2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Yegor Surin, the troublemaker of the 2024 NHL draft (toutsurlehockey.com)

A player to consider with the VAN 1st. Skill and snarl. 52ts in 42 games, 11pts in 5 playoff games.

Completely agree, as he is likely to be at a discount.   That said, I'd prefer a D.   Depending on what happens with the first pick.   Need more picks lol.

If this guys is bpa, i think you have to take it.  

48 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Completely agree, as he is likely to be at a discount.   That said, I'd prefer a D.   Depending on what happens with the first pick.   Need more picks lol.

I want a D with the first pick.

Would prefer a C with the VAN, but I think you can argue skill and grit is almost as valuable as the centre ice position in this day and age. It’s a very hard combination to find 

Speaking of centres though.

Jett Luchanko of Guelph. Might be available with the Canucks pick, doubt he’s still there by the 2nd rounder though.

72pts in 66 games, leads the Storm in scoring as a 17yr old 

Also, the dreaded LHS LW, Marek Vanacker with Brantford. 80pts in 66 games. Leads the Bulldogs in scoring by 17 points. Granted their second leading scorer has missed skme

time.

For me, I’m big on betting on predicting and betting that production will translate.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I want a D with the first pick.

Would prefer a C with the VAN, but I think you can argue skill and grit is almost as valuable as the centre ice position in this day and age. It’s a very hard combination to find 

In an absolutely perfect, perfect world....  if we had the opportunity, I would want two D with the two first picks.

But I been saying that for like the last 5 drafts lol and hasn't quite worked out that way (yet).  If both D became first-line players, then we are literally set for the next 12-15 years.  Set.  Get them a soon as you can because they take a millenia to mature and hit their peak.   The sooner you set that in place, the sooner we have Real hope.  In reality, if we draft 2, maybe one becomes a first-line D, at most.   So it's far from overkill.

Why not skip this part?   See Edmonton.

Once we have an abundance of elite D prospects, then...sure yeah.  Go nuts on the Centers and RWs.  

But yeah.   I want Tij just like everyone else, and I think he's legit.  So we have a problem lol

37 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

In an absolutely perfect, perfect world....  if we had the opportunity, I would want two D with the two first picks.

But I been saying that for like the last 5 drafts lol and hasn't quite worked out that way (yet).  If both D became first-line players, then we are literally set for the next 12-15 years.  Set.  Get them a soon as you can because they take a millenia to mature and hit their peak.   The sooner you set that in place, the sooner we have Real hope.  In reality, if we draft 2, maybe one becomes a first-line D, at most.   So it's far from overkill.

Why not skip this part?   See Edmonton.

Once we have an abundance of elite D prospects, then...sure yeah.  Go nuts on the Centers and RWs.  

But yeah.   I want Tij just like everyone else, and I think he's legit.  So we have a problem lol

Andersson+ to OTT/ARZ could get 5/6 overall pick.

Markstrom+ to NJD could get their 9 overall pick.

With our own 12 overall pick, take Tij.

Draft two stud D's (one of each shot hand) and also Tij.  Would be perfect.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Would totally do it.

I would argue our last 2 first rounders could be put up for sale too, nothing against them.   Just really think you need to start with D / G.

It would hurt me a bit to see Andersson go.  Okay, a lot.

But if we are being really honest he will be deep into his 30's before it really matters and it is unlikely that he'll be effective on top 4 by then.  But...Possible. 

I think you are looking through Red tinted spectacles if you think Markstrom is worth a 9th overall pick.  

Andersson maybe, but again I think we naturally over value our own players real worth.

16 hours ago, cberg said:

In your analogy would you take 7, 19 and 55 for Byfield?

Well now you're changing the rules. lol

Byfield is a known quantity. I would sing like a bird as I traded our 1st and 2nd for him. And a Mangiapane if they wanted a player back. Markstrom with a retain? 

9 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Is there a Russian RWer, alive today, that doesn't shoot left? lol

Is that not allowed in Russia? /s

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sorry to offend everyone, but I am wholeheartedly cheering on the Oilers to overtake the Canucks. Making our Saturday game vs said Canucks a must-win. Make it so!! Get us to pick 24!!!!

Yes would love to see Edm out the first round of the playoffs. As it sits they would be up against LA which I think they would easily take. My preference would be VGK's take out Edm first round.

6 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

I think you are looking through Red tinted spectacles if you think Markstrom is worth a 9th overall pick.  

Andersson maybe, but again I think we naturally over value our own players real worth.

Yes that's why I said Markstrom(plus)... Most likely Markstrom + the Canucks 26th overall.  Basically trade up.  NJD gets Markstrom and still gets to pick in the first round.

But we might also need that Canucks pick added to the Andersson trade.  So, hope Conroy can find another way.

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yes that's why I said Markstrom(plus)... Most likely Markstrom + the Canucks 26th overall.  Basically trade up.  NJD gets Markstrom and still gets to pick in the first round.

But we might also need that Canucks pick added to the Andersson trade.  So, hope Conroy can find another way.

I am not inclined to include the Nucks pick unless it's to move up a bunch in the draft.

Even then it would need to be something major.

The idea of including it with Markstrom or Ras offends me, LOL.

If there is a market for Markstrom this summer, he should be worth a 1st plus a good prospect.

Or a top young player/prospect.  That 1st would not be top 10 though.  It would need to be in 

the next draft if the current one was top 10.

There is some speculation that Vladar has been injured for more than just this season.

Is he a Monahan that will come off the surgery and be lights out for awhile?

Or a Gillies?

Anyway, the best for the team is to trade Markstrom for a top prospect or young player.

