Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Problem is they really dont have much to give.. ?  Without picks it pretty much has to start with Lundell +.. and I can't see them doing that .   

I would say that the early rumour was Lundell.

To make it reasonable, it should be Lundell + Forsling or Montour or Mikkola + 2025 2nd.

Mikkola in the deal makes more sense than say Montour, who had 73 points last year.

Lundell and one of those D would need raises next year.

Montour could easily make what Hanifin was offered here.

Lundell alone maybe is worth the deal, but we have to take salary to do it.

That involves the D and the cost to take salary is the 2nd.

Or do a 3rd this year and a 4th next year.

Make one of them conditional of making conference final.

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The entire NHL is littered with players that like the devil's dandruff recreationally. It's fairly well known. I can easily name 20 that haven't been publicized. It's pretty widespread. Every time a story breaks, I just go, "yup".

Hey, glad to see you back here.  Been awhile

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would say that the early rumour was Lundell.

To make it reasonable, it should be Lundell + Forsling or Montour or Mikkola + 2025 2nd.

Mikkola in the deal makes more sense than say Montour, who had 73 points last year.

Lundell and one of those D would need raises next year.

Montour could easily make what Hanifin was offered here.

Lundell alone maybe is worth the deal, but we have to take salary to do it.

That involves the D and the cost to take salary is the 2nd.

Or do a 3rd this year and a 4th next year.

Make one of them conditional of making conference final.

Problem is both Montour and Forsling are UFA so takes them out of trade consideration 

19 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Problem is both Montour and Forsling are UFA so takes them out of trade consideration 

So, if you make the trade today, then you have the chance to flip the asset.

Or you sign him when he gets here.

If it was Forsling, then it would likely be an easy sign.

I doubt it would be Montour, since he's quite the player there.

In either case, they become trade bait.

FLA isn't trading either during a cup run.

But trading because of needing to sign Hanifin and Reinhart?

Anyway, just musing.

I would be fine with Lundell + Mikkola + a pick.

Mikkola has term.

If we needed to retain salary, then add a pick

31 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Exactly..hence why I think they are longshsots unless they get really creative..tbh Boston has a couple pieces I could accept.. but it's thin..

I think Florida might pose a greater sign and trade or trade and sign.  I think Florida may know where they stand with Montour and Forsling on an extension and maybe want to pivot.  Lundell might not be a piece they want to trade but can they keep him with all the other UFA's to sign this year and next.

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I think Florida might pose a greater sign and trade or trade and sign.  I think Florida may know where they stand with Montour and Forsling on an extension and maybe want to pivot.  Lundell might not be a piece they want to trade but can they keep him with all the other UFA's to sign this year and next.

If they are "going for it" they should trade for Hanifin and then sign him. If they're worried about the Montours, maybe trade them to recoup the picks they lose? Or use those picks to trade to Calgary?

I think the risk with Florida is I think that’s where Hanifin wants to be. So how much are they going to give you instead of just trying to sign him in the offseason for free. But of a cat and mouse game here

I would love to get Lundell but it feels far fetched to me 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think the risk with Florida is I think that’s where Hanifin wants to be. So how much are they going to give you instead of just trying to sign him in the offseason for free. But of a cat and mouse game here

the good thing is, with the Tkachuk deals while a different circumstance, they gave a decent return. Maybe need something similar? I get complete difference! 

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Well, if that's the case then why are they interested now?

Could just be smoke, but it does make sense to trade now.

Team has one of the best chances in the east to win the cup.

Maybe load up?

Hanifin doesn't miss games, unlike some of their D.

Here's a deal on the (maybe unrealistic part) centering on Markstrom NOT going to NJD.

Florida :

gets *

Hannifin at 50 %  

NJD :

gets *

Forsling

Spencer Knight

Cgy :

gets *

Lundel

Fla - 2024 4th

NJD - 2024 3rd

NJD - 2025 2nd and 2025 3rd

Florida gives up Lundel, Forsling, 2024 4th, Spencer Knight (buried penalty 3.35 M) and makes cap room to sign Hannifin

NJD gives up 2024 4th, 2025 2nd 2025 3rd for a decent defenseman Forsling and a young goalie Spencer Knight that even though buried in the miners is still better than either goalie they have.

CGY gives up Hannifin at 50 % for Lundel, Fla 2024 4th, NJD 2024 4th, NJD 2025 2nd and 3rd. 

28 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Here's a deal on the (maybe unrealistic part) centering on Markstrom NOT going to NJD.

Florida :

gets *

Hannifin at 50 %  

NJD :

gets *

Forsling

Spencer Knight

Cgy :

gets *

Lundel

Fla - 2024 4th

NJD - 2024 3rd

NJD - 2025 2nd and 2025 3rd

Florida gives up Lundel, Forsling, 2024 4th, Spencer Knight (buried penalty 3.35 M) and makes cap room to sign Hannifin

NJD gives up 2024 4th, 2025 2nd 2025 3rd for a decent defenseman Forsling and a young goalie Spencer Knight that even though buried in the miners is still better than either goalie they have.

