Maybe Half The Problem is Huska?

bear120

I mean no disrespect but maybe Conroy needs to look at how Huska is managing his bench. Why in the world would you NOT USE Zadorov for more than 15 minutes which finally causes him to say "trade me now"? Why would you NOT REWARD a proven scorer in Lindholm for the shootout AND he played a heck of a game? He deserved a shootout chance! Why can't Huska get Huberdeau to shoot? Why is Kadri on the 1st power play line when he's doing NOTHING but hogging the puck and then turning it over? I think the job is too big for Huska and if he can't admit it then management should replace him.

I am not a Huska fan and was pretty clear I didn't like the hire.  I get the Flames ownership didn't want to pay for a high profile coach since they are still paying Sutter.  That limited the options, and there was value in maintaining continuity by sticking with Huska.  But I still think there were better options, Mitch Love being at the top of my list.  

I think Huska is part of the team problem.  The Flames play five on five like they are trying to kill a penalty.  They can't break out, and that is a big part of the excessive turnovers.  I also wonder if guys like Zary look so good is because of the coaching they got BEFORE they got here.  

That said, I don't think Huska owns the Zadorov trade request.  Its pretty apparent he wants to stay in Calgary but the Flames aren't ready to negotiate with him.  I don't think the ice time helps, but I don't think its the reason for the trade request.  I actually agree with Huska on how he has deployed Zadarov.  Zadarov looks great because he is being properly utilized.  

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

I am not a Huska fan and was pretty clear I didn't like the hire.  I get the Flames ownership didn't want to pay for a high profile coach since they are still paying Sutter.  That limited the options, and there was value in maintaining continuity by sticking with Huska.  But I still think there were better options, Mitch Love being at the top of my list.  

I think Huska is part of the team problem.  The Flames play five on five like they are trying to kill a penalty.  They can't break out, and that is a big part of the excessive turnovers.  I also wonder if guys like Zary look so good is because of the coaching they got BEFORE they got here.  

That said, I don't think Huska owns the Zadorov trade request.  Its pretty apparent he wants to stay in Calgary but the Flames aren't ready to negotiate with him.  I don't think the ice time helps, but I don't think its the reason for the trade request.  I actually agree with Huska on how he has deployed Zadarov.  Zadarov looks great because he is being properly utilized.  

Yeah but the other side he's a bottom pairing guy who wants top 4 pay and treatment, so yeah I think its no coincidence that the request follows the game where he had his lowest TOI despite a goal and highlight hit, so I don't know that Huska gets off free from the Zadorov disappointment train.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Yeah but the other side he's a bottom pairing guy who wants top 4 pay and treatment, so yeah I think its no coincidence that the request follows the game where he had his lowest TOI despite a goal and highlight hit, so I don't know that Huska gets off free from the Zadorov disappointment train.

On this line up hes gotta be middle pair. Other than Weegar Zad has been the most steady, Hanifin is defensively questionable he even looks out of place paired with Tanev, and Ras hasnt looked the same since the suspension. Looking on top of the size and shot Zad seems to be one of the best for zone entries. Thats going to be almost impossible to replace via trade, no one in the organization comes close, so far.

8 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

On this line up hes gotta be middle pair. Other than Weegar Zad has been the most steady, Hanifin is defensively questionable he even looks out of place paired with Tanev, and Ras hasnt looked the same since the suspension. Looking on top of the size and shot Zad seems to be one of the best for zone entries. Thats going to be almost impossible to replace via trade, no one in the organization comes close, so far.

I'm sure if Zadorov was given more assignments against the top players he'd look just as bad or as worse as Hanifin.  I don't want to sound too negative on him, I view him as 3rd pairing spot 2nd occasionally and nothing more, good at that role but I don't view him as a player we can't replace, this team made Gudbranson look good a few years ago.

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

I'm sure if Zadorov was given more assignments against the top players he'd look just as bad or as worse as Hanifin.  I don't want to sound too negative on him, I view him as 3rd pairing spot 2nd occasionally and nothing more, good at that role but I don't view him as a player we can't replace, this team made Gudbranson look good a few years ago.

True but the majority of the roster overachieved that year.

I'm hoping this is more of a negotiation tactic than anything else but between the end of season pressers and now thats Toffoli, Hanifin, Lindy, Backlund, and now Zad either openly or supposedly voicing their want to get out of town. Not a good look for the organization overall.

Bench management has not been an issue for me with Huska. I’d argue it’s been a strength actually. 

I don’t think he was a good hire and so far he looks very overwhelmed by the job but I don’t think the bench or ice time is a problem 

I don't really care too much about how the organisation looks overall with five players voicing their desire to leave the team since last season ended.

