2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

6 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’m thinking the Flames will take a look at Emery at 28th. If he’s even still available. Iginla has a lot of familiarity with the player too.

The merits of picking a player with zero goals in his draft eligible season will be debated, I’m sure .

The interviews with Conroy and Button suggest they want under-developed kids that have room to grow.

Given Dickinson and Emery are so refined physically, it represents maxed out bodies and what you see is what you get.  How much more room is there to grow?  Almost zero.  Whereas a kid ranked at the same level but has lots of room to grow physically would have more room to get better.

These combine results might work against Dickinson and Emery.

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Who did Cgy take

to dinner? Tij? 🙏🙏🤞🤞

🤣 I would imagine Jarome took Tij to dinner.  Did MTL or Utah take Tij to dinner?  That would be more worrisome if we wanted to draft Tij.

There are a few on Twitter saying CHI and ANA are both leaning D.  That would be interesting.

1. If CHI takes Levshunov then who will ANA take?

2.  Will ANA trade down to #5 because seems like MTL wants Demidov badly.  ANA likely still gets the D they wanted at #3.

3. Lastly, why is Levshunov already balding at 17-years-old?

40 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The interviews with Conroy and Button suggest they want under-developed kids that have room to grow.

Given Dickinson and Emery are so refined physically, it represents maxed out bodies and what you see is what you get.  How much more room is there to grow?  Almost zero.  Whereas a kid ranked at the same level but has lots of room to grow physically would have more room to get better.

It's a win-win for the player.

They either crush the combine. Impress everyone with their fitness

Or they struggle and it's "look how good they are without properly training"

• Like 1

I was listening to the Athletic hockey podcast a few weeks back. Pronman said that Chicago had watched Levshunov with Michigan State 20+ times. Not really a surprise, Chicago is Big Ten country, which happens to be the conference MSU plays in. Where that carries weight is that is quite likely more in-person viewings than they have on Demidov. Every team has it's biases and preferences in terms of which leagues and parts of the world they frequently select from. For Chicago, that's been the US, the NTDP and NCAA. That's where Levshunov plays.

With Anaheim, it's become clear that Verbeek has placed an emphasis on size. I think they're hoping Levshunov is there at 3. They aren't incredibly deep at RD. If not, I think it's Silayev or Lindstrom. Verbeek came from TB. Who do the Lighting have? Victor Hedman. I think he would take his shot at getting that monster blueliner to Anaheim. Side note, Silayev's offensive numbers really shouldn't be scrutinized at all. He's 17 and playing in the 2nd best league in the world. If he was in the CHL, he would have great point totals. Put Parekh in the KHL at 17, I don't think he would look very good.

Columbus is a really interesting team for me at 4th. New GM there. They're setup well to take Demidov. They've got quite a few young Russians. They've never had centre depth in franchise history, so being able to go Fantilli/Lindstrom down the middle could be pretty enticing too. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I was listening to the Athletic hockey podcast a few weeks back. Pronman said that Chicago had watched Levshunov with Michigan State 20+ times. Not really a surprise, Chicago is Big Ten country, which happens to be the conference MSU plays in. Where that carries weight is that is quite likely more in-person viewings than they have on Demidov. Every team has it's biases and preferences in terms of which leagues and parts of the world they frequently select from. For Chicago, that's been the US, the NTDP and NCAA. That's where Levshunov plays.

With Anaheim, it's become clear that Verbeek has placed an emphasis on size. I think they're hoping Levshunov is there at 3. They aren't incredibly deep at RD. If not, I think it's Silayev or Lindstrom. Verbeek came from TB. Who do the Lighting have? Victor Hedman. I think he would take his shot at getting that monster blueliner to Anaheim. Side note, Silayev's offensive numbers really shouldn't be scrutinized at all. He's 17 and playing in the 2nd best league in the world. If he was in the CHL, he would have great point totals. Put Parekh in the KHL at 17, I don't think he would look very good.

Columbus is a really interesting team for me at 4th. New GM there. They're setup well to take Demidov. They've got quite a few young Russians. They've never had centre depth in franchise history, so being able to go Fantilli/Lindstrom down the middle could be pretty enticing too. 

Interesting.  

The Flames have probably watched Yakemchuk 30+ times this season too.  It's just so convenient to do so. 

Assuming CHI takes Levshunov, then I wonder if ANA wants RHS RD and size that maybe Yakemchuk is their guy.  If #3 is too early, then maybe they trade down.  Maybe the Flames can trade up into #3.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

🤣 I would imagine Jarome took Tij to dinner.  Did MTL or Utah take Tij to dinner?  That would be more worrisome if we wanted to draft Tij.

There is chatter out there that Montreal is set on taking Tij. 

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Dude. lol

So...you want these kids to come to the combine and kinda "prove" where their fitness is at. So some of them crush it.

You: well their bodies are maxed out, there is no more room for development.

Can't win no matter what they do, I guess. Buium won the pull-ups, so he's out, I guess. lol

Nice to see Lukas Fischer have a really solid combine as one of the youngest there. Somebody's going to get a great prospect with that kid. Hopefully us or Detroit, because I'll be watching him all year. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Dude. lol

So...you want these kids to come to the combine and kinda "prove" where their fitness is at. So some of them crush it.

