2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Would CBJ be interested in trading down to #9 so they can draft Jiricek and unite the brothers?  And should the Flames trade up to 4?

while grains of salt are had, I think conroy said 2-12 is going to go any way it goes, and the flames are happy with the quality that will be at 9. What would you want at 4?

id prefer to package a deal to get the 10 or something... 

id do 

Mangiapane and Markstrom with salary retained, for #10. 

or do Markstrom, Pelletier, Canucks 1st for 10 and Holtz. 

I dunno if that is too much, I'm not sold on Pelletier these days. Get something if he has some value as a prospect...

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Would CBJ be interested in trading down to #9 so they can draft Jiricek and unite the brothers?  And should the Flames trade up to 4?

If I'm CBJ I'm totally thinking fwd. They have some great D prospects. Fantilli, Sillinger, and now freshly-inked Brindley (reunited with Fantilli) should be a pretty solid young base at fwd to add to. Brindley looked great (again) for Michigan.

Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton or Eiserman.

Beckett Sennecke is a name worth knowing. He could be in the mix at 9th. Really good player, that's elevated during Oshawa's playoff run. 22pts in 16 games.

Right now though I'm hoping for

Buium

Dickinson

Catton

Helenius

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Beckett Sennecke is a name worth knowing. He could be in the mix at 9th. Really good player, that's elevated during Oshawa's playoff run. 22pts in 16 games.

Right now though I'm hoping for

Buium

Dickinson

Catton

Helenius

my bet is we have a Russian in that spot... no reason, we'll, just all the Russian love lately. Maybe they're looking at some untapped Russian potential in other areas though, signing...

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

my bet is we have a Russian in that spot... no reason, we'll, just all the Russian love lately. Maybe they're looking at some untapped Russian potential in other areas though, signing...

As much as every team has its own list. There is some form of a consensus on the top 14 or 15 players, in varying order.

Demidov and Silayev are the two highest ranked Russians. Both looks like top five or six picks. If Silayev is there at 9 though, that would be exciting.

It’s very possible they look to Russia or Europe with the VAN pick. I think a Russian with the ninth pick is a little less likely. Chernyshov is probably the 3rd Russian in the class. I think he goes in the 16-20 range.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

As much as every team has its own list. There is some form of a consensus on the top 14 or 15 players, in varying order.

Demidov and Silayev are the two highest ranked Russians. Both looks like top five or six picks. If Silayev is there at 9 though, that would be exciting.

It’s very possible they look to Russia or Europe with the VAN pick. I think a Russian with the ninth pick is a little less likely. Chernyshov is probably the 3rd Russian in the class. I think he goes in the 16-20 range.

There will be bargains to be had for teams willing to take Russians, simple as that.   

I hope the Flames are one of them, it's the easiest way to turn their top 10 pick into a top 5 pick, and their late 1st into an early 1st.

I would throw Levshunov into the mix, if we want to go with "Slavic" instead of purely Russian.   Will Levshonov drop, despite already being in NA?  I think just a little.     But I also think we have an outside shot at Demidov.  After all, if Michkov can drop 7 spots...  so can Demidov.

Silayev worries me.  Me and my goal-scoring rule are worried by Silayev.    Would pass.

Chernyshov imho is Extremely under-rated.   Absolute perfect target for our late 1st.   

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

There will be bargains to be had for teams willing to take Russians, simple as that.   

I hope the Flames are one of them, it's the easiest way to turn their top 10 pick into a top 5 pick, and their late 1st into an early 1st.

I would throw Levshunov into the mix, if we want to go with "Slavic" instead of purely Russian.   Will Levshonov drop, despite already being in NA?  I think just a little.     But I also think we have an outside shot at Demidov.  After all, if Michkov can drop 7 spots...  so can Demidov.

Silayev worries me.  Me and my goal-scoring rule are worried by Silayev.    Would pass.

Chernyshov imho is Extremely under-rated.   Absolute perfect target for our late 1st.   

Levshunov goes either 2nd or 3rd IMO.

Demidov slides no further than 5th. 2, 3 or 5. Is where he goes. I don't think Verbeek would take him.

Silayev is a better player than Simashev, who went 6th last year.  I don't think the Flames will get a shot at any of those guys.

Maybe Artamonov needs more love. 23pts in 54 KHL games. Left handed winger. Two more years under contract. Should be there with the VAN pick.

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Levshunov goes either 2nd or 3rd IMO.

Demidov slides no further than 5th. 2, 3 or 5. Is where he goes. I don't think Verbeek would take him.