Sure, it may make it more difficult to attract UFAs for a while, but when was the last time the Flames really made out well by signing a UFA?

Now is the time to do a major restocking of the prospect cupboard and rebuild from within.

Definite temporary pain for potential future gain.

I accept that there is absolutely no guarantee of that gain actually happening, but the Flames have NEVER tried that route since they arrived in Calgary.

I have seen them win the Stanley Cup.

Over one third of the current league (11 teams) have never won a Cup, so I would not mind seeing them try it at least once.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Bench management has not been an issue for me with Huska. I’d argue it’s been a strength actually. 

I don’t think he was a good hire and so far he looks very overwhelmed by the job but I don’t think the bench or ice time is a problem 

I would agree.  I wonder if having too many bench guys with less experience is hurting them.  Savard and Huska both are relative rookies at their present level.  What I will never understand about hiring him was why they decided to clean house, but only really clean the bathroom.

2 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I don't really care too much about how the organisation looks overall with five players voicing their desire to leave the team since last season ended.

Sure, it may make it more difficult to attract UFAs for a while, but when was the last time the Flames really made out well by signing a UFA?

Now is the time to do a major restocking of the prospect cupboard and rebuild from within.

I accept that there is absolutely no guarantee of that gain actually happening, but the Flames have NEVER tried that route since they arrived in Calgary.

Over one third of the current league (11 teams) have never won a Cup, so I would not mind seeing them try it at least once.

I really agree.

If you want to win a cup, you need to pick at the top of the draft, at least a couple times. There's a lot of luck involved for sure, but you need to pick high for a shot at the best talent in the draft.

If I was the owner, with a new building on the horizon, I'd look to punt for the time being. How awesome would it be to open a new building with a young, exciting team? Right now, they're on track to open a retirement home in a couple of seasons. Old and slow.

Like you said, there are no guarantees. But it's worth a shot. I'm hopeful the Conroy/Iggy tandem can convince the owner that it's worth a shot.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I would say most of the issues that lingered from last year have remained.  It is becoming painfully obvious that the issue is with the players and the room. Till you sort out the problems with the team, it won't matter who the coach is.

Yes and no.  We simply don't have the talent to compete even if everyone in the room is best friends.  Our core is too old and expensive.  We are/were a borderline playoff team even at our best.  Either add a few players to squeeze into the playoffs or go total rebuild.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Yes and no.  We simply don't have the talent to compete even if everyone in the room is best friends.  Our core is too old and expensive.  We are/were a borderline playoff team even at our best.  Either add a few players to squeeze into the playoffs or go total rebuild.

The fact the team was in and out of the playoffs so often actually says what the team was before Johnny and Tkachuk left. And we had one of the best lines in hockey and then in the end was a one line team once everything settled into the playoffs.

On 11/13/2023 at 12:16 PM, JTech780 said:

I would say most of the issues that lingered from last year have remained.  It is becoming painfully obvious that the issue is with the players and the room. Till you sort out the problems with the team, it won't matter who the coach is.

Last year the Flames were dominating every area except the scoresheet and the power play. We just couldn't finish and every mistake went in the net. They spent the season flirting with a playoff spot and finished just shy.

This season we have the same issues but are no longer dominating possession or staying competitive in the standings. It's a clear step back. 

I am not saying it's all on the coaches. This roster isn't good enough. But the team has regressed from the previous coaching staff with a pretty similar roster. 

24 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Last year the Flames were dominating every area except the scoresheet and the power play. We just couldn't finish and every mistake went in the net. They spent the season flirting with a playoff spot and finished just shy.

This season we have the same issues but are no longer dominating possession or staying competitive in the standings. It's a clear step back. 

I am not saying it's all on the coaches. This roster isn't good enough. But the team has regressed from the previous coaching staff with a pretty similar roster. 

Pretty hard to coach Huberdeau much worse than last year.  RW for how long?  Anyway, point is taken about the players, but really, what has changed with the coaching other than a harder more toxic coach to a more positive coach using almost the same ideas.  Win, mix the lines.  Lose, mix the lines.  Push a guy down to the 4th line after a good game.  Defensesystem changed and PP supposedly changed but looks like a carbon copy without a sniper.

The biggest difference in skill/possession comes from the loss of Toffoli.  Not the fastest guy but he scored goals and held onto the puck.  No top RW this year and we have tried every possible RW there.  Nothing has worked.  Lindholm looks like he doesn't care about scoring.  Mangiapane the latest guy to play RW.  

