Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

But can he help Wolf become a bonafide #1? Is that worth considering? Or are we looking for, "the best goalie not in the NHL" again, if things go south?

You either have it or you don't.  No one taught Kipper how to be a bonafide #1.  No amount of hand holding can mold Vladar into a #1.  Again, you can't turn lead into gold.

Who taught Seider to be a #1 D in Detroit?  Lidstrom?  Come on now.

Wolf had this year to learn already also.

At the end of the day, the Flames will be in retool for 2-years.  Spend some time in the basement and reload the cupboards with prospects.  We're not ready to contend right now.  If there's an opportunity to turn a 30+ asset into a younger one, then we have to consider it.  If I had it my way, then I'm trading everyone over the age of 30.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I really hope the Flames didn't overplay their hand here...

That's a really curious move for the Devils though. Allen isn't great and is signed for next year too. Really odd what the Devils have done here

We'll never know what happened.  Was it Maloney?  Was it ownership?  Did we have a deal in place for Holtz + 1st but the team didn't want to retain?

Market isn't going to get any better this summer.  Markstrom has a NMC so it's not like he can be traded to any team we want.

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I really hope the Flames didn't overplay their hand here...

That's a really curious move for the Devils though. Allen isn't great and is signed for next year too. Really odd what the Devils have done here

I think they may have? But the Flames seem firm on not trading Marky until off-season.

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

That save percentage fits about what they e got from the other three guys. It’s a move that says “we tried”

Well, that's it for Markstrom trade.  Not sure who refused, likely both.  OK, just over an hour to go, seems like a quiet day for Flames...

Just now, The_People1 said:

We'll never know what happened.  Was it Maloney?  Was it ownership?  Did we have a deal in place for Holtz + 1st but the team didn't want to retain?

Market isn't going to get any better this summer.  Markstrom has a NMC so it's not like he can be traded to any team we want.

Probably not but I really don't think it was ownership driven. 

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You either have it or you don't.  No one taught Kipper how to be a bonafide #1.  No amount of hand holding can mold Vladar into a #1.  Again, you can't turn lead into gold.

Who taught Seider to be a #1 D in Detroit?  Lidstrom?  Come on now.

Wolf had this year to learn already also.

At the end of the day, the Flames will be in retool for 2-years.  Spend some time in the basement and reload the cupboards with prospects.  We're not ready to contend right now.  If there's an opportunity to turn a 30+ asset into a younger one, then we have to consider it.  If I had it my way, then I'm trading everyone over the age of 30.

letme toss a bit of an olive branch here .. to be clear I'm not "Marky" or bust" .. Im against tossing Wolf in the fire.

you add a proven starting vet.. one that gives a winning chance every night at a lower salary .. I'm all for that..    No Campbells , no over the hill Reimers... Talbot comes to mind.. somebody who plays at a high level who will challenge wolf and teach him what it takes at this level and deflect any growing pains 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

letme toss a bit of an olive branch here .. to be clear I'm not "Marky" or bust" .. Im against tossing Wolf in the fire.

you add a proven starting vet.. one that gives a winning chance every night at a lower salary .. I'm all for that..    No Campbells , no over the hill Reimers... Talbot comes to mind.. somebody who plays at a high level who will challenge wolf and teach him what it takes at this level and deflect any growing pains 

it sounds like Markstrom is also a bit upset with the team, again, not in the room so it's a take with a grain of salt. I like salt a lot though, haha

50% of Allen's contract retained doesn't mean the Devils would still be in a position to acquire Markstrom in the summer if they want to. would need to do something with either him or Vanecek but this goesn't mean they can't do it. 

Does it change their desire? time will tell. 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Definitely.  If you want a shelter, then sign a vet to be the punching bag for $2-mil.  We're not expected to be very good for the next 2-years.  By year 3, Wolf will be 25 years old and then should be in his prime.

In the meantime, we should want to turn Markstrom into a young piece that can grow with the rest of the team for the next 3 years.

I wonder what the NJ offer was. It's much easier to get a 1st round pick in-season than at the draft. By June, teams have their list and can place a name and face to that pick. Not really the case at the TDL.

