2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So if Vancouver loses to Edmonton tomorrow we get the 28th pick. If Vancouver wins that pick will be 29th, 31st or 32nd depending on how they do the rest of the way. The 4th from the Lindholm trade would also become a 3rd.

So Vancouver beating Edmonton and then losing to Dallas would be the best outcome for Calgary.

Correct. The 4th is NJ's, the 3rd is Van's. So it's not a huge jump, 10 to 15 picks, but a jump nonetheless.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Button has mentioned the top D in several interviews now. I get the impression they like a lot of the D prospects at the top of the draft. 

Yes and he mentioned they are not the same styles which makes them more difficult to rank.  Which is true.  Silayev is too different from Buium to say who has the better chance to succeed at the NHL and who has the higher ceiling, for example.  Parekh has the RHS and 30-goal season but no defense.  Dickinson seems like jack of all trades but is he a master of anything?  Then Yakemchuk, a poor man's Dickinson but he's got the coveted RHS.

That list is a good stab.

I really don't see a cliff after 1.   But

If I did, I would put it at around 13.   Right after Yakemchuk.  If you're picking 14th, you don't know if you'll get a top player.  

I feel like the obvious guy to drop in that list is Silayev.   Cause Russian.   But I hope we don't take him.  Cause can't score.  He could probably play in the NHL right now but may never be effective in a poweplay situation .

There are only 2 reason I can think of for Cgy to not draft Tij:

1. he’s gone before 9 (likely)

2. Pressure of playing for his dad’s team, could be too much and mess up his development…this would be a key question I’d be asking him at the combine.

otherwise, Tij makes the most sense for Cgy in terms of player, nostalgia and most importantly regardless of how good he is, his name will sell tickets and put butts in the area regardless if the team sucks over the ne next few years…ultimately, that’s gotta be a driving force the owners will no doubt put pressure on the GM to do.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I feel like the obvious guy to drop in that list is Silayev.   Cause Russian.   But I hope we don't take him.  Cause can't score.  He could probably play in the NHL right now but may never be effective in a poweplay situation .

I heard Silayev still has two years to go on his current KHL contract.  So he wouldn't be able to come over right away anyways and that could factor into him sliding down the draft.  But in my opinion, forced developing for two years isn't a bad thing.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I heard Silayev still has two years to go on his current KHL contract.  So he wouldn't be able to come over right away anyways and that could factor into him sliding down the draft.  But in my opinion, forced developing for two years isn't a bad thing.

Michkov is in the process of getting out of his KHL deal a year early.

Silayev does have two years, but I suppose there’s always a chance he gets out of it early. Not necessarily a bad thing if it takes two years though.

15 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Michkov is in the process of getting out of his KHL deal a year early.

Silayev does have two years, but I suppose there’s always a chance he gets out of it early. Not necessarily a bad thing if it takes two years though.

I am sure that money won't be involved in these decisions and that they will act in the best interest of the players lol 

16 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Sounds good to me!

Yeah, I like ESPN's hockey coverage. That list is pretty justifiable. Their intermission stuff can be silly, but at least attempting to be fun. The panels on CDN broadcasts are so dry that it's become unlistenable for me. If I'm hosting and it's SN feed, I mute and put on music. Or force someone to play a song on guitar.

I'm a big fan of keeping it light. ESPN's website is great for game stats too, they have everything, and formatted really easy. I can't bare SN's. Or the NHL's, for that matter.

Someone or 2 always falls, but that list shows that Dickinson could potentially be there.

Emery would be a nice swing at 28ish, too.

Then grab Sam O'Reilly at 41 before he disappears.

That would be 3 guys that approach the game the right way and have huge work ethic to maximize potential.

Worry about scoring stars next year. This draft is pretty heavy on D and after a few forwards it's all a lot riskier imho.

Put work ethic guys in the system that play 3-zone hockey. Poirier, Bruce and Morin are already O-minded dmen in the system, don't draft someone like Parekh. Draft actual Dmen. Like most sports, good defence beats good offence.