Out of the F group, there are maybe 6 that are playing what I consider to be at the right level.  In no particular order; Zary, Govic, Pospisil, Coleman, Kadri.

Others that are playing okay, but not quite right:

Backlund - slow start as per usual, but is playing better than Lindholm

Mangiapane - part is good, part is bad (like cheap penalties)

Greer - not expecting a lot, so he is fine

Ruzicka - started strong, but moved around to too many lines and positions to get back to his game

The rest have had maybe one good game each but can't seem to do much with the puck.  I think we need to target players that drive the play.  Losing Gaudreau set us back the most, and you see it how they struggle to do anything on the rush.

3 hours ago, kehatch said:

Through the first 15 games last year we had 16 points and had a CF% of 54.8. This year through 15 games we have 12 points and CF% of 53. 

I am not seeing this clear step back. Yes they are 4 points have the pace and have a slightly lower CF%, but it’s pretty clear that the team is preforming in a similar manner to last year. 

Again this isn’t a coaching issue, it is a team construction/ chemistry issue.

Still just clearly can't move the puck around quickly like they were doing in the first preseason games. Watch pretty much any team move the puck and it's faster. Get Andersson off of the PP. He's an anchor. Not the right kind. Watch Seider on PPs then watch Andersson. Seider has a mixed bag and will shoot if he has a shot, take a lane if he sees a shot or move it quickly. Andersson needs 5 seconds with the puck to make a decision unless he one-times it.

I differ from every Flames fan in that I like Andersson's game very little. He's extremely overrated and gets too much icetime because we don't have a real 1D. He'd be a better 3-4. Control his minutes and find something else for the PP. He drags the whole thing down. His decision-making is about as fast as his skating.

On 11/11/2023 at 6:30 PM, 420since1974 said:

The future is bright if they do it right

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Still just clearly can't move the puck around quickly like they were doing in the first preseason games. Watch pretty much any team move the puck and it's faster. Get Andersson off of the PP. He's an anchor. Not the right kind. Watch Seider on PPs then watch Andersson. Seider has a mixed bag and will shoot if he has a shot, take a lane if he sees a shot or move it quickly. Andersson needs 5 seconds with the puck to make a decision unless he one-times it.

I differ from every Flames fan in that I like Andersson's game very little. He's extremely overrated and gets too much icetime because we don't have a real 1D. He'd be a better 3-4. Control his minutes and find something else for the PP. He drags the whole thing down. His decision-making is about as fast as his skating.

Well, they seemed to move to Hanifin on the top PP unit, with little impact.  Hard to say if he's the right or wrong player there.  Watched him fire 3 shots on net that didn't go close to the net.  The top PP featured Ruzicka, Kadri, Zary, Lindholm and Hanifin.  Was better but still has issues gaining the zone.  Seemed like Ruzicka and Zary were the QB's. 

Not sure what Weegar has to do to get PP time.  Not even on the 2nd PP unit.  Neither is Zaddy who would be good if we had a 2nd D to man the point. 

I have been frustrated by Ras for the last 96 games (more or less).  Has no concept of a point shot.  I don't always think it's the best choice, but never shooting is worse.  Pass left or right, puck goes down low, then back to the point for another pass left or right.  Or the down low seem pass that goes into a crowd.  All the other team needs to do is pressure the wings or force a pass from the point.  No worries, he is never going to shoot.  Not even an indirect.  The only time he is dangerous is when he comes off the boards down low.  Even then, he looks off a shot or a pass.  He just skates around the net back to his spot. 

"expected" has to be the worst stat I've ever seen invented. "If everything was a trend, and everything was robotic, here are some gambling insights for your perusal".

If sports weren't, "expect the unexpected", they'd be unwatchable. At least there might be less gambling ads. Probably not, but perhaps.

How could an over/under of 6.5 possibly end 2-1, this is bs!! lol Those 2 goalies gave up a combined 12 in their last game.

But I do kind of love going to gambling sites for the "helpful" stats they throw up.🤮

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

"expected" has to be the worst stat I've ever seen invented. "If everything was a trend, and everything was robotic, here are some gambling insights for your perusal".

If sports weren't, "expect the unexpected", they'd be unwatchable. At least there might be less gambling ads. Probably not, but perhaps.

How could an over/under of 6.5 possibly end 2-1, this is bs!! lol Those 2 goalies gave up a combined 12 in their last game.

But I do kind of love going to gambling sites for the "helpful" stats they throw up.🤮

All the picture shows is where some teams stand.  SJS very bad.  CGY in the middle.

Other than that, it's a point in time.  

It's an interesting picture to look at but it's like looking at PDO.

You lose 100% of the games that the other team has more goals.