Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

I'm kinda looking forward to the D minus both Hanifin and Tanev to see where we at. It's maybe not pretty, but you don't know until it happens. Stranger things have happened with, "holy crap, that guy isn't a plug - he needed a chance"! stuff.

As a Wings fan, Walman was pretty much a throw-in with the Leddy trade. Now he's top-pairing with Seider and that isn't changing, likely ever. These things happen, there's thousands of great hockey players that just needed the right spot at the right time.

Until you get there, you never really know.

It's exciting as far as I'm concerned.

Agree, you never truly know who can/will step up.  Glad there is only 3 days left, time to get this over so they can move forward with the group for the future.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'm kinda looking forward to the D minus both Hanifin and Tanev to see where we at. It's maybe not pretty, but you don't know until it happens. Stranger things have happened with, "holy crap, that guy isn't a plug - he needed a chance"! stuff.

As a Wings fan, Walman was pretty much a throw-in with the Leddy trade. Now he's top-pairing with Seider and that isn't changing, likely ever. These things happen, there's thousands of great hockey players that just needed the right spot at the right time.

Huge opportunity for Kylington. Are you a top 4 dman or did you look that way with Tanev?

I'm excited for him. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

i think also, that chemistry plays a big role. We see Pospisil and Zary with Kadri. With any other players, the two rooks might not be as effective.

34 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Can wait until Oesterle plays top pair.  We need to get back into top 9 picks right?

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Going to add fuel to the fire that it's the Florida teams after him

Who made the schedule? I mean, couldn't make this up.  Fly with the Flames to TB and then play against the Flames tomorrow.

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Can wait until Oesterle plays top pair.  We need to get back into top 9 picks right?

Which is great if you look at a career 6-8 older dmen. Guys named Lidstrom and Weber etc, nobody expected up-and-coming HOFers. I mentioned Walman, but Forsling, Montour, even Weegar and many others. They do grow on trees, but it's all about right time, right place. We've never really afforded that on our roster. It's exciting to see that we have that now. You should be happy. Drafting great players is one thing, but you need roster spots with flexible cap. Conroy's moving to do that. Had to. BT had us locked in at max cap. If you want change, he's making great adjustments to do that. Roster flux, wiggle out of cap hell. I like what he's doing.

Do you just openly hyperbole the worst possible outcomes in your everyday life too?lol

I think that he's going about it the right way. It's going to take time and patience.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Huge opportunity for Kylington. Are you a top 4 dman or did you look that way with Tanev?

I'm excited for him. 

I think he needs the right partner.  With Hanifin gone, I'm not sure what you can do with the group.

Don't really think Gilbert or Oesterle are the answer (especially after last night).

The players in the AHL that maybe should get a longer look; Solo, Kuznetsov and Poirier.

Poirier has played all of 4 games this season up to now, so I think you have to wait.

The other two need to be paired with the right guy.

I think that part of the return for either Markstrom or Hanifin should be a young D.

More likely with a Markstrom trade.

It may be crazy, but I might line up the current stock this way:

Kylington-Weegar

Solo-Andersson

Poirier-Gilbert

Kuznetsov

My feelings about Oesterle is that he really only can play with better players.

We don't have that luxury.

Which is great if you look at a career 6-8 older dmen. Guys named Lidstrom and Weber etc, nobody expected up-and-coming HOFers. I mentioned Walman, but Forsling, Montour, even Weegar and many others. They do grow on trees, but it's all about right time, right place. We've never really afforded that on our roster. It's exciting to see that we have that now. You should be happy. Drafting great players is one thing, but you need roster spots with flexible cap. Conroy's moving to do that. Had to. BT had us locked in at max cap. If you want change, he's making great adjustments to do that. Roster flux, wiggle out of cap hell. I like what he's doing.

Do you just openly hyperbole the worst possible outcomes in your everyday life too?lol

I think that he's going about it the right way. It's going to take time and patience.

Oesterle has mostly played with 7/8 guys and looked no better than them at times.

He distributes and carries well enough, but gets lost or so it seems.

We may have to pair him with Ras, since we don't have a lot of choices.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I think he needs the right partner.  With Hanifin gone, I'm not sure what you can do with the group.

Don't really think Gilbert or Oesterle are the answer (especially after last night).

The players in the AHL that maybe should get a longer look; Solo, Kuznetsov and Poirier.

Poirier has played all of 4 games this season up to now, so I think you have to wait.

The other two need to be paired with the right guy.

I think that part of the return for either Markstrom or Hanifin should be a young D.

More likely with a Markstrom trade.

It may be crazy, but I might line up the current stock this way:

Kylington-Weegar

Solo-Andersson

Poirier-Gilbert

Kuznetsov

My feelings about Oesterle is that he really only can play with better players.

We don't have that luxury.

So you challenge Kylington to be the guy carrying a dman. He shouldn't have to be carried by a partner now. The joys of stepping up when the opportunity presents itself. Tanev and Hanifin aren't in his way. He can jump all over the opportunity. Not to speak for cross, but things are wide open for Kylington to be what he wants to be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Fitz paving NJD fans on a Holtz trade???

The player scratch and these comments don't really suggest a trade, just that he is like a lot of players that aren't player a full ice game.  Certainly isn't selling him to Flames fans.  LOL

4 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Fitz paving NJD fans on a Holtz trade???

That's not how you do it if that's your intent.  You don't single out a player like that if you are trying to build his value. 

