retention is probably part of it…most deals seems to now but that’s the cap world, more often than not a team adding at TDL needs retention and this year seems to be retention and 3rd party brokers to make trades… just the way it is now, so

much so I hadn’t mentions it cause I just figured if moving Manji it would at TDL and retention would have to be done.

as for the 28th+ I had mentioned yes i totally agree, my point was more to emphasize 28th + Anderson is over pay, that’s undervaluing Anderson…

The Mangiapane you saw last year is what he is. He isn’t a 30+ goal guy. 40 point, 3rd line wingers who are undersized don’t get you 2nd round picks.

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The Mangiapane you saw last year is what he is. He isn’t a 30+ goal guy. 40 point, 3rd line wingers who are undersized don’t get you 2nd round picks.

20 goal is about what his norm

is, that’s usually a second regardless of size or position…well maybe a low first as a Ctr cause they generally have more Pts from assists…but wingers under 30 scoring 20+ you getting bare minimum 2nd.

now if Manji was 30+ ok I see where your coming from cause that’s the point where decline/stall out and decline starts, he’s still in his progression years to his prime for I think 2 more years.

also, i believe he a pretty good world

cup performance, mot

as good as a few years ago but good enough that it was noticed…last year was a bad year, the year before probably over expectations…this World Cup about what he is and that’s pretty much a regular 20 goal scorer 

3 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

20 goal is about what his norm

is, that’s usually a second regardless of size or position…well maybe a first as a Ctr…but wingers under 30 scoring 20+ you getting bare minimum 2nd 

He has only scored more than 18 goals in a season once and that was when he scored 35. So I would say his norm is more in the 15-18 range.

3rd line wingers almost never get you a 2nd round pick. Anthony Beauvillier, who is similar to Mangiapane returned a 5th at the deadline. Heck Tarasenko, with 50% retained didn’t even return a 2nd.

Read this somewhere and got me thinking

To Toronto 

Kadri 

Anderson 

TO CGY

Marner 

Now for me, I would want their 1st as well and we could retain 25% of Andreson's contract. We don't need Marner so flip him, to Carolina, Florida, NY Rangers, Buffalo, Seattle, Utah maybe even Philly would trade a 1st and prospects for a 100-Point guy. So let say Utah wants him, we now have 

Picks 6th, 9th, 23rd, and 28th,  possibly some 2nd's and some prospects.