Can't win no matter what they do, I guess. Buium won the pull-ups, so he's out, I guess. lol

Nice to see Lukas Fischer have a really solid combine as one of the youngest there. Somebody's going to get a great prospect with that kid. Hopefully us or Detroit, because I'll be watching him all year. :)

Lol no, I'm just relaying what Conroy and Button said.  My personal take is I prefer guys who take care of their bodies without needing professional training.  The self-motivated type.  

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Not a ton in here Flames wise. But still

some interesting content.

Damn some teams are cheesy af. lol

I could do that ham crap. "So, if every team was a girl, who would you wanna dance with first"? lol

22 hours ago, cross16 said:

There is chatter out there that Montreal is set on taking Tij. 

I've heard this may places as well . Definitely seems like a Hughes move..

I know we don't get him at 9..and if the rumored of getting Ottawa's #7 for Marky actually becomes reality I don't think that gets him either 

57 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I've heard this may places as well . Definitely seems like a Hughes move..

I know we don't get him at 9..and if the rumored of getting Ottawa's #7 for Marky actually becomes reality I don't think that gets him either 

Is this legit rumors?  I hear the rumors they are interested but don't know where that pick has been mentioned.

39 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Is this legit rumors?  I hear the rumors they are interested but don't know where that pick has been mentioned.

To be fair, I have not heard or read anywhere that OTT's 7oa is available.  It's only assumed that they need to use the 7oa if they are to compete with NJD's offer.  A lot of hopium from Flames fans that we can land two top 10 picks.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

To be fair, I have not heard or read anywhere that OTT's 7oa is available.  It's only assumed that they need to use the 7oa if they are to compete with NJD's offer.  A lot of hopium from Flames fans that we can land two top 10 picks.

And that is assuming NJ's offer is #10, which I'm still not convinced it is.

And so, I'm just thinking the most fair trade is,

To OTT,

Markstrom

9oa

To CGY,

Chychrun 

7oa

The end game for OTT is landing a #1 G and RHS RD... The 9oa can be used to draft Parekh or Yakemchuk.

The Flames want to draft Tij + get a D.  If MTL hasn't taken Tij yet, then the Flames can with the 7oa.  If not Tij then a better chance at one of Buium or Dickinson.  Chychrun can possibly be traded for Hanifin-type returns at the TDL if he has a good season here.

On 6/9/2024 at 10:16 AM, conundrumed said:

Dude. lol

I think Button said that in his interview. If a kid crushes it, wouldn't he still have room to grow into a man bod? 

id be more interested in and looking for hockey iq and whether the players can skate. If you're set on 2-way, maybe it's the draft to go there?  

I also wonder if this draft can be better than what people think it is. We are only about two or three years removed from Covid. Many of these kids' development years were stunted by the lockdown, and maybe they have room to develop further? 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I think Button said that in his interview. If a kid crushes it, wouldn't he still have room to grow into a man bod? 

id be more interested in and looking for hockey iq and whether the players can skate. If you're set on 2-way, maybe it's the draft to go there?  

I also wonder if this draft can be better than what people think it is. We are only about two or three years removed from Covid. Many of these kids' development years were stunted by the lockdown, and maybe they have room to develop further? 

There are a lot of potential-looking dmen. They can't all work out, though.

Really need to take some solid swings at potential, but they'll be some years to move in, if we're lucky.

Just now, conundrumed said:

There are a lot of potential-looking dmen. They can't all work out, though.

Really need to take some solid swings at potential, but they'll be some years to move in, if we're lucky.

yup, years are needed. My idea is they take those years to develop, if we are bad a few years, the next few years would be a good time to hit on the elite players in the draft. By the time they arrive, this group will be somewhat ready, maybe a year or two behind the elites that come later. 

if you look at Tampa, they got good because they developed in the minors with some really good players gelling there. Their coach arrived in the NHL with them. But just saying that getting the lumber might not be a bad idea as lumber tends to go up in price in time. Those hole fillers are pricy at the TDL. 

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

And so, I'm just thinking the most fair trade is,

To OTT,

Markstrom

9oa

To CGY,

Chychrun 

7oa

The end game for OTT is landing a #1 G and RHS RD... The 9oa can be used to draft Parekh or Yakemchuk.

The Flames want to draft Tij + get a D.  If MTL hasn't taken Tij yet, then the Flames can with the 7oa.  If not Tij then a better chance at one of Buium or Dickinson.  Chychrun can possibly be traded for Hanifin-type returns at the TDL if he has a good season here.

Wow, just wow.

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

yup, years are needed. My idea is they take those years to develop, if we are bad a few years, the next few years would be a good time to hit on the elite players in the draft. By the time they arrive, this group will be somewhat ready, maybe a year or two behind the elites that come later. 

if you look at Tampa, they got good because they developed in the minors with some really good players gelling there. Their coach arrived in the NHL with them. But just saying that getting the lumber might not be a bad idea as lumber tends to go up in price in time. Those hole fillers are pricy at the TDL. 

The support guys like Killorn, Palat and Johnson spent time there, but Kucherov and Vasilevkiy spent very little time in the minors and none under Cooper, but Stamkos, Hedman skipped the minors entirely and Point only played 9 games in the minors.  Tampa just had a really great stretch of drafting from 2008 to 2015.