2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

Just now, JTech780 said:

Skill, production and goals with both 1st rounders.

I have no concerns with either pick.  I thought we would pick him at 9 long before players started dropping like they did tonight.  The 28 is nobody I know, but anyone else I had any eyes on went before 28.

A defenseman and a RW.  Nothing to complain about.

No LW selected.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Skill, production and goals with both 1st rounders.

💯.. this is the thing with picks starting mid to late first.. you're not drafting a stud .. you're drafting a kid with the potential to become a stud ..   they all need work .. but if you can hit on the things you can't teach. Then you're odds are better at winning the dice roll 

• Like 1

Just now, travel_dude said:

I have no concerns with either pick.  I thought we would pick him at 9 long before players started dropping like they did tonight.  The 28 is nobody I know, but anyone else I had any eyes on went before 28.

A defenseman and a RW.  Nothing to complain about.

No LW selected.

I think Conroy could have moved up from 28th and nabbed that RS shutdown D would have been a better choice…I know we have been thin on RW since basically Iginla but…with Coranato, it’s an odd pick, a Ctr would have made sense or a high tough shutdown D…but then again, the flip side is 20-50 are all in the same range so…maybe it didn’t matter 

Side note, both Mlt and Chi had a great draft…also SAN did very well too…maybe we could mirror SAN and land 2 high 1st in 2025 including 1st OA…that could really help…

2025 is supposed to be a really good draft…

and maybe I get my Iginla in 2026…some have said Joe is even better than Tij…

least one thing, I have been wanting younger and got that…and I’m kinda really liking our 9th pick, shades of Eric Karlsson some say, that’s not a bad deal.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The 28 is nobody I know, but anyone else I had any eyes on went before 28.

And to add, it's one of those drafts where the talent drops off pretty quick... separation from 25-50 really isn't much.  We still have tomorrow to add at least one more RHS RD.  It's still a sore point in the system despite picking Parekh.  But Gridin is as good as any given what we were looking at with the 28th.

I'm hearing that the 2025 draft will have many good centers.

Glad that the Flames will have at least two first round picks for that draft.

I am hoping that next season Calgary plays the heck out of Kuzmenko on the PP to pump up his stats so high that they could move him at the TDL for a 1st or a couple of 2nd round picks.

7 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I think Conroy could have moved up from 28th and nabbed that RS shutdown D would have been a better choice…I know we have been thin on RW since basically Iginla but…with Coranato, it’s an odd pick, a Ctr would have made sense or a high tough shutdown D…but then again, the flip side is 20-50 are all in the same range so…maybe it didn’t matter 

A shutdown D is always a huge risk.  Think Kuz on the Wranglers.

They don't all end up as Tanevs.

Silayev after Parekh?

DIfferent beasts.

I can't say we have had much luck getting Euro D here.

We still have rights to the vet Russian.

3 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

I'm hearing that the 2025 draft will have many good centers.

Glad that the Flames will have at least two first round picks for that draft.

I am hoping that next season Calgary plays the heck out of Kuzmenko on the PP to pump up his stats so high that they could move him at the TDL for a 1st or a couple of 2nd round picks.

You know it's kind of weird that Kuz is a 2nd year NHL pro.

Has that Makarov feel to it.

DO you think it's odd we traded Mangiapane before Kuzmenko?

Mangiapane makes $300k more but same term left and almost exactly same age.

We are building a team that has several Russian players now and will have more in the next few years.

Kuzmenko is a god to them.  LOL

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You know it's kind of weird that Kuz is a 2nd year NHL pro.

Has that Makarov feel to it.

DO you think it's odd we traded Mangiapane before Kuzmenko?

Mangiapane makes $300k more but same term left and almost exactly same age.

We are building a team that has several Russian players now and will have more in the next few years.

Kuzmenko is a god to them.  LOL

No, I don't think it's weird at all.

I highly doubt that Maniapane stats could have been pumped as high as Kuzmenko's might be.

At the end of the season, my expectation was for both of them to be traded by the TDL.

I was surprised that they managed to move Mangiapane as early as they did and the return was certainly higher than I had hoped. I had thought that they might get a 3rd if they retained 1/3 of his salary.

I'm definitely leaning more on picking another forward at #41.

As for goalies, I like the idea of going after the older russian kid Nabokov, who played a great first KHL season with Magnitogorsk. He has one year left on his current contract just like Vladar and could become a nice tandem with Wolf in 25/26.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/651894/ilya-nabokov

• Like 1

Gridin is really skilled.

Said he "loves Kuzentsov" then he paused, "I love Kuznetsov on the ice, not the off ice". Thought that was funny. His shotout attempts look like Kuznetsov. Time him with a sun dial.

He's also able to score from that Draisaitl spot, bad angle on the RW. 

Looks like the Flames have added a really skilled winger here