2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Clutch loss to BUF.  We need to drop the CHI game coming up.  13-games left and 6 look winnable.  CHI, ANA, SJS, ANA, ARZ, and SJS.

6-7 and 5-8 could make a huge difference.  Could be the difference between picking 12 or 13 and really not getting to take the player we really like.

It's actually 12 left.

CHI has been really bad on the road this year, but they were missing CB for a big chunk.

They are 5-5 last 10 but have only won against bottom feeders.

I don't think we have a solution right now for CHI on the rush.

Of those games against the feeders, I would think we lose 1 to ANA and 1 to SJS.

I project our total to be 81 points and that might be stretching it.

Our last 10, we are 3-7-0

On 3/23/2024 at 7:03 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

Take this with a grain of salt, but I have a buddy that works for a WHL team.

He's told me that the Flames have watched a lot of the Kelowna Rockets and the Flames haven't yet been told "no" regarding Tij.

I'm by no means saying this will or won't happen, just been told by someone with some insight that it hasn't yet been ruled out. An example would be Ridly Greig. His dad works for Philly and they had an agreement the Flyers wouldn't take his son. That hasn't happened yet.

I'll be curious to see how this plays out. Honestly If I were Jarome I think i'd be asking Conroy to not draft him. 

I see Tij being drafted by the Flames as an unwinnable situation. Nothing against Tij as a prospect but I think the mountain of expectations that would follow him would be unwinnable for almost everyone. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'll be curious to see how this plays out. Honestly If I were Jarome I think i'd be asking Conroy to not draft him. 

I see Tij being drafted by the Flames as an unwinnable situation. Nothing against Tij as a prospect but I think the mountain of expectations that would follow him would be unwinnable for almost everyone. 

I mean yes and no.

10-13th overall pick.  I would imagine the expectation is 1st line LW.  Career 70-points type of player.  Doubt the expectation is 100-point Captain leading us to the Cup.

The pressure could be both good and bad depending on the person.

Just now, The_People1 said:

I mean yes and no.

10-13th overall pick.  I would imagine the expectation is 1st line LW.  Career 70-points type of player.  Doubt the expectation is 100-point Captain leading us to the Cup.

The pressure could be both good and bad depending on the person.

Which I would already argue are too high for the type of prospect Tij is. I think he settles in as more of a top 6 winger than a first line. 

Just now, cross16 said:

Which I would already argue are too high for the type of prospect Tij is. I think he settles in as more of a top 6 winger than a first line. 

I could see non-stop comparing to the other players we didn't draft.  Maybe passed on Yakemchuk, Helenius, etc.  so we going to wonder what could've been if we didn't get sucked in by the brand name.

If the Flames take Tij at 13th overall and Tij is ranked somewhere between 13-19... I mean we took him where he's ranked so I don't see the issue.  He is arguably BPA at 13.

The only way to avoid all this is to lose our way up the draft.  There's no justification for picking Tij at 8.  That's where we get into trouble.

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I was working with one of Iggy's buddies since childhood. He wasn't lying because I accidentally interrupted a conversation on his truck speakerphone. lol He said, "say hi", so I did and that was definitely Iggy saying "how's it going" back. He said, "I'll give you a call back, this stupid Lames fan (he's an Oilers fan) is going to give me more bad news", which was absolutely correct. That job was a nightmare for them, I was just the messenger, so it was fun for me. Biggest make-work project I've ever been on and that's saying something. There's been many.

He told me leaving Calgary was a massive relief for the Iginla family, as the fame had virtually made them house-bound.

Take that for what it's worth, but I definitely believed him. He said it's not public knowledge, and no way did Jarome want it to be. But they were really happy to find anonymity in the US. He was with the Avs at the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Pittsburgh and Seattle look awful right now which isn't helping. 

I don't think flames will win many games down the stretch but I also don't think those 2 teams will either. 

It's a fool errand to predict the final standings.  MTL and OTT both winning recently.  I woulldn't even count them out of passing us, even though they are far behind.  PIT and SEA are iffy at winning games down the stretch.  Then again, I look at the teams we play and find it hard for us to take 5/11.  It's not like the basement teams will be sitting top players.  And hungry players want to earn a spot.  

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I could see non-stop comparing to the other players we didn't draft.  Maybe passed on Yakemchuk, Helenius, etc.  so we going to wonder what could've been if we didn't get sucked in by the brand name.

That always happens, no matter who is drafted.  

