Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

Just now, The_Tribal Chief said:

Is the player from The Stars Coming up or Staying in Ahl

He'll report to the wranglers... May take a few days ..he's a Russian on a US visa so they need to get him a Canadian one .. so may take just a few days longer 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The injury risk is real and fair.

Flames currently sit in the 14th with 3 games to go before the deadline. Unless you were projecting them to win all 3 with Tanev and not think they are going to lose all 3 then this trade has almost no impact on their own first round pick. Nor is the value of 14th to 11 worth 2 2nd round picks. 

Well, we can disagree on the picks..   here's what makes me nervous:

I would have preferred if they had traded Markstrom before Tanev.    I fear that Markstrom may not look so invincible without Tanev in the line up.

It's not a Huge fear.  but it's enough to make me nervous.

Ultimately, we won't know how to evaluate Conroy until we see what happens with Markstrom.   And then of course what he does with the picks.     If he gets good value for Markstrom then I personally can Easily justify this trade, even call it a very good trade.      If he flops on Markstrom...different story.

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I never heard the Flames were engaging in extension talks with Tanev, only Hanifin.  But word was Tanev wanted a 3/4-year deal.  I mean, no thanks.

It's similar to the Toffoli situation.  Conroy didn't want to pay an aging player to term.  Tanev was a great player and all but, sorry.

I think it was reported that they talked before Christmas.  He wanted more and I think it was both term and dollars, than the Flames were willing to give.  No point talking after that when you are that far off.

15 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I would have preferred if they had traded Markstrom before Tanev.    I fear that Markstrom may not look so invincible without Tanev in the line up.

Ultimately, we won't know how to evaluate Conroy until we see what happens with Markstrom.   And then of course what he does with the picks.     If he gets good value for Markstrom then I personally can Easily justify this trade, even call it a very good trade.      If he flops on Markstrom...different story.

I'm just pointing out that if your desire is to get their current first round pick lower then this trade should have been done weeks ago, or in the summer. I think you get less but 3 games just isn't going to swing their first round pick much, and maybe at all. Flames with Tanev could have easily lost their next 3 games. 

I agree that they should trade Markstrom and i'm of the opinion that deal should be done already. Not willing to put that on conroy totally because i don't know for sure what the package was and the NJ ask but I do think the offer was good enough that i'm surprised the trigger wasn't pulled. 

but not ready to criticize as I don't know enough facts. 

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I don't think the upcoming game really is impacted by the Tanev trade.  

PITTS is one of those teams that can beat you or look horrible.

Tanev is not going to do much with Malkin or Sid.

So, Markstrom is not going to look horrible if we are in fact trading him.

The teams that want him know exactly what he is.

Remember that Markstrom's HD SA% is one of the best in the league.

His goalie stats on unblocked shots are in the top 3.

His actual goals against are better than Shesterken and tied with Helly.

Those that want him will make a trade if it makes sense now or in the summer.

I think for Hanifin i'm expecting a 1st, B+ level prospect and an additional mid round pick. That's the value i'm putting on him. 

Could be variations of what you get (ie 2 C+ prospects instead of 1 B+), but that's the valuation range I'm thinking. 

1 minute ago, redfire11 said:

My expectations are lower for Hannifin just because of the market and what the teams that want/need him are able to pay. 

2nd (conditioned to a 1st).  B+ to A prospect, and a top six forward

That is what I’d suspect is the return to a team where he’s gonna be a pure rental player, if it’s to a team where he will sign long term I think it’s gonna be a better return 

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think for Hanifin i'm expecting a 1st, B+ level prospect and an additional mid round pick. That's the value i'm putting on him. 

Could be variations of what you get (ie 2 C+ prospects instead of 1 B+), but that's the valuation range I'm thinking. 

4 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

My expectations are lower for Hannifin just because of the market and what the teams that want/need him are able to pay. 

Well the conditional adds a level of complexity, since some teams may have a 1st and no 2nd or a 2nd and no first.  Of the top teams, Vegas and CAR have all their first 3 round picks this year.  FLA, Tampa and BOS are problems.  

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wonder if Hanifin would go right to the deadline now.  It sounds like the offers aren't there because he's a pure rental.  I expect a 1st + mid-prospect + NHL player.  Would be disappointed if it's less.

Rentals are rentals unfortunately.  We can sign a guy just like Hannifin  back up in the off-season, and sell him again at tdl if we retain what we overpaid.

They rentals.   I don't know which GM to blame for that, because we should never be in a situation of selling rentals.    But its facts.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I'm just pointing out that if your desire is to get their current first round pick lower then this trade should have been done weeks ago, or in the summer. I think you get less but 3 games just isn't going to swing their first round pick much, and maybe at all. Flames with Tanev could have easily lost their next 3 games. 