CGY gives up Hannifin at 50 % for Lundel, Fla 2024 4th, NJD 2024 4th, NJD 2025 2nd and 3rd. 

So NJ trades three picks for a goalie not even in the NHL.

Vanacek is (apart from being injured) a better NHL goalie than Knight.

AT present.  Last year was the last time Knight even played up.

What are we sending to NJ trading, since I didn't see anything going directly back to them.

I think it has to be something, even future considerations.

Maybe I just don't get the moving parts.

I see us getting a bunch of assets for Hanifin at 50%.

I see NJ getting a top D and a goalie for picks, if they are going through FLA.

I see FLA giving up 3 players and get Hanifin.

Creative, but I don't think FLA does that much.

Would be easier if they just traded Lundell and Forsling to us.

I think Florida will try to get Forsling resigned he has been great for them. I can see Montour wanting to get paid based on the 72 points he put up last year, but he has come back to earth this year, so I could see them letting him walk.

Hanifin makes a lot of sense for Florida. I think you have to do everything you can to get Lundell in return. Mackie Samoskevich would be a good get as well.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe I just don't get the moving parts.

I see us getting a bunch of assets for Hanifin at 50%.

I see NJ getting a top D and a goalie for picks, if they are going through FLA.

I see FLA giving up 3 players and get Hanifin.

With one player Spencer Knight buried in the minors with a 3.15m cap hit. Fla will move on from Forsling or Montour. TBD

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well, if that's the case then why are they interested now?

Could just be smoke, but it does make sense to trade now.

Team has one of the best chances in the east to win the cup.

Maybe load up?

Hanifin doesn't miss games, unlike some of their D.

I think they’d be interested now to secure him on an extension

just saying the price may not be as high if they don’t feel they need to outbid. 

IMO this supports what I was saying. I don’t think Markstrom waived nor did ownership nix a deal.  he simply didn’t like the emotional roller coaster of being told he might go and then changing course. 

what’s interesting about that to me, is the only reason to be upset is if he did actually want to go to NJ

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

Well if Fla wants Markstrom that’s the price they have to pay, if that’s their only real asset that’s what it will take…don’t give don’t get 

54 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Well if Fla wants Markstrom that’s the price they have to pay, if that’s their only real asset that’s what it will take…don’t give don’t get 

I presume you mean Hanifin. Markstrom isn’t going to Florida. 

Can set your price all you want but as a pending UFa market will dictate the return and not the flames, unless they are cool with him walking for nothing. That’s the game I’m referring to. How much is Hanifin worth to Florida if they feel they will get him for free in the offseason? What’s he worth if his agents are making it known he won’t sign in other places and thus forcing those teams to lower their offers?

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Can set your price all you want but as a pending UFa market will dictate the return and not the flames, unless they are cool with him walking for nothing. That’s the game I’m referring to. How much is Hanifin worth to Florida if they feel they will get him for free in the offseason? What’s he worth if his agents are making it known he won’t sign in other places and thus forcing those teams to lower their offers?

So true ..I've said for a long time they should reinstate compensatory picks for UFA, much like the NFL still has. Lose a player for nothing you get a pick based on the contract they signed . That would alleviate a lot of issues.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The thing about Zito, he goes out and gets what he wants.

The expectation on a Sam Bennett return from many was a 3rd. Zito paid a 2nd and a prospect that was a recent 2nd.

When Tkachuk was going to be traded, he crushed the Canes and Blues offers. 

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The thing about Zito, he goes out and gets what he wants.

The expectation on a Sam Bennett return from many was a 3rd. Zito paid a 2nd and a prospect that was a recent 2nd.

When Tkachuk was going to be traded, he crushed the Canes and Blues offers. 

You are correct ..but it comes down to what it's worth to have him now and the ability to give him an 8th year ...and just waiting and getting for free (return wise) in a few months ..  that's the only leverage the Flames have with Florida 

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

In some aspects, FLA's window is now.  Reinhart going UFA, Forsling, Montour, etc.  it's now or never.  Hanifin does more for them this Cup run than signing him in the summer.

Absolutely agree.. I'm just agreeing that it should start with a player like Lundell..  their best prospect is considered a 3rd/4th liner at best.. starting with a Lundell would make me ok with a 3rd this year and 2nd next year .or even their 2026 1st ..unprotected 

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Absolutely agree.. I'm just agreeing that it should start with a player like Lundell..  their best prospect is considered a 3rd/4th liner at best.. starting with a Lundell would make me ok with a 3rd this year and 2nd next year .or even their 2026 1st ..unprotected 

Lundell was huge for them in last year's run.  I really doubt they trade him even though he's a former top pick that's blocked on the depth chart.

I haven't been following Spencer Knight but is he so bad that he's been sent to the AHL?  If we trade Markstrom, then it would be nice to have some insurance around Wolf (in case he doesn't pan out).  From what I know, Knight is low IQ and relies on his angles and being big.  But could we develop him into a starter?  Maybe he's a piece we should consider.