Give the reins to Vladar and Wolf.  If they fail, we need to address it but will take the better

draft picks in the future. 

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sorry to offend everyone, but I am wholeheartedly cheering on the Oilers to overtake the Canucks. Making our Saturday game vs said Canucks a must-win. Make it so!! Get us to pick 24!!!!

48 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Yes would love to see Edm out the first round of the playoffs. As it sits they would be up against LA which I think they would easily take. My preference would be VGK's take out Edm first round.

I almost expect a Central team to take 1st in the West, so EDM or VAN would face 7th.

EDM has 3 games in hand on the Nucks, so they need to go 3-0 in those games to be just 2 back.

Easier said than done.  They only beat MTL because the had most of a 4 minute PP to start OT.

VAN battling the 3rd in the Pacific would be LA or Vegas.

I would prefer that both VAN and Vegas win a round to start.

The reality of our playoff hopes are sinking in with the players.

A minimum 10 point gap to make up.

Our un-magic number is 9.5 (CGY losses, Vegas wins with .5 meaning a OTL).

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I almost expect a Central team to take 1st in the West, so EDM or VAN would face 7th.

EDM has 3 games in hand on the Nucks, so they need to go 3-0 in those games to be just 2 back.

Easier said than done.  They only beat MTL because the had most of a 4 minute PP to start OT.

VAN battling the 3rd in the Pacific would be LA or Vegas.

I would prefer that both VAN and Vegas win a round to start.

The reality of our playoff hopes are sinking in with the players.

A minimum 10 point gap to make up.

Our un-magic number is 9.5 (CGY losses, Vegas wins with .5 meaning a OTL).

I don't care about any of that. Van NOT winning the division helps our draft position. Don't win the div AND lose in rd 1, even better. Wildcard teams for Conference final!! Knock that pick up!!

1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–16)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 17–24 up to 28)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 25–28)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 29 and 30)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 31)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 32)

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I am not inclined to include the Nucks pick unless it's to move up a bunch in the draft.

Even then it would need to be something major.

The idea of including it with Markstrom or Ras offends me, LOL.

If there is a market for Markstrom this summer, he should be worth a 1st plus a good prospect.

Or a top young player/prospect.  That 1st would not be top 10 though.  It would need to be in 

the next draft if the current one was top 10.

Markstrom is not at that level plus he's 34.

Holtz + 1st (if that rumour was even true), then NJD might've made the playoffs and picking in the 20s.

To trade into top 10 will cost a lot.  That's no disrespect to Markstrom and Andersson.

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Markstrom is not at that level plus he's 34.

Holtz + 1st (if that rumour was even true), then NJD might've made the playoffs and picking in the 20s.

To trade into top 10 will cost a lot.  That's no disrespect to Markstrom and Andersson.

I was saying that the rumored offer was a 1st + Holtz + another pick to retain salary.

It seems more than just a rumour.

Getting to the last WC with the lowest points would only have been 17th if they lose in Rd 1.

Unless we are talking about a pre-draft trade, NJ wouldn't offer the 1st.

Not unless they were a couple of spots ahead of us and we swapped picks.

So, maybe pre-draft NJ might consider 1st + Holtz + Stillman for Markstrom + Cgy 1st + retained salary.

Or something like that.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Good plan, but doubt Flames have the guts to do it…

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Well now you're changing the rules. lol

Byfield is a known quantity. I would sing like a bird as I traded our 1st and 2nd for him. And a Mangiapane if they wanted a player back. Markstrom with a retain? 

Don’t think so, referring to your comment about 10-50 pick parity and the value of more picks.  Again, the best strategy no matter whether few or many is take the best picks.  At the top of the draft the success probability is much higher versus lower down, so quality is best strategy in the top 1-3 ledges, and quantity lower down.  The key is having a good picture of where those ledges are.  Simple in theory, of course no one ever gets that exactly correct.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Is there a Russian RWer, alive today, that doesn't shoot left? lol

Is that not allowed in Russia? /s

good question lol.

Either it's not allowed, or they still teach players to actually take a pass on the back-hand there.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the time to trade-up is TDL, when picks are given away like candy. At the draft they are valued as gold.

• Like 1

Coming close to winning the cup, as close as a player can without winning it, Conroy might have an idea on the kind of team that wins it. Granted he's coming out of an era but has learnt to GM in the current one.

But I'm hoping he has a vision of how to, and starting with needing (an) elite Defender(s). 

id say you need one elite D and an elite C. Of course a real 2nd line C and so on, but I think building a team with cap is filling those spots wisely with proper cost allotments in every position. 

1 hour ago, cberg said:

Unfortunately the time to trade-up is TDL, when picks are given away like candy. At the draft they are valued as gold.

i think trading up in drafts works when it's 2-3 spots difference. The team trading down has to see value in the lower spot and gain another pick for it, like the Flames did with situations like Zary, etc. 

sometimes teams might trade a pick completely with no other firsts in return... 

so I see us being able to maybe trade our 9-11 to move up 6-8 using a 2nd rounder. I don't see a team trading out of their spot at 5 and getting the Canucks pick unless we are trading Andersson or Weegar.

If Jersey wants Marky, maybe they'd do Marky and  the Canucks pick for theirs. In that scenario I think they don't add Holtz.

You have to go back to 2008 for the last time a team traded back out of the top 5/6. Leafs had to give up a 2 and a 3 to move up 2 spots to get Luke Schenn. Cost a 2nd for the Preds to go from 9 to 7  that same year too.  Since then the only time a top 10 picks has changed hands is via a player trade. 

I think it would be very expensive for the Flames to move up and I think the price tag would be the Vancouver first. I think teams put a really high value on top 10 picks now.

• Like 1