I agree that they should trade Markstrom and i'm of the opinion that deal should be done already. Not willing to put that on conroy totally because i don't know for sure what the package was and the NJ ask but I do think the offer was good enough that i'm surprised the trigger wasn't pulled. 

but not ready to criticize as I don't know enough facts. 

just remember what I always tell people on here, stay positive

Looks like Flames did indeed try and chat extension with Tanev but were told "thanks, but no thanks"

That’s why, when Flames general manager Craig Conroy circled back in recent weeks about the possibility of a contract extension, the 34-year-old defenceman didn’t bite.

“At the end of the day, I made the decision that I wanted to try to go win,” Tanev told Postmedia. “This may be my best opportunity to do that in my career, and that’s something that I couldn’t turn down. I mean, I really thank Conny for how open and honest he was with me. We have a great relationship and I appreciate him for only wanting to trade me to a contender or to a team that he thought had a chance to win. He could have went in multiple different directions, for sure.”

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/tanev-thanks-flames-for-chance-to-chase-title-in-dallas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Rental or not , trading a dman of his caliber I dnt foresee a deal that doesn't include a 1st..UNLESS its Boston or Tampa who don't have one(the their 2026 if unprotected has some intrigue )  .. in which case I expect an A prospect in the deal

Hearing some buzz today too that an extension still isn't off the table 

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Rentals are rentals unfortunately.  We can sign a guy just like Hannifin  back up in the off-season, and sell him again at tdl if we retain what we overpaid.

They rentals.   I don't know which GM to blame for that, because we should never be in a situation of selling rentals.    But its facts.

I am ok with selling rentals, but I think the selling of many rentals and needing a retool is different from just trading some rentals when contracts are up. The team should be well stocked to be ok with selling players that aren't willing to sign. I don't think or like the idea of losing a player for nothing, and having good asset management. It is best to make sure the future is there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Rental or not , trading a dman of his caliber I dnt foresee a deal that doesn't include a 1st..UNLESS its Boston or Tampa who don't have one(the their 2026 if unprotected has some intrigue )  .. in which case I expect an A prospect in the deal

Hearing some buzz today too that an extension still isn't off the table 

I don't think it's ever been off the table. 

From the Flames, they want to keep Hanifin I think that much is pretty clear. This is Hanifin deciding he wants to go somewhere else. 

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think it's ever been off the table. 

From the Flames, they want to keep Hanifin I think that much is pretty clear. This is Hanifin deciding he wants to go somewhere else. 

And they should be doing anything to make that happen.  A sign and trade for the teams he is on the fence about.  Yes, I get he has control about any trade like that, but a known offer in $$ and term vs going where he wants to and limiting his leverage for a new deal.  Sign and trade would only be with that known and agreed to destination obviously.

Francis is saying Kylington near a deal for extension.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Francis is saying Kylington near a deal for extension.

Woot woot! 😁👍

Also, Seravalli is the one who “reported” Hanifin only wants to sign in Tampa. I don’t subscribe to his “reporting” as a source. However, yes, other more credible sources like Friedman have indicated they believe Hanifin would prefer to play in the US. Last I checked, there were only 7 Canadian NHL teams, and a bidding war only requires 2 teams to have interest. I like those odds. We’ll see how it plays out. 

52 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sounds like Flames will keep Markstrom the rest of this season.  I'm guessing/hoping the offers haven't been good because I think moving Markstrom now is selling at the highest value possible.  

ARRRGH!!!!

58 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sounds like Flames will keep Markstrom the rest of this season.  I'm guessing/hoping the offers haven't been good because I think moving Markstrom now is selling at the highest value possible.  

So now we are using The 4th Period as a trusted source?

One guy quoting another guy?

I doubt the NJ GM told him that or Connie texted him or returned his calls.

I get the logic of not folding up the tent, but we are selling the stable if not the farm.

How does keeping Markstrom send the right message to the room?

If the offers are not there, sure.  

Trading him now or trading him at the draft, doesn’t change much, except at the draft you will most likely have more suitors. 

As of right now NJ is the only team that is said to have interest, kind of hard to drive up the price when you only have one team competing for Markstrom. 

So Conroy has to decide if NJ’s offer is the best offer he is going to get or wait till the draft and see if he gets better offers then, or if just holding onto Markstrom is what is best for the Flames.

The other side is that Markstrom has a full NMC, so he gets to decide when, where or if he gets traded.

One goalie has to get moved before next season. Wolf would have to clear waivers next year I assume when he re-signs?

If the right deal isn't on the table now I think it is best to wait.

Might have to be Vladar that gets moved in the summer.

42 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Trading him now or trading him at the draft, doesn’t change much, except at the draft you will most likely have more suitors. 

As of right now NJ is the only team that is said to have interest, kind of hard to drive up the price when you only have one team competing for Markstrom. 

So Conroy has to decide if NJ’s offer is the best offer he is going to get or wait till the draft and see if he gets better offers then, or if just holding onto Markstrom is what is best for the Flames.

The other side is that Markstrom has a full NMC, so he gets to decide when, where or if he gets traded.

Lately there just hasn't been much movement at the draft. Although, I could be mistaken.