2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

Not much left on my list, just some swings for raw potential

D David Green a 17 year old who went ppg in the OJHL

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/597685/david-green

C Daniil Anatsky recently turned 18 and was ppg in his first full season in russian junior.

6'3 and over 210lbs

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/618922/daniil-anatsky

Just thinking here, but are a couple of the later picks people are less happy about likely being drafted more for AHL or ECHL roles? If the scouts didn’t think there was much talent left that had NHL potential, they still need to fill out the minor league rosters with decent players.

I neither like, nor dislike the later picks as on average they rarely make the big league anyways. 

29 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Just thinking here, but are a couple of the later picks people are less happy about likely being drafted more for AHL or ECHL roles? If the scouts didn’t think there was much talent left that had NHL potential, they still need to fill out the minor league rosters with decent players.

I neither like, nor dislike the later picks as on average they rarely make the big league anyways. 

I doubt you waste a pick on AHL or ECHL depth.  There is lots of that available.  And you can sign undrafted players up to the start of a season.  

The only pick I even question is the 20 year old.  Last time we went overage, it was a waste.  Overage and not in any junior or Euro league.  I just see that one as a huge swing for the fences.  Doubt the upside is there, but you may end up with a Derek Ryan down the road.  

None of the picks have questionable ethics or morals.  That I know of.  The fallers fell for whatever reason.  One guy I heard fell because he got into worrying about draft ranking and changed his play level.  Maybe poorly advised.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Jamieson is listed as a shutdown defender, but still managed 10 goals and 32 points.

You want a shutdown guy to have some offense at junior.

Better choice than picking one without many points in the 2nd round.

I read some idiot's view if the draft and he gave most picks average or failing grades.

I have no issues with 90% of it and really would say the rest are just fine.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Be hard to find an argument for disliking this draft. Flames have long been a good scouting team and not with more picks and more quality picks they are able to capitalize more on opportunities. 

really exciting draft. Big infusion of skill 

Waiting for the draft evaluation blogs, but from the post draft interviews of Conroy and Button, they were both THRILLED!  Button said he was ecstatic and was virtually jumping for joy in the interview.  They noted a massive infusion of skill and hockey IQ, as well as getting multiple targeted players and a good spread of positions.

I’d be interested in your evaluations of the guys Flames drafted, especially from you guys more attuned to the prospects.

From my limited knowledge, it looks like we’ve indeed picked up massive skill, hockey IQ, speed, good size and some toughness.  I also liked that most draftees were from the CHL so avoiding some of the College issues.  Thoughts?

I'm by no mean an expert, but I haven't been this excited about a Flames draft since 2016.

They've injected a lot of really good players into the pipeline. Awesome to see.

It helps having a lot of picks, but I think there's a chance the Flames churn out 3 NHL regulars out of this class, which would be incredible. Maybe more get NHL games.

Pal of mine that works for a Dub team messaged me and said he's a big fan of the Eric Jamieson pick. Thinks there might be a player there. That says something because this guy rarely says anything positive about the Flames and he also doesn't work for the Everett Silvertips.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm by no mean an expert, but I haven't been this excited about a Flames draft since 2016.

They've injected a lot of really good players into the pipeline. Awesome to see.

It helps having a lot of picks, but I think there's a chance the Flames churn out 3 NHL regulars out of this class, which would be incredible. Maybe more get NHL games.

Pal of mine that works for a Dub team messaged me and said he's a big fan of the Eric Jamieson pick. Thinks there might be a player there. That says something because this guy rarely says anything positive about the Flames and he also doesn't work for the Everett Silvertips.

It helps to draft top 10 and draft so many times.  We should get used to this for the next 3 years.