Thoughts with the Snow family

conundrumed

My thoughts and heart are with the snow family. Chris is the best part of our front office. His story and determination gave me a reminder that life is more than sports but also a outlet to discover people's character and take lessons from the hard work of other. Thank you Chris for your fight. 

• Like 2

RIP.

Condolences to the family.

I'm certain that his legacy will not be soon forgotten.

I expect his addition to the Flames uni's this season. Every non-Flames hockey fan that I know has brought his story up with me now, so if nothing else, I'm glad that his story is widespread throughout the community.

Eddie took part in the SnowyChallenge if anyone is wondering how this came about. And like him(and Jack Johnson I should add), he would have dug deeper to see what he is supporting. I have little doubt that he would have reached out to Chris...and of has course the celebrity-power to do so. So I just want to say that the emotion that he's showing isn't fake.

It's why him and Jack Johnson are my 2 favourite songwriters. Both of those guys are basically fronts for charitable causes. I know from friends booking Jack Johnson for "Rock The Park" in London that you absolutely cannot just say, "we'll give you $10mil". It HAS to be  rock-solid donations to charitable causes with every penny forged in the contract. He only shows up for charity. If it's $10mil to his charity, fine. But he does not contract himself live for anything outside of charity.

This is the way with these 2 and why I'll always support them so heavily.

I very highly doubt that the phone call was random. He's the antithesis of a rock star, though a rock star that doesn't wanna be one. It's very admirable these days to see celebrities better understand their ability to raise money and awareness to things that matter.

He acknowledged Gord Downie on the Hip's farewell tour at a Pearl Jam Chicago show and the band were wearing Tragically Hip shirts.

Sorry to take this off track, I'm just a little wary that some folks may treat this as gimmicky rather than heartfelt. How many people in that audience would even know who Chris Snow is?

A lot of credit should also go to Neil Young for helping young artists cope with excess fame before it destroys them. That's a very real thing. Likely the only reason Pearl Jam is still around. He was also trying hard to pull Kurt Cobain back from the destructive path that Pearl Jam was on. I'm sure that's one of Neil's biggest regrets was letting fame win again.

Alas, I loved playing this song but was then asked to play it at a memorial for a friend that completed suicide. I wish that I'd said no. Because now it is always about that and I won't play it for random people. I just can't get through it without a breakdown.

Such a weighty song.

RIP Chris. From experience, this song gets played a lot, it will be a hard one to listen to from here on in for your loved ones. I guarantee that.

On 10/2/2023 at 6:22 AM, conundrumed said:

Eddie took part in the SnowyChallenge if anyone is wondering how this came about. And like him(and Jack Johnson I should add), he would have dug deeper to see what he is supporting. I have little doubt that he would have reached out to Chris...and of has course the celebrity-power to do so. So I just want to say that the emotion that he's showing isn't fake.

For reference here is Eddie and the Snow family at a Mariners game.  I believe their bond is created through former Saint Steve Gleason who has also been battling ALS for over a decade.

And for background on the bands connection with Gleason/ALS

• Thanks 1

Damn that's heavy, thanks!! I didn't know that connection. Great interview by Steve.

I noticed my link was pulled and not surprised. It was at 0 views when youtube alerted me.lol

For anyone that missed, Eddie is at the Ohana Festival (his own creation) and talks about Chris and the family asking for a version of this song for his memorial:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...