Silayev is a better player than Simashev, who went 6th last year.  I don't think the Flames will get a shot at any of those guys.

Maybe Artamonov needs more love. 23pts in 54 KHL games. Left handed winger. Two more years under contract. Should be there with the VAN pick.

Well, we're talking Lindstrom won't be there at 9 but we can make a case for it. 

8 teams.  By the math, Celebrini, Demidov, and Levshunov are gone... that leaves 5 teams.  We're thinking Lindstrom, Buium, Dickinson, and Silayev... and Parehk (because of RHS RD).  All it takes is one team to want a F... like Iginla, Catton, Eiserman... 

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well, we're talking Lindstrom won't be there at 9 but we can make a case for it. 

8 teams.  By the math, Celebrini, Demidov, and Levshunov are gone... that leaves 5 teams.  We're thinking Lindstrom, Buium, Dickinson, and Silayev... and Parehk (because of RHS RD).  All it takes is one team to want a F... like Iginla, Catton, Eiserman... 

The way I'm looking at it right now, there are six players I expect to be gone before Calgary picks.

Celebrini

Demidov

Levshunov

Silayev

Lindstrom

Iginla

If any of those six fall, that's really exciting. But there's a group of five that I'm looking at with 9th.

Buium

Dickinson

Catton

Parekh

Helenius

Someone will be available that we don't expect to be.   Only takes one team to make a "subjective decision" with their pick, which is highly likely. 

Assuming there will be a surprise drop, the most likely scenario is that drop will be Russian

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Someone will be available that we don't expect to be.   Only takes one team to make a "subjective decision" with their pick, which is highly likely. 

Assuming there will be a surprise drop, the most likely scenario is that drop will be Russian

Has Any of the teams ahead of us gone way off board in the past? 

I can think of Columbus and Montreal as teams that might have, but can't name the players.

32 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I can think of Columbus and Montreal as teams that might have, but can't name the players.

Arizona took Simashev 6th last year, much earlier than many thought.

They also took Daniil But earlier than expected in the 1st.

36 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

generally speaking, these teams are in the top 10 due to a track record of making poor decisions, so...yes lol.

in a really strong draft, it's less common because the decisions are more obvious.  In this kind of draft... oh yeah.

I say one team as making a "subjective decision" as likely.  But 2, 3 teams...is quite possible imho.

17 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The way I'm looking at it right now, there are six players I expect to be gone before Calgary picks.

Celebrini

Demidov

Levshunov

Silayev

Lindstrom

Iginla

If any of those six fall, that's really exciting. But there's a group of five that I'm looking at with 9th.

Buium

Dickinson

Catton

Parekh

Helenius

It would be too bad if the top 8 gone are

Celebrini 

Demidov 

Levshunov 

Silayev

Lindstrom

Iginla

Buium 

Dickinson

And it's probably going to go that way.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It would be too bad if the top 8 gone are

Celebrini 

Demidov 

Levshunov 

Silayev

Lindstrom

Iginla

Buium 

Dickinson

And it's probably going to go that way.

Luckily, after all of us closely watching the top 10 for last 10 years or so on these boards, I have Never seen it go down the way people said it "probably" would.  Ever.   If it goes down like this, you'll be the first.

I mean after the draft, lots of people always say "yeah that's what I expected"  😅.   but that's a different story

Could make for a fun competition.  or maybe not.  it really depends less on hockey and more on the whims of GMs, how much they listen to their scouts/owners, etc.

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

Luckily, after all of us closely watching the top 10 for last 10 years or so on these boards, I have Never seen it go down the way people said it "probably" would.  Ever.   If it goes down like this, you'll be the first.

I mean after the draft, lots of people always say "yeah that's what I expected"  😅.   but that's a different story

Could make for a fun competition.  or maybe not.  it really depends less on hockey and more on the whims of GMs, how much they listen to their scouts/owners, etc.

Yes but it also feels like the cliff is at 8.

Catton

Eiserman

Helenius 

Parekh 

Yakemchuk

Jiricek

Etc

Who to take?

Catton has #1 Center potential but he's also too small/weak.  Also LHS C/LW... Flames will have another chance at that the next 2 drafts.

Eiserman LHS LW.  One dimensional sniper.  Please no.  Not an organizational need when there are bigger problems on D and C.

Helenius I would be happy with.  RHS C... Feels like a younger Lindholm.  #1 C potential.  We need RHS C.

Parekh... High risk high reward... I think worth a gamble.

Yakemchuk... Also high risk high reward.  RHS RD.  I would go Yakemchuk before Parekh.