So you challenge Kylington to be the guy carrying a dman. He shouldn't have to be carried by a partner now. The joys of stepping up when the opportunity presents itself. Tanev and Hanifin aren't in his way. He can jump all over the opportunity. Not to speak for cross, but things are wide open for Kylington to be what he wants to be.

So, I assume you mean that Weegar-Ras should be the top unit?  I was suggesting Kylington-Weegar because I see their styles meshing better, not that Weegar has to carry him.  I think Ras has to show he can carry a player, or at least be paired with a guy that can cover his defensive lapses.  

Holtz as a return is starting to grow on me. I would prefer a center or a defenseman with top 4 upside, but Holtz  has shown that he can produce in limited minutes. Only Hischier and Bratt are averaging more points per 60 minutes on NJ, he is also 1st in goals per 60 minutes (both averages are at 5v5). 

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, I assume you mean that Weegar-Ras should be the top unit?  I was suggesting Kylington-Weegar because I see their styles meshing better, not that Weegar has to carry him.  I think Ras has to show he can carry a player, or at least be paired with a guy that can cover his defensive lapses.  

Kylington needs re-signing, so I think you have to roll him out with weaker partners sometimes to see what you've got, and eventually for how much.

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That's not how you do it if that's your intent.  You don't single out a player like that if you are trying to build his value. 

Could be Conroy is already sold on Holtz and Fitz is prepping NJ fans on losing him???

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Holtz as a return is starting to grow on me. I would prefer a center or a defenseman with top 4 upside, but Holtz  has shown that he can produce in limited minutes. Only Hischier and Bratt are averaging more points per 60 minutes on NJ, he is also 1st in goals per 60 minutes (both averages are at 5v5). 

I think it's fair to say he isn't a "start the car" type return. That be Mercer but for the same reasons NJ is resisting given him up. 

He's got his warts and I for sure see why people are wary of him. I think my take is less about him and more about the value. Do we really think Markstrom is going to return a piece that is better than Holtz, a former top 10 pick?

I don't think he does so i'd bank on the upside personally. 

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Oof moment for sure. Terrible message/statement to send Holtz publicly. Detroit busted hard on Zadina. You still don't air that to media on your worst day. It SO reflects on your organization. Handle things with grace or, well, do this. This is why I'm a Flames/Wings fan. You don't bury guys, especially young ones, because you're a Satoshi Nakamototy GM. Fire your coach for your failure to address goaltending.

NJ and Buffalo, it's why they're always Satoshi Nakamotoholes, hockey or otherwise.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Kylington needs re-signing, so I think you have to roll him out with weaker partners sometimes to see what you've got, and eventually for how much.

He's one pending UFA that nobody seems to worry about.  Good reason I think.  The Flames did him right.  Yeah, I know they had to but they were classy with him at least.  And he has little trade value this year.  At least now.

Prior to Tanev trade, he was paired with Pachal.  Whoops completely forgot about him.  I think last night it was Oesterle-Pachal.  Pachal is pretty decent IMHO.  Not 2nd pairing yet, but could get there as a Tanev type D.  

I was wondering what the best would be, but was ignoring evaluating the top players.

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Oof moment for sure. Terrible message/statement to send Holtz publicly. Detroit busted hard on Zadina. You still don't air that to media on your worst day. It SO reflects on your organization. Handle things with grace or, well, do this. This is why I'm a Flames/Wings fan. You don't bury guys, especially young ones, because you're a Satoshi Nakamototy GM. Fire your coach for your failure to address goaltending.

NJ and Buffalo, it's why they're always Satoshi Nakamotoholes, hockey or otherwise.

He just signed his extension so I can't imagine he's on the hot seat but boy is Fitz looking bad in this. 

- Ruff was always a pretty questionable hire

- The Meier trade/signing is looking rough

- Toffoli/Sharky trade isn't looking good

- Failing to address a major need and then publicly call out players and point to holes in their game. Holes that goaltending would really, really help with

- Fire said coach in large part due to weak goaltending

He just sounds all over the place these days. Kind of like he can't believe he's here and is reaching at straws trying to get out.  Sounds like a guy under a lot of pressure. 

Just give the Flames Mercer for Markstrom and you'll feel better. 

• Haha 1

Just now, conundrumed said:

Tommy boy has a small window to improve the team.  If he doesn't make a play for a goalie now, he won't have a job this summer.  Underselling a player in front of media is dumb.  Sutter type thing to do.  Worse for a GM.  Almost sounds like he is making excuses for the coach or himself.  Blame Holtz and a bunch of unnamed players.

So, TF may make a huge "blow the doors off" offer to fix the goalie situation right now.  I doubt it's Mercer, but maybe 1st + Holtz + Bahl.  Add a conditional if they make the playoffs.

Just now, travel_dude said:

Tommy boy has a small window to improve the team.  If he doesn't make a play for a goalie now, he won't have a job this summer.  Underselling a player in front of media is dumb.  Sutter type thing to do.  Worse for a GM.  Almost sounds like he is making excuses for the coach or himself.  Blame Holtz and a bunch of unnamed players.

So, TF may make a huge "blow the doors off" offer to fix the goalie situation right now.  I doubt it's Mercer, but maybe 1st + Holtz + Bahl.  Add a conditional if they make the playoffs.

Signed an extension 2 months ago and got a promotion. He isn't going anywhere.