The summer will be interesting. Markstrom and Ullmark will both likely move. As good as Markstrom has been, come draft time, you're likely looking at a package centered around a 2nd+. 

Man i'm not sure there is a GM out there that looks as silly as Tom Fitzgerald right now. What a mess of a season. 

if you wanted to shelter your young guys, why not get Ranntta off waivers and hold onto the pick?

Just so curious all around 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Man i'm not sure there is a GM out there that looks as silly as Tom Fitzgerald right now. What a mess of a season. 

if you wanted to shelter your young guys, why not get Ranntta off waivers and hold onto the pick?

Just so curious all around 

Tough season for them.  High expectations coming into the season but had to pivot into sellers in the final week before TDL.  

I do wonder if the Flames had too high of a price here. I don't think they were dealing markstrom to the Devils without Mercer plus being the deal. Fair to question if that's too high of a price and they cost themselves a decent deal/player (Holtz for example).

But in all the reading i've done, and including my own spin, I really don't think Conroy/Flames are the reason this fell apart. End of the day I just don't think the valuations were there. 

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Definitely.  If you want a shelter, then sign a vet to be the punching bag for $2-mil.  We're not expected to be very good for the next 2-years.  By year 3, Wolf will be 25 years old and then should be in his prime.

In the meantime, we should want to turn Markstrom into a young piece that can grow with the rest of the team for the next 3 years.

Exactly this!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I do wonder if the Flames had too high of a price here. I don't think they were dealing markstrom to the Devils without Mercer plus being the deal. Fair to question if that's too high of a price and they cost themselves a decent deal/player (Holtz for example).

But in all the reading i've done, and including my own spin, I really don't think Conroy/Flames are the reason this fell apart. End of the day I just don't think the valuations were there. 

Very possible the returns sucked and they said nope he’s more value to stay on the team for now…call us on draft day if you decide to offer something of value.

12 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I wonder what the NJ offer was. It's much easier to get a 1st round pick in-season than at the draft. By June, teams have their list and can place a name and face to that pick. Not really the case at the TDL.

The summer will be interesting. Markstrom and Ullmark will both likely move. As good as Markstrom has been, come draft time, you're likely looking at a package centered around a 2nd+. 

1000% man.  Draft day is where draft pick values balloon to its peak.  Avoid buying picks on draft day.  It usually doesn't end well.

Likewise, TDL is the worst time to buy roster players.

Summer is when deals are fair.

Buffalo and New Jersey, Detroit thanks you for never attempting to address your goaltending effectively. We'll take that WC spot. I mean really, they barely even try.

The Flames didn't overplay their hand, those teams have BT's old view that goalies are only a 3rd liners value.

Allen should fit their philosophy perfectly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

1000% man.  Draft day is where draft pick values balloon to its peak.  Avoid buying picks on draft day.  It usually doesn't end well.

Likewise, TDL is the worst time to buy roster players.

Summer is when deals are fair.

Sooo, maybe that late VCR pick becomes worth alot

more come

draft day 

Just now, conundrumed said:

Buffalo and New Jersey, Detroit thanks you for never attempting to address your goaltending effectively. We'll take that WC spot. I mean really, they barely even try.

The Flames didn't overplay their hand, those teams have BT's old view that goalies are only a 3rd liners value.

Allen should fit their philosophy perfectly.

And when they miss the playoffs, come this summer will need to fix that issue…

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

As a joke. They trade for Allen to send to Flames for Marky... lol of course plus the deal they had, but there's the vet to insulate Wolf lol.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

As a joke. They trade for Allen to send to Flames for Marky... lol of course plus the deal they had, but there's the vet to insulate Wolf lol.

absolutely not .. no over the hill placefillers .. or notorious useless ones .. or projects 

I'm sure there are more ..but only Talbot comes to mind 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

absolutely not .. no over the hill placefillers .. or notorious useless ones .. or projects 

I'm sure there are more ..but only Talbot comes to mind 

that's not me saying I want Allen. 🤣

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Very creative mind there.  Had a good laugh, but who knows?  I'm pretty sure Allen isn't an upgrade over what NJ already had.