2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

26 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I think Conroy wanted to this year but it didn't work out.   They had Parekh ranked high but had Catton ranked even higher.   IMHO, it was a blessing in disguise.   As much as I have become a Conroy cheerleader, this is something I don't agree on (don't agree with centers before defence, and don't agree that Catton is better than Parekh).

Absolutely there will be more options for Center next year and it will be much easier selecting one with a star D prospect already under our belt.

Talk is cheap after a pick is made.  Oh, we would have taken X.  If you are that committed to it, you would have done more to move up a couple of slots.  I know they wanted the CBJ pick, but that was going to cost too much.  I think secretly, Connie wanted certain players to be gone after Demidov, just so he could justify the picking of a D.  The D may be our greatest weakness for a NHL ready version, but we have no true C under 30 (32 more likely).  That is an identified lack of depth.  

The team shifts around the depth in prospects.  The LW's are less now, but not that many prospects show a high level yet.  The RW are now more plentiful.  The D is where we have depth.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Life's a struggle, especially at these grocery prices. lol Living vicariously through a sports team isn't really an option. Find your joy in other things, however big or small they're perceived.

I seem to recall the ice was rented 4th to 8th maybe? My recollection sucks, but I believe starting Thursday?

*waiting for @cross16 or @sak22 to say, "Dude, what are you even talking about"? lol

Yes, normally at Winsport, with off-ice Thursday then F-Su on ice. However they also normally confirm it and haven’t seen anything yet. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Talk is cheap after a pick is made.  Oh, we would have taken X.  If you are that committed to it, you would have done more to move up a couple of slots.  I know they wanted the CBJ pick, but that was going to cost too much.  I think secretly, Connie wanted certain players to be gone after Demidov, just so he could justify the picking of a D.  The D may be our greatest weakness for a NHL ready version, but we have no true C under 30 (32 more likely).  That is an identified lack of depth.  

The team shifts around the depth in prospects.  The LW's are less now, but not that many prospects show a high level yet.  The RW are now more plentiful.  The D is where we have depth.

you might be right.  Certainly Parekh was not the popular pick for many and may have required justification.  

But I don't think it was his incomplete game which was unpopular for most.  Most just wanted a center.  yeah.  and this wasn't the draft for it.   Good thing too because whether by accident or on purpose, we are now building out from the net.

24 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

you might be right.  Certainly Parekh was not the popular pick for many and may have required justification.  

But I don't think it was his incomplete game which was unpopular for most.  Most just wanted a center.  yeah.  and this wasn't the draft for it.   Good thing too because whether by accident or on purpose, we are now building out from the net.

Read one ranking set (1-120) that had him listed at #4.  Catton at 5.  It was fun to read post draft.  They had all of our good ones listed well below where we picked em.  Suggest that our late first should be available late 2nd, but had one our our later picks listed at 1st round.  I have it bookmarked on another computer so will post link after.

There is always noise that happens after the drafts.  The GM hear the fans.  Make excuses.  Explain direction.  They always put a spin on it.  

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

And we traded it all for years of the Wings, Lions, Pistons and Tigers all being the worst franchises in pro sports.😌

Calgary has a wealth of great hockey to watch with the Flames, Wranglers, Hitmen, Buffaloes, on and on.

32 teams wanna be great. Imagine SJ fans, great for a decade, no cups. Carolina these days? NYR? Bruins? Leafs?

What's worse, having to reboot your roster or being a favourite to win and never doing so?

I'm not sure, but I think the latter is far more devastating on the psyche. lol

Van had a huge riot about it. We'll see how the Oilers make out moving forward.

that riot was manufactured though/ they had guys come in on purpose to start Satoshi Nakamoto up. Whomever that was they just started it and let the fans go at it after. 

not meaning to give Vancouver fans an out by any means. They're asshats. 

55 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I think Buium and Dickinson are both better than Parekh all around... But their impact to the game is very close at the end of the day.  Clearly, Conroy liked the offense more.  But I also believe the RHS played a role.  At the time of the pick, the Flames only has Brzudjebfvhdbdd as the only RD in the system.  And we added two RD in this draft to balance out the pairings... Parekh was arguably the 2nd best RD in this draft after Levshunov.

CHL Import Draft is tomorrow morning. It's expected that Matvei Gridin will be selected.

It likely comes down to which team he's selected by. I still think going to Michigan makes a lot of sense. Little bit extra development time. Organizationally, the Flames selected a lot of CHL players this year, meaning a lot of contract decisions have to be made by June 2026. Gridin playing in the NCAA is one less contract and one less player to try to find an AHL or ECHL spot for.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think Buium and Dickinson are both better than Parekh all around... But their impact to the game is very close at the end of the day.  Clearly, Conroy liked the offense more.  But I also believe the RHS played a role.  At the time of the pick, the Flames only has Brzudjebfvhdbdd as the only RD in the system.  And we added two RD in this draft to balance out the pairings... Parekh was arguably the 2nd best RD in this draft after Levshunov.

For sure Buium and Dickinson are better all around.   However, that is just one element of their trajectory which has more to do, imho, with Buium and Dickinson being more mature in teachable things.   Which is a factor, but has limited weight considering these are all kids.

Imho, this has rings of Jarome Iginla when he was drafted.   In a redraft, Iginla goes first overall, obviously.  How did he drop to 11, when looking back all the signs were there?   

Subtle, unfinished things.   Unanswered questions, put Iginla at 11.   He was competing against players who's Dads taught them about 2-way hockey play practically from birth, who instilled the best of conventional hockey wisdom long before they ever played in junior.   

Iginla had None of that.  No hockey parents, just ... he was somehow ...really good, and jumped more than the other players from season to season.  Eventually he figured it all out.    It was more to do with the raw talent and his path was thus a bit unconventional.

Parekh is also that.  No hockey parents.   No conventional path.   I mean the work ethic is there of course, but....there's this raw talent causing him to jump more than the other players season after season.   And in an unconventional manner.

So yes, yes there are more complete and mature and conventionally taught players, and Parekh's path is going to piss off scouts, trainers, coaches.   But when he figures it all out, and there's no reason to think he won't, we may look back on this and laugh that we thought Levshunov was the most talented.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Gridin went first overall in the import draft to Val Dor.

Probably not the ideal fit the Flames were hoping for. One of the tougher markets in the CHL to get to. Not a very good hockey club right now either, which is why they were picking #1.

Yeah, but he's going to college instead.  If that flames out and he wants to play CHL, the Flames can trade for him to get onto the Hitmen.  At least it is some confirmation that we drafted perhaps a diamond in the rough?

EDIT: I guess I should have read the second post before posting this.  So where is the trade to?

3 hours ago, cberg said:

Yeah, but he's going to college instead.  If that flames out and he wants to play CHL, the Flames can trade for him to get onto the Hitmen.  At least it is some confirmation that we drafted perhaps a diamond in the rough?

EDIT: I guess I should have read the second post before posting this.  So where is the trade to?

100 percent diamond in the rough.   It was a Russian discount and Conroy didn't take chances letting him slip imho.

Big media coverage never helped no prospect 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Not sure that's fair. Moved from Russia 2 years ago. Don't think it's a massive shock that he wouldn't meet NCAA requirements in 2 years. 

It's also been pointed out that the CHL just recently lifted the ban on Russian and Belarusian players.

Initially, the CHL wasn't an option for Gridin. Which is why he ended up pursuing the NCAA.

• Like 1