Stat lines mean jack-Satoshi Nakamoto. Solid D teams shut that Satoshi Nakamoto down. Why Dickinson logs so many minutes for London, leaving Bonk to worry about scoring stats.

I hope everyone takes the time to watch him and O'Reilly in the Memorial Cup. They do not cheat the game for offence, they just wait for chances. I really hope the Flames and Conroy start treating it that way.

If they select Masse or Parascak at 28, I swear I'll turn the TV off and go weed the garden or something to unwind.

Draft some semblance of structure. I've said my peace to someone that is more involved than I, recognizing, of course, that it means nothing.

• Like 1

All good points, it will be interesting and the draft is getting closer every day.  Tonight will close out the 2nd round then on to the third.  Yeah.

It has been good to see Conroy's work over the past year.  There seems to be a tangible shift from BT.  Conroy has managed to bring in multiple actual players, guys out of the limelight or in the doghouse, e.g. Sharangovich, Kuzmenko, Miromanov, Pachal... along with multiple prospects and picks.  This, rather than focusing on high profile guys that you overpay and who rarely/never live up to the hype.  He's also kept his word and brought up numerous of our own prospects and given them prime opportunities, allowing a general turn-over.  I like it and am hopeful.  The upcoming draft is another step and provides an opportunity to push the rebuild forward significantly...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cberg said:

All good points, it will be interesting and the draft is getting closer every day.  Tonight will close out the 2nd round then on to the third.  Yeah.

It has been good to see Conroy's work over the past year.  There seems to be a tangible shift from BT.  Conroy has managed to bring in multiple actual players, guys out of the limelight or in the doghouse, e.g. Sharangovich, Kuzmenko, Miromanov, Pachal... along with multiple prospects and picks.  This, rather than focusing on high profile guys that you overpay and who rarely/never live up to the hype.  He's also kept his word and brought up numerous of our own prospects and given them prime opportunities, allowing a general turn-over.  I like it and am hopeful.  The upcoming draft is another step and provides an opportunity to push the rebuild forward significantly...

Conroy 's been good.

His own path for sure.   Even his Dallas model talk, which I initially didn't like...is getting harder to argue against. 

He seem good.

I need to see him run a good draft though, before full trust.  Didn't see that last year but he was just getting settled in.

If we see that, then he'll be the first gm here I've trusted in a long long time.

I'll have to start complaining about the arena or something. 

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Conroy 's been good.

His own path for sure.   Even his Dallas model talk, which I initially didn't like...is getting harder to argue against. 

He seem good.

I need to see him run a good draft though, before full trust.  Didn't see that last year but he was just getting settled in.

If we see that, then he'll be the first gm here I've trusted in a long long time.

I'll have to start complaining about the arena or something. 

since Fletcher... 

the Flames should have prioritized hiring him sooner last year. There was some continuity, but at the same time, earlier would have been better. 

aren't some GM's good at some things and not other things? Maybe Conroy's strength will be in trading and hoping it's drafting too. 

24 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

since Fletcher... 

the Flames should have prioritized hiring him sooner last year. There was some continuity, but at the same time, earlier would have been better. 

aren't some GM's good at some things and not other things? Maybe Conroy's strength will be in trading and hoping it's drafting too. 

Since Fletcher indeed...the last time I trusted a GM here.   And man oh man did we pay for it when he left.

Conroy knows his hockey and he knows the City.   He's a smart man.   Went the University route at a time that it was extremely ill-advised.   I expect to see his greatest strength as his personality and ability to surround himself with the right people.   Which can take a bit of time, but we've seen him doing it.  let's see

50 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Not sure I would take Sennecke at 9, especially with Buium, Catton, Yakemchuk and Parekh on the board. Getting at Luchanko would be outstanding. I have Luchanko ahead of Sennecke myself.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Not sure I would take Sennecke at 9, especially with Buium, Catton, Yakemchuk and Parekh on the board. Getting at Luchanko would be outstanding. I have Luchanko ahead of Sennecke myself.

yeah he's okay but at that ranking I don't get it at all.

What I Do get is weird things like that will probably happen 😅

I don't think I would take Sennecke 9th. But he's a very good player.