My own personal opinion is that we should be taking a real hard look at Sam O'Reilly and think about if he'll be there at our Van pick. He oozes potential when I watch the Knights. I don't mind if all the "professionals" think that we're reaching. They're all a few years away from seeing any potential come to fruition regardless.

He's a riser.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/911102/sam-o-reilly

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

If the Flames take Tij at 13th overall and Tij is ranked somewhere between 13-19... I mean we took him where he's ranked so I don't see the issue.  He is arguably BPA at 13.

The only way to avoid all this is to lose our way up the draft.  There's no justification for picking Tij at 8.  That's where we get into trouble.

I think this is only looking at it based off of draft expectations. You don't think there are any external pressures coming from the fact this guy is Jarome's son? Best player ever in this franchise's history and there are no pressures that come from following that?

That's the pressure i'm referring to. I don't think he can carve out his own future here, it will always be tied to Jarome. As a dad i woudln't want that for my son. 

but I don't know Tij maybe he wants that so I can't say.

44 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

My own personal opinion is that we should be taking a real hard look at Sam O'Reilly and think about if he'll be there at our Van pick. He oozes potential when I watch the Knights. I don't mind if all the "professionals" think that we're reaching. They're all a few years away from seeing any potential come to fruition regardless.

He's a riser.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/911102/sam-o-reilly

Would be a good pick.

Would be hated almost immediately by the "experts". The same people that thought the Leafs reached on Cowan last year.

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Would be a good pick.

Would be hated almost immediately by the "experts". The same people that thought the Leafs reached on Cowan last year.

Easton Cowan was not a good pick at that particular time in that particular draft. But the Leafs were worried he'd be gone before their next pick, which is fair. Whether I agree on the target is neither here nor there. lol He was their target. He's a wonderful jr player, we'll see how he transitions to pro. But they already struggle getting young players the top 6 icetime that they likely deserve.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I agree. It's probably in the best interest of the player to be drafted elsewhere. Really, the only way I see it happening is if it's something that Tij wants. But in that case, it would depend on where the Flames are picking. If they have a top ten pick, there are other options. Outside the top ten, I think it's worth considering.

It's likely nothing, but what was also pointed out to me was that some pretty high ranking members of the Flames hockey ops have been watching a lot of Kelowna. Will be really interesting to see how it plays out.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Easton Cowan was not a good pick at that particular time in that particular draft. But the Leafs were worried he'd be gone before their next pick, which is fair. Whether I agree on the target is neither here nor there. lol He was their target. He's a wonderful jr player, we'll see how he transitions to pro. But they already struggle getting young players the top 6 icetime that they likely deserve.

maybe similarly, players in the year after they've been drafted can maybe tend to play bigger roles on their jr teams and that extra year is huge at that age, and so should get more points and look better.

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I agree. It's probably in the best interest of the player to be drafted elsewhere. Really, the only way I see it happening is if it's something that Tij wants. But in that case, it would depend on where the Flames are picking. If they have a top ten pick, there are other options. Outside the top ten, I think it's worth considering.

It's likely nothing, but what was also pointed out to me was that some pretty high ranking members of the Flames hockey ops have been watching a lot of Kelowna. Will be really interesting to see how it plays out.

are there other Kelowna players worth watching? Plus, with how close Iginla is to some hockey ops, could they just be that uncle that is watching their kid play? Where im from, an uncle is like a dad. They could just be proud to see the kid, and my actual dad wanted to see every game I played, even if just beer league lol. 

but ya, I dunno

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

maybe similarly, players in the year after they've been drafted can maybe tend to play bigger roles on their jr teams and that extra year is huge at that age, and so should get more points and look better.

I was shocked that they didn't opt for one of the fine defenseman on the board. If they'd have taken Gavin McCarthy, I'd have been far less shocked.

I don't know why the Leafs constantly focus on forwards and leave D until later. It's so apparent with them. Outside of Tavares, they are reasonably young and set at forward.  Liljagren(sp?) is the exception...but damn there is little else for D anywhere around that org. "fix it later"...well, it's later...

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I was working with one of Iggy's buddies since childhood. He wasn't lying because I accidentally interrupted a conversation on his truck speakerphone. lol He said, "say hi", so I did and that was definitely Iggy saying "how's it going" back. He said, "I'll give you a call back, this stupid Lames fan (he's an Oilers fan) is going to give me more bad news", which was absolutely correct. That job was a nightmare for them, I was just the messenger, so it was fun for me. Biggest make-work project I've ever been on and that's saying something. There's been many.