Jiricek RHS RD... Wouldn't be opposed but he seems to lack offense.  Also coming off injury.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

giphy.gif

count on it 😅

problem is, we wont' get to pick who it is.   someone can't do chin-ups, someone comes from a country attacking the Ukraine...

I'm pretty convinced there's a cliff at 1.   After that man, I dunno.  I keep looking and looking and wasting all my free time and I feel like there's a lot of ways for a GM to go sideways (and regret it).

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Catton

Eiserman

Helenius 

Parekh 

Yakemchuk

Jiricek

Etc

Who to take?

Catton has #1 Center potential but he's also too small/weak.  Also LHS C/LW... Flames will have another chance at that the next 2 drafts.

Eiserman LHS LW.  One dimensional sniper.  Please no.  Not an organizational need when there are bigger problems on D and C.

Helenius I would be happy with.  RHS C... Feels like a younger Lindholm.  #1 C potential.  We need RHS C.

Yakemchuk... Also high risk high reward.  RHS RD.  I would go Yakemchuk before Parekh.

Jiricek RHS RD... Wouldn't be opposed but he seems to lack offense.  Also coming off injury.

Cliff? That feels hard. 

I think all those players you listed are not a cliff away from the top 8. Pretty open draft outside the top 2-3 IMO. 

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Cliff? That feels hard. 

I think all those players you listed are not a cliff away from the top 8. Pretty open draft outside the top 2-3 IMO. 

"Small hill"

We don't know the final order but it seems the same 8 appear before pick #9.  

29 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

giphy.gif

count on it 😅

problem is, we wont' get to pick who it is.   someone can't do chin-ups, someone comes from a country attacking the Ukraine...

I'm pretty convinced there's a cliff at 1.   After that man, I dunno.  I keep looking and looking and wasting all my free time and I feel like there's a lot of ways for a GM to go sideways (and regret it).

No no but assuming no one goes sideways... Those are the top 8.  Sure, we don't get to pick who slides down to #9 and it's likely one will.  Basically, our pick will be made by others... Whoever falls to us.

Unless we "go off the board" and take Connelly or something.

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

"Small hill"

We don't know the final order but it seems the same 8 appear before pick #9.  

I think it's more open than that personally. Your going to have a tough time convincing me there is even a small hill between Binum and Parekh.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Catton

Eiserman

Helenius 

Parekh 

Yakemchuk

Jiricek

Etc

Who to take?

Catton seems like what we would go for, but I doubt the order you listed is even close to what gets picked.  Yes, they will be all gone by our VAN pick, but that's all I can even be 90% cerian on.

Teams' scouts see the world differently and have many things to weigh.

Not as simplistic as consensus rankings.

Anyway, we can just wait until the pick to trash the fact we get a LHS LW at 9.  LOL.

This and the next 2 drafts will help decide our future.

We have some good D in the system, but I am a little concerned about the F's.

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think it's more open than that personally. Your going to have a tough time convincing me there is even a small hill between Binum and Parekh.

With Saginaw hosting the Memorial Cup, everyone can get a decent look at Parekh, and likely Dickinson and O'Reilly, as the Knights have devastated Oshawa in the first 2 Final games.

Can a team realistically come back after being outscored 17-2 in 2 games?

In Oshawa tonight. See if there's a response. London's stacked, NHL-level coach. So annoying....have to hand it to their talented players though. Cowan's on another planet. Hate to give the Leafs credit, but he is.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Catton seems like what we would go for, but I doubt the order you listed is even close to what gets picked.  Yes, they will be all gone by our VAN pick, but that's all I can even be 90% cerian on.

Teams' scouts see the world differently and have many things to weigh.

Not as simplistic as consensus rankings.

Anyway, we can just wait until the pick to trash the fact we get a LHS LW at 9.  LOL.

This and the next 2 drafts will help decide our future.

We have some good D in the system, but I am a little concerned about the F's.

I disagree, but, Conroy, being  a center himself, agrees with you as he has said multiple times in the past.

He wants to shore up C, and then D.    I would do it the other way around, although recognising basically everything is higher priority than wingers 😅

For that reason, I think he may heavily favour Catton.   I would be okay with it, because I actually do think Catton is the real deal.    Although I would be asking what happened to him in the playoffs.

If it were up to me, yeah.  I'd upgrade and target Iginla and Yakemchuk.   But it's not me.   We could do worse than Catton.    Actually we could do worse targeting D if we pick one of he higher rated ones that can't actually score even in junior.