Beckett Sennecke - Stats, Contract, Salary & More (eliteprospects.com)

Oshawa missed him in the OHL final. Game 3 specifically. 

Checks a lot of boxes. RHS, big, skates well, plays with a bit of an edge. Elevated his game in the playoffs. 22pts in 16 games.

Buium, Dickinson, Catton and Helenius are higher on my wishlist than Sennecke right now. 

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't think I would take Sennecke 9th. But he's a very good player.

Beckett Sennecke - Stats, Contract, Salary & More (eliteprospects.com)

Oshawa missed him in the OHL final. Game 3 specifically. 

Checks a lot of boxes. RHS, big, skates well, plays with a bit of an edge. Elevated his game in the playoffs. 22pts in 16 games.

Buium, Dickinson, Catton and Helenius are higher on my wishlist than Sennecke right now. 

Yeah, just reviewed a ranking that had him at 3rd OA, biggest riser on the board who made massive gains second half of the season and playoffs.  His videos pretty outstanding too… It will be interesting.

• Like 1

Taking a further look at Helenius, numbers wise.

Taking a look at total points for a first year draft eligible in the Liiga. Helenius is 5th all time.

1.  Alex Barkov

2. Olli Jokinen *here as Jokinen was 18, the other players were 17*

3. Mikael Granlund

4. Kaapo Kakko

5. Konsta Helenius

Helenius ranks higher than several players that were high picks in the draft, Puljujarvi, Laine, Kotkaniemi and Rantanen and Lundell.

This is what makes this draft so fascinating as it really could go several ways. Players similar to Helenius have went very high in the draft in previous years. Personally, I think he goes in the 7-10 range, but higher than that is very possible. 

San Jose, Chicago, Anaheim, Columbus, Montreal, Utah, Ottawa, Seattle, Calgary.

so do the other teams have BPA through team needs. They'll get a really good player. 

1. San Jose is a no-brainer, Celebrini. 

2. Chicago could go two ways, pick a guy to play with Bedard, or go after the highest rank D as they already have an elite forward... but Colorado has two elite forwards in Rantenan and MacKinnon... so they could go that route. I just read they had decent D depth, and possibly not quite a #1 in their system yet. Maybe they go Levshunov.

3. Anaheim might need to replenish some D, they're young but also have some prospects but do they have high end enough, and D? They say they have decent D, but traded Drysdale so will need a high end one. But they draft Demidov

4. Columbus reminds me of Calgary a few years ago, but maybe would have some good prospects. Do they go after a guy to play with Fantilli or go after a stud D? Buium

5. Montreal, what do they need? They probably go with a forward. Do they go after a C? Or do they do the Tij? I saw a mock draft that had them draft Sennecke. I don't remember when I saw that. Draft Lindstrom

6. Utah is a bit of a mess, I have no clue what they need. They've accumulated so many picks over the years one would think they don't need much. Reading a prospect synopsis, it looks like their organizational need might be at D. Draft Silayev.

7. In a recent one I read, Ottawa took Tij. Is he not too similar to Tkachuk? Maybe not. But they probably could use some D as well. They have needs all over the place. Depends on their BPA...

* see below. Tij Iginla

8. Seattle... my bet is they go C. Francis is a C and they can always be turned to a Winger. Draft Catton

9. Cgy. we need everything! We select Dickinson.

10. NJD *See Below.

* in my mock draft, we trade Andersson and Pelletier to Ottawa for their 1st. Draft Tij Iginla. Ottawa is on the Quebec border, but not why they do it...  I get Pelletier is at an age that we want our young to be in the build. They want a young player to make up for the draft age, and they need Andersson.

* then we trade, Markstrom, Mangiapane and Coronato to NJD for their 1st rounder and Holtz. We retain on Mangiapane. @ 10 We draft Helenius or Parekh. 

I doubt Parekh makes it to there...

, with the Canucks pick we draft Luchanko.

37 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

San Jose, Chicago, Anaheim, Columbus, Montreal, Utah, Ottawa, Seattle, Calgary.

so do the other teams have BPA through team needs. They'll get a really good player. 