He told me leaving Calgary was a massive relief for the Iginla family, as the fame had virtually made them house-bound.

Take that for what it's worth, but I definitely believed him. He said it's not public knowledge, and no way did Jarome want it to be. But they were really happy to find anonymity in the US. He was with the Avs at the time.

I have heard from reliable people who've communicated with people in the Flames that have stated the Iginla family's #1 preference is the Flames don't draft Tij, not a demand but considering Jarome get more involved with the team in the next little bit I don't think he'll offer any persuasion to draft him.  Conroy does like Tij as a player though and not just because he's known him his whole life, but I think it will need to be a situation where the Flames feel he is the absolute best available and Tij himself really wants to be a Flame.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I was shocked that they didn't opt for one of the fine defenseman on the board. If they'd have taken Gavin McCarthy, I'd have been far less shocked.

I don't know why the Leafs constantly focus on forwards and leave D until later. It's so apparent with them. Outside of Tavares, they are reasonably young and set at forward.  Liljagren(sp?) is the exception...but damn there is little else for D anywhere around that org. "fix it later"...well, it's later...

That's the problem with "win now" mentality.  D takes 4-5 years to mature.  GM is fired already by then.

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think this is only looking at it based off of draft expectations. You don't think there are any external pressures coming from the fact this guy is Jarome's son? Best player ever in this franchise's history and there are no pressures that come from following that?

That's the pressure i'm referring to. I don't think he can carve out his own future here, it will always be tied to Jarome. As a dad i woudln't want that for my son. 

but I don't know Tij maybe he wants that so I can't say.

I get it but at the same time, he will be tied to Jarome anywhere he goes.  Jarome is an NHL legend and so there's no escaping that.

Tkachuk was tied to his dad even though Keith never played in Calgary.  There's just no shaking that off.  He has to accept it and have fun with it.  And if these kids haven't learned to have fun with their last name then they aren't going to make it anyways. 

But in the end, what I'm really saying is, if the Flames are picking at 13 and Tij is BPA, then by no means shy away from taking him.  He's the best player (even though he's LHS LW).  One exception can be made here.

Big difference being Tij Iginla in Boston or Dallas or any US market compared to a Canadian team.  Just ask his dad how he wasn't recognised in Boston! (Still makes me laugh that clip)   In a lot of markets NHL is not the 1st sport but in Calgary the Flames are the no 1 sports team.  Big difference and constant media attention is a lot of pressure for a player let alone the Iginla name tagged on.

Now I have only seen clips (his brother Joe looks like he can be even better) but I would like to think we don't make a stretch and draft him just based on the name.  Like Peeps says if he falls to us as BPA then fine I can live with that but I hope the scouts are treating him just like any other player and ignore the name.

I can see the marketing gurus salivating in taking Tij though.  Jarome getting up to announce the pick at the draft....  it would be a circus.

3 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Jarome getting up to announce the pick at the draft....  it would be a circus.

Best case is Tij has already been selected. They will make it a circus either way. If we don't select him, well, here come the vultures with ridiculous slants that social media will recite as factual. lol Never fails.

RD, should we just start referring to you as PG? Pool God? lol Or Wolf - winning all of the awards?

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I get it but at the same time, he will be tied to Jarome anywhere he goes.  Jarome is an NHL legend and so there's no escaping that.

Tkachuk was tied to his dad even though Keith never played in Calgary.  There's just no shaking that off.  He has to accept it and have fun with it.  And if these kids haven't learned to have fun with their last name then they aren't going to make it anyways. 

But in the end, what I'm really saying is, if the Flames are picking at 13 and Tij is BPA, then by no means shy away from taking him.  He's the best player (even though he's LHS LW).  One exception can be made here.

I think there is a large difference between playing in the NHL as the son of a legend and playing in the same market (and a Canadian one to boost) as the son of a legend who also played in that market. For sure Tij is going to have to own the last name, but owning it while playing in Calgary is another beast. 

At the end of the day what this boils down to me is does Tij have a burning desire to be here. If he can't look me in the eye and basically beg me to draft him I'd take him off my board. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

RD, should we just start referring to you as PG? Pool God? lol Or Wolf - winning all of the awards?

Lol, hardly.  I was in the lead by around 500 and its down to 136.

My boys are slumping badly at the moment.   Red and Zirak closing the gap