1. San Jose is a no-brainer, Celebrini. 

2. Chicago could go two ways, pick a guy to play with Bedard, or go after the highest rank D as they already have an elite forward... but Colorado has two elite forwards in Rantenan and MacKinnon... so they could go that route. I just read they had decent D depth, and possibly not quite a #1 in their system yet. Maybe they go Levshunov.

3. Anaheim might need to replenish some D, they're young but also have some prospects but do they have high end enough, and D? They say they have decent D, but traded Drysdale so will need a high end one. But they draft Demidov

4. Columbus reminds me of Calgary a few years ago, but maybe would have some good prospects. Do they go after a guy to play with Fantilli or go after a stud D? Buium

5. Montreal, what do they need? They probably go with a forward. Do they go after a C? Or do they do the Tij? I saw a mock draft that had them draft Sennecke. I don't remember when I saw that. Draft Lindstrom

6. Utah is a bit of a mess, I have no clue what they need. They've accumulated so many picks over the years one would think they don't need much. Reading a prospect synopsis, it looks like their organizational need might be at D. Draft Silayev.

7. In a recent one I read, Ottawa took Tij. Is he not too similar to Tkachuk? Maybe not. But they probably could use some D as well. They have needs all over the place. Depends on their BPA...

* see below. Tij Iginla

8. Seattle... my bet is they go C. Francis is a C and they can always be turned to a Winger. Draft Catton

9. Cgy. we need everything! We select Dickinson.

10. NJD *See Below.

* in my mock draft, we trade Andersson and Pelletier to Ottawa for their 1st. Draft Tij Iginla. Ottawa is on the Quebec border, but not why they do it...  I get Pelletier is at an age that we want our young to be in the build. They want a young player to make up for the draft age, and they need Andersson.

* then we trade, Markstrom, Mangiapane and Coronato to NJD for their 1st rounder and Holtz. We retain on Mangiapane. @ 10 We draft Helenius or Parekh. 

I doubt Parekh makes it to there...

, with the Canucks pick we draft Luchanko.

That would be quite the haul, except trading Coronato.  Perhaps someone else, like Coleman or a third/second?

35 minutes ago, cberg said:

That would be quite the haul, except trading Coronato.  Perhaps someone else, like Coleman or a third/second?

I hear ya, was more gotta give to get and also thought they'd want someone closer to ready in their windows.

Just thinking there is a way to those picks but nothing really sooner... but it's harder to trade at the draft these days and one of the only teams to do it was us to trade down a few spots. We don't have those options.

i also don't think it will happen. Just playing the game...

7 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Helenius is the top RHS F in the draft.  ANA has good Centers already but could use a high end RW.  It's a reach no doubt but if ANA really wants Helenius then they would be smart to trade down with either UTAH or OTT, two teams who would like a RHS RD Levshunov.  Then take Helenius 6/7th.

Sennecke seems like a decent prospect.  RHS RW with some size.  However, when Buium is still on the board then take Buium.  Buium is the top D in the draft my opinion.  Better than Levshunov and Silayev.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sennecke seems like a decent prospect.  RHS RW with some size.  However, when Buium is still on the board then take Buium.  Buium is the top D in the draft my opinion.  Better than Levshunov and Silayev.

An interesting layer with Buium. He’s an American obviously. But he’s from California. The Flames play in that division. It’s also very easy to get flights to Calgary from LA. This isn’t like a Gaudreau where there’s several hoops to jump through to travel from Philly. It’s actually closer to home for Buium flight wise than anywhere east of Chicago.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

An interesting layer with Buium. He’s an American obviously. But he’s from California. The Flames play in that division. It’s also very easy to get flights to Calgary from LA. This isn’t like a Gaudreau where there’s several hoops to jump through to travel from Philly. It’s actually closer to home for Buium flight wise than anywhere east of Chicago.

Ya I can see the Flames shy away from drafting Americans, especially with super star potential and can dictate where they play in the future.  But sticking to West Coast USA might be okay.  Wolf is from California as well and he seems happy to be here.